Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - August, 2002

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: tom won't gimme his strat even though i'm learning electric

your an idiot, if you were mark you could get tom's model for free, i hope no one believes that you are mark, he is way cooler than you.

Re: tom won't gimme his strat even though i'm learning electric

if you were mark, you wouldn't have to time to post this message, considering blink's video i miss you was to premiere 2 days after you posted this, and blink is getting ready for the european tour. asshole

Re: Tom Delonge Signature Strat

: I have 2 tom delonge strats but im not selling for less than $600!

: "I have 2 tom delonge strats but im not selling for less than $600!"

US or Canadian

TOM DELONGE SIGNATURE

DOES ANYONE HAVE A TOM DELONGE SIGNATURE GIBSON GUITAR, AND WOULD LIKE TO SELL IT FOR UNDER 500 DOLLARS? IF YOU DONT, THEN DO U KNOW WHERE I CAN GET ONE FOR UNDER 500 DOLLARS? PLEASE E-mail me back because i really want one

Re: TOM DELONGE SIGNATURE

You can't get a Tom Delonge Signature Gibson for less than $500. Its msrp is $2,000. Maybe a strat. Don't be cheap...you get what you pay for.

I need a tom delonge strat i live in the uk and cant find 1 any where

i live in SIngapore Does anyone want to sell tom delonge fender or squire guitar?

I have a BRAND NEW Tom Delonge Fender Strat signed by Tom Delong, I just got it.

$500?

charvel

hi anyone heard of or played a charvel fenix bass?
are they any good?
cheers for ya time
Ig

help! which are best chorus/delay pedals around?!

..which dont suck tone out of my vox too! are multieffects units like boss gt6 as good as a combo of pedals?

Re: help! which are best chorus/delay pedals around?!

BOSS!!!

Re: help! which are best chorus/delay pedals around?!

First off... I am an analog man. I believe that as far as traditional guitar effects go, nothing is better that a good analog pedal. That said, my experience with some of the better chorus effects are the Carl Martin XII, Fulltone Deja Vibe and Choral Flanger, and the Maxon CS-9. In terms of delay, I would go with the Maxon AD-9 first, but if not that, the Maxon AD-80. There ya go!

BOSS IS THE BEST !!!

I have alot of boss pedals from- metal zone,to its CE5 Chorus.. And the best delay i think is the DD5 digital delay, its a little more than other delay or reverb pedals but its worth it..

Re:best chorus/delay pedals around?!

Me,personally,I use an Electro-Harmonics Memory Man(very nice).Ibanez CS-9 + Boss DD3.
Multi-effects...RP-10 !! The chorus,delays,and reverbs are HUGE!Once I learned to tweak the E.Q. settings...loads of FUN.The distortions are o.k. but thats not why I bought it.

EVH

What is a good guitar for the explosive sound of earlier Van Halen other than the Ernie Ball one.

Re: EVH

wolfgang, its a peavey I belive. But it is really in the pickup/string/amp combination.

It's not just the guitar(which I beleive was mostly a Charvel for the early years), it was also his love and extensive use of the MXR Phase 90 pedal.

I am assuming that by earlier you are talking like the first few albums, like the sound he had on the eruption solo, and like up through the hot for teacher days on the 1984 album? If so, the guitars he used were a combination of various parts taken from other guitars. Even the pickups were altered like coils from one pickup, and magnets from another. The sound itself is also a very custom thing, and was a mix of certain things. In the eruption solo you are hearing a combination of an old Marshall Plexi amp, a phase pedal, and an old echoplex tape echo unit, along with whatever else they did in the studio to alter and fine tune his sound. Also the amp itself was modified and used with a Variac which was used to boost voltage to certain circuits in the amp to give him that killer overdrive. Remember a recorded guitar part, and a live sound are two totally different monsters. Anyway, enough of the studio tech. Obviously you are an EVH fan and I am sure you have seen the old VH videos like Panama, Jump, Hot for teacher, and so on. Well there are guitars that were used in the videos that you can actually still buy today. They aren't garanteed to give you EVH's playing ability, but check out this page and read about the whole EVH Kramer thing here. Also I thought you might want to check out the Line 6 AX2 212 if you can find one still, or the new Vetta from Line 6. I own the AX2 212, and It has given me every tone that I wanted, both now and the ones I only dreamt of. As a matter of fact there are 2 presets for EVH sounds on my amp that are pretty killer. Anyway, hope the helped. http://www.musicyo.com/product_specs.asp?pf_id=984

Need help with my ultimate guitar

Hiya,

After having to sell my beautiful US Dlx Strat (named 'Buffy') to pay the rent, I've decided to use my Jap 60s reissue as the basis of a new project. MY PERFECT GUITAR!

I intend to strip the body (thinking either Nitromors stripper of perhaps getting it professionally 'dipped' at a furniture place) and have it resprayed in splendid and sexy British Racing Green.

Then a nice refret with a more substantial guage fretwire & I'll be replacing the nut. What's the best choice here? Graphite?

I have a set of Texas Specials and I like the sound but for more driven, humbucker-y tones, I want to install a Clapton mid boost. My cunning plan would be to use the 2nd tone pot not only to control the boost, but also as a push/pull pot which can switch the boost in and out, saving on battery wear, as well as allowing me to preserve the pure single coil sound.

I was was wondering if a) is this sort of on/off operation possible and b) will it require anything in the way of removing great chunks from the back of my guitar?

If I'm feeling really adventurous, I might use the first tone pot to control output from some under-saddle piezo saddles for the more acoustic moments.

Suggestions on combining the two on one guitar would be GREATLY appreciated! And whilst I'm sure it's been covered a thousand times, I would love to get the lowdown on how to earth/shield everything to make it as quiet as possible.

Asking a bit much I know, but I'm despondant after losing Buffy and only you people can help ease the pain....

Thanks in advance, and I intend to keep you all updated as to how i get on.

Ben

Re: Need help with my ultimate guitar

: Hiya,

: After having to sell my beautiful US Dlx Strat (named 'Buffy') to pay the rent, I've decided to use my Jap 60s reissue as the basis of a new project. MY PERFECT GUITAR!

: I intend to strip the body (thinking either Nitromors stripper of perhaps getting it professionally 'dipped' at a furniture place) and have it resprayed in splendid and sexy British Racing Green.

: Then a nice refret with a more substantial guage fretwire & I'll be replacing the nut. What's the best choice here? Graphite?

: I have a set of Texas Specials and I like the sound but for more driven, humbucker-y tones, I want to install a Clapton mid boost. My cunning plan would be to use the 2nd tone pot not only to control the boost, but also as a push/pull pot which can switch the boost in and out, saving on battery wear, as well as allowing me to preserve the pure single coil sound.

: I was was wondering if a) is this sort of on/off operation possible and b) will it require anything in the way of removing great chunks from the back of my guitar?

: If I'm feeling really adventurous, I might use the first tone pot to control output from some under-saddle piezo saddles for the more acoustic moments.

: Suggestions on combining the two on one guitar would be GREATLY appreciated! And whilst I'm sure it's been covered a thousand times, I would love to get the lowdown on how to earth/shield everything to make it as quiet as possible.

: Asking a bit much I know, but I'm despondant after losing Buffy and only you people can help ease the pain....

: Thanks in advance, and I intend to keep you all updated as to how i get on.

: Ben

There ain't no such animal!
You can't have an axe that does it all.
Yah gotta have a Les Paul,Strat,Tele,Danno,Ricky,Gretsche and an Ibanez just for a start, just to cover all the basic tones then slowly add more as required.
You think I'm jokin' but I'm serious.
Otherwise find one good basic axe with it's own distinctive tone and create your own individual tone/style/sound etc
You may see your heros using ONE axe on stage or in ads but in reality they're using a multitude of axes/amps to get that variety of tones.

Re: Need help with my ultimate guitar

Hi!

I just got back my new custom-build strat with a Clapton mid-boost.I don't think you should try the on/off switch,the booster will be shut down by turning back the booster to 0db anyway and it's got a lot of wiring as it is !The only extra I've got is a switch that turns my dimarzio x2n humbucker (killer-sound with the mid-boost)back to single-coil and we've had some trouble to put on the pick-guard without your on/off switch.I think you'd be better off with a reloadable battery if you'd wanna save on batteries (and leave some wood on your guitar)!

The mid-boost is unbelievable,you'll have a great toy here!I wish you lots of fun,may you want to now more about my project(believe me,it worked out so fine that I didn't touch my Les Paul and SRV-strat after finishing it),just ask me.

Greetings,
Rinke

beginner needs songs!!

I know the major chords except for F. I am really getting bored and want songs that use mainly the major chords. Thanks a lot!!
Erk

Re: beginner needs songs!!

Learn more chords!!!

OK fair point but you might also want to look at www.olga.net - loads of songs either in tab or chord format

try playing some NIRVANA song.........pretty easy

lyle bass giutar

lyle bass giutar

This popular thread has been given its own page : lyle bass giutar

Mesa or marshall?

I was wondering which amplifier i should get between a mesa and a marshall. Money isn't really a problem I'm after sound quality with a rhythm sound like metallica or nickleback but i also need a solo tone like steve morse or Joe Satriani and i need a nice clean tone as well I also need to be able to switch between the three easily with a footswitch. I'm probably asking alot but is there any amp out there that can do this or am i referred to pedals and if so what pedals do i need?

Re: Mesa or marshall?

I run a Marshall Valvestate2000 avt100 and it does pretty much what you want. However if I could afford it I would get a Mesa/Boogie. Metallica use them and they sound awesome. Duel Rectifiers are great but most Mesa's on the market kick arse.

: I run a Marshall Valvestate2000 avt100 and it does pretty much what you want. However if I could afford it I would get a Mesa/Boogie. Metallica use them and they sound awesome. Duel Rectifiers are great but most Mesa's on the market kick arse.

The Marshall or the Boogie will give you the overdriven tones you're looking for but if money is not a problem and you want an excellent clean tone get a Fender Twin or Prosonic or Vibrolux as well and run whichever you choose in stereo with the Marshall or Boogie.
You'll never need another amp and will have every friggin tone you want.
Joe Walsh plays in stereo: Small Marshall one side small Fender on the other plus a Leslie Cab in the middle.
Use either a good stereo multi effects pedal such as a Digitech RP-7 or a Leem splitter with your choice of stomp boxes to split the signal to each amp and the world of tone is your oyster. You'll never play in mono again.

Do yo really need to ask?
MESA, MESA, MESA
Belive me if these three option are what yo uwant this is the way to go.

MANN copy of a Les Paul Custom

MANN copy of a Les Paul Custom

This popular thread has been given its own page : MANN copy of a Les Paul Custom

OT news Jazz site great Videoclips free download by Bird, Gillespie, Boney James, Coltrane, Gerry Mu

Download free videoclips by

Coleman Hawkins,
Julian Adderley "Cannonball",
John Coltrane,
Charlie Parker,
Dizzy Gillespie,
Boney James,
1986 VII Festival Jazz Jacksonville (Gerry Mulligan, Branford Marsalis, Nick
Brignola)
Jay Beckenstein (Spyro Gyra),
Sophie Alour

and other great artists...

section:
Videoclips Jazz/Sax =>

http://spazioinwind.libero.it/gabrielesax/

Thanks
Gabriele (Italy)

ART SGX2000E

Display of my ART SGX2000E show me "abracadabra's words". Many non-responsible letters and no more...
Press "bypass" - clipping all outs leds.
No sound, no hum. May be somebody can help me.

The Guitar Pedal Archive [new update]

The Guitar Pedal Archive [new update]

This popular thread has been given its own page : The Guitar Pedal Archive [new update]

epi guitar

can you tell me how much my guitar is worth

Re: epi guitar

: can you tell me how much my guitar is worth model ed 100

Nagoya

Nagoya

This popular thread has been given its own page : Nagoya

Guild X-82

I have a Guild X-82...the star shaped guitar...the serial no. dates it to 1981. It has a grey/white pebble finish on it, except the back of the neck, which is satin finish on the mahogany. I'm fairly sure that this is not the original finish, but I would like to know for sure. If anybody can provide some more knowledge/details, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Mesa boggie help

After saving for months I finally got a mesa boggie triple rectifier and I love it but doese anyone know any settings for this amp

Re: Mesa boggie help

Just try some settings man... whatever you think sounds nice...

Amp for small gigs???

I currently have a Rogue MHT-1000 hybrid 2X12 amp. I am starting a band with a couple buddies and we have some bars lined up to play in and other small gigs. I like this amp except for the fact that the second you touch the contour knob, the amount of hiss sky rockets. I read somewheres on the net that if you replace the sovtek 12ax7 preamp tube the amp comes with with a corvin, the hiss just about vanishes. Should I just save up for a better amp or try a different preamp tube. And if I were to get a new amp, what is a ood brand, under $500 for a 1 or 2X12, Marshall, Fender, etc.? Thanksfor any help!

Re: Amp for small gigs???

Try the line 6 flextone 2 XL

: I currently have a Rogue MHT-1000 hybrid 2X12 amp. I am starting a band with a couple buddies and we have some bars lined up to play in and other small gigs. I like this amp except for the fact that the second you touch the contour knob, the amount of hiss sky rockets. I read somewheres on the net that if you replace the sovtek 12ax7 preamp tube the amp comes with with a corvin, the hiss just about vanishes. Should I just save up for a better amp or try a different preamp tube. And if I were to get a new amp, what is a ood brand, under $500 for a 1 or 2X12, Marshall, Fender, etc.? Thanksfor any help!

knackered pick up ?

I have a 1959 les paul custom - the back pickup has developed a 90% drop in volume. Any ideas (original pick ups)

Tokai MAT

Looking for old Tokai MAT guitars and/or parts, project guitars too. Please send me an email if you have one for sale.

Ibanez rgt42

I am looking to get an Ibanez rgt42 it has the thru neck. can anybody tell me how it plays? I am going to change the pickups but does it look well built and does the back of the neck slow you down because it is painted? thanks for the help

Re: Ibanez rgt42

: I am looking to get an Ibanez rgt42 it has the thru neck. can anybody tell me how it plays? I am going to change the pickups but does it look well built and does the back of the neck slow you down because it is painted? thanks for the help I just bought one yesterday and she plays like a dream. She's got all the features I like....the through neck, lock n trem, etc. Mines a dark emerald green, 24 fret, looks cool and the neck is smooth and easy. The pick-ups create a good meaty sound unlike the tinny whine of her contemporarys. all in all, she's got everything I need in a great rockin axe. Go buy one right away. Steve in the UK.

Re: Ibanez rgt42

This is my second Ibanez (rg560) and I love it. It plays great. The painted neck shouldn't slow you down but what I do on my les paul with a painted neck is get some very light sand paper and smooth it out. It makes it into a satin finish instead of a gloss. I've done this on my rg560 also when the satin finish wore smooth. Once you play this thing you might not want wo switch out the pick ups. They are pretty hot. Best of luck to you.

GOTH V

Hey all,
I am new here, and I just bought a mint Epiphone Goth Flying V on e-bay for $300.00. (couldn't afford the Gibby)
I am real happy with this axe, and I am just wondering if anyone else here has a Goth.
I have no clue what to use to clean the finish, as it is a flat black.
Any suggestions?

Why are my floyed rose tuners so hard to get in tune?

Why is it so hard to tune the floyed rose bridge? am i doing somethign wrong?

Re: Why are my floyed rose tuners so hard to get in tune?

The springs behind the bridge contribute to the tension of the strings. The usual trick is to tune one side further than you need to (i.e. E, B and G slightly sharp assuming every string is flat) then when you tune the other 3 strings to the correct pitch it will pull the other side more or less into tune. Then you just need to fine tune, which will be more stable.

One other trick, try putting 5 springs into the back instead of the standard 3. The tension should be more even as a result.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2021 , All Rights Reserved.

Affiliate Notice: As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.