Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - January, 2003

Archive for posts from January, 2003

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: How Do you Solo Over Changing Chords

I'm not sure if this will help but here goes: usually there is one key that you can stay in and play different notes of the same scale over all the chords in the progression. You may have to fiddle with which scale is the right scale, but your ear will tell you which one is right.

HOWEVER, there is something even more useful that will benefit you immensely as you continue your lifelong journey of discovering the guitar. If you can learn how to play all your scales at all hand positions in the neck, you will be able to change the scale you are playing without even changing your hand position. So if you are playing an "A" chord in the 5th position, if you can play your A scale, your C scale and your D scale while your hand is in the 5th position you will find a whole world of possibilites open up to you.

I'm still not a master of this simple little lesson, I'm still a student as well.

Re: How Do you Solo Over Changing Chords

I'm assuming your playing in a minor key (A,C,D)- this implies that you're in the key of a minor. What are the notes in an a minor scale? A,B C D E F G. However, for some interesting harmonic tools, try throwing in accidentals and stuff- use the harmonic minor scale (this is your usual minor scale except it has a raised 7th, so you'd play G sharp instead of just G.) Or use the blues scale (in a minor this is A C D E flat E D) Just some suggestions you probably know anyhow but I hope this helps.

*****SOULFLY PATCHES .()()(). PLEASE********

im looking for patches in general, but it would be great if i can find the SOULFLY Ones

thx

*****SOULFLY PATCHES .()()(). PLEASE********

im looking for patches in general, but it would be great if i can find the SOULFLY Ones

thx

hohner G299N

Can anyone tell me anything about this guitar? Is it any good?

How do you get a good heavy distortion sound?

I play a 1971 Ibanez Lesp Paul copy. I have 3 amplifiers: A Peavey Rage 158, Line 6 Spider 12, and a Fender Ultimate Chorus. I never use the fender, it has too much mid range and too weak of a sound. The line 6 sounds good when I play but bad when I mic it. Sounds too thin and has ear splitting treble. The bass just makes it sound muffled. The Rage 158 acutally sounds ok, but somewhat staticy. I have 3 distortion pedals; a Danelectro Fab Tone Distortion, Boss Heavy Metal, and Ibanez Power Lead. I only use the Fab tone but I can't find a good balance between the treble and bass. The music I write is a cross between grunge, with influences like Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots and Nirvana, and Hard Rock/Heavy Metal, with bands like Nine Inch Nails, Marilyn Manson, and Korn. If anyone has any suggestions for good amps, pedals, or effects for this type of sound, please let me know.

Thanks,
Dave

Blue Voodoo wiring?!?!?!

anyone have a SCHEMATIC or a WIRING DIAGRAM for the Crate BV60 combo...??? i need to know which power transformer wires go to WHERE...

THANKS,,,

Great Deals on all guitars.

Just call for great deals on all new guitars. Best prices on the net.
888.590.9700 x1101

!948 Silvertone

If you have a price on this guitar call me at (417)673-7749.

santana

how to set up like carlos santana GUITAR

Fender Alexus 30 XX

Someone wants to sell me this guitar - Fender Alexus 30 XX. He says its 30 years old and worth $1,400, it seems to be in good condition. Need to know how much its really worth. Help???

Gibson vs. Epiphone Les Paul

Would somebody besides a salesperson tell me the REAL differences between the two? I usually get "there's really no difference" (yeah...right....price tag....duh) or "the Epiphones made out of cheaper materials" (....no s**t!!...what gave it away....price??). If it's cheaper materials, what are they specifically?

Re: Gibson vs. Epiphone Les Paul

The real difference comes down to materials selection. When wood is purchased it comes in different grades...pore structure, density, grain, etc. Epiphone uses a lower grade...can our ears hear the difference? Probably not, maybe a dog can. Also, Epiphone will use less quality parts. The pickups aren't as good (i.e. probably cost just a couple of bucks to make), the pots and switches aren't as good and probably don't have gold contacts. The fret wire is probably a cheeper alloy of metal. You name it Epiphone is going to use an inferior material. As far as craftsmanship, I personally feel that Epiphones are put together just as well as Gobson, afterall those Koreans have more to loose if their production slips than do their American counterparts. I go with Epiphone because of price and if they're properly set up you can't tell the difference in a blind taste test (with the exception of the pickups of course). Hope this helps.

This helps a lot. Best answer I've got from anywhere. Thanks smeagol.

no problem

no problem, good to hear some appreciation for once on this site.

I personally feel a great deal of differences between the epi & the Gibson. Not only in the sound quality but in the playability as well (craftsmen ship). Handmade Vs. Machinemade. It is true that you can find duds but Gibson takes alot of time and do several inspections so that they don't slip through(hand made). They truely hold to their name.I own a LPS-EBCH equiped with a Bigsby. Save your $$$$ and get the real thing you'll know the difference after playing one for a periode of time. As for the blind test, I'm up for it!..;)
I've played both

Yup it's the materials, and some epis (and gibsons too) are poorly made, so you usually have to inspect a few to get a 'good' one, but an epi w/new pickups is cheaper than a gibson and generally sounds as good.

: Would somebody besides a salesperson tell me the REAL differences between the two? I usually get "there's really no difference" (yeah...right....price tag....duh) or "the Epiphones made out of cheaper materials" (....no s**t!!...what gave it away....price??). If it's cheaper materials, what are they specifically?

Re: Gibson vs. Epiphone Les Paul PICK -UP

So you say it has inferior Pick-Ups, Now what Type of pick-up would one want to install After Getting to Improve the Sound.

Re: Gibson vs. Epiphone Les Paul PICK -UP

Try GIBSON humbuckers, your choice depending on sound you want.

Help! KML analog effects equipment

Has anyone out there heard of a company called KML that made high-end effects equipment circa 70's or early 80's? I just purchased a whole lot of stuff (effects processor, huge floor piece with multiple pedals and effects and lights, with a Roland chorus echo attached, and also a KML Amp. Thanks for the help!

Mesa/Boogie Mark III

I just got a used mark III i was so excited, i forgot to plug in the damn speaker, so it was on for like a minute then it turned off. I cant get it to turn back on. I checked the fuse. Is it a power tube, a preamp tube, or something internal.

Re: Mesa/Boogie Mark III

: I just got a used mark III i was so excited, i forgot to plug in the damn speaker, so it was on for like a minute then it turned off. I cant get it to turn back on. I checked the fuse. Is it a power tube, a preamp tube, or something internal.

This is one of the bad things about boogies and all amps.Always have a speaker hooked up the power has to go somewere boogies have on-line manuals at there site this might help get you started.They claim no speaker can damage tubes trans ect .But you did not run long enough to do much harm .Take a look at the manual online and go from there.Prob a power tube .
If you live in or near NH look up lustone.com he`s the best boogie man i know .
good luck
Bob tremontguitars.com

Re: Mesa/Boogie Mark III

When a tube amp is used without a speaker, it is running on an empty load. This will cause the tubes to fuck out, and you have to replace the powertubes

Fernandes Nomads?

Ok I've heard the sam amount of good and bad reviews. Now I'm looking at the '02 Deluxe because it offers more thigns ot play around with with out buying all that stuff. But I was just wondering if anyoen here has some real input about it. Thanks

Encore semi acoustic?

Hi,
I'm looking for anything anybody can tell me about a guitar I got hold of not so long ago... It's a deep-bodied semi acoustic, single cutaway, brown sunburst, very well made with a nice action and a great sound - and an Encore. Being more used to Gibsons and Gretsches it came as a surprise to find such a nice guitar with a name I'd always associated with cheap rubbish, and I'd like to find out a little more about it. Suggestions, anyone?
Thanks,
Charlotte

Re: Encore semi acoustic?

: hello charlotte - try this site

http://www.petes-music-emporium.co.uk/for_the/cheapest_acoustic_guitars/manufactured_by/encore.htm

Re: Encore semi acoustic?

I've got an encore semi acoustic, brown sunburst, and it absolutely rubbish. I suggest you stick with your initial impression of the company. Encore practically rhymes with shit

Adamas I 1687 or 1688

WANTED: Early Adamas I, 1687 or 1688. Any condition.

Re: Adamas I 1687 or 1688 I got one!!!!! cheap

I have one that was run over by a herd of rhinos. Its all fucked up but I could let it go if your mom is willing to kick out some pie.

Re: Adamas I 1687 or 1688

: WANTED: Early Adamas I, 1687 or 1688. Any condition.

I HAVE 78 1687 IN LIKE NEW CONDITION IF YOU ARE INTERESTED LET ME KNOW S#570-90

Did you already sell it?

I HAVE 78 1687 IN LIKE NEW CONDITION IF YOU ARE INTERESTED LET ME KNOW S#570-90

Hi,ED SCHULZ
Did you already sell it? If not, please mail me.

Adamas I 1687 or 1688 prices? New

: WANTED: Early Adamas I, 1687 or 1688. New...

about guitars

Wes Borland i love ya, hope you come out with some new stuff!

Re: about guitars

I got some new stuff...coming at ya like goo all over you

You

Wanted to give J-Dawg and Jason a shout out . Can't wait to jam with yall at 6.

LaTa

Your Girl

hey whatsup to all the guitar players out there, I wanna learn how to play but its hard for me too cause im a blonde.. Cradle Of Filth YOU RULE!!

Re: Your Girl

: hey whatsup to all the guitar players out there, I wanna learn how to play but its hard for me too cause im a blonde.. Cradle Of Filth YOU RULE!!

hi brandy,you can come over my house for free guitar lessons!!!!

Hey Brandy, keep in mind that Cradle of Filth has a blonde guitarist in the band...I met COF in Carbondale Illinois about 2 months ago...pretty cool, although Dani sorta keeps to himself...*shrugs*...oh well, Merry Cradlemas...\m/
Speedwolf

are you fucking retarded?

Go back to the mall you airhead!!!!!!!!!

Ibanez Iceman BLueprints

Hi
I want to build my own Ibanez Iceman (have u seen the prices on those PS10's ?) If someone can help, I'd be more than grateful
Thanks!!

lem oil

How do you apply lem oil, with the strings on or off? I wasn't sure if it would deaden the strings or not?

Re: lem oil

: How do you apply lem oil, with the strings on or off? I wasn't sure if it would deaden the strings or not?

Why use it at all ? is the fingerboard that dry ? I don`t recondmend it for my guitars .When my guitars are built i give the finger board one coat of stweart Macdonalds fretboard finishing oil .Only because i use naptha before i fret this is a nasty chemical -degreaser. To me lem/linseed/teak just don`t dry and after a while will loosen up a fret .some guitar makers will disagree with me.The stuff from stews drys over night and won`t oil up your strings.
good luck
Bob tremontguitars.com

Re: lem oil

lemon oil dont have strings

marshall avt150h set up

anyone have any tips ideas to get the best sound for rock with above amp I have a strat and les paul but its my first marshall thanks

HEEEEELLP GUITARFILES.NET

Hi I' m Italian, I'm in a lake of sorrow...last day I was downloading a lot of guitar material from guitarfiles.net
Yesterday on the homepage appear a login with "Username" and "Password".<The guitarfiles site is close!> I've thinked.

But I believe that this is not the true.Are you still downloading files from guitarfiles.net???If yes can you send to me an e-mail of the staff?I can pay the entire site for a username and password...I need theme files!My idea is also to share my files!Can you help me??What do I do to contact guitarfiles staff????????THANKS A LOT

Re: HEEEEELLP GUITARFILES.NET

I am in the same situation as you, and i can't help you. For the new year, i found that url and i began to download things, but at the next day, a password was required.If you have a solution yet, please, tell me. Arrivederci

: Hi I' m Italian, I'm in a lake of sorrow...last day I was downloading a lot of guitar material from guitarfiles.net
: Yesterday on the homepage appear a login with "Username" and "Password".<The guitarfiles site is close!> I've thinked.

: But I believe that this is not the true.Are you still downloading files from guitarfiles.net???If yes can you send to me an e-mail of the staff?I can pay the entire site for a username and password...I need theme files!My idea is also to share my files!Can you help me??What do I do to contact guitarfiles staff????????THANKS A LOT

I am in the same situation That you both! If you find a password please mail me!

L'unico sito dove conoscono la password è guitarplayer.ru ma se non sei russo la password te la scordi visto che non puoi contribuire allo sviluppo del forum. Io la password non c'e l'ho e non me la danno, l'unico modo per averla è conoscere qualcuno che parla russo.

How could i rewire an ibanez humbucker?

Recently a friend of mine gave me the single pickup, pots and 5 way switch from his Ibanez RG270, I have an RG120. I have already cut a slot for the single pickup between the two humbuckers, but i cant wire it like the 270 because the humbuckers are wired together so there is only one positive and ground line from each, where on the 270 there is two posi outputs, is it possible to rewire the humbuckers from my 120? I have opened one of the humbuckers up and it appears they are wired in series, so just splitting the two positive wires apart and running a separate wire for one of them and the splicing the two grounds together should work right? Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks!
Greg K

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2022 , All Rights Reserved.

Affiliate Notice: As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.