Guitar Discussion Forum Archive - March, 2004

Archive for posts from March, 2004

ArchiveFebruary 2004 ] [ ArchiveJanuary 2004 ] [ ArchiveDecember 2003 ] [ ArchiveNovember 2003 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2003 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2003 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2003 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2003 ] [ ArchiveJune 2003 ] [ ArchiveMay 2003 ] [ ArchiveApril 2003 ] [ ArchiveMarch 2003 ] [ ArchiveFebruary 2003 ] [ ArchiveJanuary 2003 ] [ ArchiveDecember 2002 ] [ ArchiveNovember 2002 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2002 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2002 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2002 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2002 ] [ ArchiveJune 2002 ] [ ArchiveMay 2002 ] [ ArchiveApril 2002 ] [ ArchiveMarch 2002 ] [ ArchiveFebruary 2002 ] [ ArchiveJanuary 2002 ] [ ArchiveDecember 2001 ] [ ArchiveNovember 2001 ] [ ArchiveOctober 2001 ] [ ArchiveSeptember 2001 ] [ ArchiveAugust 2001 ] [ ArchiveJuly 2001 ] [ ArchiveJune 2001 ] [ ArchiveMay 2001 ] [ ArchiveApril 2001 ] [ ArchiveMarch 2001 ]

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Burns jazz guitar split sound

Hello, i`m looking for information about thi guitar. Specially looking for awireing diagramm and adjustment.

Robert Flemming Jr

I need some info on this dude as quicky as possibly alright? can you dudes help me out?

Re: Robert Flemming Jr

HELP! MY PROJECT ON GUITARS IS DUE TOMORROW!! PLEASE HELP! CAN YOU TELL ME ALL ABOUT GUITARS AND HOW AND WHY THEY WERE MADE? THANKS!

neck-thru sanding

I want to remove the paint from my neck-thru guitar. Is it a bad idea to be sanding (by hand) over the seams where the neck meets the body? I seem to recall someone saying not to take paint off near the seams as this can let moisture in between the wood and compromise the construction. Anyone know if that's true? I can't see the line where the body piece meets the neck piece being anymore susceptible to moisture damage than the lines on a traditional 2-or 3-piece body..

Thanks

George

giannini - looks great sounds bad

I have this great-looking giannini guitar built in 1978. It has all the qualities of a great guitar - solid rosewood back and sides, solid spruce top and looks like a million. The problem is the sound is very weak and it has no sustain at all. Is this the D'Addario strings or is this just a lousy guitar that looks great and plays like a dog. It is 25+ years old and looks like it was never played.

Re: giannini - looks great sounds bad

i have a really old one also, it might be the strings your using, try re-stringing it with nylons only. older guitars take better to them.

Epiphone Les Paul

Whats the best Les Paul made by Epiphone? i dont really feel like buying a Gibson when i can buy a good Epiphone and throw some nice pick ups on there for way less money.

thanks

Re: Epiphone Les Paul

get a set neck standard sunburst, the pickups on the newer models have got better, they have started potting them which helps with squeely feedback problems, if you do change them try Kent Armstrong, they are not very expensive and fantastic quality.
Lee

need manuel

if some one has a copy of manuel for tascam porta studio could you email it to me

Re: need manuel

go to:
http://www.tascam.com/manuals.php?nav=support&pid=255

all the manuals are on there, there are about 20 different types of portastudio all downloadable in .pdf format.
Lee

Looking for free/shareware synth

I'm a serious guitarist looking for freeware/shareware that would enable me to create the sounds of violins, brass etc. with my guitar. Is there such a thing in freeware/shareware? Would I need midi of some sort to use it? If so, is there midi freeware that would work for this? Keep it simple for me if possible, please :). I don't know much electronics, just guitar playing.

Thanks sincerely,
Brian Butler
Wisconsin

need infos about Riverhead Headway Guitar 1980?

Hi all,

I have bought an old Riverhead guitar (no bass) made by Headway Japan,
on second hand store in Germany.
Serial No.: AC 5827
I need every info you can give me about this guitar.
(wich tremolo is it, where can I get spare parts etc.....)
I think there is no contact person because the Headway Factory burnt down about 1980 ?
Hope you can help me

With friendly regards from Austria
Ralf

Re: need infos about Riverhead Headway Guitar 1980?

: Hi all,

: I have bought an old Riverhead guitar (no bass) made by Headway Japan,
: on second hand store in Germany.
: Serial No.: AC 5827
: I need every info you can give me about this guitar.
: (wich tremolo is it, where can I get spare parts etc.....)
: I think there is no contact person because the Headway Factory burnt down about 1980 ?
: Hope you can help me

: With friendly regards from Austria
: Ralf

i also have one , i had 2 in the 80's great guitars. they sold for 1100 in the 80's heres there site http://www.deviser.co.jp/

Why do most metal guitarists use ESP guitars?

Is it because ESP are the best guitars you can buy? or is it because ESP would make a custom "shit" guitar if someone wanted it :P?..seems like they'll make a custom for anyone..unlike fender or gibson.

I've played ESPs and i'd rather a Gibson Les Paul any day

...so why is it?

Re: Why do most metal guitarists use ESP guitars?

: Is it because ESP are the best guitars you can buy? or is it because ESP would make a custom "shit" guitar if someone wanted it :P?..seems like they'll make a custom for anyone..unlike fender or gibson.
there only for show. most of the guitarest are paid to have them on there videos.
: I've played ESPs and i'd rather a Gibson Les Paul any day

: ...so why is it?

It's because they have a tight sound for palm muting and machine gunning techniques, and are constructed so that it is easier to do these sorts of things.
A Gibson may be better quality but it is harder to do the kind of techniques a metal guitar player uses.

the reason why a lot of metal players use ESP's or have custom made ESPs is because ESP is a company that is committed to guitar players without having to compromise quality for some AAA flamed top piece of wood that is priced to look good. also, ESPs can withstand the rigors of road use with little effect on its usability. ever broken a les paul's neck? i have. tough luck on replacing that neck while on tour - thats 2,000 bucks down the drain because its a set neck and gibson doesnt readily replace broken necks.

ESPs are good because they are musician oriented at all price levels. no one should have to go without playing a good guitar because they can't afford a back breaking les paul. me? i could have bought a gibson les paul but i opted to have 2 ESPs custom made and got a Paul Reed Smith for the more tonier stuff.

Rare guitar

does anyone have an Ovation GP1-s. Similar to the one josh homme uses as i really want to buy one and have searched for ages and i still can't find one

Re: Rare guitar

: does anyone have an Ovation GP1-s. Similar to the one josh homme uses as i really want to buy one and have searched for ages and i still can't find one

: i have one in pretty good condition...

: i have a sunburst one in very good condition i purchased about 8 years ago with a case i believe it is rare!! sounds awesome

harmonica tab

Could anyone send me the harmonica tab of "the times they are a chang'in" of Bob Dylan

Re: harmonica tab

: Could anyone send me the harmonica tab of "the last dance with mary Jane Harmonica Tablature?" Thank you please

Distortion pedal Er-1 T. Miranda

Anybody what in California lives has a called pedal Eruption to sell? I tested
this pedal and I found fantastic only that the owner didn't want to sell me.

Marcelo.

Pedal de distorção Er-1 T. Miranda

Anybody what in California lives has a called pedal Eruption to sell? I tested
this pedal and I found fantastic only that the owner didn't want to sell me.

Marcelo.

authenticate my fender??????????

I brought my fender jazz back in the 70' and I don't know what its worth now or if it's authentic..how can I realy tell? my sel. # is 507627????? HELP!!!!

Re: authenticate my fender??????????

it was made in 1976, if it says made in usa on the headstock then i think you can say its authentic, nobodys going to try and dupe a guitar from 76', cost? you would have to say $1000 +

Lee.

Guild Madeira P-812 '12 string

I have had this guitar for 20 years and bought it for 80 pounds (around 120 $) can anyone tell me the value today?
I am not wanting to sell such a good instrument but I need to know the value as it is not insured.

guitar

who,when,and where was the guitar invented by robert f. flemming

Re: guitar

and why?

Need help determining this vintage guitar

Need help determining this vintage guitar

This popular thread has been given its own page : Need help determining this vintage guitar

Les Paul/EMG Question

I was thinking about getting a Epi Les Paul Custom in Alpine White and replacing the stock pickups with some EMGs..i think it'll look awesome and sound great. Now the guitar costs about 600 bucks...what ths average price for good EMG pickups?

Re: Les Paul/EMG Question

: I was thinking about getting a Epi Les Paul Custom in Alpine White and replacing the stock pickups with some EMGs..i think it'll look awesome and sound great. Now the guitar costs about 600 bucks...what ths average price for good EMG pickups?

If you are going with the zakk wylde sound, then get a EMG-81 and a EMG-85. But that will cost around 200 bucks. But if you are not going with the zakk wylde sound go for two H3 pickups

Seville Guitars

Does anyone know anything about the Seville brand of guitars? I have an S-32 model and have no knowledge about it whatsoever other than it was made in Korea. I love this guitar, it is probably the best sounding guitar I've ever played. If someone has any info on these guitars, please let me know.

Marshall MG15 DFX

Just bougth it, and the sound is basically good, but...sometimes its sounds like a jet engine is powering up, probably something to do with the Digital effects that comes with it. This SUCKS, and its completely useless for recording purposes. Anyone with similar experiences?

Are Kramer Guitars Good?

Re: Are Kramer Guitars Good?

i have a 1984 Kramer electric and im told it's a bad year and it's not good

Re: Are Kramer Guitars Good?

i think kramer guitars are bad ass,god sound

tuners

i got them but u ant gettin dem boya

Re: tuners

nice..

Someone help me achieve a cool sound!

Alright i've got a fender telecaster and a 30 watt with overdrive...no pedals or anything...and needless to say it doesent sound exactly awesome...what kinda effects pedal do i need to get an awesome metal sound..like iron maiden..and metallica...and pantera...stuff like that?....thanks

Re: Someone help me achieve a cool sound!

first of all, ditch the tele, no heavy metal player ever used one, you need something with humbuckers, like a les paul, then get yourself a good distortion pedal, maybe a proco turbo rat.

Lee

Yes sir! *runs to local guitar store* ....but just for the record...James Hetfield sports a 1952 Tele ;)

: first of all, ditch the tele, no heavy metal player ever used one, you need something with humbuckers, like a les paul, then get yourself a good distortion pedal, maybe a proco turbo rat.

: Lee

you asked the question i gave the answer, nobody but nobody who plays heavy metal ever played a telecaster, james may sport one, but show mw a pic of him playing it live, we are talking standard telecasters, 2 thin and weedy single coil pickups. you could try replacing your bridge pickup with a seymore duncan 'hotrails' humbucker, but for the money you would pay its not worth it, sell the tele and get something with humbuckers on, or start learning those country and western rifs! and invest in a nice pair of sparkly cowboy boots, yeehah.
Lee (just kidding)

lol...country sounds tempting...but it looks like i'll have to les paul the fuck outta myself...thanks for the tips

: you asked the question i gave the answer, nobody but nobody who plays heavy metal ever played a telecaster, james may sport one, but show mw a pic of him playing it live, we are talking standard telecasters, 2 thin and weedy single coil pickups. you could try replacing your bridge pickup with a seymore duncan 'hotrails' humbucker, but for the money you would pay its not worth it, sell the tele and get something with humbuckers on, or start learning those country and western rifs! and invest in a nice pair of sparkly cowboy boots, yeehah.
: Lee (just kidding)

uhhhhh??? duh...... what he said.

Don't listen to these IDIOTS!
Any guitarist worth his salt would tell you tone comes from your fingers! You can have all the best gear but if you can't play whats the point?

I've got a USA strat with a hot rails pickup in the bridge and a standard mex tele so I know what Im talking about. The tele is different but it certainly isn't crap! I can play all those great metal riffs on the tele and get just as good a tone maybe a little thinner but nothing to worry about.

So save your money learn to play well on the gear you've got then invest in a good quality valve amp.

Oh..and as for no playing rock on a tele, Hendrix played one on a regular basis!

Hope this helps

Re: Someone tell me how to get good sounds without pedals

: Don't listen to these IDIOTS!
: Any guitarist worth his salt would tell you tone comes from your fingers! You can have all the best gear but if you can't play whats the point?

: I've got a USA strat with a hot rails pickup in the bridge and a standard mex tele so I know what Im talking about. The tele is different but it certainly isn't crap! I can play all those great metal riffs on the tele and get just as good a tone maybe a little thinner but nothing to worry about.

: So save your money learn to play well on the gear you've got then invest in a good quality valve amp.

: Oh..and as for no playing rock on a tele, Hendrix played one on a regular basis!

: Hope this helps

Rory Gallagher

Hello,

I just want to mention my Rory Gallagher Tributepage.
I´m a big Fan of Rory and created this page to remember him:
http://www.rory-gallagher-tributepage.de

Please feel free and take a look (and sign my guestbook ;-)...)

Best wishes from Germany
Peter

Re: Rory Gallagher

Good work Pete, Rory was truely one of the best of his time, always looked like he was enjoying it too.

Lee

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2021 , All Rights Reserved.

Affiliate Notice: As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.