Homepage Forums Discussion Popular Topics Yamaha SF 500

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

Anyone no anything about a Yamaha SF 500 Super Flighter guitar???

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

These guitars are now collectors items in China and worth £10k upwards.

Anonymous

hi
      anyone know where to by a bridge for a yamaha sf700
      the original is lost
      help!

Anonymous

hi i have had one posted on a japforum site that needs a little work but no one was interested plays loverly but a very heavy guitar they some times appear on e bay and sell for £300-£400 these are missed by most their loss . email if your interezxted in mine i have loads of photos . im in kent uk

Anonymous

i THINK i have one but im not sure, it is SG shape, nice deep cherry red, 2 humbuckers, 2 vol, 2 tone knobs, if anyone has a picture of one can you please send me it so i can compare. many thanx

Anonymous

And especially about a SF 1000! Plz post to my e-mail-adress. THANKS!!!

Anonymous

: Anyone no anything about a Yamaha SF 500 Super Flighter guitar??? Yes, I bought one second hand a couple of years ago and it’s the best guitar I’ve ever played (and I’ve played Fender, Gibson and Rickenbacker). They were made in 1978 (according to a reliable source) which, I guess, was before Yamaha started making crappy guitars in Taiwan/Indonesa/Korea. It’s just very well made, very precise intonation, no buzzing. Both pickups sound great, very much like a Les Paul. Looks like a Les Paul junior. If you see one, buy it.

Anonymous

:: Yes, I have a white one that I bought back in 1978 and is still in pristine condition, although the hard case is slightly battered but perfectly solid with lovely plush lining. Did not use it much for many years as I soon after I also bought an SG2000, which I used for its "heavier" sound. But from what I can gather the SF500 is the rarer, indeed very rare, guitar. It is beautiful to play, lovely light action. I have no idea what it’s worth. Anyone else? : : Anyone no anything about a Yamaha SF 500 Super Flighter guitar??? : Yes, I bought one second hand a couple of years ago and it’s the best guitar I’ve ever played (and I’ve played Fender, Gibson and Rickenbacker). They were made in 1978 (according to a reliable source) which, I guess, was before Yamaha started making crappy guitars in Taiwan/Indonesa/Korea. It’s just very well made, very precise intonation, no buzzing. Both pickups sound great, very much like a Les Paul. Looks like a Les Paul junior. If you see one, buy it.

Anonymous

i bought an SF500 in a dark -maybe you’d call it tobacco- sunburst in about 1994 second hand. could never find anything out about it until now – when i’d asked in a shop before, they’d never heard of super flighters. they were made in japan – there’s a very faint stamp saying so in the varnish on the back of the headstock with the serial number – 002098 in my case.

Anonymous

I bought one new (SF1000) in 1980, in a dark red SG sort of finish. I traded it in to buy a dot neck 335 reissue in 1982, but I wish I could have kept it. Very well made, relatively light, and a great wide flat neck, almost like a classical guitar. I have been searching ebay for years trying to find another one. I replaced the stock pickups with Mighty Mites(sic)and added extra shielding in the cavity as the original Yamaha pickups were buzzy and feedback prone. I also set the controls up as a master tone and volume, and left the back two pots uconnected. A great gigging guitar, sort of like a hefty SG.

Anonymous

I need to know the price of this guitar , someone help me please …¡¡¡¡¡

Anonymous

: : Anyone no anything about a Yamaha SF 500 Super Flighter guitar??? : Yes, I bought one second hand a couple of years ago and it’s the best guitar I’ve ever played (and I’ve played Fender, Gibson and Rickenbacker). They were made in 1978 (according to a reliable source) which, I guess, was before Yamaha started making crappy guitars in Taiwan/Indonesa/Korea. It’s just very well made, very precise intonation, no buzzing. Both pickups sound great, very much like a Les Paul. Looks like a Les Paul junior. If you see one, buy it. : Yamaha made three Super Flighter models, 500, 700 and 1000. They were made late seventies, early eighties. Asymetric twin cutaway (same shape as Brian May Guitar) carved, no binding, Solid Mahagany with maple cap, or some models in solid maple. Twin Alnico Humbuckers, two vol two tone toggle swith with gold hardware and coil tap on SF1000. Fitted neck, Yamaha machines and bridge. Wonderful guitars – great sound – Les Paul-ish but a bit cleaner. Very reliable. Best electric solid body Yamaha have ever made.

Anonymous

hi mate Peter from Sydney Australia. I play blues semi proffesionaly, I purchaced a white model about 15 years ago for $ 60 in a second hand shop it had stickers all over it ,like it belonged to a surfy guy or something .I initially liked the look of it and upon closer inspection I discovered it had lots of high quality attributes about it ,so I purchased it .After changing the pickups in it ,which is what you really need to do with this particular guitar,to Gibson humbuckers ,I was amazed at how much better it sounded particularly through a 65 watt marshall valvestate amplifier.I possess many gibsons ,firebirds 2 of them ,and Gibson semi acoustic ,but I tell you what ,This super flighter is better than any of my more expensive guitars by a long way,and I use it all the time .I may as well sell the rest of my guitars ,because they have mostly remained idle since I purchased the super flighter ,of which I have 2 now .. Regards Peter

Anonymous

: : : Anyone no anything about a Yamaha SF 500 Super Flighter guitar??? : : Yes, I bought one second hand a couple of years ago and it’s the best guitar I’ve ever played (and I’ve played Fender, Gibson and Rickenbacker). They were made in 1978 (according to a reliable source) which, I guess, was before Yamaha started making crappy guitars in Taiwan/Indonesa/Korea. It’s just very well made, very precise intonation, no buzzing. Both pickups sound great, very much like a Les Paul. Looks like a Les Paul junior. If you see one, buy it. : : Yamaha made three Super Flighter models, 500, 700 and 1000. They were made late seventies, early eighties. Asymetric twin cutaway (same shape as Brian May Guitar) carved, no binding, Solid Mahagany with maple cap, or some models in solid maple. Twin Alnico Humbuckers, two vol two tone toggle swith with gold hardware and coil tap on SF1000. Fitted neck, Yamaha machines and bridge. Wonderful guitars – great sound – Les Paul-ish but a bit cleaner. Very reliable. Best electric solid body Yamaha have ever made. I accuired a sf 500 solid Mahogany as part payment for some work about ten years ago,I had no idea what its worth and took it because of its looks.Its in excellent condition in its original case what would be its approximate value. ps pity i never learned to play. Cheers goff

Anonymous

I have one, and its lovely, in sunburst with original hard case and twin humbuckers

Anonymous

: Anyone no anything about a Yamaha SF 500 Super Flighter guitar??? Ive got an sf700, I’v had it since 1986 and i’ve never seen another one. It’s obviously a quality guitar, easy neck, well constructed and well finnished. Although i’m not sure about the pick-ups. It’s great, I’m happy with it, if you go into a guitar shop and look at cheap/midrange guitars it’s obviously better. But I’ve never seen another one, which means I have not the first idea about it’s value.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.