Home Forums Discussion Popular Topics Dumble Amps

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

Is there anybody out there who could give me any information about Dumble Amplifiers? I know, Stevie Ray played one and it is famous for its fat and powerful tone. Cheers, Dominic

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

do a web search on dumble and see what comes up, there’s not much info out there. They’re hideously expensive, but supposedly they sound like nothing else…sort of a cross between the good points of a Boogie and the good points of a Fender is what I read about them. Also from what I gathered the guy who manufactures them is a first class fruitcake, but he makes a heck of an amp. : Is there anybody out there who could give me any information about Dumble Amplifiers? I know, Stevie Ray played one and it is famous for its fat and powerful tone. : Cheers, : Dominic

Anonymous

i own one…model 100wr, serial #0072…overdrive reverb amp. i called howard because of the guitar player article on lowell george in ’76. tracking him down was tough, and i had to order two to get his interest and pay him up front. it took a few years to get my amps…and the interim was an ordeal of dozens of letters, phone calls, conversations, gnashing of teeth, and rending of garments. he made amps for me a couple of times and sold them before shipping them to me (after all he already had my money). he told me once that david lindley came in needing an amp…naturally it was more important to let him have my amp, for i was just some dolt back east…infurinating person to talk to is howard dumble. it wasn’t until i tracked him down at some practice studio in santa cruz and raised holy hell with him that he shipped me a couple of amps. this was in the late ’70’s and i’m still waiting for the matching roadcases and direct boxes i also paid rediculous amounts of money for. the amps were ~$3000 apiece back then. i count myself lucky to have gotten them at all, having developed the feeling that since i was from the east coast and not famous howard felt he could keep me waiting forever without suffering any guilt over whether i ever got my amps or not. if i ever have the honor of running across howard dumble i’m going to tell him what an ignorant piece of shit he is as a human, ask him where my god damned direct boxes and roadcases are (even though one of the amps is gone) and tell him he makes the greatest amp in the world. mike

Anonymous

Well, laid once some studio tracks down with a dumble and as I remembered it sounded pretty good but as I understood, no dumble sounds a like and there are some brilliant and plain sounding models around. If you could find one, expect to pay 12.000 us or more so I would rather go for that blackface Super and a Vox ac 30 "62 and a old bluesbreaker and still have money for a cruise around the world. : do a web search on dumble and see what comes up, there’s not much info out there. They’re hideously expensive, but supposedly they sound like nothing else…sort of a cross between the good points of a Boogie and the good points of a Fender is what I read about them. Also from what I gathered the guy who manufactures them is a first class fruitcake, but he makes a heck of an amp. : : Is there anybody out there who could give me any information about Dumble Amplifiers? I know, Stevie Ray played one and it is famous for its fat and powerful tone. : : Cheers, : : Dominic

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.