Homepage Forums Discussion Popular Topics Is my Martin for real?

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

I bought my Martin guitar over 20 years ago from a pawn shop in Calgary. I have been playing it and writing songs ever since. Only recently have I been looking into exactly what model it is and I am now finding out that I may have been playing on a Martin knock-off all this time. Although the quality and sound have been excellant and I really can’t complain, I am a little disappointed that I don’t appear to have the real thing. Or do I? I really don’t know. Perhaps someone out there can explain it to me. On the head of the guitar is a logo entitled, "MARTIN". Underneath the logo it says CANADA and underneath that it says EST 1970. Is this a real Martin, related to C.F. Martin & Co. based in Nazareth PA, or is the only connection in the name "MARTIN"? The model number stamped inside, says DR-35N. All these years I thought I had the best guitar made. Now I am thinking that there may be better guitars (real Martins) out there.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

: .Relax, Steve. Rest assured that you have a genuine Martin D 35! Martin established an assembly and repair facility in Toronto in 1970 .I don’t know how many guitars they built there, but as a bluegrass player and repairman here in Vancouver I have come across two Made in Canada Martin D 35s. The Toronto facility remains, primarily as a parts depot. As far as I’ve seen, there is no impact, positive or negative, on the value of the instrument. Play it and love it, Steve.

Anonymous

: I bought my Martin guitar over 20 years ago from a pawn shop in Calgary. I have been playing it and writing songs ever since. Only recently have I been looking into exactly what model it is and I am now finding out that I may have been playing on a Martin knock-off all this time. Although the quality and sound have been excellant and I really can’t complain, I am a little disappointed that I don’t appear to have the real thing. Or do I? I really don’t know. Perhaps someone out there can explain it to me. On the head of the guitar is a logo entitled, "MARTIN". Underneath the logo it says CANADA and underneath that it says EST 1970. Is this a real Martin, related to C.F. Martin & Co. based in Nazareth PA, or is the only connection in the name "MARTIN"? The model number stamped inside, says DR-35N. All these years I thought I had the best guitar made. Now I am thinking that there may be better guitars (real Martins) out there. Its always a worry that something may not be quite right or what you thought it was? What of the wood? What of the sound, the fretboard, the action? Personally I am very happy with my "Maton", definitely not a Martin, rather an Aussie made guitar – with the right woods and great workmanship. but most of all – the sound, the timbre, it is just beautiful – and that’s more important to me than any manufacturer’s name!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.