Homepage Forums Discussion Popular Topics Re: HOW MUCH IS THIS OLD GUITAR WORTH?

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

A few months ago my neighbor gave me his old electric guitar. It’s called a "Hy Lo" and I’d never heard of it before. He said it was from 1953 and I wanted more info on it. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

I own a Hy-Lo classical 439. It sounds great. I can’t believe that people have repeatedly made comments on here that they are a “no name” guitar. Hy-Lo is the company that morphed into Ibanez! SMH

Anonymous

I purchased a Hy-lo Acoustic (12-string), as a gift to myself, Christmas of 1970 or 1971 for $50 (new) at a military PX. . . The guitar was made in Japan. I was somewhat leary at the time of purchased, however, that guitar proved to be one of the best guitars I ever owned; it was of a dreadnought style (no cut-away), natural color, and had a wonderful sound and easy action. To my disapointment, I had failed to properly fasten the guitrar strap; and, while walking with the guitar/strap on my shoulder the strap unfastened and the guitrar collided onto the pavement. The damage (cracked body: sides/face/back panels) was too great to repair.

Anonymous

Can you send or post pictures of the Hy-Lo guitars you are talking about? My first guitar, when I was eight (42 years ago), was a red hollow body guitar and I am pretty sure it said “Hy-Lo” on the head – I remember it had a big chrome tremolo on it – I do not seem to have any pictures of it but at that age on Christmas morning – it might as well have been a 59 Les Paul burst; I would love to see if your pics are the same guitar that I had.

Anonymous

I have this gultar HY-lo model 437N seral # 48224 .. what can anyone tell about it ? Thanks Dan from CT..

Anonymous

I have one, as well – it belonged to my late Uncle Bill F, who moved to California with his young family in the mid 50’s. I’m also trying to find out more about the guitar, the company etc

Anonymous

I was also given a hy-lo guitar… its a 12 string acoustic in beautiful condition, with an ornate picguard with a humming bird and a flower( it looks blatantly from the late 60’s or 70’s), but i cant find any evidence of this guitar online… its a great guitar, especially for being free, but must not be worth much since people seem to be just giving them away!!!

Anonymous

No, they’re worth a lot. They’ve value, integrity, cool, and they sound distinctively different.
        What they are is under appreciated.

Anonymous

i came across a hollow body electric guitar from my uncle’s estate ther is no name on it besides on the top of the neck it says HY Lo any in fo would be great.

Anonymous

I think Hy Lo is a cheapie japanese brand, but if it’s really from 1953 and it looks funny it would probably go for around $2-300 or something on ebay. It’s value is based mostly on it’s appearance if it’s not a famous or known brand.

Anonymous

: I think Hy Lo is a cheapie japanese brand, but if it’s really from 1953 and it looks funny it would probably go for around $2-300 or something on ebay. It’s value is based mostly on it’s appearance if it’s not a famous or known brand.

Anonymous

: : I think Hy Lo is a cheapie japanese brand, but if it’s really from 1953 and it looks funny it would probably go for around $2-300 or something on ebay. It’s value is based mostly on it’s appearance if it’s not a famous or known brand.

Anonymous

I have a Hy Lo myself, gotta it for free from a friend about 6 years ago, never heard of em before either.

Anonymous

: I think Hy Lo is a cheapie japanese brand, but if it’s really from 1953 and it looks funny it would probably go for around $2-300 or something on ebay. It’s value is based mostly on it’s appearance if it’s not a famous or known brand.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.