Homepage Forums Discussion Popular Topics does anyone know anything about mako guitars

• This topic has 28 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 9 months ago by Anonymous.
  • Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

my uncle gave me his old mako guitar and i cant find any info on it. anything would be helpful.

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

i just picked up a mako stamped on the neck made in Korea.

Anonymous

I acquired the Mako from a friend in 85 for a ¼ sack of red bud and a pint of Arrow Sloe Gin 90 proof. It was definitely a cheap guitar compared to base model Aria Pro ll’s, Hondo’s and even some Lotus guitars. Around 91-92 I decided to take it apart and use Strip Eze (thick orange paint stripper) to take it down to wood. I was surprised to find out the plywood seemed encased in a pretty thick plastic looking opaque coating. The only way to take it down to wood would’ve been to power sand the hell out of it! Needless to say, when I saw just how cheap the body was I said fuck it and reassembled it once it was 100% dry and not tacky to the touch. Let me just say that it was the ugliest guitar body I’d ever seen in my life!!! I traded it to a friend in 93 who just built a homemade prison type tattoo gun and received a gargoyle tat on the side of my calf. I still have the tat but I sure wish I could go back in time, keep the weed and liquor and forget I ever made that dreadful deal… Sometimes I learn the hard way and sometimes I learn nothing at all.

Anonymous

I came across a mako TPB-1 4 string bass. If anyone could enlighten me, where to find a replacement 10 hole pickguard that would be great. Standard p bass pick guards don’t fit. Help!!!! Also can anyone help with identifying the year it was made. Thanks again all.

Anonymous

I have a plywood Mako Superstrat too. Bought it used about ten years ago but never noticed it was plywood until the last string change. Still it plays/sounds excellent and looks good, even with the finish crack. I’ve seen guitars (on youtube) made with everything from colored pencils to cardboard. Also, try and find a hollow or semi hollow body guitar for under $2000 that ISN’T made of plywood. So I really don’t think it makes a HUGE difference, to my years anyway. And this Mako is nearly forty years old, or older. ANY piece of wood that old will likely make a decent guitar, IMO. Someone can correct me if they think I’m wrong but please baxk up your agruement with some physics on what happens to wood as it ages.

Anonymous

I have the Mako strat copy and it’s so great reading all these comments. My parents bought it for me around 1990 when I lived in Canada. I thought it was just me, but I always felt that it played great, I love the way the neck plays. I am in the process of restoring it as it sat in my mothers attic for many years. One issue I have is that the paint on the headstock faded badly and hence the logo has all but gone. Does anyone have an image of the logo so I can get a decal made for it? I’ve found some mako parts on ebay so hopefully soon I’ll have it in a respectable state again. I think I may replace the pick-ups, does anyone have any suggestions?

Anonymous

I own a Mako LS3 Strat copy. The tone and playability of this guitar shoots holes in all the brand name/headstock logo BS that permeates the web. My Mako Strat body is plywood !!! Oh the horror !!! Yet somehow, against everything you read about plywood guitar bodies, mine sounds heavenly. It sounds like a Fender Stratocaster ought to sound. I bought it for $60 at a Goodwill store. I own some 20+ guitars ranging from vintage MIJ Strats to American Strats, Telecasters and Jaguars. After a thorough cleaning and set up, it has become one of my most cherished guitars. Maybe my Mako is an anomaly. I doubt it. Beyond my fondness for its ease of play and heavenly tone, it has taught me to ignore the cynical headstock logo players that shout only American made guitars are worthy instruments. My $60 Mako proves otherwise.

Anonymous

I have a Mako Strat copy that came painted from the factory in a beautiful Candy Apple Red, with White stripes (think Van Halen’s “Frankenstrat”). What’s even cooler is that I bought it brand new in 1985 (I still have my receipt too). I’ve used it somewhat over the years but have never abused it. On a scale of 1-10, I’d say the condition of it is a 9.5. I’d love to find out more info on the Mako line of guitars and company history.

Anonymous

TWIMC or anyone that can help!

I’ve just located 1 of these w/a bolt on neck and dual Humbucker setup. 1 low near the bridge and 1 set high near the fretboard. Could anyone tell me about this instrument? The headstock is almost like the open book style like Gibson but flattens out when it comes into the downward arc. Any assistance would be gratefully appreciated as I do like its look but I really don’t want to overpay on this! I have 8 days to make up my mind on this so please help if you can.

Rock On! Sincerely, Scott aka Marooned In Ohio…lol

Anonymous

I recently came across a Mako TB-2 in a trade. Its somewhat of a Strat replica but is slightly smaller feeling like a wolfgang. The neck is Maple and it has 2 humbuckers in it. When I picked the guitar up I was amazed at how small the neck was on it. The neck is so straight and set so well that it makes it easy to do soaring leads! This guitars plays awesome. The pick ups dont seem like much just a basic alnico chrome humbcker but for what I have in it …basically nothing. It sounds and plays amazing.

Anonymous

Bonjour,
      je viens d’acquérir une guitare Mako, c’est une folk, electro acoustique, le modéle est MD 38C OU MD 389C, désolé je ne l’ai pas devant les yeux -_-, pouvez vs me dire ce que vous savez sur cette guitare, merci?

Anonymous

i got a mako traditonal from a freind of mine,he bought it from a lady in adrive thru, he got it for 40 dollars. we tried tofind some info on it ….well factual info…..cant find anything, i have a feeling the REAL vintage ones are proly worth at least 300.00 or better, well in good condition anyway. There very rare, have a unique sound, and they stoped making them in 74′ .ive been playing and working with musical instrasments for bout 20 years and i would consider them to be around 300.00 to 375.00 ish. i am willing to sell mine the bidddng stars at 250.00. contact thru face book..
      http://www.facebook.com/pages/After-Midnite/177565635599080

Anonymous

dont know anything about them but i have one that is a neck-through body tha loos lke a B.C.Rich Bich. im trying to find out about them myself

Anonymous

I just bought a Mako Traditionals TT 2 does anybody know anything about this Mako ?

Anonymous

i have a mako that looks like a gibson chet atkins model (elect/acoustic).possibly for sale?

Anonymous

i bought one in a yard sale what is the model number

Anonymous

: This is a tough one! I have owned an old Make ‘traditionals’ les paul(- set neck ta boot!) for years, I replaced the pickups and hardware and IT SLAMS! Mine has what I assume is the original form fit hardshell case (purple intereior). There aren’t many clues out there, but I’m thinking mine was made prior to (or around) 1976. The copy era was at it’s high point at this time and I know for a fact the japanese had the capability of producing quality guitars even by 1974, including the technology to build ‘set necks’. My guess is that my guitar (‘Mako Tradidionals’) was one of the ‘small’ runs of production that was done from time to time, somewhere between 1974-1978/9. (The copy era was pretty much over by ’77) : There was a man named (forgive the spelling) Matsamoto Mokko who owned a company in japan that made guitars (or assembled them – I’m thinking the body and neckwork were done by possibly Kasuga and then assembled by Matsomakku Company, they furnishing the hardware and pickups etc.). His company built guitars for gibson beginning in the latter part of perhaps 1969. His company made the epiphone brand, – (Gibson sent there people there and Matsomokku did the work – I’m sure the Gibson people taught Him and his people guitar mfg techniques – and if that’s true, then ya gotta understand that if Matsmokku was building gibsons ‘epiphone’ guitars it probably wouldn’t be in their best interest to keep alot of records, especially if they were gettin’ paid by Gibson on one hand, and then rippin’ them off on the other, by building copies or replica’s – that’s probably why there is not alot of info out there…) His company would also build Aria, Aria Pro II, as well as a hord of other brand name guitars. The company finally went disappeared in about 1984 metomorphesising into "Westone guitars". (check into St. Louis Music) : I once saw an early (I believe 1974) Hondo II Les Paul that was Identical to my Mako Traditionals. This was a very early Hondo II model however, in that the ‘logo’ was basically just a ‘stickem’ lable on the headstock that if I remember right said, "Hondo II, Deluxe" (I know they did this series in the early 80’s, but Hondo had ‘slicker’ looking headstocks well before then, so I’m guessing 1974, when there stuff was being produced by the japanese.) One couldn’t call Hondo’s headstock crude. This guitar I saw, I really felt at the time it was one of the first pieces. The ‘stickem’ thing just got me… : Another Clue??? I could be wrong about the who thing, but if I take the first two letters of Mr. Mokko’s first name and the last two letters of his last, I come up with Mako! Coincidence? who knows? I do believe that there were two different mfgs using the name Mako at two different time periods. One was in use in the 70’s and one was in use in the 80’s. The logo is different, and the quality is certainly different. I also believe that it is quite possible that, (like I said earlier…) Maybe one company, (Let’s call them Kasuga) built the bodies and necks and they sent some to Tokai, Some to Hondo, Some to matsomokku etc. etc. : I view what I would call the ‘early’ Mako’s as ‘replica’s’ as opposed to ‘copies’. (at least as far as construction methods are concerned) : It’s difficult the source this stuff, but the mfge process leaves some clues. Again this all could be not true at all. I could be way off, but one thing Im not off on is that with replaced hardware and electronics, My ‘one piece mahongany neck Mako Traditionals Les Paul SLAMS! (I sometimes wonder if these mako’s were guitars that didn’t make the final cut to be sent to the tokai people and ended up being sent to Matsamokko instead. – The two piece maple cap on mine is lightly off center – who care’s? it SLAMS!) : One last thing…. If I find more of these Mako’s…. I will try to beat anyone to the punch about making it my own. These are sorely overlooked and undervalued axes. "How much are they?" GOOD… "I’ll take TEN". : i HOPE THIS HELPS. (some old guy) Bud Need more? : [email protected]

Anonymous

I am an artist/luthier based in Hollywood CA. Recently I aquired a Mako TPB-2 through one of my shop’s costumers. I have done my research and found some interesting information about the originators of this great line of instruments. I will be posting an article about my search results on the Mako Guitar company through my web-site at http://www.varcxx.com When in comes down to musical instruments remember that "tone" is what matters. That’s what I found in this bass and with a little bit of care and a good set up, unexpensive guitars can sometimes become one of your best instruments.

Anonymous

Hi! I just recently received a mako LK3 guitar. It looks just like eddie van halens guitar, except that it has a pick guard. I enjoy it alot, but that’s because I just put in new DiMarzio pick ups.

Anonymous

This is a tough one! I have owned an old Make ‘traditionals’ les paul(- set neck ta boot!) for years, I replaced the pickups and hardware and IT SLAMS! Mine has what I assume is the original form fit hardshell case (purple intereior). There aren’t many clues out there, but I’m thinking mine was made prior to (or around) 1976. The copy era was at it’s high point at this time and I know for a fact the japanese had the capability of producing quality guitars even by 1974, including the technology to build ‘set necks’. My guess is that my guitar (‘Mako Tradidionals’) was one of the ‘small’ runs of production that was done from time to time, somewhere between 1974-1978/9. (The copy era was pretty much over by ’77) There was a man named (forgive the spelling) Matsamoto Mokko who owned a company in japan that made guitars (or assembled them – I’m thinking the body and neckwork were done by possibly Kasuga and then assembled by Matsomakku Company, they furnishing the hardware and pickups etc.). His company built guitars for gibson beginning in the latter part of perhaps 1969. His company made the epiphone brand, – (Gibson sent there people there and Matsomokku did the work – I’m sure the Gibson people taught Him and his people guitar mfg techniques – and if that’s true, then ya gotta understand that if Matsmokku was building gibsons ‘epiphone’ guitars it probably wouldn’t be in their best interest to keep alot of records, especially if they were gettin’ paid by Gibson on one hand, and then rippin’ them off on the other, by building copies or replica’s – that’s probably why there is not alot of info out there…) His company would also build Aria, Aria Pro II, as well as a hord of other brand name guitars. The company finally went disappeared in about 1984 metomorphesising into "Westone guitars". (check into St. Louis Music) I once saw an early (I believe 1974) Hondo II Les Paul that was Identical to my Mako Traditionals. This was a very early Hondo II model however, in that the ‘logo’ was basically just a ‘stickem’ lable on the headstock that if I remember right said, "Hondo II, Deluxe" (I know they did this series in the early 80’s, but Hondo had ‘slicker’ looking headstocks well before then, so I’m guessing 1974, when there stuff was being produced by the japanese.) One couldn’t call Hondo’s headstock crude. This guitar I saw, I really felt at the time it was one of the first pieces. The ‘stickem’ thing just got me… Another Clue??? I could be wrong about the who thing, but if I take the first two letters of Mr. Mokko’s first name and the last two letters of his last, I come up with Mako! Coincidence? who knows? I do believe that there were two different mfgs using the name Mako at two different time periods. One was in use in the 70’s and one was in use in the 80’s. The logo is different, and the quality is certainly different. I also believe that it is quite possible that, (like I said earlier…) Maybe one company, (Let’s call them Kasuga) built the bodies and necks and they sent some to Tokai, Some to Hondo, Some to matsomokku etc. etc. I view what I would call the ‘early’ Mako’s as ‘replica’s’ as opposed to ‘copies’. (at least as far as construction methods are concerned) It’s difficult the source this stuff, but the mfge process leaves some clues. Again this all could be not true at all. I could be way off, but one thing Im not off on is that with replaced hardware and electronics, My ‘one piece mahongany neck Mako Traditionals Les Paul SLAMS! (I sometimes wonder if these mako’s were guitars that didn’t make the final cut to be sent to the tokai people and ended up being sent to Matsamokko instead. – The two piece maple cap on mine is lightly off center – who care’s? it SLAMS!) One last thing…. If I find more of these Mako’s…. I will try to beat anyone to the punch about making it my own. These are sorely overlooked and undervalued axes. "How much are they?" GOOD… "I’ll take TEN". i HOPE THIS HELPS. (some old guy) Bud Need more? [email protected]

Anonymous

I bought this used guitar at a local music store and I have had a real bugger of a time finding anything out about the company that made this guitar, the one thing that I have been able to piece together is that the company was from the east most likely japan or perhaps korea. My mako is an evh rip off that I fell in love with the moment I saw it and judging from the obvious aging (the white stripes have turned to a cream colour) the guitar is most likely from the early 80’s. The pickups in the guitar were not actually all that bad, however I replaced the bridge pickup with a duncan sh-12 (George Lynch Screamin’ Demon) and now the guitar just flies. Very nice guitar with a maple neck and finger board, bent headstock, original tremolo (at least for now). If anybody has any information about this company please let us know.

Anonymous

I have a Mako Les Paul copy. A friend gave it to me without a case. I have no idea how old it is, but judging by condition, etc, it’s probably late 70s or 80s. It has a beautiful orange sunburst maple top. Unfortunately, the top is a VERY thin veneer (One can tell by tapping across the top, portions sound like they’re coming away–must not have used enough glue!). Absolutely gorgeous flame, though. The rest is mahogany with a mahogany set neck (which is very comfy and straight). Since there were crap pickups HOT GLUE-GUNNED(!) in place when I got it, I can’t speak to the quality of the Mako electronics. I’ve got a reissue Gibson PAF in the neck and the neck pickup out of a friend’s mid-70s Yamaha SG2000 (the fool "upgraded" the pickups) and the sound is simply delicious. Of course the pickups are nice, but even the sound of the guitar acoustically. Wow! I can’t believe no one knows anything about Mako. I’ve never even seen an ad for the company in old guitar mags…

Anonymous

I bought this old Mako, and know nothing about it. I’m in the process of restoring it and i was wondering what company made the original electronics

Anonymous

I’ve got a blue mako strat it’s great replaced the pickup with seymour duncan screamin demon and sh1 59 model,great neck low action, and sounds like a dream. i was in a pawn shop once and he had a guitar value guide that had Mako info in it. that’s all I know other then they made great guitars with so-so pickups.

Anonymous

I would also like to know something because I have a Mako that someone gave me that says it’s a "TD-1" or a "TB-1". (I can’t make out much of the writing.) Thanks alot.

Anonymous

I have a mako guitar that looks something like a washburn darell dimebag except that the spikes arn’t even its a "L series Lc-3"

Anonymous

I just rescued a Mako Les Paul copy that I just finished overhauling. It is Black with white binding and has really good action and surprisingly good sound. Any info on this maker and when and which models made would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. : I would also like to know something because I have a Mako that someone gave me that says it’s a "TD-1" or a "TB-1". (I can’t make out much of the writing.) : Thanks alot.

Anonymous

You guitar is might be a traditionel TL56 from the seventies from Japan the Matsumoku factory

Anonymous

: I would also like to know something because I have a Mako that someone gave me that says it’s a "TD-1" or a "TB-1". (I can’t make out much of the writing.) : Thanks alot. I had a Mako guitar (sort of like a thinline black tele clone) a while ago and have been looking for info on them. Not much out there. But I did get some results from Google.com when I did a search for "mako guitar".

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.