Homepage Forums Discussion Popular Topics Gower Guitars

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

Any information regarding Gower Guitars from
    Nashville Musical Instrument CO. INC establish in 1955.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

Greetings,
      I was associated with bluegrass band called “Harbour Town”. During the 1990’s we would take a trip to Nashville once a year for a vacation. It was then that I met Mark Taylor of Crafters of Tennessee. He gave me some guitar parts that his dad had got at the Grammer auction. He wasn’t sure what they were but thought they were for a Merle Haggard.

Parts consisted of dreadnought brazilian rosewood body, 3 inches thick, with rosewood neck attached, with frets and rectangular inlays. Binding was in place. No tuner holes drilled. No name laminate on peg head. No bridge.

After much research I discovered it was a Gower. I gathered all the original style parts, and completed the last Gower guitar in October of 2019. It is a beauty, and plays well.

If someone would like photos, let me know.

Warmest regards, Ralph.

Anonymous

Would appreciate any info on this guitar. In good condition but can’t find any info about it.. Looks like a D35 I think.

Anonymous

I have a Gower model # G – 65 with serial # 1051……. I’ve had lots of guitars over the years and am not sure how or when I came about this one. I ran across it in a closet full of guitar cases in my studio. Anyone know anything about this instrument in particular?

Anonymous

My aunt alma and uncle bobby made these guitars in there garage my cousin would know more details. I read that Gower guitars went in with grammar guitar I hope some of that helps

Anonymous

I have a Gower guitar I bought back in the 60’s it has the nashville written on the head and a picture of the country music hall of fame on the pick guard. It has a rosewood back and sides not sure about the top. Just hunting information about the guitar.

Anonymous

I have a Gower Est 1955 on peg head, it is sn 1008, any idea when it was made. it has the block inlays in the finger board. Thanks

Anonymous

: Any information regarding Gower Guitars from : Nashville Musical Instrument CO. INC establish in 1955. I am JW Gower’s nephew.he and mother his sister started Gower Guitar in 1955.when they started they built acoustic and also electric Guitars.they went on to mass produce acoustics.I will try to answer any questions you have.

Anonymous

I have a Gower Guitar with serial number 3130 and model number G-55-2. I am interested in know when it was made. I’ve seen some that say 1962 and 1965?

Anonymous

: : Any information regarding Gower Guitars from : : Nashville Musical Instrument CO. INC establish in 1955. : I am JW Gower’s nephew.he and mother his sister started Gower Guitar in 1955.when they started they built acoustic and also electric Guitars.they went on to mass produce acoustics.I will try to answer any questions you have. I meant my mother Alma Moore,sorry.

Anonymous

Here’s a little tidbit from Vintage Guitar Magazine in an article about Leon Rhodes: "He was a quality control inspector/final assembler for Grammer Guitars in the late 1960s and went on to do similar work with Gower Guitars (manufacturer of a Leon Rhodes Model flat-top acoustic) in the 1970s." I think you and I have brothers (or sisters) George. I bought mine in a music shop in Hempstead Ny (L.I.) in 1976 for $250. Best $250 I’ve ever spent.

Anonymous

: Any information regarding Gower Guitars from : Nashville Musical Instrument CO. INC establish in 1955. I would like to know the pricing range for a Gower guitar in mint condition: serial # 1020 and model # G-65. I would greatly appreciate any info u could also give me on this particular brand of guitar, because I have not heard much of it before. Thanks, Marc Robertson

Anonymous

: Any information regarding Gower Guitars from : Nashville Musical Instrument CO. INC establish in 1955. ***I would like information regarding the value of a Gower guitar bought in 1967 that is in exceptional condition. Please respond with realistic, actual appraisal prices on a guitar in wonderful condition.***

Anonymous

: Any information regarding Gower Guitars from : Nashville Musical Instrument CO. INC establish in 1955. I have a gower acoustic that I purchased at auction,Six string dreadnaught size,the instrument was in fair condition with some of the neck binding and nut dried and unglued after a thorough cleaning some cosmetics restrung with John Pearse strings I was amazed at the wonderful voice e this guitar has,the neck is very narrow and smooth playing with large block inlays.I contacted a freind of mine in Nashville for some history on this instrument and company that produced it but have not recieved any info so far.

Anonymous

Here is what I know about Gower Guitars. I am the original owner of a Gower 6-string, built in 1972. The Gowers lived near Nashville, where they owned some sort of small recording studio. Perhaps as a money-making hobby, Mr. and Mrs. Gower built guitars (perhaps a half-dozen per year?) which they sold through Grayson’s Music, an instrument dealer in New York. It’s certainly possible that the Gowers sold their instruments through other dealers too. I don’t know how Grayson’s made initial contact with the Gowers. I do recall that there would be a small amount of written correspondance concerning what style of guitar would be built (for example, a Martin D-45 imitation), and when it might be ready to be shipped. My guitar also says "Gower Guitar established 1955" on the head, but came without serial number or other identifying information inside the guitar body. It has rosewood sides and back, a mahogany neck, spruce top, ebony fingerboard. The tuning machines should have been of better quality, and I am having them replaced at the moment. The pick guard is layered, with a black surface attached to a slightly large white piece. The inlay in the fingerboard is simple: mother- of-pearl dots in the usual places, but the purfling (the striped binding where the back and sound board join to the sides is pretty cool: it’s 14 layers thick on the sound board- to-sides edge. There is white binding along the edges of the fingerboard. The quality of the (visible) craftsmanship is excellent. I’ve never taken aninspection mirror to the guitar when changing strings, so I can’t comment about the bracing. Mine’s a nice instrument, with an unusually narrow neck and good tone. In 1972 it cost me $300, which was the "street price" for a Martin D-18. It’s a much nicer guitar than a D-18, and I’ve always been happy with it. It is being repaired at the moment (nothing major), and I am eager to have it back. A luthier in Champaign, IL who knew of their guitars told me that Mr. Gower had died a few years ago. If anyone knows anything more/different about Gower Guitars, please let me know– my email address is [email protected]. George Gollin 12/19/2002 : : Any information regarding Gower Guitars from : : Nashville Musical Instrument CO. INC establish in 1955. : I have a gower acoustic that I purchased at auction,Six string dreadnaught size,the instrument : was in fair condition with some of the neck binding and nut dried and unglued after a thorough : cleaning some cosmetics restrung with John Pearse strings I was amazed at the wonderful voice : e this guitar has,the neck is very narrow and smooth playing with large block inlays.I contacted : a freind of mine in Nashville for some history on this instrument and company that produced it : but have not recieved any info so far.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.