Home Forums Discussion Popular Topics Tatay Guitars

• This topic has 95 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 8 months ago by Anonymous.
  • Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

Anybody have any information on Tatay guitars?

V. Tatay was a luthier in New York in the ’50s and ’60s.

Bob

Viewing 35 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

Spruce top, rosewood sides and back, 2 pick guards one on each side of the soundhole, still I excellent condition, purchased 55 years ago and it was used then. I would be interested in determining the value.

Anonymous

I purchased a slightly used Tatay Guitar in Plainview NY/Long Island in 1979. I bought it from a family friend so it was likely made at the shop in Long Island. I would be interested if anyone could help me find more information about my guitar such as how I could repair it (I love in NJ now), what it might be worth, and/or how I could sell it?

Anonymous

I know this is an old thread, but, I’ll try it. My label is the old one, says nothing about New York, only Tatay guitarras Espanola1861, Valencia, Espana. The date stamp appears to be Sept 1954, not sure, a lot of age. It appears to be either a spruce or cedar top and some type of real or laminated wood back and sides. A lot of age checking on the finish. Looks like rosewood fingerboard and bridge. Wish I could post picks on here.

Anonymous

I have what looks to be a 1950’s lap steel. It`s beautiful.
      Does anybody know the story behind it?
      thanks
      Paul

Anonymous

My 1961 Gibson Les Paul SG was purchased from Vinny Martell of the Vanilla Fudge in 1972
      it needed some work so Vinny sold it to me for 100.00 I was 18 at the time. This guitar had amazing action and sound, so I never sold it. Andrew Taytay refinished this guitar around 1985. I asked him to replicate the original Cherry Red finish. Andrew Taytay told me that day that I should consider a chocolate burst because that was his specialty. I agreed even though I knew the finish would not look original. Now I have a one of a kind 1961 Gibson Les Paul SG and Andrew Taytay was telling the truth because the refinish came out awesome. The action and neck are amazing paired with Brazilian Rosewood finger board and Gibson PAF Humbuckers. I recently had it appraised for 20,000.00 bucks. When I met Vinny I was a kid and he had many guitars in some sort of disarray. I did not have much money so 100.00 bucks was hard for me to spend. If I had more I would have bought as many guitars that I could afford. What an investment 100.00 to 20,000.00. It took 50 years but I had the best guitar to hear and play all that time. Anyone who wants to contact me post a comment and I will be notified and I will send email and pics to anyone who comments

Anonymous

i have a chance to buy a VT Guitar, classical /flamenco, how do i age it, they want 155 euro with some damage, the lable says made in valencia, Nicko

Anonymous

I recently purchased a vintage/antique handmade folk (not wide nut like a classical) guitar that is very well made, shorter scale 20 frets with a gold painted 13th fret ~ the design has white and Goldish line designs on it and ZA in in older gold painted into the design on the front ~ reminiscent of the Kay Carribean guitars from the 50’s(?).
      The guitar has TAKAY burned into the top of the head. It has wonderful warm rich tone, really good straight neck and great intonation. Definitely a handmade guitar, light weight, darker stain, possibly anywhere from the 30s thru the 50’s based on wood. I do not know the type of wood(s) it is made from but I am stoked! I got it for $50. If anyone has any ideas if there was someone in the TAKAY family with the initials ZA TAKAY who made guitars, please contact me. I’d be glad to provide photos.

Anonymous

And am starting the play . No idea if from factory or handmade by the sons? Idk but would be nice to know what I’m dealing with .. can someone tell by pics ? Labels? Frets ? Help
      [email protected].

Anonymous

Newsday had an article about Vincente Tatay. LI Guitar Maker, Sons Tuned in Old Spanish Way
      Newsday (1940-1990); Aug 17, 1965; ProQuest Historical Newspapers: Newsday
      pg. 14

Anonymous

I grew up in Farmingville, and was friends with the Tatays. In fact , was a ” pal ” of Mr. Tatay ( Andy ) . My dad was a fireman with him, and I was in the Jr. FD with his sons. My mom was in the Ladies Aux. with Mrs. Tatay.

Many times I bicycled to his shop, and watched him making guitars, and can still smell the wood, and lacquers used in making them. I would guess more than 25 times, I would actually sweep the shop, clean up scraps, and just help in small ways. I liked it , but am sure I was looking for a tip …which never came. LOL .

The reason I was around his shop was I used to bike down to the FD to try and run into my dad . They always were at the FD back then.

That was in the 70’s . Later on , around 1999 ish I came back from California after 6 years , and wanted to go visit once again. I did, and was lucky to see a OPEN sign . I popped in and shot the shit with Andy for awhile, and he was mentioning he was retiring, and closing shop. The boys had no interest in keeping it going. I noticed there weren’t any FOR SALE guitars in the usual space, and asked if he had any. He repled no not really. But then stated that he actually did have one, and asked him if I could purchase it. After a brief hem and haw he agreed. Somewhere around 600 I think. I still have the receipt, guitar, hard case in my spare room. It has been played 2 times !! And not by me. I can’t play a record , no less a guitar. I believe that the guitar is the LAST guitar Produced in the Farmingville shop !! Which was also a reason I bought it. Like I said, I don’t play. Just figured it would be a good memory piece . I know there is a signed label , probably numbered , on the inside of the guitar… I have to check it out.

I ran into Andy at the wake of another great guy from the FD, Bob Lang . Sometime around…. oh I guess 2010 – 2012 … I saw him and his wife walking across the FD parking lot, and knew I had to say hello. I approached him, and told him who I was.. He was a old guy by then, and was short in his glory to see me. In fact seemed bored. lol. Not really, just a old guy with other than me in his memory bank . I kind of was sad to tell the truth, as I had fond memories of our talks, and time together in the “Shop” .

So that is that………

Anonymous

Hi everyone,
      I have a 1960s Tatay No.13 guitar.
      It is not very good condition, there is a small crack in the back, but it is playable.
      I want to repair the guitar. When I bought it, the guitar had metal strings on it.
      How should I put the new strings?
      Is it metal or plastic?
      I’m waiting for your answer.
      Thank you so much!

Koray

Anonymous

Hi everyone,
      I have a 1960s Tatay No.13 guitar.
      It is not very good condition, there is a small crack in the back, but it is playable.
      I want to repair the guitar. When I bought it, the guitar had metal strings on it.
      How should I put the new strings?
      Is it metal or plastic?
      I’m waiting for your answer.
      Thank you so much!

Koray

Anonymous

anybody know the vintage on this?

Anonymous

My one has 61 written in pencil on inner neck joint and also on one of the braces. The top to sides joints are very crude like old teeth. It has the made in Spain label

Anonymous

Geez, I hate to place the only negative comment here but…
      Sometime in the early 70’s I brought my 65 Gibson L5 into Tatay to have the frets replaced. I was young and didn’t realize that they just needed to be dressed a bit but I wasn’t advised so by Tatay. The bottom line is that he replaced the frets and actually cut through the binding of the neck while doing so. He also chewed up the ebony fretboard as well. He really killed the guitar cosmetically.I never used it again…still have it in a closet, just a bad memory.

Anonymous

I have a tatay guitar stamped Feb 1962 that I am willing to sell. Please contact me with offer. I am located in NYC. In perfect condition.

Anonymous

I have a vicenti tatay tomas guitar in very good condition,
      but the soundhole label is missing can anyone help me to obtain one. Ibelieve the model to be n-123, the above name is stamped on the back of the headset. Regards ian.b

Anonymous

I have the same model you have. It’s a requinto, an alto guitar used mostly in traditional Mexican romantic music. I have tried to tune this instrument using thethappropriate appropriate string provided by the brand. La Bella . It always detunes. I think it must be something related to the distance between the nut and the bridge.

Anonymous

Hello,
      I inherited my great grandmothers V. Tatay 12 string Tiple. I know this is rare. Is there an way I could get an appraisal on it for insurance purposes?

Anonymous

“Is there anybody out there” who can help me find a Tatay tenor guitar from the 90’s I think? That particular model featured a 1and3/4inch nut width. A guitar like this was sold on ebay last December (2014) in the US, I know this because the seller would only ship within the States and I’m in England. It sold for $260. I need a wide nut width as I have problems with arthritis. Any help or info would be greatly appreciated . Cheers Tony

Anonymous

I have a 1958. I guess it is a student type. Nothing fancy. Mahogany sides and back. But solid spruce top looks like. Amazingly light and playable still with the standard longitudenal crack on the back, repaired long ago. Straight neck. A backing strip was glued to the inside of the back to splice the thing together ? Looks like it ended up being a 1/4 inch away from the crack though. Maybe that’s a method for better acoustics, the offset strongback piece rather than right over the crack. Looks like the crack had been open and the repair involved gluing a long thin piece of wood (from the bottom and 10″ toward middle.) When I got it in late 70’s it had a cheesy white plastic pic protector that fell off. I was told by someone that because of the narrower than standard neck it was a flamingo guitar. I invested in a super strong case for this fragile wonder of an instrument. If only I could really play but I love noodling around and appreciate it for what it is. Paid $100 for it. Worth a bit more it sounds like. Sounds rich, stays in tune.

Anonymous

My grandfather is Andrew Tatay, who made guitars for years in Long Island. Finally retired and sold his shop. He is still alive and doing well. I wish i owned one of his guitars. I am one of the two in the family that actually plays, as far as i know. Last I heard, his old shop is a produce stand. He had a bedroom in the back and lived there. I have been there a few times when he owned it. He is a great man.

Anonymous

I own a Tatay guitar that I purchased from Andy Tatay around 1979. This was the third guitar of his that I owned. Although, I don’t play anymore I still own the last guitar. It is a lovely instrument and in excellent condition. I remember your grandfather who was a delightful man.
        I enjoyed spending time in his shop seeing him build guitars. Wonder how he is doing. It has been fun reading all the posts about your family.
        If you are still interested in owning one of his guitars please contact me.

Anonymous

I knew Gabe and his wife in the 70’s. I worked with him at the ARTCC and did the lettering on the transom of his boat. (The Blue Tango)
        TJ

Anonymous

Thank you for posting about your grandfather’s shop in Long Island. I’m very interested in the history of Tatay guitars and would cherish any advise you might have on where to look for family/business history. You should be very proud of your family’s legacy. They made fine instruments through several generations.

Thanks,

Jack O’Dell
        [email protected]

Anonymous

Hi Michael. I’ve only just read your message on this site and thought maybe you could help me to find a guitar probably made by your grandfather. Due to arthritis I need a wide nut width and a model sold on ebay last December (2014) had this unusual feature. I’m in my 70,s now but was in Long Island in 1978 and 1980 in Middle Neck and Jamaica and the beautiful Cold Spring Harbour and feel quite an affinity with the place but whilst there had no interest in guitars but since taking up the ukulele in my late 60s I have progressed to tenor guitar and regret the opportunities I’ve missed. Look forward to hearing from you whether you can help in this matter or not. Cheers Tony

Anonymous

Hello I have 3 Taytay Guitars. One was made in 1952 by Vincent Tatay my father had it custom made through the Spanish Guitar Store in NYC. It is in very good condition, light as a feather. Not sure on woods but I’m sure you could tell. When I was very young I remember bringing the Guitar to the Tatay Factory out in Farmingdale Long Island for repair work on the Bridge in the late 1960’s. I believe this was Vincents grandson who continued the family tradition. At that time he wanted to buy the guitar from us when he saw it was made by his grandfather. My dad did not want to sell and he did a beautiful job fixing the guitar. His workshop was amazing. Everything done by hand by one man. To a young boy it looked like Santas workshop.

At that time my dad ordered two more guitars from him, which I still have also in very good shape. One for me and one for my sister.

I do play guitar but not classical and I hate to see guitars not played. (all are strung and completely playable) Could I send you photos of the guitars to look at? If you are interested in them to purchase that would be great as I know they would go to a good home

Anonymous

I bought it from Joe Fava, flamenco musician who toured with EL GRECO dance troupe. He owned a large music shop in the first “Shopping Mall” near Detroit, MI, and taught students there. I am 80 years old now…got the TATAY in its original case when I was 18, and played it on YouTube so you can get a look at it. Search < Kuspalypso!>, and hear “I like bananas” calypso, and sing along with lyrics below the video. I’m taking it to a auction house for evaluation tomorrow in Scotts Valley, CA, the Slavinski Auctioneers. Fava was a student of and a good friend of the Great Andre Segovia, who always played the Detroit Masonic Temple twice per year into his NINETIES! He stayed with Joe Fava and played my guitar.
        The back of the neck has a deep wood-burned “Made in Valencia, Spain” logo on it, and it was modified to contain and internal pickup INSIDE and had a jack in the side of it. the heavy pickup was one of the first ever used…To be plugged into the sound systems at El Greco concerts. Only the well-repaired access openings in the back, and the jack hole (taped over by me) are evidence of the show-biz use of this century-old beauty.
        Last year a musician/guitar-seller said I could get anywhere from $3k to $6k if I sold it in its present condition. The inlay itself could be worth that much…but the sound is rich and wonderful. A friend in played it in Houston three years ago and immediately called his son so he could hear it over the cellphone..and said I’ve never seen a 100-year old guitar that wasn’t falling apart and needing rebuilding.
        Let me know if you know any one who wants to bid on it. Or call Slawinski Auctions in Scotts Valley… my phone is < 831.325.8870 >

Anonymous

I recently missed out on acquiring a Tatay tenor guitar because the ebay seller wouldn’t ship to the UK. I need the wide nut width and the guitar for sale had a 13/4 (one and three quarter inch) nut width which would have been ideal. Alas it was not to be, but I live in hope! Can anyone help me in my quest. Cheers. Tony.

Anonymous

At the beginning of 2015 I will include more Tatay information on the site
      http://members.upc.nl/a.bogaard241
      to include fotos, labels and family tree.

Anonymous

Just watching a documentary on TV in the UK called ‘Led Zeppelin And The Music That Influenced Them’. It seems Jimmy Page was influenced by Davey Graham the British fingerstyle guitarist probably most famous for writing ‘Angie’, as recorded by Paul Simon and many others. In the programme there is a close up of Davey Graham playing a classical guitar and the label can clearly be seen. It is a Vincente Tatay, made in Valencia.

Anonymous

i have a vincente tatay tomas guitar. the label is round, multi colored with a guitar in the middle and the word vivato.
      it is a small guitar. tenor, i think. bigger that a ukelele but not as big as a regular guitar.
      can you tell me something about its age, history, value etc.
      thanks

Anonymous

Hi. I’m interested in buying a Tatay tenor guitar, and wonder if you would consider selling yours. You will note on earlier messages left on this site that I lost out on buying one from a guy in Bartlett Illinois because he wouldn’t ship to the UK. The guitar sold for €260. I need a wide nut width and the guitar he was offering had a 1/34inch nut which would have been ideal.for me and was listed as being made in the 90s. This info may be of use to you whether or not you wish to sell but if you don’t please let me know through these pages and bear me in mind if you do decide to sell in future. Cheers. Tony

Anonymous

I have 3 Taytay Guitars. One was made in 1952 by Vincent Tatay my father had it custom made through the Spanish Guitar Store in NYC. It is in very good condition, light as a feather. Not sure on woods but I’m sure you could tell. When I was very young I remember bringing the Guitar to the Tatay Factory out in Farmingdale Long Island for repair work on the Bridge in the late 1960’s. I believe this was Vincents grandson who continued the family tradition. At that time he wanted to buy the guitar from us when he saw it was made by his grandfather. My dad did not want to sell and he did a beautiful job fixing the guitar. His workshop was amazing. Everything done by hand by one man. To a young boy it looked like Santas workshop.

At that time my dad ordered two more guitars from him, which I still have also in very good shape. One for me and one for my sister.

I do play guitar but not classical and I hate to see guitars not played. (all are strung and completely playable) Could I send you photos of the guitars to look at? If you are interested in them to purchase that would be great as I know they would go to a good home

Anonymous

I have lived in Farmingville, NY for over 40 years and frequented the small Taytay shop on Horseblock road many times since it was two blocks from my residence. I never bought any of the guitars they hand made though I often wish that I had. He did repairs and custom changes on a couple of Guild steel string acoustics I had and the work was top drawer. The shop was closed years ago and I really miss them.

Anonymous

Yo tenia una guitarra vicente tatay y me la rompieron y estoy comprando una quien la venda favor de enviarme email [email protected]

Anonymous

hola tengo un manuel tatay blasco y quiero saber cuanto puedo venderlo

Anonymous

I’m wondering if the style of the label is an indicator of the age of the guitar. I’ve seen the white label with the blue and red drawing and lettering, the round black label with gold lettering, and the round gold label with black lettering (one with New York and an identical one that reads Valencia). If those of you who have a Tatay and are 100% certain of the date and place it was made we may be able to make a rough estimate of the age of other Tatay guitars based on the type of label used. Feel free to email me and if any of the information I receive demonstrates any relevance I will post the results. If you’re not certain of the date, don’t guess. One wrong guess could negate the results. Thank You.

Anonymous

My wife found a guitar at a garage sale that has a rounded off gold label at the end of the neck with Tatay Guitars written on it. Is this a real Tatay and, if so, when was it made? I once owned a Tatay purchased in Farmingville, NY in the mid 60s. Sold it because the neck was too wide for my hands. At the ripe old age of 77 I Have decided I ‘d like to resurrect my guitar skills with the instrument my wife found. Is it a real Tatay?Z

Anonymous

I just noticed a couple of nights ago that my Tatay guitar had the date July 1959 stamped on the foot of the neck inside the guitar. I’m in the process of trying to find out where it was made and every indication is that it was in Farmingville, New York. The label has those two figures dancing and the #13 street address. Any information would be helpful. Thankyou.

Anonymous

I have a guitar that I purchased from The Spanish Music Center in New York City in 1975. I am an amateur player, who has not played at all for years. The label is a Spanish Music Center label pasted over another label which I can’t read. It reads Marco Francisco Tarrega, with Modelo 1-M and the number 12-26-74. Another, smaller label reads Tatay Spanish Guitars.
      Anyone have any info? It has a great sound still, even with the old strings.

Anonymous

How much is worth a Vicente tatay 1975 classical gutar in inmaculated conditions

Anonymous

: Anybody have any information on Tatay guitars? I visited the Tatay studio out east, past Farmingvile (at least), in 1976 or 77, with a friend who was having a 1920’s acoustic Gibson restored. I met Mr. Tatay, the maestro himself, and even then I knew I was in the presence of greatness. (Vincent Bruno: Do you remember our visit???) Ah,. youth… V. Tatay was a luthier in New York in the ’50s and ’60s. : Bob

Anonymous

I have the pleasure to own and play daily a guitar by V. Tatay (New York). This is as much as I know. I may be misinformed in places. Lou Kleinsmith, my "male role model" growing up in New York, owned the Tatay. It was given to me by his son Bill. Lou died years ago, but I believe he told me that the Tatays were ex-pat Spaniards who hung out with the ex-pat guitar community at the end of 14th street in a little coffeeshop on the North side of the street just East of 8th Ave. This group included on occasion Segovia and Augustin (the ‘inventor’ of the nylon string.) I know of no other connection between Tatay and the group. Augustin’s widow would seem the person to ask. I was told that Tatay was the source of the "Pallet Guitar" legend. I heard this first around 1962. My guitar is a 1956. It is made from terrible mahagony and has a crack the length of its back since my earliest memory. The month and year of manufacture is stamped with an office date stamp on the soundboard cross bar just to the neck end of the soundhole. Other Tatays I have seen were stamped the same. My guitar seems to be finished with shellac or some shellac based finish. It is now heavily checked with age. The guitar has a wonderful precision in that it seems to have been made face down on a workboard. There is an unbroken straight line from the bottom of the nut going under the rosewood fingerboard and under the rosewood bridge. So the soundboard and neck must have been butted on the workboard and everything else done from there. Simple. Precise. There is no binding or purfling at the edge. Just good clean perfect joinery of the sides to the soundboard and back. After 50 years the neck is straight as an arrow, the joints are all still perfect, and there is no perceivable sinking or cracks in the soundboard. The crack in the back is not on any joint of the maker. Just cheap wood. I would suspect the wood came from Wild or Constantine back then. The fingerboard oils have dried, dishing the board and making the frets protrude slightly. Not enough for me to refret it yet. The neck is ever so slightly narrow by today’s standards. It’s a 652 on the 1st string. I play well. Tuned to my Peterson strobe tuner, the guitar is in tune to the highest frets. I am suprised by this. Bach at lightening tempos voices very well. I play a folk piece from Normandie that has four distinct voices for quite a number of measures. The guitar delivers them distinctly without any distortions of the bass to treble present or wanted. Mahagony guitars have always recorded well analog. In a good studio this guitar gave me many superb recordings twenty years ago. In today’s digital age, the voice is a little thin. As a parlor instrument it is just fine though not with all the voice of a contemporary rosewood instrument. More "delicate." I was told that the same family tried to make a go of it out in Farmingdale Long Island. The instruments I saw were not classicals as I remember. My Tatay is not for sale. Make my wife a nice offer after I’m gone. Then enjoy it as much as I do now.

Anonymous

I hope all is well with you.

Anonymous

I hope all is well with you. Email me.

Anonymous

: Anybody have any information on Tatay guitars? and ’60s. …..The Tatay family crafted some of the finest acoustic guitars.Their craft was passed on from generation to generation.The family shop was on Horseblock Rd. in Farmingville,N.Y..I have a custom-made acoustic made by Tatay that I am looking to sell.

Anonymous

:if it is a classical i might be interested. brian Anybody have any information on Tatay guitars? : and ’60s. : …..The Tatay family crafted some of the finest acoustic guitars.Their craft was passed on from generation to generation.The family shop was on Horseblock Rd. in Farmingville,N.Y..I have a custom-made acoustic made by Tatay that I am looking to sell.

Anonymous

My dad owns Tatay and Sons in Farmingville, New York. He’s getting ready to sell the business and retire. You can e-mail me if you want more info.

Anonymous

Hello,
        I saw your email to Guitar Site regarding your family owning Tatay guitars. I have one from a relative which has been passed to me and was wondering about the specifics it. I play guitar and own a number of them, none like this. I’m not sure if it’s a flamenco guitar or not. Would like to get some info on date of her, more info on Vicente Tatay and a value. Any information or direction you may offer would be appreciated.
        Todd

Anonymous

Hi Andy. I recently left a message on this site asking for help in getting a Tatay tenor guitar with a 13/4 in nut width. Due to a lack of response I’m having to resort to replying to your notice of 16/4/2002 in the hope of getting information on how to acquire one. A ebay seller in Illinois had one for sale in January this year but refused to ship to England. I have a feeling I am destined to own one since I read about them! I have an affinity with Long Island, having stayed in Middle Neck,Great Neck and Jamaica in the late 70’s and early 80’s. One of my favourite places is Cold Springs Harbor. I hope you are not offended or inconvenienced by this request. Cheers. Tony

Anonymous

Hello mine would be for sale but dont know anything about the value, i’m from quebec , canada. Email me6

Anonymous

I have 3 Taytay Guitars. The oldest built by Vincent in 1952 in amazing condition. Was my Fathers. The other two built in Long Island by his Grandson in the late 60’s. Would be happy to send you photos. They are for sale

Anonymous

Hi… Do you still have any Tatay guitars? If so, could you please send pictures, what is the condition of the guitar and how much you are asking for it?

thank you!
            Helen

Anonymous

I own a beautiful Tatay that is in mint condition. It was a gift to me in the late 60’s, purchased from Andrew at their factory. Andrew also appraised my 1960 Martin 00-G28 in 1996 (also for sale!)

If you have interest, let me know. I now reside in Los Angeles.
              [email protected]

Anonymous

Hello if you are still interested email to me at the above address.
              I have 2. I am the original owner. One is 1/2 size.
              Thanks!

Anonymous

hello Jim, do you stall have the oldest Tatay.

Anonymous

I just took out my custom-made Tatay for the first time since ’99. My classical guitar was buit by the Farmingvile, NY branch of the family in 1973 or so. I found an article from the NY Times dated May 28, 1978 folded up in the guitar case which describes the family buisiness and has a picture of Andrew Tatay working on an archtop with his son James. I’m lining in the area again after may years, and I’ve noticed that the Tatay & Sons shop has a for-sale sign on it. : My dad owns Tatay and Sons in Farmingville, New York. He’s getting ready to sell the business and retire. You can e-mail me if you want more info.

Anonymous

: I just took out my custom-made Tatay for the first time since ’99. My classical guitar was buit by the Farmingvile, NY branch of the family in 1973 or so. I found an article from the NY Times dated May 28, 1978 folded up in the guitar case which describes the family buisiness and has a picture of Andrew Tatay working on an archtop with his son James. I’m lining in the area again after may years, and I’ve noticed that the Tatay & Sons shop has a for-sale sign on it. : : : My dad owns Tatay and Sons in Farmingville, New York. He’s getting ready to sell the business and retire. You can e-mail me if you want more info. I own a Tatay guitar that was handmade for my father by Mr. Tatay many many years ago. If anyone is interested in this item, please contact me at [email protected]. I have other guitars for sale as well.

Anonymous

Would be interested in knowing more about the guitar. Thanks.: : I just took out my custom-made Tatay for the first time since ’99. My classical guitar was buit by the Farmingvile, NY branch of the family in 1973 or so. I found an article from the NY Times dated May 28, 1978 folded up in the guitar case which describes the family buisiness and has a picture of Andrew Tatay working on an archtop with his son James. I’m lining in the area again after may years, and I’ve noticed that the Tatay & Sons shop has a for-sale sign on it. : : : : : My dad owns Tatay and Sons in Farmingville, New York. He’s getting ready to sell the business and retire. You can e-mail me if you want more info. : I own a Tatay guitar that was handmade for my father by Mr. Tatay many many years ago. If anyone is interested in this item, please contact me at [email protected]. I have other guitars for sale as well.

Anonymous

Hi, I’m writing from Australia .. and have – by chance – just been given and old nylon string accoustic guitar (with case) made by V Tatay in 1962 (according to the label inside the body of the instrument). The guitar is in fair condition and I’m about to take it to my local guitar repair shop for them to check it out and put new strings and a bit of a clean up. Is there any info at all you can give me on the guitars? Were they popular? Are they really worth keeping etc? It has a white ‘split’ pick guard between the sound hole and the bridge. If you can reply at all please send to <[email protected]) regards Steve Smith South Australia : My dad owns Tatay and Sons in Farmingville, New York. He’s getting ready to sell the business and retire. You can e-mail me if you want more info.

Anonymous

Been researching these guitars and after a lot of research purchased a 62 Tatay from an antique shop in Virginia. The guitar was in poor condition with a couple of cracks behind the bridge and one from rear of guitar to sound hole. Also back was loose by binding. Guitar like yours had the split white pick guards and was probably for flamenco. I had a luthier look at photos and decided to bite the bullet and purchased for 250 us$. The luthier reworked the shoddy repair work on the guitar and reglued the bridge. He also removed ugly white pitch guards. The guitar is awesome and has huge volume. Guitar is very light and is mahogany with Brazilian rosewood bridge and sound board. Still up in air on back which was a ply veneer. Tuners we’re new and very good. I sank $200 into it so have a very interesting guitar for $450. The guitar has the label intact _ reads: v Tatay guitarras espanolas New York , stamped July 1962, est 1861. I think probably purchased from the NY Store versus the Long Island shop. Sounds like we may have the same model possibly Steve?

Anonymous

Picked up a 1962 z tatay Spanish guitar stamped on label July 1962 z tatay, New York – guitaras españolas -assume from my reading of all these posts that it was purchased from the NY store not Long Island. The guitar like yours had the added white split flamenco pick guard. Very light guitar with a huge sound- damaged from top base behind bridge with 2 cracks that had been repaired poorly along with the bridge that was poorly reglued. After several weeks of looking at the guitar in an antique center I gave in a purchased it for $250 usd. I have a luthier that had reviews photos and he was able to undo the crappy repair work and redo. The bridge is rosewood and soundboard also, Mahogany rest, tuners looked new and recent. I sank $200 usd all said and done and am thrilled to have a vintage 62 guitar that sounds beautiful! Probably similar to yours Steve!

Anonymous

is in fair condition and I’m about to take it to my local guitar repair shop for them to check it new a bit of a clean up. Is there any info at all you can give me on the guitars? Were they popular? Are they really worth keeping etc? It has a white ‘split’ pick guard between the sound hole and the bridge. If you can reply at all please send to <[email protected]) : regards : : Steve Smith : South Australia : : My dad owns Tatay and Sons in Farmingville, New York. He’s getting ready to sell the business and retire. You can e-mail me if you want more info. I saw your reply. Mr Tatay did some fine work for me on various occasions and he did tell me he was going to retire. He also mentioned that he would keep some customers. If that is true, I certainly would like to contact him.

Anonymous

I had a Tatay guitar in late 50’s it was hand made in Valencia Spain all wood binding on edges nothing fancy to look at but what a tone good luck with the research Iain.

Anonymous

I stilll have one. Anyone have any idea on the value of it? It was my husbands.

Anonymous

: I stilll have one. Anyone have any idea on the value of it? It was my husbands. : I have one also – it was my dad’s. Has to be at least 40 years old. In perfect condition.

Anonymous

It does have a nice tone, mine may have lost some of it’s tone, though it WAS made in the 40’s. Mine was my grandfather’s, so I don’t know how much they’re worth. If anyone knows, E-mail me.

Anonymous

They are manafactured in Spain and the shop is still open and manufactuing guitars, I have heard about the Tatay in NY, and the ‘stories’ about him, but don’t know anything solid about his work. If you contact the factory they can probally give you some history and model info. : Anybody have any information on Tatay guitars? : V. Tatay was a luthier in New York in the ’50s and ’60s. : Bob

Anonymous

Actually Vicente Tatay father was a luthier in the late 1800s and early 1900s. He manufactured the original guitars by hand and from entire pieces of wood. He sold his interest to a Japanese conglomerate I believe in 1909 or 1910. His sons moved to the US in the 40s and established a factory of Vicente Tatay guitars in the 50s in New Jersey. Those guitars were cheaply made and are not worth much today. I own an original B102t model made in Spain that my father gave me. The guitar is probably close to 70 years old and it is in mint condition.

Anonymous

I have a tatay grand concert made 1959(had for 20 years. Brazillian rosewood etc. Lots of inlay. I bought it privately with original sales tag and address of retailer. There was a shop in the Belvedere Hotel NYC. I talked to the old fellow there about it and he told me the the tatays were on Long Island somewhere making these guitars.It was a long time ago and I really don’t remember that well. I know very little about guitars(don’t play)but showed it to a local guitar repair fellow who seemed knowledgable and he said it was an extremely fine guitar with beautiful tone with exceptional woods. Very tight grain spruce top with Brazilian rosewood sides and back. do you know anything about this type of guitar?

Anonymous

My father William L Bonyun now deceased had several Tatay guitars he taught American History then became an educational folk singer he made educational records though his company Heirloom records back in the late 50s to early 60,s. Tatay had his shop in farmingdale Ny on the southshore of Long island Tatay had come over from spain in the early part of the century. His sons continued to make them unkown if still doing so.

Anonymous

I have a tatay guitar dated 1964. tatays’ shop was in Farmingville, not Farmingdale. Small south shore town Long Island N.Y. The shop is no longer in business. My guitar needs some minor repair so I was sorry to see that the shop is gone seemingly without a trace.

Anonymous

hello, im from spain an vicente tatay was the granfather of my father (Emilio Tatay Marti). The guitars factory was open in 1899 in Paterna Valencia, but many time ago was sold to a Japoness´s company.I know that i have family (uncles) in NY but i never meet they, and i like do it so much. i didnt know that the factory followed in NY… iwill ask to my father.i enjoy to know someting from my family of there, and that stories that somebody say(gt). thanks and sorry for my english.Saludos desde España.

Anonymous

Hello David. I am from Lisbon, and have recently aquired a second hand Vicente Tatay Tomas guitar. It is a nice guitar, all solid mahogany and spruce. It has no date, but some detais make me believe this is an old one, probably from his first years. From the information I found in the internet, with the genealogy of the Tatay guitar makers, I believe Vicente Tatay Tomas is you grand uncle. Am I right? Do you know anything about him? Is he still alive? If so, does he still works? The guitar is in rough shape, but still playable. If he is still active I would love to meet him, and ask him to restore himself my guitar.

Saludos de Portugal
          Francisco Anjos

Anonymous

I traded some work in Remodeling for a Tatay Guitar about twenty years ago in a City called Caguas in Puerto Rico. The guitar has Pressed in the wood the name Vicente Tatay. I fixed it up and am very fond of it,

Anonymous

Saludos:Amigo de Caguas, si vendes la Tatay, avisame..Soy tambien de Caguas 787-318-0318 Gracias

Anonymous

Yo soy de Caguas y tengo una guitarra Tatay, estoy interesado en venderla. Me puede llamar al 787-364-7019 o escribir a [email protected]

Anonymous

: hello, im from spain an vicente tatay was the granfather of my father (Emilio Tatay Marti). The guitars factory was open in 1899 in Paterna Valencia, but many time ago was sold to a Japoness´s company.I know that i have family (uncles) in NY but i never meet they, and i like do it so much. i didnt know that the factory followed in NY… iwill ask to my father.i enjoy to know someting from my family of there, and that stories that somebody say(gt). thanks and sorry for my english.Saludos desde España.

Anonymous

: : hello, im from spain an vicente tatay was the granfather of my father (Emilio Tatay Marti). The guitars factory was open in 1899 in Paterna Valencia, but many time ago was sold to a Japoness´s company.I know that i have family (uncles) in NY but i never meet they, and i like do it so much. i didnt know that the factory followed in NY… iwill ask to my father.i enjoy to know someting from my family of there, and that stories that somebody say(gt). thanks and sorry for my english.Saludos desde España. I have a Vicente Tatay guitar and I am trying to locate more information about them . It was made in Barcelona, Spain and is numbered. Could the above person contact me by email? Thanks

Anonymous

My grandfather who came over here in the 20’s started making guitars and then went out to Long Island and built a business out there. He passed away back in the 70’s and my uncle Andrew took over the business and made guitars till he retired, The business was sold. You have many cousins and family in New York and Florida. Drop a line sometime or you can find me on Face Book as well,

Your distant Cousin,

Ann Marshall

Anonymous

I got my first Tatay guitar in 1963 – I have several now . . . I’m writing an article reviewing the handmade instruments from New York (as opposed to the factory instruments from Valencia) and would be interested in some family details . . . such as: how many brothers did Andres have? Some say 2 some say 6 (and a sister) I believe he was the only one to come to the US around 1924. Also – was one of his brothers actually named “Vicente” after their father, Vicente Tatay Alabau. Even though the name Vicente Tatay Tomas was used on factory labels, several of the brothers including Andres used that name more like a brand name. I have a New York guitar with a label from the 5th Avenue shop dated Feb 2, 1940 and signed “Vicente Tatay” but I am sure it was made by Andres Tatay Tomas in his shop, possibly with wood supplied by his brothers in Valencia.
                thanks for any details you can give
                January

Anonymous

You seem to know a lot about Tatay guitars. I am hoping that you can help or perhaps point me in the right direction. I recently took possession of a beautiful little Tatay with the Valencia label in it. Wood binding and lovely wood inlay at the sound home. But no date stamp or numbers of any kind. Just a pencil mark, like a cursive capital B, on the base of the neck bracing.
                  I’m trying to date this guitar. Can you help?

Anonymous

Hi I’m David Tatay and I just notice that the first guitar of Chris Martin was a Tatay, made of my great-grandfather and was recently actunied for $28k.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-devon-33255647

Cool, isn’t it?

Anonymous

David,
                  Back in 1970’s I worked with Gabe Taytay at the Air Traffic Control Center in Islip. My wife and I spent a wonderful day on his boat and I did the lettering on the transom (The Blue Tango.) We met his father in the guitar shop in Farmingdale. Having grown up in Ronkonkoma, I was familiar with the shop.
                  Tom

Anonymous

Hello I have 3 Taytay Guitars. One was made in 1952 by Vincent Tatay my father had it custom made through the Spanish Guitar Store in NYC. It is in very good condition, light as a feather. Not sure on woods but I’m sure you could tell. When I was very young I remember bringing the Guitar to the Tatay Factory out in Farmingdale Long Island for repair work on the Bridge in the late 1960’s. I believe this was Vincents grandson who continued the family tradition. At that time he wanted to buy the guitar from us when he saw it was made by his grandfather. My dad did not want to sell and he did a beautiful job fixing the guitar. His workshop was amazing. Everything done by hand by one man. To a young boy it looked like Santas workshop.

Anonymous

Hi, I own a Vicente Tatay Thomas Guitar. Not sure the date was made…but I love it… it is my baby. Although I don’t play Classical… I’m on my way of getting to it. It is unfortunate that I did not check this site. I think am too late to ask if the guitar is still available… and what is the condition. I am also looking for a luthier that could fix my guitar as it has a big open on the body. I will appreciate any information regarding where I could take my guitar in Long Island NY… if possible affordable one. I will appreciate any information. Thank you!

Anonymous

If you are still offering your guitars for sale please contact me. Thank you

Anonymous

I recently received a Tatay classical guitar as a gift, it is in poor condition, but it still plays pretty well. I’m trying to date it, and I cannot find a date written or stamped on the inside. My only 2 clues are the internal sticker, which shows it to be post-1942 (but before the sons took it over, and the label changed again?). My label is Fabrica de Guitarras, Bandurrias y Laudes, Vincente Tatay, Literato Azorin No.13, Valencia (Espana). My label does not say Hijos on it anywhere.

And the back of the headstock is stamped V. Tatay, Made in Valencia Spain

Here is a link to the sticker that is in my guitar:

https://i.ibb.co/34pmDCG/IMG-1231.jpg

Thank you for any insight you can offer.

Sincerely,
                      Eric Stump, New Jersey USA

Anonymous

I have one made in the 60’s that is in MINT condition for sale.
                      lysafrankfort AT yahoo.com
                      I’ll send you pictures if interested.

Anonymous

I bought a Tatay online about a year ago—it has not been easy trying to date it, but the label says it was made in Spain, not New York—could you please send pix of your Tatays for comparison? I might also be interested in getting another
                    Tatay…

Thanks,
                    David
                    Santa Fe, NM

Anonymous

I have a Tatay that my dad bought back in late 60’s from the Tatay workshop in my hometown Farmingville, Long Island, New York. I had bought another one for myself back then…don’t remember where that ended up. I still love the tone and action on this guitar. I loved visiting the shop which was in walking distance. I remember your grandfather…he was so nice to me, this teenage guitar playing wannabee!
                I always think of him and his beautiful guitars when I go back to Long Island to visit. The old shop is now a little seafood restaurant…seems sacrilegious to me. Anyway, just wanted to share my fond memory with you!

Anonymous

Andrew Tatay, Farmingville, NY, made a guitar for me with solid rosewood sides and back, French polish, flamenco pegs, the top is braced like a flamenco guitar, but it has the hybrid appearance of a flamenco/classical–beautiful colors in the rosette. I love it. My information is that 7 Tatay brothers emigrated from Spain to South America, and one brother moved north to Long Island. He had twin boys who were active in their local volunteer fire department, and also made guitars with their father, (Vicente?). There was a family rift between the brothers in later years, around 1975 (?), and they possibly sold the business and stopped making guitars. Does anyone have different information? –John

Anonymous

I bought a Tatay from my teacher Sophocles Pappas around 1954 and played it for many years. Very playable. I wish I had another one. Lent that one and never saw it again.

Anonymous

estimados amigos desde venezuela les escribo ya que estoy interesada en adquirir varios modelos de guitarra y quisera me enviaran la informacion de ustedes, yo tengo una tienda grande en venezuela y me interesa.. yeni rojas

Viewing 35 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.