Home Forums Discussion Popular Topics any VOX Cambridge 30 owners out there?

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

just bought a VOX Cambridge 30 combo amp at Guitar Center at a bargain close-out. sounds real sweet on clean channel, nice brit-rock tones on clean/overdrive channel…very happy with it, but notice mid-range-boost has no noticable effect whether on or off…is this a feature, or is it just my amp?

Related News
    Vox AC30C2X Guitar Amp

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

I think your switch is broken, not uncommon at Guitar Center. Take it into a reputable guitar shop (i:e, not GC) and they should be able to fix it for under 50 bucks. Cambridge 30 rocks, and midrange boost completely changes the sound to be fatter and louder, especially when swicthed to a neck pickup. ryan : just bought a VOX Cambridge 30 combo amp at Guitar Center at a bargain close-out. sounds real sweet on clean channel, nice brit-rock tones on clean/overdrive channel…very happy with it, but notice mid-range-boost has no noticable effect whether on or off…is this a feature, or is it just my amp?

Anonymous

I’ve had my Cambridge 30 for almost 2 years now, got it on closeout from Musicians Friend. I’m very pleased with it, it sounds great with my Danelectro Mod6 plugged directly into it or thru my Digitech RP200 pedal. The mid-boost seems to work, though not terribly noticeable, it is just a mild effect – should make the amp more "raunchy" and "scooped" sounding. The only problem I’ve had with the amp, which is very similar to one I had with a Peavey Bravo all tube (piece of crap) I bought 10 years ago and is sitting in my scrap heap, is that the amp sounds muddy or "farty" sounding, especially through the Digitech pedal, and messing around with pedal and amp settings seems to clear it up – definitely not a blown speaker, cable or guitar problem. I switched the preamp tube today, it seemed to make it somewhat better, but it seems that after the amp’s been on a while it starts sounding muddy again. Anyone else experience this? Any tips or mods for this amp are appreciated. Thanks – Jason : just bought a VOX Cambridge 30 combo amp at Guitar Center at a bargain close-out. sounds real sweet on clean channel, nice brit-rock tones on clean/overdrive channel…very happy with it, but notice mid-range-boost has no noticable effect whether on or off…is this a feature, or is it just my amp?

Anonymous

I have a Vox cambridge 30 twin. There is small noticeable effect with the mid-range boost. All the features on mine work ok. It does have a noticable amount of hum on the line out though. This would be my only real complaint. Vox has discountinued this line. I think for quality reasons as well as alot of folks felt there was not enough volume. This can easily be boosted with a Boss overdrive pedal. Also its sturdyness of construction is a little questionable. My hope would be that VOX come out with a 50-60 Watt Hybrid version similar to the Marshall AVT series. : just bought a VOX Cambridge 30 combo amp at Guitar Center at a bargain close-out. sounds real sweet on clean channel, nice brit-rock tones on clean/overdrive channel…very happy with it, but notice mid-range-boost has no noticable effect whether on or off…is this a feature, or is it just my amp?

Anonymous

I read a review somewhere where one guy hads tried like 4 of these before he found one where all the features (trem, mid boost, etc.) worked. I don’t have this amp myself (yet, although I’m thinking I might get it), so I can’t confirm this. It could be that some of them don’t work as well as others. I’d rather not think that this is a common problem, but it may be :-(.

Anonymous

Matt Vox has discountinued this line of amps, most likly for poor sales due to quality and volume issues discussed on the Web. If you can get it cheap enough, its probably worth. I would like to see VOX come out with a new hybrid line which correct some of these issues. You might want to look at the Marshall AVT series. The appear to be of more robust construction and have a longer warranty. : I read a review somewhere where one guy hads tried like 4 of these before he found one where all the features (trem, mid boost, etc.) worked. I don’t have this amp myself (yet, although I’m thinking I might get it), so I can’t confirm this. It could be that some of them don’t work as well as others. I’d rather not think that this is a common problem, but it may be :-(.

Anonymous

Yeah but the avt sounds nothing alike. Ive owned both and id keep the cambridge any day… in fact i did. i sold the avt because it was so bland. better construction? perhaps… but the cambridge has superior sound… and if any features are having problems they are all easily and cheaply remedied.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.