modes

Posted by azlif on Thu, 04/11/02 - 20:45:31.

i wanna what this mode all about and it can be used practically(especially while improvising)

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: modes

I presume you know how to play a c-major scale. If you start on D instead on C, and play the same scale (c-major) from D to D you've got the Dorian Mode. If you play the same scale (c-major) from E to E you've got a frygian mode. The frygian mode may sound kind of spanish. This is becausse of the relationship between the first and the secound note (E and F). The distance is a half step, while in the C-major it's a whole step. The secound note(F) is then a special note becausse it's what makes the frygian instead of aolian (mode-name for the major scale).

When it comes to improvisning you play these modes on top of chord/chord-progression that fit with the mode. For instance, try to use the F often in progressions where you are improvising with the frygian mode. (F/E) is a nice chord to use in that situasjon, becausse you very clearly get the relarionship between F and E.

There is a lot of very interesting theory on this sucject. More than I can go through right now. I suggest you buy a theory book. It's great stuff if you feel you have need for some new inspiration, or you are interested in music theory.

: i wanna what this mode all about and it can be used practically(especially while improvising)

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2021 , All Rights Reserved.

Affiliate Notice: As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.