Homepage Forums Discussion Popular Topics Maya Guitars

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

Hi.

Does anyone have any information on Maya Guitars. What I know so far is they were/are a Japanese maker and were apparently based in Kobe from the early 70’s until the earthquake in the 90’s. They made high-quality knock-offs of major brand instruments in the lates 70’s and 80’s at least as good as the Ibanez Lawsuit models of the same era. Not quite up to Gibson yet, but learning fast.

I have a really nice copy of a late 70’s early 80’s Gibson ES 175. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Email me if you want to see pictures.

Viewing 52 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

My mom bought a Maya C112 3/4 nylon acoustic guitar from a music shop on Union Street in San Francisco in 1968. I’ve been looking for information on it, but haven’t been able to find anything online for that particular model. The closest match I’ve found in online listings is model C114. Most of the info on Maya guitars says they were around in 1970s but nothing about late 60s. I told my mom but she was pretty sure it was in ‘68 when she lived in the neighborhood she bought the guitar in. Anyone know anything about the C112 guitar or the Maya catalogue from that era?

Anonymous

I have a Maya Les Paul and I love to play on my guitar. Still after all these years I question the authenticity of my Maya Les Paul.
      Does anybody know if there are books available where I can find the characteristics of the Maya guitars especially about the Les Paul?

Anonymous

As round hole(sun world) 10poleCharDor
      GloBalMeteors(cramps&all) stray
      Kat strut loads of marketry inlays
      Curved bowte pearldrop picture
      Label said same about making for
      Music but was signed as made
      In Germany, so incantation Ja panoptimin
      Things gong viral useless Eustace
      Queen Liz Lit ER Google hunts ends!!
      Clockwork alexinfowars!! Hypno!

Anonymous

Looking for original saddles and bridge plate for a Maya Strat. Please contact me if you have available.

Anonymous

I bought a maya c119 classical guitar for $49.00aus at a pawn shop Melbourne Australia on21st june 2019 I have to restring the guitar and was surprised by the quality of workmanship on the label has maya we made this guitar for people who love guitar music and japan it has a two piece back and it beautiful timber it looks almost identical to the hiroshi tamura c30 guitar on ebay for $3000.00 aus from japan the timber is the same can anyone help me as to who sold it

Anonymous

I have a maya semi hollow. I dont know what model is it though, it also has the made in japan sticker at the back of the head. I just finished repairing its neck as it was neglected in my grandparent’s house. It has all the stock parts which is suprisingly still working.

Anonymous

Ive got a Maya SG copy, found it in a pawn shop in Geelong Victoria Australia 25 years ago. I have no idea what it is worth but love playing it to this day.

Anonymous

Is it misrepresented that “real maya s400 for sale at this website?

Anonymous

who wants to buy my maya guitar made in 1970’s?, just email me if you are interested. [email protected]

Anonymous

Hi I just purchased a this guitar and it seems to be an exact copy of a martin d-18, they used laminate top, back and sides but the tuners are great and it appears to have a really nice mahogany neck and rosewood fret board. The thing is a cannon and has a incredibly straight neck and great low action. Anyone know anything about the maya f340

Anonymous

Hi. I have a Maya bass guitar for sale. For anyone who may be interested please get in touch and I can send photos and details.

Anonymous

I bought this Maya classical guitar model 0128at the Len Williams Spanish Guitar Studio in Leicester Square London in either 1964 or 1965.
      It cost around £120 which was a lot of money in those days. It has travelled around the world with me although I gave up playing long ago, I couldn’t part with it.
      Any info on this guitar?

Anonymous

I bought a Maya F335 guitar from a kind of junk shop that sold all kinds of everything.
      In the shop window was a guitar once owned by by David Bowie which caught my attention.
      I couldn’t resist a look at this guitar. It turns out the guitar was a real heap of junk.
      The shop owner asked me if I was looking to buy a guitar hero had another one in the back of the shop he was selling for someone.
      He presented me with the Maya F335. As soon as I picked it up and started to play I was impressed thinking it must be quite expensive. I asked the price he told me the owner was looking for £60. I told him I wasn’t looking to spend that much. He said to make an offer.
      I said I’d give £30. He went and phoned the owner, came back and said my offer was accepted. I paid the £30 waited for a receipt he then came back with the receipt and a hard case to go with the guitar!
      That all happened in 1988.
      I still play the guitar to this day!

Anonymous

Hi, I Bought A Maya Les Paul 1969 Black Beauty Copy In About 1977 For Around $139 AUD. I Don’t Play So It’s Spent It’s Life In The Case It Came In Only For Me To Take It Out Once In A Blue Moon To LOOK At It & Play WITH IT Until Next Time. I’ve Often Wondered About The Brand & Have Become Obsessed Trying To Get Information On It. I Have A Book By Tony Bacon On Ibanez & One By Frank Meyers On The History Of Japanese Guitars (1950’s & 60’s) Yet There Is No Mention Of Maya In Either Book. Over The Many Years I’ve Had It I’ve Thought Of It As ”Just A Cheap Japanese Copy” (Bolt On Neck etc.) But Now I Just Don’t Know Due To Sites Like This. I’m No Expert On The Quality Of Guitars & Would Happily Accept It’s Exactly What I Think It Is. The Body Construction Seems To Be Layered or Made Of A Plywood As There Seems To Be Slight Indentations In The Surface Of The Edges Of The Guitar. The Fingerbord Block Markings Are A Silver Paint. As A Display Piece It Does A Good Job & It Has Motivated Me To Recently Purchase The REAL ITEM. I Have Tried To Compare Them But They Both Sound O.K. To Me & They Both Seem To Have A Low Action. I’m Sure If A Player Was To Test Them Out In A Blind Test The Gibson Would Come Out In Front But As Far As Value Goes I Don’t Know That The Real One Would Come Out 20-30 Times Better Which Is The Range Of Their Price Differences. (If You Can Even Compare The Prices 40 Years Apart. )They Will Both Be Kept For Different Reasons As Really They Represent Different Things At Different Times Of My Life. Meanwhile The Search For Information On Maya Continues.

Anonymous

I have a Maya guitar serial nr MJ200N – I bought it from a friend in the early nineties – in mint condition and I always get complimented on the guitar. Do have a Yamaha 12 string as well. I actually did not know about the history of the Maya guitar until recently when I did some research. Very impressed with the fact that I am the proud owner of such a rare guitar!!!

Anonymous

If anyone is interested in this guitar make an offer. Email me at grayone40@ gmail.com

Anonymous

I Have a maya semi acoustic Its sat in the cupboard since 1975 was a birthday pres
      no idea whats its worth or where to sell it. its in great cond
      any help out there

Anonymous

Second hand guitars in the US range prices from 100 – 250 USD$. The high end ones like MArtin and Gibsons sell to the thousands of dollars. Maya guitars are rare items especially the acoustic ones since Maya has stopped production after the KObe quake in 1998(?). You may have noticed that maya guitars going around in the world are mostly electric guitars. Hence, the acoustic ones are rarely being moved. Therefore, we have rare maya acoustic guitars. MIne is a jumbo acoustic (probably an F-339J – silverfish ate the tag inside so I could not read the vital information). Since it is semi-acoustic, younger generations nowadays like guitars that they can play both plugged in and unplugged. It is the in thing now. You can sell your guitar probably below USD$300 but since it is a 1975 model, it can go a little higher since it is already a vintage guitar and aging guitars have prices appreciate rather than depreciate. So, depending on the condition of your guitar and how much the buyer is willing to shell out, I’d say your guitar can be USD$200 to as much as USD$500. MAya is not a known brand but it is rare. Good luck.

Anonymous

I have had for a few years a very accurate 1970s(early) LP custom copy in bright solid red with black pu rings and cream humbuckers. This thing is amazing! It must be approximately 1972 according to pot codes. Looks like a Norlin era Les Paul custom and has a volute and two screw bell truss cover,binding with nibs aka Gibson as well as a hefty 10 plus lbs. in weight. The top is arched but not dramatically.Fully bound front and back with 5 ply black,white. The headstock has the diamond inlay as well as a open book shape. Sonically it’s really sustain healthy and the neck is a very comfy c/d shape. The top is maple and the body a one piece mohoghany. Only odd feature is a rosewood fretboard instead of the Gibson ebony. The tuners on it are early 70’s Schaller black nylon and chrome replacements and it has a nice lightweight plastic hardshell case. I paid around $360 for it from someone in Texas and it has become a fav of mine when I’m want to play any old Bowie Spiders tunes,Mott and anything glam. It expresses itself well both clean and crunched up and so far I’ve found it shines through nearly any amp I play it through. I’ve read that the “el Maya” guitars were supposedly superior to these,but I’m so impressed with this Maya that I’m not too concerned with worrying about the comparison. I’ve have seen some variants of this LP shape with Maya and el Maya guitars but there all been bolt on necks. Not mine.Wow,what a lucky find this guitar has been. It compares well with my neck through Fernandes Monterey and also my Goya Les Paul Deluxe copy,also from Japan in the seventies. If anyone has another like it,please get in touch or at least write a bit of your thoughts on this thread.

Anonymous

Long time ago I read that the Maya – El maya factory was situated in tokyo between 1968 – 198? where an earthquace destroyed it, and never rebuilt it again. Thats wy this guitars are a rare vintage icons. Is it true or not? I don´t know but I love the “taste” of my maya model 330 with tremolo. a rare and unique single coil and total hollowbody sound. regards

Anonymous

Hi.
      I have a Maya Jumbo Western Guitar since 1985. Model Nr.: MJ200N Serien Nr.: 00806 .
      I think she is from the 70er. It is an very good Instrument as Taylor.
      Leo

Anonymous

I am thinking of buying a maya classical guitar made in the 70s. I don’t have the opportunity to play it, and am hoping someone out there could give me some imput on this axe, tone / playability / propensity for constant luthier bills, etc. Says that it was designed after a Martin model. Now I know that every guitar has it’s own sound, so a little imput would be appreciated, thanks, T.J.

Anonymous

I got a Maya ES-175 copy that has a mahoghany neck that feels even better than my other 5 vintage Gibsons. It has a 3 ply maple top which probably sounds better than Gibson’s 5 ply. The Pickups are fantastic and I doubt can be improved. The only major change were I can honestly say the Gibson was better is the tuning machines. I replaced the originals with nickel Grovers, which made the guitar sound better with the extra weight at the headstock. A great guitar most likely made by the master luthier Tahara, even the fingerboard looks Brazillian and high quality. I don’t see how an El Maya or Greco or Aria or even a Gibson can be better other than market value. Very unknown and underrated gem!!! Now they made lots of different guitars and the quality varies, El Maya is looked at more positively because they put out the Hollow-bodies and semi-hollow and not the lower end models. Though the Maya and El Maya es-175’s and 335’s were most likely made by the same guy, Tahara.

Anonymous

I bought a used Maya semi acoustic guitar in the 80’s for 500 pounds. I tried every single guitar in the shop and the Maya by far played the best. To this day I’ve never found another guitar that comes close and that is selling for less than $20k. Maybe I got a one off. Maybe they’re all that good. I can’t say for sure. Mine was the first and only Maya guitar I’ve ever come across.

Anonymous

I am trying to sell this guitar. belonged to my deceased wife. any info on price range ???

Anonymous

I have an old Maya acoustic guitar that I bought about 4 yrs ago, from a woman who I had gone to High school with back in the ’70s. She said she had bought the guitar back in the 70’s, not sure what year though. In the sound hole the sticker says: Maya, Made by Takamine, No. TF101S, and then beside that it says Japan. This is a small guitar about a 3/4 size, with a great sound. The bridge needs work and the tuning keys should be replaced also, but it sounds and plays great.

Anonymous

I just purchased a left handed Maya Les Paul Special style today on Trademe, paid $146NZ in auction, drove 2 hours to collect, I had no idea what it was, but the pictures on the auction looked ok, I was hoping it was Japanese maybe 80’s, very pleased to find this forum, and good to know that perhaps it is late 70’s, it only has 3 strings and a few dents, it looks as though someone has added neck packers to adjust the action (now the last 3 strings rattle on the frets), should be not too difficult to tidy up… the neck is very straight, I am not sure what the fretboard inlay is made of, I am sure is not plastic, feels more like aluminium or something… will try to find out, there is some defect around the edge of the body, noticed it first when arrived home, behind the neck, at first thought it a structural crack and was dismayed, but now see it at other area around the body on the same line, it looks more like a line where the edge trim has been routed in… not concerned at this stage… supposed to be working from home tomorrow, but now think I will take a quick 45 min. drive to the nearest music shop to get some strings and a few bits and bobs for it, not sure whether to string it as right handed or start learning left handed, probably will replace the tuning keys with some I have from an old Epiphone, and keep originals, so far, very happy with purchase…

Anonymous

I have a nice Maya F400 12 string which I bought in Dubai for about £100 in 1983. Haven’t used it for ages but found it the other night then found this website. It’s in excellent condition and I’m off to get new strings for it!

Anonymous

I was lucky enough to buy a Maya Strat copy in Australia for $150 shipped.
      Truth is that when I spent some tome setting up and cleaning up this guitar
      that was very neglected , it turned out to be a fantastic playing and sounding
      guitar that is as good or better than the brand it copied. This strat has aged
      beautifully with the neck turning amber. I still have the original pickups but have
      swapped them out and put Am standards in for now. Some pics here
      [IMG]http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr63/SNAPPERAZZI/D77A2FD1-49CC-42B1-ADBB-D3D036F8F6BE-37773-0000355D1DBAC695_zps30b237bc.jpg[/IMG]
      [IMG]http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr63/SNAPPERAZZI/965D2216-34D3-4A07-95CE-051D69611557-37773-0000355D2B89184C_zpsdcc95f69.jpg[/IMG]
      [IMG]http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/rr63/SNAPPERAZZI/1D672FD2-3257-4225-BB2F-FF4441300C7E-1192-000001B19E1E6300_zps8190d7d7.jpg[/IMG]
      My JV Squier and Maya Strats are my favourite guitars of all time.
      check them out in action here http://www.exile11.com

Anonymous

I once had a beautiful,semi accurate Maya Jazzmaster.It was in an aged white finish,and the neck was a flame maple c style.Amazingly beautiful guitar.

Anonymous

Hi,
      Nice to find a site with so much love for Maya guitars.
      I heard an N45J in a local luthiers a few years ago.
      I was totally blown away by the tone and the very obvious resemblance to a certain American maker’s guitars…
      Open book headstock, 2 screw truss rod cover,50’s neck profile,2 colour sunburst, etc etc.
      John, the luthier was very impressed too… a very hard act.

So I watched ebay every week for over a year and a half until one came up. I was the only bidder… so got it for a song from it’s original owner. I had to ship an empty box & packing material to the other end of the UK as the seller was only selling with local pickup. Thankfully she had relented under my pitiful begging pleas and agreed to wrap it up for pickup.
      Got it shipped back and it was immaculate, in it’s original case.
      And the sound is glorious. As my guitar collecting muso friend said ” that is the Led Zeppelin III tone that I have been chasing for years…”

Serial is 19770926, so not the same as the two previously mentioned 199770709’s.
      How about a made date of 26th September 1977? Discuss…

Since then I have picked up several Maya related items.
      A lovely aged cream ’68 Strat copy (think Hendrix Monterey, big headstock, ‘A’ width neck, all maple). Sounds lovely too.

I also bought on impulse, a cheap beat up tele copy from a retired local gigging musician. It has a mahogany 1 piece body with a thin deep blue nitro finish & solid brass bridge. He reckoned that it was made in Bristol for Shakin’ Stevens guitarist.
      If that was true, that would be the legendary Mickey Gee, but I have no provenance, so it’s just another guitar tale.

The neck was an all maple bullet truss rod no name that he said was the only neck he ever liked, as he disliked regular Fe*der necks.
      When my luthier friend was setting it up with BareKnuckle Yardbirds, he discovered that the neck had the Maya stamp on the butt end… weird, but very pleasing.
      This thing has Mojo in spades, several people have tried it and have dubbed it “the best tele that Fe*der never made”.

Add in a couple of Teisco style Maya branded tele/strat hybrids with cool garage band style & sound.
      Also very nice through(thru) neck Strat,with Korina wings and Korina/rosewood/maple stripe from headstock to butt.
      Has original Dimarzio SDS-1’s and is a real rock machine. Again, no name to substantiate it’s origin, but was advertised as a Maya, so it has a home with me 😉

Never been lucky enough to get an El Maya yet, supposedly from the same company, but I’m still looking.

Graeme

Anonymous
      Anonymous

Has anybody ever heard of a Gibson Hummingbird Maya. There is one locally and I am itching to at least go try it but so far I can not find any info about it. It appears to have a model number of FG50 or F350 (picture is blurry). Anyways if anybody knows anything that would be great!

Anonymous

I have a maya jsh me85 and was so wondering if anyone could help me in giving me a little more information on it please 🙂

Anonymous

I have a Maya Stratocaster copy that I rescued from a dumpster around 1980. I had to work on it to get the intonation right. I’ve popped the pickguard and I don’t think it has its’ original pickups because the soldering is really a mess. It is a pretty heavy guitar. It is all white with a maple neck and fret board and plays OK. I’ve always planned on replacing the pickups and switch but have never got around to it. It doesn’t play as easy as my American made Strat but it isn’t bad. I never sold it because I never had any idea of it’s value and didn’t want to rip anyone off or be ripped off.
      I’ve never met anyone else that has one.

Anonymous

I have a Maya ecoustic guitar model FK-338-D and i have had it since 1983 and i wanted to know if this is a good guitar or what. it has a humingbird on the pick guard like a gibson but i am finding the tuning keys are just about worn out. does anyone know if this is a good guitar. i like it but i have no sense of what its worth. maybe someone out there knows. thankyou all in advance

Anonymous
      Anonymous

Very brief addition to last comment!!.Can’t attest to the veracity of this one,but I did hear once from a UK music shop owner that Stentor had had a falling out with Maya’s makers along the lines of ‘you assured us that no other products from yourselves would enter the UK market[presumably under a different name?]and,in our view,you’ve reneged on the deal’.I feel that the 25.5” scale Maya N45J Artist[with a fair degree of solid wood in its construction and thus putting it somewhere near the top of the Maya range]will always resemble[playing characteristics-wise]the US Epiphone/Gibson/Martin/Guild square-shouldered dreadnoughts and the super jumbos that all share its scale length.To me all of these exhibit a tauter stiffer feel when played[with technically more volume]than the looser noticeably more resonant[IMO]24.75”scale round-shouldered Gibsons.

Anonymous

Hi Kevin and all the best rehabilitating the Maya.I think Tahara’s company[did work for Rokkoman way back when?]are the craftsmen responsible for my[admittedly stiff but may loosen up in time]Gretsch 400 non-cutaway.In the dream world of ‘what if’,the N45J should have been kitted out with a Brazilian rosewood reverse-belly bridge instead of the Indian rosewood variety.With its slightly deficient bass the juan I bought never got a true folk clubbin’,and thus remained[and has still remained,I think,in my youngest nephew’s hands]absolutely pristine from top abalone ‘Maya’ overlay?to[afterthought]endblock-mounted nickel finish Schaller straplock button.Parting with it[but keeping it in the family],I never got the chance to acquaint it with newer string options like Elixir.Mine responded far better however ‘back in the day’ to Guild Phosphor Bronze Lights than D’Addario J16s[which for some reason really seemed to sell it short tone-wise].A luthier who inspected it quipped that he thought that the builder guy must have been under pain of death if he didn’t leave sufficient wood to ensure it remained borderline brick outhouse!.I mentioned US luthiers that I’d read about in eg Pickin’ magazine who though nothing of stripping the binding off F5 mandos,carefully sawing the tops off,reprofiling/removing ‘meat’ from top braces,and expertly refitting the tops/binding.Yesteryear’s sound improvements for bass-deficient acoustic guitars consisted of,with some artisans,finding the middle of the bass top-brace and cutting a 0.25” notch in it.According to these fellers,doing that had the same effect as scalloping braces,and turned the top-brace going down from the bridge to level with the tailblock into two separate vibrating areas.I asked the aforementioned luthier if he’d be prepared to try this on a guitar he seemed to feel respect for,and he intimated that he would[with some improvement in the clarity of the bass E string].

Anonymous

Saw a nice acoustic guitar with a price tag of £145 which seemed to be sticking sales-wise in Norman’s Music Shop Burton-on-Trent 30-odd years ago.I had a chat with an old guy who was looking at the instrument,a Maya N45J,and managed to discover a bit more about it.He,a Stentor rep,had hand-picked the round-shouldered tobacco sunburst mahogany-bodied jumbo for his daughter who then couldn’t get on with steel strings.Norman,the proprietor,agreed to waive his commission and I bought it for £120?.A nice surprise came in the shape of a black tolex-covered hard case with interior(blue)velvety guitar cover.Stentor waxed lyrical about the instrument when I contacted them,saying that it was a ’79/early one and especially fine!.They sent a review done by luthier Stephen Delft who,although the jumbo looks akin to a Gibson J45 with an elongated J50 pickguard,thought of it(with its 25.5” scale as opposed to a J45’s 24.75”)as the ghost of the long-lost(USA)Kalamazoo-built Epiphone Texan.Sound-wise re the top five strings one could close one’s eyes and imagine one was listening to Phil Ochs’ Gibson with a lovely rich bell-like chime up to and including the fretboard’s dusty area.The bottom E(guitar overbuilt?)was a bit muffled/deficient,so I got a decent luthier to carve a notch halfway along the bass-brace(which seemed to help a little).My ex-wife had the guitar for several years though the neck was a tad clubby and her hands were small.After an acrimonious parting she thankfully(phew!)agreed to accept a 70’s batbridge Gibson J200 in lieu of the Maya.Once my youngest nephew saw the perfect finish on its solid spruce top(solid sides?/bent laminated back)and understated refined nickel plating on the all-metal tuners(like Grovers but with Gibson-style tulip buttons),he needed no persuasion to make it a centrepiece of his collection.As Gibson(unlike the UK distributors)were gracious re the replacement of a faulty moustache-bridge J200 at the time,I gave my nephew the guitar.All of his previous talk about wanting the ‘King of the Flattops’ ceased completely to be replaced by a continuing respect for the ‘Killer from Kobe’.

Anonymous

I too ventured past Norman’s of Burton-on-Trent in 1976 whilst looking fora fan belt for my Beetle. Saw the N45J in the window and sat don to play. At the time, I was heavily into John Renbourn, but always muffed the odd note here or there. Not on the Maya. I started through John’s first album pretty well note perfect and soon had a small crowd of admirers. The list price was £232 (a tad more than a J45 ad around a month’s earnings at the time), but after three hours and not being able to put this faultless gem down, I think I beat them down to just a tad over £200. I played this guitar around the folk clubs for around 25 years, but needed an electro acoustic-acoustic, so bought a crafter D9 for pub work and a Martin 0001 for jamming. Some newer J45s I’ve tried, once played in, probably have a slight edge over it, but in its day, it beat allcomers into a cocked hat and is still my favourite guitar. Would never part with it and the earlier post reminded me to get it out of the wardrobe. Still lovely to play after 36 years, but I do need to restring it.Serial number is 19770709. I believe it may have been built by Ryohei Tahara, the famous Japanese luthier.

Anonymous

I purchased mine about 20 years ago but for the last 10 years it has sat in it’s case (basically I’m a bass player but have other instruments). A little while ago, I pulled it out the case to have a strum around and thought what a lovely tone it had and how well-built it was. Just out of interest I thought I’d try to find out more about Maya guitars, and within half an hour on the web I came across your article. When I saw the serial number of your instrument and because the numbers are some of my favourite numbers, in the back of my mind I thought that my serial number was similar so went and checked and low and behold it’s the same serial number as yours 19770709. Maybe this isn’t the serial number but perhaps a batch number or did someone forget to move the number forward on the counter/dial! Any thoughts? I’m now even more curious about the guitars than I was before!

Anonymous

I owned one of these. Bought in 1984 for about £200. I had to sell it in about 1990 due to new family etc.. Biggest mistake ever.. If you or anyone out there want to sell please let me know.. I’ve been searching to replace this for about 15 years..

Anonymous

Get some info here.I tried and dug really hard, including obvious bothering of certain people, to put those up there.
      hope you find some of it valuable. Enjoy Maya!

http://www.ibanezcollectors.com/forum/index.php/topic,20346.0.html

http://torchsvintageguitarresearchblog.blogspot.com/2011/07/maya-guitar-mystery.html

Anonymous

I have a Maya model F7460S that I picked up at a pawn shop in Idaho in 1976. It has good sound, but I would like to find out more about the history of it. It appears than nobody can find the history. : Hi. : Does anyone have any information on Maya Guitars. What I know so far is they were/are a Japanese maker and were apparently based in Kobe from the early 70’s until the earthquake in the 90’s. They made high-quality knock-offs of major brand instruments in the lates 70’s and 80’s at least as good as the Ibanez Lawsuit models of the same era. Not quite up to Gibson yet, but learning fast. : I have a really nice copy of a late 70’s early 80’s Gibson ES 175. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Email me if you want to see pictures.

Anonymous

I own a Maya Artist model 12-string guitar, Model Number F7485. It was purchased new in 1991. I would accept any reasonable offer to buy it. Pictures available by email. : Hi. : Does anyone have any information on Maya Guitars. What I know so far is they were/are a Japanese maker and were apparently based in Kobe from the early 70’s until the earthquake in the 90’s. They made high-quality knock-offs of major brand instruments in the lates 70’s and 80’s at least as good as the Ibanez Lawsuit models of the same era. Not quite up to Gibson yet, but learning fast. : I have a really nice copy of a late 70’s early 80’s Gibson ES 175. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Email me if you want to see pictures.

Anonymous

Hi, for 20 minutes up to now spended in internet in a search for any information I found only forum posts about Maya guitars. I own Maya SG replicant made in the ’70s I think. I have this by all means Japanese masterpiece since 1999 and I wonder how I had never made any search about it ’till now. But you know "The truth is out there" 🙂

Anonymous

: Hi, for 20 minutes up to now spended in internet in a search for any information I found only forum posts about Maya guitars. I own Maya SG replicant made in the ’70s I think. I have this by all means Japanese masterpiece since 1999 and I wonder how I had never made any search about it ’till now. But you know "The truth is out there" 🙂

Anonymous

I found a Maya sg on a buy n sell for $100, thought it would make a great starter guitar for my kid. It wasn’t until I thought about selling it where decided to research it and found this forum. I can’t find a single serial number or identifier other the the Maya name on the headstock. It’s in Immaculate condition and with a beautiful guitar case. Maybe I’ll get lucky and make something on eBay.

Anonymous

through a lot of research I’ve found that I own a MAYA 335 semi acoustic guitar. I bought this guitar about 23 years ago in Germany. It’s a copy of the gibson es 335 I’m looking for help in trying to find the value :

Anonymous

: Hi. I also would like to know some information about maya, particularly their value. I own a Telecaster copy : Does anyone have any information on Maya Guitars. What I know so far is they were/are a Japanese maker and were apparently based in Kobe from the early 70’s until the earthquake in the 90’s. They made high-quality knock-offs of major brand instruments in the lates 70’s and 80’s at least as good as the Ibanez Lawsuit models of the same era. Not quite up to Gibson yet, but learning fast. : I have a really nice copy of a late 70’s early 80’s Gibson ES 175. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Email me if you want to see pictures.

Anonymous

I own a Telecaster copy… a great guitar no doubt.. my father found it here in Bogotá, in 1999, and like the most of you, I couldn´t find any info about the Maya company.. I´m very curious about it because the luthiers that had seen it told me that it is an excelent guitar and a collection piece… any info would be appreciated, and pics of your guitars too.. (sorry about my bad english)

Anonymous

Hi everyboy! I have a Maya JazzBass-copy, it is very beautiful and has good sound. if somebody wants to see some pics about this, write me. Did you find a serial number on your guitars? I’ve searched, but I didnt find any…

Anonymous

Hi everyboy! I think Maya was a part of Ibanez, which sold their guitars under Maya’s name after Lawsuit (Gibson). I own a Maya, copy of a Gibson L6S (exactly the same as Ibanez pre-lawsuit copies). All made with Mapple, the PU’s were out of order, so, I replace them with Red Rocks humbuckers and a Shalter Varitone : Great sound, thin body, fantastic Neck. Sorry for my bad english, I’m French. Greetings.

Anonymous

My grandfather gave me one of his numerous guitars and it is a Maya F385. Weird thing is , is that it’s a twelve string acoustic. Sorry if I sound dumb, I’m new with the whole guitar thing. I don’t know where my grandpa got it. I know it was my mom’s when she was a kid, so he must have picked it up in the mid-70’s. I really enjoy it although I am just learning how to play. Just thought I tell you all that.

Anonymous

yea, I just bought a MAYA jazz bass copy, but I don’t know a damn thing about the CO. either! it has a decal that resembles the "aspen" brand name on it, maybe another house name? a decent copy for sure!

Anonymous

I have a Maya 335 copy that I bought new around 1981. It is fantastic and I bought in preference for a 2nd hand Gibson 335 which seemed to be made of plywood in comparison. I think the price new was about £260 (case extra. Duff decision investment-wise, but still one I would take today. I have an original brochure. The reason I am posting this today is that I have been looking for Maya ES175 for a number of years and have just found one. I will be collecting it on Sunday. Since buying the 335 over 20 years ago I have acquired a number of guitars, including real S400, L5 and J200 Gibsons. So I suppose I could have bought a Gibson 175 but I always wanted the Maya. It will be interesting to compare the quality of the new Maya with those. Maya guitars were marketed in the UK by Stentor. It looks as if they market Ozark guitars – could Maya have changed its name?

Anonymous

: Maya guitars were marketed in the UK by Stentor. It looks as if they market Ozark guitars – could Maya have changed its name? I have the information that Maya is now Asturias. Look here: http://www.casabenelly.nl/default_en.htm

Anonymous

I have two Maya accoustic guitars that I bought new in Vancouver, Canada around the late 70’s. One is a "spanish" style C132s and the other is a"C&W" style MF50r both beautifully made and they both sound great. I too would like to find out more about the Company that produced them as it would be a shame if its no longer in business Regards Mike

Anonymous

: I have a Maya F-335 acoustic guitar presented to me as a gift by my mom in 1976. This is the same guitar i used during my professinal career as a folksinger. In 1980’s John Denver had a concert here in Manila, Philippines. He was guesting as a judge in the popular tv program "Eat Bulaga" where he was requested to sing a song. Fortunately, he requested to borrow my Maya F-335 since i am one of the partipants competing and i am very proud to lend him and he sings. Until now the memory lives on! please email me if you want to see my Maya. ThanKs a lot

Anonymous

I would love to see some pics of your guitar , I have a maya f350 hummingbird knockoff 1972 and it plays like butter. It’s one of my favorite guitars and I on.y paid $125 for it. It has rosewood back and just sounds awesome. If I ever come across another maya , I don’t care what it is , I’m buying it.

Anonymous

Dear All Friend:

If you want to see MY Maya F335, Please email your full name and address and nationality. I can sent you some nice photos of this acoustic guitars, Thank you,

Regards,

Dean

Anonymous

Hi, I realise this is a really old post…but I have a Maya f335 and it needs some work to make it playable, I’d love to see some photos of yours which would certainly help me restore it. I bought it from the original owner who bought it in the 1970s. best wishes Joe

Anonymous

PLACED YOUR BID!!!

Anonymous

: : I have a Maya F-335 acoustic guitar presented to me as a gift by my mom in 1976. This is the same guitar i used during my professinal career as a folksinger. : In 1980’s John Denver had a concert here in Manila, Philippines. He was guesting as a judge in the popular tv program "Eat Bulaga" where he was requested to sing a song. Fortunately, he requested to borrow my Maya F-335 since i am one of the partipants competing and i am very proud to lend him and he sings. : Until now the memory lives on! please email me if you want to see my Maya. ThanKs a lot — i would like to see it and i would like to know if they have a website, because i searched and i couldn’t find it.

Anonymous

hi, i’m from chile, and i’m about to buy a ibanez es 175 copy, could you send me some pictures of yours please?, this way i may get a better idea from what i ‘ m getting . SOME COMMENTS PURHAPS WOULD BE HELPFULL. BYE AND THANKS. : Hi. : Does anyone have any information on Maya Guitars. What I know so far is they were/are a Japanese maker and were apparently based in Kobe from the early 70’s until the earthquake in the 90’s. They made high-quality knock-offs of major brand instruments in the lates 70’s and 80’s at least as good as the Ibanez Lawsuit models of the same era. Not quite up to Gibson yet, but learning fast. : I have a really nice copy of a late 70’s early 80’s Gibson ES 175. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Email me if you want to see pictures.

Anonymous

: Hi. i have read your messages,, after a very long searches about MAYA ARTIST GUITAR. Your description of the Guitar is the same by me, bat the Mecahanik is not from Schaller. The only different is the machanik. I think my Guitar is equipmend with Noname Produkt. In the body you can read a Label with follwing Text: "We made this guitar for the people who love guitar music. F344R Japan" I purchased my Insrtument on a musik street market in 1999 and payed 250,- DM = 125 Euro. It sounds very well and looks (abilone Inlays) very nice. I’m playing Jazz and Boss Nova on the Instrument. I never found samthing about MAYA GUITAR FACTORYS in the Internet. Maybe you can help me? I whish you every time very nice cords and scales. I’m sorry for my broken-english. Regard Wolfgang from Berlin, Germany see more by: http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data4/Maya/Artist-Acoustic-01.html

Anonymous

Hallo Wolfgang,
        auf der Suche nach der Herkunft meiner Maya habe ich deine Notiz gefunden. Ich habe das Modell F 7450S. Hast Du die Gitarre noch? Bilder?
        Gruß aus Laboe
        Gunter

Anonymous

I have a Maya fretless bass which i purchased 2nd hand for £80 when i was 17yrs old back in the early 80’s.I have had it now for over 20yrs now and the quality has not faded one bit.I still play in various bands and has given me much enjoyment playing it with its very low and fast, but very smooth action.

Anonymous

I’ll inlcude my comments since I also own a Maya and would like to find out something about it myself. I own a Strat copy that I bought about 18-19 years ago. I was taking a guitar class at night at our local jr. college. We had this guy in our 3 person (4 counting the teacher) class playing this guitar. A few months later I found that exact guitar in our local music store and I bought it. To go through the entire history of my Maya would take too long. But it’s gone from a typical Fender Strat setup, 3 single coils and a 5 way; to a 3 humbucker (1 Dimarzio, 1 Seymour JB, 1 Seymour JB Jr) with the two Seymours split with one volume knob and two tone knobs that can be pulled out to split the Seymours. I wanted the Dimarzio to be able to be split, but it wasn’t capable of being so. Some day when money isn’t a factor, I’m going to have the Dimarzio taken out and something else put in that can be split so I can have a close equivilant of a 3 single coil setup. I’ve changed everything on my Maya except the body, neck and the neck plate on the back. Other than that it’s mostly been a good guitar. I say mostly because back in the mid 80’s I had the Fender style tremlo it came with switched out for a cheap Kahler. If I had spent the extra money and got a higher $$$ Kahler, it might have been alright, but I didn’t. My intonnation has been out since the day that Kahler was put it and there seems to be no way to fix it. The body had to be bored to put the Kahler in, so it’s not like I can switch it out with a simpler tremlo system. Given my "druthers", I’d like to have a stop piece put in. One thing I’ve noticed about my Maya Strat is that it weighs about a TON more than a Fender Strat. I wish I knew what kind of wood it was made of. I’d like to wish it was mahogany, but I could’t be that lucky. I’m sure I’ll have another guitar someday, but I see no reason to part with the Maya. I might give it to a nephew someday, but I don’t think I’ll ever sell it. I paid around 150-175.00 for it and I’ve put about 700-750.00 in it. The man who owns the music store I trade with (and did the work on the Maya) says it’s "the best playing guitar you’ve never heard of". 😉

Anonymous

I have a Strat copy that holds up very well. I got it brand new in Saudi Arabia of all places in 1980, and it still plays well. It buzzes a bit more, but plan to get that fixed soon. For more info on Maya, check out http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data4/El-Maya/Various-01.html

Anonymous

: Hi. : Does anyone have any information on Maya Guitars. What I know so far is they were/are a Japanese maker and were apparently based in Kobe from the early 70’s until the earthquake in the 90’s. They made high-quality knock-offs of major brand instruments in the lates 70’s and 80’s at least as good as the Ibanez Lawsuit models of the same era. Not quite up to Gibson yet, but learning fast. : I have a really nice copy of a late 70’s early 80’s Gibson ES 175. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Email me if you want to see pictures.

Anonymous

: : Hi. : : Does anyone have any information on Maya Guitars. What I know so far is they were/are a Japanese maker and were apparently based in Kobe from the early 70’s until the earthquake in the 90’s. They made high-quality knock-offs of major brand instruments in the lates 70’s and 80’s at least as good as the Ibanez Lawsuit models of the same era. Not quite up to Gibson yet, but learning fast. : : I have a really nice copy of a late 70’s early 80’s Gibson ES 175. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Email me if you want to see pictures. : I have a copy of a hofner 500/1 Beatlebass. unforttunatly I don’t know anything about it history but it plays very well.

Anonymous

HI,
          I HAVE A GOLD TOP GIBSON COPY MAYA ELECTRIC GUITAR, DON’T KNOW MUCH ABOUT IT, BUT I THINK IT WAS MADE IN 1960 ! WOULD LOVE TO KNOW WHAT IT IS WORTH.
          THANKS
          RICK

Anonymous

HI,
          I HAVE A GOLD TOP GIBSON COPY MAYA ELECTRIC GUITAR, DON’T KNOW MUCH ABOUT IT, BUT I THINK IT WAS MADE IN 1960 ! WOULD LOVE TO KNOW WHAT IT IS WORTH.
          THANKS
          RICK

Anonymous

I bought my Les Paul Custom El Maya about 30 years ago and wouldnt change it for anything . The action and sound only get better with age. I recently played a Gibson and probably because mine is so old didnt like it any where as much the sound was harder and the action not as easy!

Anonymous

: Hi. : Does anyone have any information on Maya Guitars. What I know so far is they were/are a Japanese maker and were apparently based in Kobe from the early 70’s until the earthquake in the 90’s. They made high-quality knock-offs of major brand instruments in the lates 70’s and 80’s at least as good as the Ibanez Lawsuit models of the same era. Not quite up to Gibson yet, but learning fast. : I have a really nice copy of a late 70’s early 80’s Gibson ES 175. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Email me if you want to see pictures. yep Id love to see pictures and I believe maya was made by ibanez not sure whether before or after lawsuit

Anonymous

I was just GIVEN a Maya Flying-V (White). I have never heard of these guitars and have enjoyed trying too find out info on the Maya brand. Like I said I have just been given this guitar, I’m still at work and can’t wait to try it out tonight at band practice. Anyone know how much something like this may be worth? It’s mint, original strings, case, and receipt from Khobar, Saudi Arabia where the his father-in-law paid 60 SR or US (don’t know). He only plugged it in once! Any info would be appreciated Thanks Giorgio : : Hi. : : Does anyone have any information on Maya Guitars. What I know so far is they were/are a Japanese maker and were apparently based in Kobe from the early 70’s until the earthquake in the 90’s. They made high-quality knock-offs of major brand instruments in the lates 70’s and 80’s at least as good as the Ibanez Lawsuit models of the same era. Not quite up to Gibson yet, but learning fast. : : I have a really nice copy of a late 70’s early 80’s Gibson ES 175. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Email me if you want to see pictures. : yep Id love to see pictures and I believe maya was made by ibanez not sure whether before or after lawsuit

Anonymous

Giorgio, I have an acoustic Maya that my parents bought for me as a teenager when we were living in Saudi Arabia. We lived in Jubayl but the guitar might have come from a music store in Al-Khobar. I have other guitars and I rarely play the Maya; I was about to give it to my brother when I decided to search for info on the brand. Think I’ll hang on to it and keep researching.

Anonymous

: I was just GIVEN a Maya Flying-V (White). I have never heard of these guitars and have enjoyed trying too find out info on the Maya brand. Like I said I have just been given this guitar, I’m still at work and can’t wait to try it out tonight at band practice. : Anyone know how much something like this may be worth? It’s mint, original strings, case, and receipt from Khobar, Saudi Arabia where the his father-in-law paid 60 SR or US (don’t know). He only plugged it in once! : Any info would be appreciated : Thanks : Giorgio I was been given a Les Paul Standard copy yesterday, and I have been working on this piece part of the night (yes, I’m very much tired). I will go to the luthier this afternoon, to check how the guitar is. This piece has been about 20 years stored in its case. I will post the luthier opinion. What about build a Maya Guitars web page? It could be a good stuff. I can to do it with a bit of time, but I will need photos of your guitars, setups, opinions, modifications, etc.

Anonymous

Just as You I was been given a Maya guitar and this three weeks ago. I have no idea what’s it worth and what kind of type it is. And I can’t find anything. Not on the guitar, not on the internet. I really hope there is some one out there who has some new information about this Maya Guitars.. Greetz Elio, Belgium

Anonymous

About 15 yrs ago I bought a real nice and well built japanese guitar. The label says MAYA Artist Model No. C7426 Japan. I don’t know anything about this manufacturer and would appreciate any info out there… the guitar is as good as new and sounds better as it ages.

Anonymous

: I bought a Maya Artist guitar about 25 years ago. A beuatifully made copy of a Martin D45. All strutting and materials are to Martin specification. The guitar continues to improve in sound quality and is far superior to play than many equivalents: Takamine, Ibanez etc.

Viewing 52 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.