Home Forums Discussion Popular Topics dummy coil in series or parallel

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

I wonder if it will make a change if I connect the dummy coil in my Gibson Nighthawk in parallel with the P 90-soupbars instead of the original setting, which is in series? The point is I don’t like the series setting in the middle position with both pick ups on and think of changing the whole setting to parallel.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

well you will get a noticeable decrease in output. and a much clearer Singlecoil like tone.

Anonymous

The original configuration is two P-90’s and a noise cancelling dummy coil without magnets in the middle wich is used in series when only one pick up is selected. The middle position of the pick up selector is just the two normal P-90’s in series. Will I loose output in the one P-90 + dummy-coil postions if I connect them in parallel?

Anonymous

I would add a switch to select between series/parallel, I find the ability to switch between series and parallel wiring is one of the most tonally useful modifications you can make… much more useful than pickup phasing, in most cases (though combining series and out-of-phase wiring produces very interesting results in some cases). : I wonder if it will make a change if I connect the dummy coil in my Gibson Nighthawk in parallel with the P 90-soupbars instead of the original setting, which is in series? The point is I don’t like the series setting in the middle position with both pick ups on and think of changing the whole setting to parallel.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.