Homepage Forums Discussion Popular Topics Adding 3rd strap button to RIC bass–help!

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

I am pondering about putting a third strap button onto my 4003 Rickenbacker Bass where the neck meets the body. Many arch-top electric guitars have their strap button here and I’m used to them in that position. I’ve also seen photos of Lemmy from Motorhead where he’s done this to his RIC bass. Rickenbacker has the double truss rod, and I’m a little worried about where I should drill the hole. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks!

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

: I am pondering about putting a third strap button onto my 4003 Rickenbacker Bass where the neck meets the body. Many arch-top electric guitars have their strap button here and I’m used to them in that position. I’ve also seen photos of Lemmy from Motorhead where he’s done this to his RIC bass. Rickenbacker has the double truss rod, and I’m a little worried about where I should drill the hole. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks! Hi, I’m not familiar with Bass’s but it sounds like you want to place the strap in the same location that many acoustics have them; which would be half way down the heel of the neck where it meets the body, this will effective "pull" the guitar more inwards to your body. Dan Erlewine from StewMac has a great Acoustic repair video that explains in detail how to do this. I have this video but haven’t watched it in quite some time. It’s a very simple process, the only real problem is if that portion of the neck heel is curved like all acoustic are, then you just need to be a little more careful drilling the hole and you would have to get a curved strap button. Just be sure to "ALWAYS" start your hole with the drill in reverse to it will center correctly and slide all over the place on you. The second thing is to "ALWAYS" start with smaller bits and work your way up to the size hole needed, remembering to "ALWAYS" start the newer sized bit with the drill in REVERSE. Hope this helps.

Anonymous

My typing is horendous today, here is a corrected portion of my post. Just be sure to "ALWAYS" start your hole with the drill in reverse SO it will center correctly and NOT slide all over the place on you.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.