Homepage Forums Discussion Popular Topics Harmony H75 Semi-accoustic Electric Guitar

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

Anybody out there can help with genuine info?
    I have a Guitar that appears to be an original Harmony Electric Semmi Accoustic in mint condition Had it for about30years,but need some info. I know from the internal stamp and markings the Model no H11-H75 made in Chicago. It would be helpful to know the Quality of the instrument, the age,approximate value and any genuine comments that enthusiates with knowledge of the guitar may have. It would be even nicer if I knew as much history, designer etc.as possible. Was this an early Rock guitar or was it a general purpose Band instrument. I just gotta find out it’s driving me mad not knowing.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

I also have a Harmony H75 like the one you mentioned. It’s kind of a family heirloom, but I can tell you a lot of pretty nice to know information about it. The design was released in 1964. DeArmond originally made the pickups for it and it came with a solid tail bridge and a tortoise shell pickguard. The model was discontinued in 1975. Basically, you’ve got a guitar which is at least 29 years old. They have great playability and sound great for any style of music. The H-75 was pretty much a general purpose instrument, and a pretty darn good one at that. Let me put it this way; when the guitar came out, Gibson actually had to re-vamp the ES-335 to match the quality of the H-75. To really hear one come alive, try it through a decent sized tube amp. Mind the feedback though; that is the only disadvantage I’ve found with them. The older circuitry and the hollow body combine to produce some potetially nasty feedback. I hope all this was helpful. Sean

Anonymous

: Anybody out there can help spares? : I have an H75 (Serial No 853 so I assume a relatively early one – can anyone date it from this?) Its a great guitar and is still alive and kicking but now somewhat battered and bruised! I’d like to get it refurbished at some point – it’s been refretted but bridge needs replacing, chrome is flaking off pickups etc and needs generally tidying up. Anyone know of a good source of spares or can offer any advice on trying to refurb?

Anonymous

Hi, I used to have one of these about 40 years ago and I bought in 2nd hand then! Re quality, it was not in the ranks of Gibson but more a quality budget instrument. It was sold I believe via mail order as well ( Sears & Roebuck I think).It is documented in a book called American guitars. I saw one about 2 years ago, advertised for £250. I did phone but it was gone. I played mine in a blues band and it is capable of very Gretsch-like sounds due to those georgeous pickups. I still keep an eye open for a good one and if you ever wanted to part with it email me. : Anybody out there can help with genuine info? : I have a Guitar that appears to be an original Harmony Electric Semmi Accoustic in mint condition Had it for about30years,but need some info. I know from the internal stamp and markings the Model no H11-H75 made in Chicago. It would be helpful to know the Quality of the instrument, the age,approximate value and any genuine comments that enthusiates with knowledge of the guitar may have. It would be even nicer if I knew as much history, designer etc.as possible. Was this an early Rock guitar or was it a general purpose Band instrument. I just gotta find out it’s driving me mad not knowing.

Anonymous

: Hi, I used to have one of these about 40 years ago and I bought in 2nd hand then! Re quality, it was not in the ranks of Gibson but more a quality budget instrument. It was sold I believe via mail order as well ( Sears & Roebuck I think).It is documented in a book called American guitars. I saw one about 2 years ago, advertised for £250. I did phone but it was gone. I played mine in a blues band and it is capable of very Gretsch-like sounds due to those georgeous pickups. I still keep an eye open for a good one and if you ever wanted to part with it email me. : : Anybody out there can help with genuine info? : : I have a Guitar that appears to be an original Harmony Electric Semmi Accoustic in mint condition Had it for about30years,but need some info. I know from the internal stamp and markings the Model no H11-H75 made in Chicago. It would be helpful to know the Quality of the instrument, the age,approximate value and any genuine comments that enthusiates with knowledge of the guitar may have. It would be even nicer if I knew as much history, designer etc.as possible. Was this an early Rock guitar or was it a general purpose Band instrument. I just gotta find out it’s driving me mad not knowing. The date your H75 was made should be stamped on the inside of your guitar, and can be viewed through the "F" Hole, as "H65", if it was made in 1965, as mine. Yes, they are a nice looking, and sounding guitar, but not a Gibson. They were one of the better models of guitar made by Harmony, and I believe they were only made between 1960 and 1970. I enjoy playing mine at home, and I would not take it to a gig, as it appears very fragile, and after surviving almost 40 years, it’s not worth me taking any chances with it. Also, depending on it’s condition, my guess it is worth between $200 to $500, with OHSC. Collectors may pay more if it is in excellent condition.

Anonymous

: : Hi, I used to have one of these about 40 years ago and I bought in 2nd hand then! Re quality, it was not in the ranks of Gibson but more a quality budget instrument. It was sold I believe via mail order as well ( Sears & Roebuck I think).It is documented in a book called American guitars. I saw one about 2 years ago, advertised for £250. I did phone but it was gone. I played mine in a blues band and it is capable of very Gretsch-like sounds due to those georgeous pickups. I still keep an eye open for a good one and if you ever wanted to part with it email me. Regarding the H 75, after owning variuos Gibsons, Guild and Fender guitars over the last 40 years I’ve just bought a Harmony h75 in mint condition and it’s cost £500, but I’ve always wanted one so I’m happy with that price. Good ones are hard to find in England so it will always be collectable and as I play 60’s pop, the 3 dearmond pickups really are "retro" sounding. As I am now broke – I will have to sell my 1976 Fender Strat – or my 1976 Gibson 325 or my 1973 Traynor valve combo. Jerry. E mail. [email protected]

Anonymous

: : : Hi, I used to have one of these about 40 years ago and I bought in 2nd hand then! Re quality, it was not in the ranks of Gibson but more a quality budget instrument. It was sold I believe via mail order as well ( Sears & Roebuck I think).It is documented in a book called American guitars. I saw one about 2 years ago, advertised for £250. I did phone but it was gone. I played mine in a blues band and it is capable of very Gretsch-like sounds due to those georgeous pickups. I still keep an eye open for a good one and if you ever wanted to part with it email me. Your Harmony H75 is a fantastic collectable guitar and is now worth about £600. I have one, cerca 1965, mint condition with the original case. As I’m always looking for other classy guitars/ swapping etc: I might be persuaded to swap my Harmony for another nice guitar, be it solid, semi or a jumbo. My E mail is [email protected] I live in the West Midlands about 15 miles north of B’ham. Nearest motorway junction is M6 junction 12.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.