Homepage Forums Discussion Popular Topics Info on Kay Strat copy

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

I’m looking for info on my Kay strat copy…it’s finished in natural ash with a black scratchboard…I bought it from Kays catalogue (would you believe!) in 1975…I’ve never seen another Kay guitar apart from the occasional article in mags…can anyone shed some light on the history…my model no. is K-32

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

These are very well built instruments dating from the early 70s. Body I think is solid ash and very heavy. The pickups have much bigger magnets that those normally seen on Strat copies. Please don’t confuse with the mass produced Kay “tulip” models often seen on Ebay for around £150, the K-32 is a serious instrument that will now be very collectible.

Great neck, 41.5mm approx at the nut. Very much D-profile, but very playable. The fretboard lacquer on my one is still pretty much perfect, after close to 40 years.

If you have one of these in reasonable order, I’d hold on to it. They can make £200/300 now, but will increase in value.

Anonymous

: I’m looking for info on my Kay strat copy…it’s finished in natural ash with a black scratchboard…I bought it from Kays catalogue (would you believe!) in 1975…I’ve never seen another Kay guitar apart from the occasional article in mags…can anyone shed some light on the history…my model no. is K-32 : I also have the same guitar bought around the same time from a catalogue company. It is made in Taiwan I think and not made by the original guitar company which changed hands several times. I dont think it worth much.

Anonymous

: : I’m looking for info on my Kay strat copy…it’s finished in natural ash with a black scratchboard…I bought it from Kays catalogue (would you believe!) in 1975…I’ve never seen another Kay guitar apart from the occasional article in mags…can anyone shed some light on the history…my model no. is K-32 : : I also have the same guitar bought around the same time from a catalogue company. : It is made in Taiwan I think and not made by the original guitar company which changed hands several times. I dont think it worth much. Thanks for info Derek…have located one other owner looking for valuation…perhaps this rare guitar may have some value one day!

Anonymous

: : : I’m looking for info on my Kay strat copy…it’s finished in natural ash with a black scratchboard…I bought it from Kays catalogue (would you believe!) in 1975…I’ve never seen another Kay guitar apart from the occasional article in mags…can anyone shed some light on the history…my model no. is K-32 : : : I also have the same guitar bought around the same time from a catalogue company. : : It is made in Taiwan I think and not made by the original guitar company which changed hands several times. I dont think it worth much. : Thanks for info Derek…have located one other owner looking for valuation…perhaps this rare guitar may have some value one day! : Hello, I’m from Germany! I bought the "K-32" a few days ago! Do you have more informations? How much the guitar costs in 1975?

Anonymous

: : : I’m looking for info on my Kay strat copy…it’s finished in natural ash with a black scratchboard…I bought it from Kays catalogue (would you believe!) in 1975…I’ve never seen another Kay guitar apart from the occasional article in mags…can anyone shed some light on the history…my model no. is K-32 : : : I also have the same guitar bought around the same time from a catalogue company. : : It is made in Taiwan I think and not made by the original guitar company which changed hands several times. I dont think it worth much. : Thanks for info Derek…have located one other owner looking for valuation…perhaps this rare guitar may have some value one day! :::I too have a k-32, i’d love to know more about it if anyone has any info let me know…Pete

Anonymous

I purchased a K32 strat copy from a music store in ’78 or ’79. Beleive it is Japanese made. If memory serves correctly, price was around $180.00. Just gave it to my 12 year old son.

Anonymous

I have one of these aswell.. seems there’s a few of us tryign to find information about them right now! 🙂 as far as I was aware, it’s a japanease guitar (check the backs of your pickups – mine’re stamped ‘Japan’). However, there’s no name on the headstock of mine.. I believe the name was originally on the truss-rod cover? Anybody got any information, pelase email me!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.