Homepage Forums Discussion Popular Topics crate GX-600H a mystery head!

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

I own a Crate GX-600 head that I bought used some time ago, and it has occured to me that I have never heard of or seen another one anywhere, ever.

I have a problem with the volume knob, once I turn it passed level 3 the volume never goes up anymore, it gets loud, but not loud enough. It has always been this way, I just recently decided to figure out why. Crate has no information on this head, neither does any place on the internet…? If you have any ideas for a fix. please let me know, thanks.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

The reason the amp only “gets louder” from 0 to 3 or 4 is a marketing ploy….. The amp manufacturer probably put in a linear taper pot. For volume, it is supposed to be an audio taper. Human hearing differentiates volume changes logrythmically, not linearly. The reason amp makers do this is for the kid in the music store that turns it up and it is blaringly loud at 3 – 4, the kid then thinks I dare not try this amp at ten in the store, but if 3 – 4 is this loud imagine what 10 will be like. Then the buy it and the disappointment starts…. If you want a nice linear sounding volume knob, change the pot from a linear taper to a log or audio taper.

Anonymous

: I own a Crate GX-600 head that I bought used some time ago, and it has occured to me that I have never heard of or seen another one anywhere, ever. : I have a problem with the volume knob, once I turn it passed level 3 the volume never goes up anymore, it gets loud, but not loud enough. It has always been this way, I just recently decided to figure out why. Crate has no information on this head, neither does any place on the internet…? If you have any ideas for a fix. please let me know, thanks. Hi I doubht theres any thing to fix a few ?????? tube amp? watts ? omhs? My mark 1 boogie When i hit four thats it for output it just gets more overdrive/distortion.I find this with all amps i have owned or played threw.Remember to double volume you need 8x the watts output so two get twice the volume out of a 10 watt amp you need 80 they dont tell you that at the local music store. Bob tremontguitars.com great amps to cheak out also graet repair man would be Dan his web site is lustone.com

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.