Homepage Forums Discussion Popular Topics Finding Build Date of Yamaha FG-140

• This topic has 14 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 12 months ago by Anonymous.
  • Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

Hi,

I’m trying to find out what the build date is for a Yamaha FG-140 I recently bought, # T0085566. I called Yamaha, and the voice at the other end told me it was a grey-market guitar, never sold in the US, thus they would not have that info.

Any comments are appreciated!

thanks,

vince

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

1234421 is the only #any where in the gitare red label red label Yamaha fg140

Anonymous

Im having trouble finding year on my fg-140yamaha can u help please

Anonymous

I am compiling a list of vintage Yamaha serial numbers with their internal date codes. The 7 digit serial numbers are sequential, they have nothing to do with when the guitar is made. Inside the guitar, on one of the sides, is a date code in the format xx.xx.xx, the first 2 digits being the year of the SHOWA period, in your case it should be 46, which would be 1971. Any chance you can look inside and find those numbers? You’ll probably have to remove the strings and use a flashlight and your cell phone camera. Getting serial numbers with the matching dates code allows me to tell people when other guitars where made, and also what serial numbers where used in what year.

Anonymous

I recently acquired an FG 140. The only number on this guitar that I can find has 7 digits without any letters…1573975..Red Label..Nippon Gakki..Made in Japan…I’ve looked for this definitive 7 digit group of numbers on-line to no avail…these numbers are on the Heel Block…stamped in blue ink…no other ink found…or stamps..can someone enlighten me as to how to find out the vintage of this guitar..? Thanks..

Anonymous

My FG150 Red Label has a serial number 956337. My best information says it is 1968 or 1969. It has Nippon Gaki on the red label (made in Japan).

Anonymous

The serial number inside my guitar is 979910. Only 6 numbers and no letters in the number. I’ve had this guitar since 1985. I’ve been told my guitar was made sometime in the ’60s. I’d like to know its age.

Anonymous

Hello Vince I bought my FG-140 in 1969 in Glasgow. The number is 1185361. Cost 28.00 pounds sterling. Still plays as good as ever. A friend bought one 2/3 years later but his was notably inferior. : Hi, : I’m trying to find out what the build date is for a Yamaha FG-140 I recently bought, # T0085566. I called Yamaha, and the voice at the other end told me it was a grey-market guitar, never sold in the US, thus they would not have that info. : Any comments are appreciated! : thanks, : vince

Anonymous

The fg 140- was built from 1968-1972 the other fg-140 is with a P fg-140p

Anonymous

Hi Vince I think you may have the wrong number. The TOxxxx numberyou quote is I assume located inside on the heel block. The serial number on an FG 140 is usually on the first brace you see looking through the soundhole towards the neck. It will have 8 numbers. Yamaha actually reuse numbers every 10 years so its up to you if you think its 62 or 72, I have two both dated as 1972 according to the Yamaha american website. http://www.yamaha.com/apps/guitararchives/guitarserial.htm Hope this helps

Anonymous

Yo Vince I bought my FG 140 in Reading, England in 1972

Anonymous

Please describe the headstock on your FG140. Tri tuning fork or YAMAHA name?? at the top.?? : I’m trying to find out what the build date is for a Yamaha FG-140 I recently bought, # T0085566. I called Yamaha, and the voice at the other end told me it was a grey-market guitar, never sold in the US, thus they would not have that info. : Any comments are appreciated! : thanks, : vince

Anonymous

Please describe the headstock on your FG140. Tri tuning fork or YAMAHA name?? at the top.?? : I’m trying to find out what the build date is for a Yamaha FG-140 I recently bought, # T0085566. I called Yamaha, and the voice at the other end told me it was a grey-market guitar, never sold in the US, thus they would not have that info. : Any comments are appreciated! : thanks, : vince

Anonymous

: Hi, : I’m trying to find out what the build date is for a Yamaha FG-140 I recently bought, # T0085566. I called Yamaha, and the voice at the other end told me it was a grey-market guitar, never sold in the US, thus they would not have that info. : Any comments are appreciated! : thanks, : vince I have had a Yamaha FG-140 for some 30 years which places build date around 1972-3. Trust this is of some help.

Anonymous

: : Hi, : : I’m trying to find out what the build date is for a Yamaha FG-140 I recently bought, # T0085566. I called Yamaha, and the voice at the other end told me it was a grey-market guitar, never sold in the US, thus they would not have that info. : : Any comments are appreciated! : : thanks, : : vince : I have had a Yamaha FG-140 for some 30 years which places build date around 1972-3. Trust this is of some help. I recently purchased a FG-140. The guy told me it is a 1952 model. Can this be true? Was Yamaha building guitars then? The headstock has YAMAhA wrote across it and where the nut is theres a metal plate that also says YAMAHA. Thanks, Steven

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.