Homepage Forums Discussion Popular Topics Charvel STX Deluxe guitar

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

I just bought a Charvel (Jackson/Charvel) STX Deluxe. It is what I call a Strat-type hybrid. It is black with rosewood neck, mother of pearl pickguard, Jackson pickups (HB,SC,SC), two tele-chrome knobs, a Gotoh non-locking tremolo system, and what looks like classic Kluson Deluxe tuners with the slotted tops, and the height of the posts are staggered to maintain the correct angle off the (steel roller) nut.
    What can someone tell about this guitar? What year would this guitar have come out? I’ve never seen one before I found this one in a pawn shop. It is Japanese made (assembled?) but the guitar feels and plays great. The neck is perfect, beefy frets, wide and flat neck profile, it stays in tune real good, and I bend the strings A LOT! Are these Jackson pickups wound by Jackson? What are they comparable to? I really like the single coil rythym pickup. It sounds awesome, but the humbucker is so-so. That may just be that I don’t have a decent amp right now too. The body is a one piece, but I have no idea what wood it is. I can see the wood grain all the way from top to bottom in the rear cut-out, and there is no seam anywhere, and there is no veneer overlay. So, all in all I am thrilled with this find so far. I may consider changing out some pickups, but other than that, I love this guitar.
    I am hoping someone with some knowledge of this run of Charvels will write me and help me track down some history.
    Thanks,

DR

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

Hey DR, I can give you a little bit of info on the Charvel STX’s. They were made between 91-94, mostly in japan and are fairly rare. I have not seen 2 built with the same exact specs but they do seem to share common traits: Basswood or (rarer) Alder body, maple neck, rosewood fingerboard, and 3 pickup configuration which I am told are comprable to emg’s. New they sold in the $1200 range. I bought mine new it has the alder body, a phase switch, and khaler double locking tremelo, with a sunburst red finish. Sadly I’ve decided to get rid of mine and have it on ebay you can check some pics of and more specs of it at http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2527777104&category=33044 Again there are not too many out there, every few years I see one on ebay that’s about it.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.