Homepage Forums Discussion Popular Topics Tips for playing live?

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

I was just wondering if any of you guys have any tips for playing live. Soon I will be playin shows and I am pretty excited, but very nervous. What I mean by tips is like tips for helping with stagefright, anything you guys do different on stage thats different from when you practice, stuff like that. Thanks.

Rock on \m/(**)\m/

-Matt

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

hi my name is Aaron and i will be doin my first gig soon, the main song we are doin is ‘tramps vest’ by stereophonics. i am play guitar for this i wanted to know if there are any tips for how i should act on stage and to look good? eg jumping , runnin, like bands do wen they are playing live. thanks Aaron

Anonymous

Matt, I use a Boss in line tuner – it’s a good confidence boost to know that you’ll always be perfetly in tune. You just step on it, your guitar is muted, and the display is easy to see. Also, ahve your gear set up as well as possible (action, intonation, etc). As for being nervous, what you feel is energy – you’re excited, and that’s a good thing! Preparation is the best tool for nerves. There is an inverse relationship between the time you spend preparing, and how nervous you feel playing. Make yourself the most prepared dude in the room, and you’ll never be nervous again!

Anonymous

: : I was just wondering if any of you guys have any tips for playing live. Soon I will be playin shows and I am pretty excited, but very nervous. What I mean by tips is like tips for helping with stagefright, anything you guys do different on stage thats different from when you practice, stuff like that. Thanks. : Rock on \m/(**)\m/ : -Matt Just enjoy it, concentrate mainly on what you are playing. Try to keep things simple, nobody is expecting you to be a rock super star, it is always better to play something simple very well, than play something flash very badly. When you get more confidence playing live then start to drop in the flash stuff. Don’t play anything between songs, like your favourite riff or lick, just because you are nervous. If you do your gig will sound like a jam session. Only play your set, this will sound much more proffesional and will add atmosphere to your gig and the crowd will enjoy this more. Generally only one person in the band should speak to the crowd again this will sound much more proffesional. If you make a mistake just carry on as if nothing has happend, chances are nobody will hear it anyway, what ever you do DON’T STOP AND TRY TO CORRECT IT. Also "smile", nobody wants to look at a face with no expression . This can also be infectious to the crowd, as the old saying goes "smile and the world smiles with you". So just play as well as you can, but most of all enjoy it. All the best with your gigs. Stebzy

Anonymous

I have to say: the more I hear other people talk about also having pre-gig nerves the better I feel. We played our second gig last monday and it was probably the worst I have ever been (on and off stage). I put it down to nerves and alcohol. But tonight’s gig (back at the same place) will hopefully be a little better. I think the best peice of advice we have had so far is "lay off the booze ’till after the show". Thanks all, V V L

Anonymous

: Yeah, main thing is, your playing is all-important. Just because Angus Young (AC/DC)jumps around, you do not want to do it, as folks will say, "look at that idiot trying to act like Angus Young"…… As a guitar instructor for 32 years, I have to bring my young students down to earth many times, when they think imitating what they see on TV etc, is more important than learning their instrument. You can have fun, and enjoy playing, as long as what you do does NOT take away from your musicianship and guitar playing abilities. : I was just wondering if any of you guys have any tips for playing live. Soon I will be playin shows and I am pretty excited, but very nervous. What I mean by tips is like tips for helping with stagefright, anything you guys do different on stage thats different from when you practice, stuff like that. Thanks. : Rock on \m/(**)\m/ : -Matt

Anonymous

Just try to relax and have a good time, you’ll get into it soon enough.Rehearse Rehearse Rehearse all your parts so to minimise mistakes. And dont be afraid of the audience, there really on your side. They are there to have a good time so thats a good start. Be confident (not too confident, not cocky) But if you appear relaxed and confident it will be relayed to them.

Anonymous

I don’t know wtf the other guy said but he’s my tip, since its your first time(or havn’t done it alot), try not to look at the crowd much, or at all.. Focus on playing.. If you have to jump around, make sure your comfortable with the situation and your instrument… The first time i played my bassist was going crazy(jumping up and down and shi#) so i decided to that too(cuz i was so nirvus) and i droped my guitar(the fu#king strap) So just try to play well, its better to sound good than look good

Anonymous

yeahhhhh ii uuhhhh wellllllll yyeahhhh (gesticulates wildly) a goooood fixxxx off thee mann backkstage is alwaayyys grreat. butt itz tha heightt of badd mannnerz to tunrn bloo and pukee on yaself onstaaage. : : I was just wondering if any of you guys have any tips for playing live. Soon I will be playin shows and I am pretty excited, but very nervous. What I mean by tips is like tips for helping with stagefright, anything you guys do different on stage thats different from when you practice, stuff like that. Thanks. : Rock on \m/(**)\m/ : -Matt

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.