Homepage Forums Discussion Popular Topics Need info on the Gibson GGC 700

• This topic has 12 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 10 years ago by Anonymous.
  • Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

Some ten years ago i bought a Gibson GGC 700. I love the guitar but I know nothing about this model. Can anyone give me some information? I kinda looks lika a Les Paul but it isn´t one. Thanx in advance. Sture

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

Mike’s comment of buying it new for $200 doesn’t sound right as the sonex was listed as $300 new and by all accounts this was a better guitar.
      Dave’s account of $400 sounds more accurate. So yeah maybe it was a cheap Gibson, but $400 back in 1982, when gas was still less than a dollar a gallon,was hardly a cheap guitar,I wish the Les Paul snobs would just get off their high horses once in a while and admit that there are other decent guitars in this world that didn’t come in Sunburst.

Anonymous

INFORMATION ABOUT THE GGC-700:

The Gibson GGC-700 (GGC700) was made in 1981 and 1982. I have one (blue) that was made in September of 1981, and one made in March of 1982.

Features:
      Body – Both models have a solid mahogany body (one looks to be 3-piece, the other is potentially 2-piece, but I won’t be sanding it down to find out)
      – Les Paul shape, flat top, long bevel on top bass side, smaller bevel on back bass side
      Neck – Both models have a maple neck. The 1981 has a 3-piece neck, and the other looks to be a 3-piece maple neck as well, but not 100% positive.
      Fretboard – Unbound. Contrary to Gruhn’s Guide to Vintage Guitars suggestion of rosewood, both models have ebony fretboards
      – 1981 looks to be mother-of-pearl, 1982 is fine mother or pearl, or average abalone. (Hard to tell)
      Frets – Low, wide, reminiscent of Fretless-Wonders
      Electronics – Same as Gibson Sonex Standar, Artist, and Custom models
      – Gibson Dirty Fingers pickups (highest output Gibson humbuckers, right next to 500T humbuckers)
      – 2-Volume, 2-Tone, 3-way switch, and a 2-way mini switch
      Hardware – 1981 has Gibson stamped tuners, 1982 has sealed Gibson tuners
      – Standard Gibson tune-o-matic and stoptail

I posted this because there is damned-near ZERO information about this guitar, and I sometimes see people looking. Even Gibson has extremely limited information. (Which is the case for a lot of the lower-end Gibson Norlin-Era models in the late ’70’s-early 80’s.)

Anyhow, that’s as much information as I feel like dropping today. Congrats to anyone who stumbles across this page after getting ahold of a GGC-700. It’s a wonderful guitar, one of my favorites, and is ever elusive.

Anonymous

Does anyone have an up to date value

Anonymous

i have one of these it is sorta creamy yellow, and i wouldnt accept less than £1500 for it..

Anonymous

I have owned a red Sonex 180 Deluxe since it was new in about 1983 for around 400 bucks. Recently purchase an almost mint black GGC-700 off eBay for around 500 bucks. Like the rest of the posts, it is almost like the Sonex 180 only with a set neck. Seems like the finish and fit is a little better than my Sonex and has a little better sustain. Don’t think I’d consider selling either of these though.

Anonymous

I have one that says prototype on the top. ULTRA RARE! It is a dark blue with sparkles. If anyone can give me more info such as date produced and date discontiued it would e appreciated. Also, the price when it first debuted

Anonymous

I own a GGC-70 and mine is absolutly great. They were only made for a couple years. The Sonex 180 is very similar. The only difference is the bolt on neck i believe. Good luck

Anonymous

I bought the same guitar a few months ago and I know nothing about it. I just saw it in a store started playing it and fell in love so I bought it. If you find any info your self please tell me

Anonymous

: Some ten years ago i bought a Gibson GGC 700. I love the guitar but I know nothing about this model. Can anyone give me some information? I kinda looks lika a Les Paul but it isn´t one.
      : Thanx in advance.
      : Sture

I bet it is similar to an "El Success", or a "Sonex", they were cheap Gibsons made in the 80’s, Gibson is to ashamed to say anything about them. My friend has both of those guitars, and they are weak quality. Anyway, go to Gibson.net, and they have a number you could call. Give them your serial number, and they will give you info, on when it was made, how many were made, and when they were discountinued.

Anonymous

: : Some ten years ago i bought a Gibson GGC 700. I love the guitar but I know nothing about this model. Can anyone give me some information? I kinda looks lika a Les Paul but it isn´t one. : : Thanx in advance. : : Sture : I bet it is similar to an "El Success", or a "Sonex", they were cheap Gibsons made in the 80’s, Gibson is to ashamed to say anything about them. My friend has both of those guitars, and they are weak quality. Anyway, go to Gibson.net, and they have a number you could call. Give them your serial number, and they will give you info, on when it was made, how many were made, and when they were discountinued. hi, my husband had a ggc 700 when we started dating but sold it years ago (long story). if you’re interested…i’d like to talk about taking that off of your hands. my email is [email protected]. please email me if this is something you might be interested in discussing. thanks!

Anonymous

hi, i have ggc-700 and i play it under NATO bombing in Belgrade 99`…good guitar with good sound, calm like bomb!

Anonymous

: : Some ten years ago i bought a Gibson GGC 700. I love the guitar but I know nothing about this model. Can anyone give me some information? I kinda looks lika a Les Paul but it isn´t one. : : Thanx in advance. : : Sture : I bet it is similar to an "El Success", or a "Sonex", they were cheap Gibsons made in the 80’s, Gibson is to ashamed to say anything about them. My friend has both of those guitars, and they are weak quality. Anyway, go to Gibson.net, and they have a number you could call. Give them your serial number, and they will give you info, on when it was made, how many were made, and when they were discountinued. I’ve got one – almost 20 years now – and love it. I’ve seen the sonex an it looks the same but doesn’t seem as well built as the GGC-700. Very little info out there and none at gibson web site. It wasn’t an expensive guitar ($200 in 1982) but I can’t complain. The action is great and the sound is very full. What more can you ask for.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.