Homepage Forums Discussion Popular Topics Need info on Voxton guitar

• This topic has 42 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 5 years ago by Anonymous.
  • Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

Hi all, I had a Voxton semi-acoustic guitar given to me a while ago. After replacing the machine heads & strings, then a quick setup,I actually got to play it the other day. It’s actually quite good. I can’t find ANY info on Voxton (manufacturer, country of manufacture, price etc. Can anyone help? If possible a CC to my email would be appreciated. Thanks.. John

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

Back in spring of 1968 I played a bass that was exactly like the Voxtron/Voxton Gibson-ish hollow body . It belonged to the guitarists brother & had a plastic logo glued to the headstock that said “VOX CUSTOM”. It was made in Japan.Did have the Thomas Organ sticker inside.Never saw another one. I didn’t think it was a real Vox product but the guy who owned it got it with a Vox Essex bass amp. It was better than my 1st bass & played & sounded decent unlike most 60’s Japanese instruments.Wouldn’t be surprised if there was some confusion about what Thomas Organ could use the Vox brand on when the brand started falling apart in the late 60’s.
      I’ve only recently heard of Voxtron/Voxton by cruising Reverb but it’s the same bass.

Anonymous

I bought my X-215 (Gibson ES-175 copy) in 1983. Serial number is 1970625, and like others have seen, the label reads Vox/Thomas Organ Co, Sepulveda, California. Made in Japan. Voxton serial numbers don’t appear to have any relation to the year of manufacture, although that is tempting to assume. The 1969 Thomas Vox catalog lists all the Voxton guitars, and there is also a price list from 1970. Check out Vox Showroom for catalog information. My guitar body is made from laminate birch.

Interesting ideas about which plant built these guitars, whether Ibanez and/or Matsumoto plant. These guitars were most likely built in 1969 and 1970.

Anonymous

I bought my X-215 (Gibson ES-175 copy) in 1983. Serial number is 1970625, and like others have seen, the label reads Vox/Thomas Organ Co, Sepulveda, California. Made in Japan. Voxton serial numbers don’t appear to have any relation to the year of manufacture, although that is tempting to assume. The 1969 Thomas Vox catalog lists all the Voxton guitars, and there is also a price list from 1970. Check out Vox Showroom for catalog information. My guitar body is made from laminate birch.

Interesting ideas about which plant built these guitars, whether Ibanez and/or Matsumoto plant. These guitars were most likely built in 1969 and 1970.

Anonymous

I found my Voxton X-213 LP copy at a yard sale a couple years ago. The old guy had bought it for his son in 1969, and his son never got into playing guitar at all so it has very limited playing time. It’s the sunburst with gold hardware, but I replaced the tuners with Jin-Lo tuners after drilling out the holes to fit them. My uncle Phil has many guitars and remembers the Voxton guitars well. He says they were Japanese copies made for Thomas Organ company, and were made at the Matsumoto plant in Japan. He said that even though they don’t have the “true” Vox name, that they were very nice playing guitars at a reasonable price. And as E2 said above, it does have a massive amount of sustain. I love it!!

Anonymous

I have Voxton made in Japan LP copy. It’s black w/gold hardware. I don’t see a serial number anywhere obvious, and I’m not going to take it apart. At the time of purchase, I was told that it was guessed to be from about 1971. My local luthier, who set it up, says that it is not totally solid. (Excuse my lack of technical terms here) He noticed that it is built like some early Ibanez guitars which have a hollow pocket under the contours of the top. He stated that it has “sustain to no end”. He seemed to think that this was a better find than an Epiphone and even many Gibsons.

Anonymous

I just found a Voxton 12-string serial 1970457
      model X-214,

Anonymous

I just pickup up a Voxton X-215 SN: 1970722 and it says clearly on the tail piece “made in Japan.” I bought it off a guy who needed money at a pawn shop and they only offered him $100 like they do with every guitar, so I offered him $150! It had flat wound strings which i promptly took off. Everything else is in amazing shape other than a a couple chips in the binding. Wasn’t for sure if the pups even worked, but got home, plugged it into my…. wait for it…. VOX AC-4 amp (haha) and man it sounds amazing. It’s my twelfth guitar and honestly, probably my third favorite behind my Stratocaster that I built from scratch and my 2016 Gibson Les Paul Studio. Truly an amazing guitar. Super Flat frets which I thought was odd but has no fret buzz and plays great! I have been doing research all day and I found the 1970 catalog with prices from Thomas/Vox on Vox’s website (showroom). It had the description as birch with “two powerful” pickups and was priced at $189. I did a valuation check and that equates roughly to $1200-$2000 depending on the model you use for evaluating inflation. Voxton is made in Japan, for Thomas Organ/Vox. It says california because that is were the company is located but it is definitely made in Japan. I can’t find which company actually manufactured it. Mine was made in 1970, but the serial numbers that begin with 180 are inexplicable as far as dating so far. If someone tries to tell you it’s not a “Vox” guitar, they would be wrong.

This is a quote from The Vox Showroom; “Thomas Organ gave JMI (Jennings Musical Instruments, Ltd) one million dollars in 1965 for the sole distribution rights for Vox amplifiers, guitars and organs in North America. Tom Jennings, the director of JMI, assumed that Thomas Organ would be purchasing Vox products produced in his UK based manufacturing plants and selling these into the American marketplace. However, this was not to be the case. A provision in the licensing agreement struck between JMI Ltd and Thomas Organ allowed Thomas to produce Vox products in the United States, bypassing both JMI and all costs of importation from the UK.” (http://www.voxshowroom.com/us/organ/V301H1.html)

Anonymous

I PURCHASED A ZOX {IT SAYS VOX RIGHT ON THE H THATS AL THE INFO THAT I HAVEEAD PIECE}- IN 1969 NEW FROM A MUSIC STORE IN PORTLAND, OREGON A MAGNIFICENT 12 STRING ACOUSTIC ELECTRIC{FOLK X11-MODEL 24866 MADE IN ITALY .. THE MADE IN ITALY IS ENGRAVED IN BEAUTIFUL LETTERING ON THE BACK OF THE HEAD STOCK. ON THE BACK OF THE NECK WHERE IT JOINS THE BOX THE IS A #900223. THAT IS ALL THE INFO I HAVE ANY ADDITIONAL INFO IS VERY MUCH APPRECIATED. THANX MEL

Anonymous

I have a Voxton X-202 6 string acoustic. The neck feel, the bolt on of neck, the bracing inside the body, and just the general feel and look of the guitar is pretty much identical to Japanese Epiphone guitars from the same time period. Tone is good, projection and sustain are lacking because of the bolt on neck. Neck is ok, could use a setup. I feel the quality is as good as the $500 – $800 intermediate guitars made today.

Anonymous

My son picked up a Voxton x-205 classical guitar a few months ago. With the exception of some minor scratches on the back, it appears to be in excellent shape. Does anyone have an idea of the value? Thanks in advance for any help?

Anonymous

I have a Voxton X-201 acoustic guitar….whats it worth I cant find any price info other than one for 450 bucks

Anonymous

serial #1990550..classical…has white lable with thomas info…and the numbers on bottom right as well says made in japan in the very middle bottom of lable…1 on goodwilldotcom for $14.oo..pictures not great so cant tell if solid or ply..looks like could be cedar.or just stained real well or laminate.betting ply…im not buying it

Anonymous

There is a Voxton label inside and a rosewood back, but I will have to retrieve from storage for more details.

Anonymous

Hy there! i’m from Brazil and have a 1969 VOXTON LES PAUL guitar ,GIBSON copy. Don’t Know anyone who has a guitar like this. I bought it used, but i have all the original parts that was replaced by a luthier.If it’s interesting for somebody , you may sand me a e-mail, i can send some photo of it and talk more about this rare guitar.

Anonymous

I bought one new in Richmond Va. around 1969, X203 serial #1798039. Lable is “VOX/Product of Thomas Organ Co.
      Sepulveda, California.” No reference to made in Japan etc. I think the cost was about $135. This is a hollow body
      acoustical guitar.

Anonymous

We own a voxton purchased new in Chicago from Warrick Mfg they owned Thomas Organ. Ours is in like new condition has a serial number of 1970515 model x214. Can anyone give an estimate of what its worth.
      Thanks, Robert

Anonymous

: Hi all, I am not sure how to bet a pic of my voxton on here or if you can…… I find it hard to e-mail anyone as I don’t see anyones e-mail address…….john cafarella can u e-mail me……. thanks

Anonymous

HI, Was handed down a Voxton X215 Guitar, in very good condition and would like to find anything at all out about this … the serial #1805031….. Could anyone maybe give me some information on this…. Thanks

Anonymous

Mary Ann, I have your guitar’s brother ! I have an x-215, serial No 1805033. Its a Gibson 175 copy, built for Vox/Thomas Organ Co in an unknown place, by an an unknown manufacturer, probably in Japan in the late ’60s. We think. Mine in missing 3 knobs, and pickup covers. It sounds and feels pretty good though, good enough to use on a couple of tunes on an album last year.

Anonymous

: Hi all, : I had a Voxton semi-acoustic guitar given to me a while ago. After replacing the machine heads & strings, then a quick setup,I actually got to play it the other day. It’s actually quite good. I can’t find ANY info on Voxton (manufacturer, country of manufacture, price etc. : Can anyone help? : If possible a CC to my email would be appreciated. : Thanks.. : John

Anonymous

: : Hi all, : : I had a Voxton semi-acoustic guitar given to me a while ago. After replacing the machine heads & strings, then a quick setup,I actually got to play it the other day. It’s actually quite good. I can’t find ANY info on Voxton (manufacturer, country of manufacture, price etc. : : Can anyone help? : : If possible a CC to my email would be appreciated. : : Thanks.. : : John

Anonymous

HI I dont write very good in english i have a voxton bass : : : Thanks.. : : : John

Anonymous

The Voxton guitars were also shipped to Australia around about 1971-72.I have only ever seen the acoustic Voxtons. These are of exactly the same design and all parts interchangable with the Epiphone Texans and Aria,s of the same era. All had bolt on necks with pressed style machine heads and ply tops. Even the lables inside use the same fonts as the other brands, just different layouts. All of these guitars had zero frets at the nut and all were made in the same factory in Japan. These guitars have three peice necks that are very stable and generaly play very well, with low action etc. There tone isnt to great because of the plywood construction. My father got one for free from the local Vox agent in 1972 because of some insurance "problem" on the shipment? Dad says that there were probably 30 or so to choose from. I hope this is helpull.
      : Over the last coupla days, I’ve sent emails to everyone in this thread, and to a bunch of people who know Vox Guitar information. And, I posted a new thread at the bulletin board at http://www.voxtalks.com

: In the interest of hopefully getting some new replies here, as well as there, I’m going to cut and paste and keep both updated with each other’s information.

: So, the link to the Voxtalks thread:

: http://www.voxtalks.com/cgi-bin/UltraBoard/UltraBoard.pl?Action=ShowPost&Board=VT2&Post=16&Idle=0&Sort=0&Order=Descend&Page=0&Session=

: And everything so far:

: Voxton Guitars
      : (Thomas Organ)
      : everheardofem?

: I have what.. I think.. may be, might sort of be a Vox guitar — it’s a Voxton.

: I searched the net for "Voxton" (nope, it’s not "VoxtRon" on the headstock) and
      : there’s only one or two pieces of information on the web, anyway, – mostly in a
      : thread by someone else seeking information, on a different bulletin board (link below).

: Here’s all I know so far, I hope someone reading this will be able to share more!

: I’m sure most people reading this know a company in Sepulveda CA, Thomas Organ,
      : sold Vox products and licensed the name in the U.S. Voxton’s were made in Japan for
      : Thomas Organ — possibly shortly after Thomas Organ merged, or was bought by,
      : another company, Royston.

: ( https://www.guitarsite.com/discussion/messages/3889.shtml )

: (After reading the abbreviated history of Vox on their website, I got the impression
      : that all kinds of things were going on under the name Vox in the U.S.)

: Also from that link — these types of Voxton guitars were mentioned:

: – two semi-hollow-bodies, one called "Model X-215", numbered 19700792, with an
      : inside label that reads, "Voxton / Product of Thomas Organ Co., Sepulveda, Calif."
      : – a SG-shaped Voxtron bass, hollow bodied with f-holes
      : – an acoustic

: I guess my own Voxton guitar brings the ‘known types’ to Four — it’s a Les Paul copy,
      : also with a natural blond wood body and a bolt on neck. It doesn’t have an arched
      : ‘top,’ like a Gibson Les Paul would, and I don’t know if the Super Distortion pickups
      : that were in the guitar when I bought it are original or not. The plate that bolts the
      : neck on reads, "Made in Japan" "1970032" (one less ‘0’ than above?).

: Things I’m really curious to find out are:

: – are these considered "Vox" guitars?

: – is the ‘1970’ in the serial number when they were made?

: – were they made by a ‘known’ overseas guitar maker, for Thomas Organ?

: – were they sold in other places besides the U.S.?

: – is it possible that there are only a thousand?, five thousand? Could "Voxton" guitars
      : be odball rarities?

: Thanks very much,

: Greg

: (I’ve sent emails to Vox, Voxshowroom.com and a handful of other people. And —
      : anybody have a copy of some books by a Michael Wright, a writer for Vintage Guitar?
      : I thought I’d found his email, but it came back.)

: 02-24-2001 00:35:30

: RE:Voxton Guitars (Thomas Organ)
      : everheardofem? (modified 0 times)
      : ihor+boyko

: Voxton guitars are featured in probably one of the last Vox catalogs printed around
      : 1969-1970. This is the catalog with the orange cover where the Beatles are playing
      : through solid state Vox amps with the amp heads turned around. The 1970 in the
      : serial # matches the time frame when these would have been made.

: The electrics in the catalog include copies of the ES-330 (X-209), ES-175 (X-215),
      : EB2 Bass (X-212), and Les Paul (X-213). There are also several acoustic 6 and 12
      : string Voxton models pictured as well as classic style.

: 02-24-2001 16:03:41

: Profile | Email

: ihor+boyko —

: Thanks! I read your reply, then I leaned over to my left and said, "Well Konichi Wa,
      : X-213-san! Next, we’ll straighten out your good Vox name; hopefully."

: I noticed Voxshowroom.com sells reprints of most of the 60’s Thomas Organ/Vox
      : catalogs, but not the now infamous Voxton years of 1969 or so.

: 02-26-2001 02:43:07

: I’ve gotten some email replies since posting my first message.

: — Dennis, owner of a Voxton acoustic, reported that his doesn’t say "Made in Japan",
      : just Thomas Organ and Voxton.

: ** Maybe only the electrics and semi’s were Nippon made? Maybe the acoustics were
      : Italian Eko leftovers or ‘Merican?

: 02-26-2001 02:54:25

: Jim Rhoads of http://www.rhoadsmusic.com replied:

: — "Voxton guitars first appeared in the 1969 Vox catalog. These guitars and the
      : Thomas Organ Vox USA company lasted until about 1970.
      : Vox in England was aquired by The Royston Group, but Thomas Organ was a separate
      : company. Thomas had a distribution deal/licensing agreement with Vox UK."

: ** Sounds right to me. But was Thomas Organ within their rights to sell copy guitars
      : under a VOX-TYPE NAME under their agreement in 1969?

: ** Jim also commented on one of the posts on the ‘guitarsite’ thread, where a poster
      : was guessing Voxtons might have been Italian designed, Korean made, and made
      : earlier than 1967. Jim:

: — "None of the info in this link/post is true."

: ** Agreed. And I think this comes from the people thinking of the Eko guitar story.
      : Part of that history is excerpted from Michael Wright’s "Guitar Stories," Book One
      : here:

: http://www.vguitar.com/gstories.htm#eko

: ** About whether my Les Paul might have come with Super Distortions orignally, Jim
      : says:

: — "No."

: ** Yeah, probably not.

: Jim also wrote:

: — "Voxton guitars are cheap Japanese ‘Gibson’ style copies and are not considered
      : collectible Vox instruments."

: ** Well, alright.

: ** About the serial number / year connection:

: — "Probably not, but I don’t know."

: ** Thanks to the catalog info, I bet it’s pretty accurate. Unless these guitars were
      : made a couple years earlier?

: ** Another of my questions, "were they made by a ‘known’ overseas guitar maker, for
      : Thomas Organ?"

: — "There were many companies at the time who sold the exact same guitars with
      : their own names on them. They are called ‘house brands.’"

: ** Hmm. Then these may or may not have been made solely for Thomas Organ. I bet
      : the headstock might help — mine has a darker wood strip in the center, about 3/4"
      : wide. The top of the headstock has a rounded inward ‘dip’ in the center, with two
      : inward, 1/4" deep ‘swoops’ to the edges.

: ** About whether they might have been sold in England and the US:

: — "They were for the US market as far as I know."

: ** I don’t know, I’ve seen at least two British websites in which people recall buying
      : their first guitar, a "Vox copy of a Les Paul." Maybe Vox imported some from Thomas
      : Organ, or maybe they had their own house brand deal going on.

: 02-26-2001 03:20:23

: SonicGuy replied:

: — "They were sold by Thomas Organ in 1969 and 1970. They were made in the
      : Orient."

: ** Cool. More verification.

: — "I do not consider them to be VOX as they do not say VOX. They were an attempt
      : by Thomas Organ to get cheaper guitars and make a higher profit margin on them. I
      : think they have negligible collector value, too."

: ** It’s not about money of course. Personally I’m interested in the rarity, the oddity
      : and the story.

: ** is the ‘1970’ of the serial number reflective of when they were made?

: — "Yes."

: ** were they made by a ‘known’ overseas guitar maker, for Thomas Organ?

: "Nobody significant, say like an Ibanez."

: ** Anybody knopw if 1969 pre-dates the whole Ibanez copy fiasco?

: ** were they sold in England as well as America?

: — "No they were not. In fact not too many were sold at all, these guitars, and Vox in
      : America after 1968, were both flops."

: ** Again, (from admittedly completely anecdotal stuff that I’ve read) I’m not positive
      : that there Vox UK wasn’t selling these Voxtons too, or something similar.

: 02-26-2001 03:36:19

: everheardofem? (modified 1 times)

: Duane Wayne from Voxshowroom.com:

: — "I have not heard the "Japan" stuff – but I suppose anything is possible. Since you
      : have a VOXton with Japan markings it could be true."

: ** I am going to believe the "Made in Japan" marking on my guitar at least, and since
      : only it seems to have this marking, I suppose the different models of Voxtons could
      : have originally come from more than one maker.

: — "My understanding is that VOXton guitars were simply left over EKO badged VOX
      : guitars that Thomas re-badged as VOXton to avoid VOX licensing which they no
      : longer owned after 1970."

: ** This is the most interesting unknown so far, for two reasons:

: ** First, is there an Eko connection or not? Reading the information in that "Guitar
      : Stories" book excerpt (URL above) didn’t shine much light on Eko past the mid-60’s.
      : WAS Eko making Japanese stuff in 1969, and shopping it to musical instrument
      : sellers? (And does anybody know if any books about Vox go into this?)

: ** Second, let’s say Voxton’s ARE re-badged Eko’s (Eko guitars being middle of the
      : road products from what I’ve gathered). Well, if the 1969 catalog had them, it all
      : comes down to when the Thomas Organ licensing agreement ended — again, there’s
      : the technicality.

: — "I don’t know any VOX collectors who consider VOXton guitars to be
      : "true" VOX guitars even though they technically are the same."

: ** X-213-san, you Bastard! You bring shame upon the House of Vox!
      : "…technically the same", Duane wrote. I think he meant Voxtons are just another
      : Thomas Organ item that had a Vox-Type label. Reading the abbreviated chronological
      : history on the Vox website doesn’t clear up the technicality:

: 1967 – With the Royston Groups take over of Vox and the Thomas Organ Company’s
      : control of Vox’s U.S. operation, Tom Jennings resigns.

: 1969 – Royston Industries go into liquidation and are put into the hand of the
      : receiver. After nine mouths of uncertainty the Corinthian Bank becomes the new
      : owner of Vox. The name changes to Vox Sound Ltd.

: 1970 – Vox Sound Ltd is sold to a consortium comprising of John Birch and George
      : Stowe of Stolec Electronics and the Schroder Bank.

: ___________________________

: Thanks again for any replies from Vox Collectors and Vox History buffs. I don’t speak
      : for the hordes of other Voxton owners, 5 total that I know of, but I’m sure we’ll all be
      : interested in what anyone can tell us.

: 02-26-2001 04:12:32

: And, John, fellow Voxton owner, passed along this:

: His 175 copy is labeled:

: "Vox/Product of Thomas Organ Co.,Sepulvada, Calif. Model X 215,
      : Ser No 1805033" and, "On the border of the paper, is the following No:
      : 088-005527-01."

: 02-26-2001 04:17:08

:
      : Post a New Message | Reply this Thread | Printer | Forward

: All times are EST
      : Powered by UltraBoard v1.62

:

Anonymous

For what its worth, and from the hazy clouds of 1974 memories – I was 18 and playing good rock with a band in Patterson NC, when I traded locally for a Voxton Les Paul copy – beautiful sunburst finish, solid sound, solid play, and very durable. The bolt-on neck plate said Made in Japan. Man I wish I still had that guitar……

Anonymous

RE:Voxton Guitars (Thomas Organ)
      everheardofem? (modified 0 times)
      Jim+Rhoads

Voxton’s are NOT rebadged EKO’s, period. They are Japanese made instruments that
      have no connection to any previous Vox instruments.
      The Voxton guitars were made for Thomas Organ and USA sale. You will find the
      EXACT same Japanese made guitars from the same factory with a variety of names
      on the headstock. I have seen these guitars with the Voxton, VOX, Burns, and Honey
      names. They are all the same guitars, and were made in the same factory.
      A side note: Vox UK (Rose Morris) tried selling rebadged Aria guitars as VOX’s during
      the 80’s. They were much better quality than the Voxton’s, but were also Japanese
      made and were identical to their Aria conterparts.

02-26-2001 10:25:34

everheardofem? (modified 2 times)
      Greg

Profile | Email

Jim Rhoads!
      Jim Rhoads!

Thanks man, for clearing so much up. I didn’t THINK Eko had anything to do with
      Voxtons.

And your explanation of Vox in the UK selling other copy guitars makes sense —
      especially that they weren’t Eko’s.

Your information that these guitars weren’t made just for Thomas Organ makes
      complete sense as well. (The name on the headstock – worn off on mine – looks like it
      was cut in with an exacto kinfe, by an eight year old.)

So… while there may not be many ‘Voxtons,’ they’ve got identical cousins out the
      ying-yang all over the country — at least the Les Pauls. Still a mystery if the other
      models were made in Japan.

So:
      ___did Thomas Organ still have a licensing agreement to sell *even non-UK originated
      instruments* Using The Vox Name, in 1969/70?
      ___at the time, was there even enough left of the Vox company in the UK to HAVE an
      agreement with — was Thomas Organ just plunging full steam ahead, all the while not
      really CARING what was going on in England?

02-26-2001 11:55:16

everheardofem? (modified 0 times)
      Greg

Profile | Email

Interesting that John’s serial number doesn’t also start with "1970."

From the Voxshowroom description of the 1968 reproduction catalog:

"32 Page Catalog – The 1968 Thomas Vox catalog used the images from the 1967
      poster catalog, framed with the words ‘The Sound That Travels With The Stars.’ By
      far the most complete catalog ever produced by Thomas Vox…"

"Also shown are ten pages of Italian guitars from Eko and Crucianelli, rebadged as
      Vox."

?

02-26-2001 12:20:17

everheardofem? (modified 1 times)
      Greg

Profile | Email

So, I finally got my hands on a copy of the latest Blue Book, and there, located in the
      Vox section, was the Voxton info. No specific listings for ’em, but there it was.

Below that Vox overview was a thank you to none other than Jim Rhoads and one to
      voxshowroom.com.

And, I read the _one_ page in the book about "house brands." Then I searched for
      Thomas Organ, Burns, Honey and for a "Japanese Guitars" section (I think I thumbed
      past an English section), but nada on all counts.

(Who, oh who, made these copy guitars?)

Now I’m looking forward to getting a copy of Guitar Stories Vol. 1.

Anonymous

A friend of mine just picked up a Voxton semi-hollow body guitar.
      It’s in fair condition but has it’s back removed. A label on the inside
      back says Voxton / Product of Thomas Organ Co., Seplulveda, Calif.
      It’s a Model X-215. Serial # 1970792. The person he received it from
      told him it was a 1967. I was thinking 1970, because of the first part
      of the serial number. Any more info would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff

Anonymous

yo, i got the same thing from my grandpa, and i also have no info and am in need… : A friend of mine just picked up a Voxton semi-hollow body guitar. : It’s in fair condition but has it’s back removed. A label on the inside : back says Voxton / Product of Thomas Organ Co., Seplulveda, Calif. : It’s a Model X-215. Serial # 1970792. The person he received it from : told him it was a 1967. I was thinking 1970, because of the first part : of the serial number. Any more info would be greatly appreciated. : Jeff

Anonymous

Hello, I just found a Voxton bass guitar, hollow bodied with f-holes, pseudo-SG shaped, blond wood. One of the coolest basses I’ve ever seen, but I too have the same problem — NOBODY knows anything about Voxton guitars.

Hi John: I too have a Voxton guitar, just acoustic; It plays great and I have had it for over 20 years… it was used when I got it.

: The Voxton, as near as I can figure, was made by the Thomas Organ company after they merged with Royston company. I believe they were designed by an Italian guitar maker, but do not have the proof. I was told by seberal guitar shops it is probably Korean made. I fail to agree as of yet. Sent a photo of yours if you have the equipment to do so. They seem to be a solid made guitar. Let me know if you get this mail. Dennis

Anonymous

: Hello, I just found a Voxton bass guitar, hollow bodied with f-holes, pseudo-SG shaped, blond wood. One of the coolest basses I’ve ever seen, but I too have the same problem — NOBODY knows anything about Voxton guitars. : Hi John: I too have a Voxton guitar, just acoustic; It plays great and I have had it for over 20 years… it was used when I got it. : : The Voxton, as near as I can figure, was made by the Thomas Organ company after they merged with Royston company. I believe they were designed by an Italian guitar maker, but do not have the proof. I was told by seberal guitar shops it is probably Korean made. I fail to agree as of yet. Sent a photo of yours if you have the equipment to do so. They seem to be a solid made guitar. Let me know if you get this mail. Dennis hi. i have a voxton archtop 6 string guitar and mine still has the original manufacture label inside of it which states: "VOX/Product of the Thomas Organ Co.,Sepulveda, Calf" and at the bottom, it reads, "Made in Japan." Sorry for the bad news……. phil.

Anonymous

Over the last coupla days, I’ve sent emails to everyone in this thread, and to a bunch of people who know Vox Guitar information. And, I posted a new thread at the bulletin board at http://www.voxtalks.com In the interest of hopefully getting some new replies here, as well as there, I’m going to cut and paste and keep both updated with each other’s information. So, the link to the Voxtalks thread: http://www.voxtalks.com/cgi-bin/UltraBoard/UltraBoard.pl?Action=ShowPost&Board=VT2&Post=16&Idle=0&Sort=0&Order=Descend&Page=0&Session= And everything so far: Voxton Guitars (Thomas Organ) everheardofem? I have what.. I think.. may be, might sort of be a Vox guitar — it’s a Voxton. I searched the net for "Voxton" (nope, it’s not "VoxtRon" on the headstock) and there’s only one or two pieces of information on the web, anyway, – mostly in a thread by someone else seeking information, on a different bulletin board (link below). Here’s all I know so far, I hope someone reading this will be able to share more! I’m sure most people reading this know a company in Sepulveda CA, Thomas Organ, sold Vox products and licensed the name in the U.S. Voxton’s were made in Japan for Thomas Organ — possibly shortly after Thomas Organ merged, or was bought by, another company, Royston. ( https://www.guitarsite.com/discussion/messages/3889.shtml ) (After reading the abbreviated history of Vox on their website, I got the impression that all kinds of things were going on under the name Vox in the U.S.) Also from that link — these types of Voxton guitars were mentioned: – two semi-hollow-bodies, one called "Model X-215", numbered 19700792, with an inside label that reads, "Voxton / Product of Thomas Organ Co., Sepulveda, Calif." – a SG-shaped Voxtron bass, hollow bodied with f-holes – an acoustic I guess my own Voxton guitar brings the ‘known types’ to Four — it’s a Les Paul copy, also with a natural blond wood body and a bolt on neck. It doesn’t have an arched ‘top,’ like a Gibson Les Paul would, and I don’t know if the Super Distortion pickups that were in the guitar when I bought it are original or not. The plate that bolts the neck on reads, "Made in Japan" "1970032" (one less ‘0’ than above?). Things I’m really curious to find out are: – are these considered "Vox" guitars? – is the ‘1970’ in the serial number when they were made? – were they made by a ‘known’ overseas guitar maker, for Thomas Organ? – were they sold in other places besides the U.S.? – is it possible that there are only a thousand?, five thousand? Could "Voxton" guitars be odball rarities? Thanks very much, Greg (I’ve sent emails to Vox, Voxshowroom.com and a handful of other people. And — anybody have a copy of some books by a Michael Wright, a writer for Vintage Guitar? I thought I’d found his email, but it came back.) 02-24-2001 00:35:30 RE:Voxton Guitars (Thomas Organ) everheardofem? (modified 0 times) ihor+boyko Voxton guitars are featured in probably one of the last Vox catalogs printed around 1969-1970. This is the catalog with the orange cover where the Beatles are playing through solid state Vox amps with the amp heads turned around. The 1970 in the serial # matches the time frame when these would have been made. The electrics in the catalog include copies of the ES-330 (X-209), ES-175 (X-215), EB2 Bass (X-212), and Les Paul (X-213). There are also several acoustic 6 and 12 string Voxton models pictured as well as classic style. 02-24-2001 16:03:41 RE:Voxton Guitars (Thomas Organ) everheardofem? (modified 0 times) Greg Profile | Email ihor+boyko — Thanks! I read your reply, then I leaned over to my left and said, "Well Konichi Wa, X-213-san! Next, we’ll straighten out your good Vox name; hopefully." I noticed Voxshowroom.com sells reprints of most of the 60’s Thomas Organ/Vox catalogs, but not the now infamous Voxton years of 1969 or so. 02-26-2001 02:43:07 RE:Voxton Guitars (Thomas Organ) everheardofem? (modified 0 times) Greg I’ve gotten some email replies since posting my first message. — Dennis, owner of a Voxton acoustic, reported that his doesn’t say "Made in Japan", just Thomas Organ and Voxton. ** Maybe only the electrics and semi’s were Nippon made? Maybe the acoustics were Italian Eko leftovers or ‘Merican? 02-26-2001 02:54:25 RE:Voxton Guitars (Thomas Organ) everheardofem? (modified 0 times) Greg Jim Rhoads of http://www.rhoadsmusic.com replied: — "Voxton guitars first appeared in the 1969 Vox catalog. These guitars and the Thomas Organ Vox USA company lasted until about 1970. Vox in England was aquired by The Royston Group, but Thomas Organ was a separate company. Thomas had a distribution deal/licensing agreement with Vox UK." ** Sounds right to me. But was Thomas Organ within their rights to sell copy guitars under a VOX-TYPE NAME under their agreement in 1969? ** Jim also commented on one of the posts on the ‘guitarsite’ thread, where a poster was guessing Voxtons might have been Italian designed, Korean made, and made earlier than 1967. Jim: — "None of the info in this link/post is true." ** Agreed. And I think this comes from the people thinking of the Eko guitar story. Part of that history is excerpted from Michael Wright’s "Guitar Stories," Book One here: http://www.vguitar.com/gstories.htm#eko ** About whether my Les Paul might have come with Super Distortions orignally, Jim says: — "No." ** Yeah, probably not. Jim also wrote: — "Voxton guitars are cheap Japanese ‘Gibson’ style copies and are not considered collectible Vox instruments." ** Well, alright. ** About the serial number / year connection: — "Probably not, but I don’t know." ** Thanks to the catalog info, I bet it’s pretty accurate. Unless these guitars were made a couple years earlier? ** Another of my questions, "were they made by a ‘known’ overseas guitar maker, for Thomas Organ?" — "There were many companies at the time who sold the exact same guitars with their own names on them. They are called ‘house brands.’" ** Hmm. Then these may or may not have been made solely for Thomas Organ. I bet the headstock might help — mine has a darker wood strip in the center, about 3/4" wide. The top of the headstock has a rounded inward ‘dip’ in the center, with two inward, 1/4" deep ‘swoops’ to the edges. ** About whether they might have been sold in England and the US: — "They were for the US market as far as I know." ** I don’t know, I’ve seen at least two British websites in which people recall buying their first guitar, a "Vox copy of a Les Paul." Maybe Vox imported some from Thomas Organ, or maybe they had their own house brand deal going on. 02-26-2001 03:20:23 RE:Voxton Guitars (Thomas Organ) everheardofem? (modified 0 times) Greg Profile | Email SonicGuy replied: — "They were sold by Thomas Organ in 1969 and 1970. They were made in the Orient." ** Cool. More verification. — "I do not consider them to be VOX as they do not say VOX. They were an attempt by Thomas Organ to get cheaper guitars and make a higher profit margin on them. I think they have negligible collector value, too." ** It’s not about money of course. Personally I’m interested in the rarity, the oddity and the story. ** is the ‘1970’ of the serial number reflective of when they were made? — "Yes." ** were they made by a ‘known’ overseas guitar maker, for Thomas Organ? "Nobody significant, say like an Ibanez." ** Anybody knopw if 1969 pre-dates the whole Ibanez copy fiasco? ** were they sold in England as well as America? — "No they were not. In fact not too many were sold at all, these guitars, and Vox in America after 1968, were both flops." ** Again, (from admittedly completely anecdotal stuff that I’ve read) I’m not positive that there Vox UK wasn’t selling these Voxtons too, or something similar. 02-26-2001 03:36:19 RE:Voxton Guitars (Thomas Organ) everheardofem? (modified 1 times) Greg Profile | Email Duane Wayne from Voxshowroom.com: — "I have not heard the "Japan" stuff – but I suppose anything is possible. Since you have a VOXton with Japan markings it could be true." ** I am going to believe the "Made in Japan" marking on my guitar at least, and since only it seems to have this marking, I suppose the different models of Voxtons could have originally come from more than one maker. — "My understanding is that VOXton guitars were simply left over EKO badged VOX guitars that Thomas re-badged as VOXton to avoid VOX licensing which they no longer owned after 1970." ** This is the most interesting unknown so far, for two reasons: ** First, is there an Eko connection or not? Reading the information in that "Guitar Stories" book excerpt (URL above) didn’t shine much light on Eko past the mid-60’s. WAS Eko making Japanese stuff in 1969, and shopping it to musical instrument sellers? (And does anybody know if any books about Vox go into this?) ** Second, let’s say Voxton’s ARE re-badged Eko’s (Eko guitars being middle of the road products from what I’ve gathered). Well, if the 1969 catalog had them, it all comes down to when the Thomas Organ licensing agreement ended — again, there’s the technicality. — "I don’t know any VOX collectors who consider VOXton guitars to be "true" VOX guitars even though they technically are the same." ** X-213-san, you Bastard! You bring shame upon the House of Vox! "…technically the same", Duane wrote. I think he meant Voxtons are just another Thomas Organ item that had a Vox-Type label. Reading the abbreviated chronological history on the Vox website doesn’t clear up the technicality: 1967 – With the Royston Groups take over of Vox and the Thomas Organ Company’s control of Vox’s U.S. operation, Tom Jennings resigns. 1969 – Royston Industries go into liquidation and are put into the hand of the receiver. After nine mouths of uncertainty the Corinthian Bank becomes the new owner of Vox. The name changes to Vox Sound Ltd. 1970 – Vox Sound Ltd is sold to a consortium comprising of John Birch and George Stowe of Stolec Electronics and the Schroder Bank. ___________________________ Thanks again for any replies from Vox Collectors and Vox History buffs. I don’t speak for the hordes of other Voxton owners, 5 total that I know of, but I’m sure we’ll all be interested in what anyone can tell us. 02-26-2001 04:12:32 RE:Voxton Guitars (Thomas Organ) everheardofem? (modified 0 times) Greg Profile | Email And, John, fellow Voxton owner, passed along this: His 175 copy is labeled: "Vox/Product of Thomas Organ Co.,Sepulvada, Calif. Model X 215, Ser No 1805033" and, "On the border of the paper, is the following No: 088-005527-01." 02-26-2001 04:17:08 Post a New Message | Reply this Thread | Printer | Forward All times are EST Powered by UltraBoard v1.62

Anonymous

For anyone still interested in this, I own a Voxton X – 209 from somewhere around the time period above. It has similar marking but no marking saying ‘Made in Japan’.

Anonymous

I’ve got a Voxton too, Les Paul looks, might’ve had pich gaurd at one time, has the bolt on neck but nothing engraved in the neck, however, theres a model # printed at the base of the nec 1803100, so the year made isnt known, glad to have read all the info, but still no hard facts to who, what, where, or why,, weird. please email me if more info turns up, thanks, -Alf

Anonymous

I have a Voxton Les Paul copy that I acquired from a friend three days ago. We actually were together when he bought it used at a guitar store in Tacoma, WA for $90 in 1971, I believe. It hasn’t been played in years. As I was cleaning it up two days ago, I looked everywhere on and inside the guitar (under the pickups is the only place “inside”) for some kind of identifying mark and found absolutely nothing. I actually saw the serial #1803154 today for the first time printed on the last fret. I know next to nothing about this guitar other than what I have read on this post.

Anonymous

: Over the last coupla days, I’ve sent emails to everyone in this thread, and to a bunch of people who know Vox Guitar information. And, I posted a new thread at the bulletin board at http://www.voxtalks.com : In the interest of hopefully getting some new replies here, as well as there, I’m going to cut and paste and keep both updated with each other’s information. : So, the link to the Voxtalks thread: : http://www.voxtalks.com/cgi-bin/UltraBoard/UltraBoard.pl?Action=ShowPost&Board=VT2&Post=16&Idle=0&Sort=0&Order=Descend&Page=0&Session= : And everything so far: : Voxton Guitars : (Thomas Organ) : everheardofem? : I have what.. I think.. may be, might sort of be a Vox guitar — it’s a Voxton. : I searched the net for "Voxton" (nope, it’s not "VoxtRon" on the headstock) and : there’s only one or two pieces of information on the web, anyway, – mostly in a : thread by someone else seeking information, on a different bulletin board (link below). : Here’s all I know so far, I hope someone reading this will be able to share more! : I’m sure most people reading this know a company in Sepulveda CA, Thomas Organ, : sold Vox products and licensed the name in the U.S. Voxton’s were made in Japan for : Thomas Organ — possibly shortly after Thomas Organ merged, or was bought by, : another company, Royston. : ( https://www.guitarsite.com/discussion/messages/3889.shtml ) : (After reading the abbreviated history of Vox on their website, I got the impression : that all kinds of things were going on under the name Vox in the U.S.) : Also from that link — these types of Voxton guitars were mentioned: : – two semi-hollow-bodies, one called "Model X-215", numbered 19700792, with an : inside label that reads, "Voxton / Product of Thomas Organ Co., Sepulveda, Calif." : – a SG-shaped Voxtron bass, hollow bodied with f-holes : – an acoustic : I guess my own Voxton guitar brings the ‘known types’ to Four — it’s a Les Paul copy, : also with a natural blond wood body and a bolt on neck. It doesn’t have an arched : ‘top,’ like a Gibson Les Paul would, and I don’t know if the Super Distortion pickups : that were in the guitar when I bought it are original or not. The plate that bolts the : neck on reads, "Made in Japan" "1970032" (one less ‘0’ than above?). : Things I’m really curious to find out are: : – are these considered "Vox" guitars? : – is the ‘1970’ in the serial number when they were made? : – were they made by a ‘known’ overseas guitar maker, for Thomas Organ? : – were they sold in other places besides the U.S.? : – is it possible that there are only a thousand?, five thousand? Could "Voxton" guitars : be odball rarities? : Thanks very much, : Greg : (I’ve sent emails to Vox, Voxshowroom.com and a handful of other people. And — : anybody have a copy of some books by a Michael Wright, a writer for Vintage Guitar? : I thought I’d found his email, but it came back.) : 02-24-2001 00:35:30 : RE:Voxton Guitars (Thomas Organ) : everheardofem? (modified 0 times) : ihor+boyko : Voxton guitars are featured in probably one of the last Vox catalogs printed around : 1969-1970. This is the catalog with the orange cover where the Beatles are playing : through solid state Vox amps with the amp heads turned around. The 1970 in the : serial # matches the time frame when these would have been made. : The electrics in the catalog include copies of the ES-330 (X-209), ES-175 (X-215), : EB2 Bass (X-212), and Les Paul (X-213). There are also several acoustic 6 and 12 : string Voxton models pictured as well as classic style. : 02-24-2001 16:03:41 : RE:Voxton Guitars (Thomas Organ) : everheardofem? (modified 0 times) : Greg : Profile | Email : ihor+boyko — : Thanks! I read your reply, then I leaned over to my left and said, "Well Konichi Wa, : X-213-san! Next, we’ll straighten out your good Vox name; hopefully." : I noticed Voxshowroom.com sells reprints of most of the 60’s Thomas Organ/Vox : catalogs, but not the now infamous Voxton years of 1969 or so. : 02-26-2001 02:43:07 : RE:Voxton Guitars (Thomas Organ) : everheardofem? (modified 0 times) : Greg : I’ve gotten some email replies since posting my first message. : — Dennis, owner of a Voxton acoustic, reported that his doesn’t say "Made in Japan", : just Thomas Organ and Voxton. : ** Maybe only the electrics and semi’s were Nippon made? Maybe the acoustics were : Italian Eko leftovers or ‘Merican? : 02-26-2001 02:54:25 : RE:Voxton Guitars (Thomas Organ) : everheardofem? (modified 0 times) : Greg : Jim Rhoads of http://www.rhoadsmusic.com replied: : — "Voxton guitars first appeared in the 1969 Vox catalog. These guitars and the : Thomas Organ Vox USA company lasted until about 1970. : Vox in England was aquired by The Royston Group, but Thomas Organ was a separate : company. Thomas had a distribution deal/licensing agreement with Vox UK." : ** Sounds right to me. But was Thomas Organ within their rights to sell copy guitars : under a VOX-TYPE NAME under their agreement in 1969? : ** Jim also commented on one of the posts on the ‘guitarsite’ thread, where a poster : was guessing Voxtons might have been Italian designed, Korean made, and made : earlier than 1967. Jim: : — "None of the info in this link/post is true." : ** Agreed. And I think this comes from the people thinking of the Eko guitar story. : Part of that history is excerpted from Michael Wright’s "Guitar Stories," Book One : here: : http://www.vguitar.com/gstories.htm#eko : ** About whether my Les Paul might have come with Super Distortions orignally, Jim : says: : — "No." : ** Yeah, probably not. : Jim also wrote: : — "Voxton guitars are cheap Japanese ‘Gibson’ style copies and are not considered : collectible Vox instruments." : ** Well, alright. : ** About the serial number / year connection: : — "Probably not, but I don’t know." : ** Thanks to the catalog info, I bet it’s pretty accurate. Unless these guitars were : made a couple years earlier? : ** Another of my questions, "were they made by a ‘known’ overseas guitar maker, for : Thomas Organ?" : — "There were many companies at the time who sold the exact same guitars with : their own names on them. They are called ‘house brands.’" : ** Hmm. Then these may or may not have been made solely for Thomas Organ. I bet : the headstock might help — mine has a darker wood strip in the center, about 3/4" : wide. The top of the headstock has a rounded inward ‘dip’ in the center, with two : inward, 1/4" deep ‘swoops’ to the edges. : ** About whether they might have been sold in England and the US: : — "They were for the US market as far as I know." : ** I don’t know, I’ve seen at least two British websites in which people recall buying : their first guitar, a "Vox copy of a Les Paul." Maybe Vox imported some from Thomas : Organ, or maybe they had their own house brand deal going on. : 02-26-2001 03:20:23 : RE:Voxton Guitars (Thomas Organ) : everheardofem? (modified 0 times) : Greg : Profile | Email : SonicGuy replied: : — "They were sold by Thomas Organ in 1969 and 1970. They were made in the : Orient." : ** Cool. More verification. : — "I do not consider them to be VOX as they do not say VOX. They were an attempt : by Thomas Organ to get cheaper guitars and make a higher profit margin on them. I : think they have negligible collector value, too." : ** It’s not about money of course. Personally I’m interested in the rarity, the oddity : and the story. : ** is the ‘1970’ of the serial number reflective of when they were made? : — "Yes." : ** were they made by a ‘known’ overseas guitar maker, for Thomas Organ? : "Nobody significant, say like an Ibanez." : ** Anybody knopw if 1969 pre-dates the whole Ibanez copy fiasco? : ** were they sold in England as well as America? : — "No they were not. In fact not too many were sold at all, these guitars, and Vox in : America after 1968, were both flops." : ** Again, (from admittedly completely anecdotal stuff that I’ve read) I’m not positive : that there Vox UK wasn’t selling these Voxtons too, or something similar. : 02-26-2001 03:36:19 : RE:Voxton Guitars (Thomas Organ) : everheardofem? (modified 1 times) : Greg : Profile | Email : Duane Wayne from Voxshowroom.com: : — "I have not heard the "Japan" stuff – but I suppose anything is possible. Since you : have a VOXton with Japan markings it could be true." : ** I am going to believe the "Made in Japan" marking on my guitar at least, and since : only it seems to have this marking, I suppose the different models of Voxtons could : have originally come from more than one maker. : — "My understanding is that VOXton guitars were simply left over EKO badged VOX : guitars that Thomas re-badged as VOXton to avoid VOX licensing which they no : longer owned after 1970." : ** This is the most interesting unknown so far, for two reasons: : ** First, is there an Eko connection or not? Reading the information in that "Guitar : Stories" book excerpt (URL above) didn’t shine much light on Eko past the mid-60’s. : WAS Eko making Japanese stuff in 1969, and shopping it to musical instrument : sellers? (And does anybody know if any books about Vox go into this?) : ** Second, let’s say Voxton’s ARE re-badged Eko’s (Eko guitars being middle of the : road products from what I’ve gathered). Well, if the 1969 catalog had them, it all : comes down to when the Thomas Organ licensing agreement ended — again, there’s : the technicality. : — "I don’t know any VOX collectors who consider VOXton guitars to be : "true" VOX guitars even though they technically are the same." : ** X-213-san, you Bastard! You bring shame upon the House of Vox! : "…technically the same", Duane wrote. I think he meant Voxtons are just another : Thomas Organ item that had a Vox-Type label. Reading the abbreviated chronological : history on the Vox website doesn’t clear up the technicality: : 1967 – With the Royston Groups take over of Vox and the Thomas Organ Company’s : control of Vox’s U.S. operation, Tom Jennings resigns. : 1969 – Royston Industries go into liquidation and are put into the hand of the : receiver. After nine mouths of uncertainty the Corinthian Bank becomes the new : owner of Vox. The name changes to Vox Sound Ltd. : 1970 – Vox Sound Ltd is sold to a consortium comprising of John Birch and George : Stowe of Stolec Electronics and the Schroder Bank. : ___________________________ : Thanks again for any replies from Vox Collectors and Vox History buffs. I don’t speak : for the hordes of other Voxton owners, 5 total that I know of, but I’m sure we’ll all be : interested in what anyone can tell us. : 02-26-2001 04:12:32 : RE:Voxton Guitars (Thomas Organ) : everheardofem? (modified 0 times) : Greg : Profile | Email : And, John, fellow Voxton owner, passed along this: : His 175 copy is labeled: : "Vox/Product of Thomas Organ Co.,Sepulvada, Calif. Model X 215, : Ser No 1805033" and, "On the border of the paper, is the following No: : 088-005527-01." : 02-26-2001 04:17:08 : : Post a New Message | Reply this Thread | Printer | Forward : All times are EST : Powered by UltraBoard v1.62 : i just bought one of these voxton axes at a rummage sale for 35 bucks its a les paul copy plays real nice what are they worth?????

Anonymous

: Over the last coupla days, I’ve sent emails to everyone in this thread, and to a bunch of people who know Vox Guitar information. And, I posted a new thread at the bulletin board at http://www.voxtalks.com : In the interest of hopefully getting some new replies here, as well as there, I’m going to cut and paste and keep both updated with each other’s information. : So, the link to the Voxtalks thread: : http://www.voxtalks.com/cgi-bin/UltraBoard/UltraBoard.pl?Action=ShowPost&Board=VT2&Post=16&Idle=0&Sort=0&Order=Descend&Page=0&Session= : And everything so far: : Voxton Guitars : (Thomas Organ) : everheardofem? : I have what.. I think.. may be, might sort of be a Vox guitar — it’s a Voxton. : I searched the net for "Voxton" (nope, it’s not "VoxtRon" on the headstock) and : there’s only one or two pieces of information on the web, anyway, – mostly in a : thread by someone else seeking information, on a different bulletin board (link below). : Here’s all I know so far, I hope someone reading this will be able to share more! : I’m sure most people reading this know a company in Sepulveda CA, Thomas Organ, : sold Vox products and licensed the name in the U.S. Voxton’s were made in Japan for : Thomas Organ — possibly shortly after Thomas Organ merged, or was bought by, : another company, Royston. : ( https://www.guitarsite.com/discussion/messages/3889.shtml ) : (After reading the abbreviated history of Vox on their website, I got the impression : that all kinds of things were going on under the name Vox in the U.S.) : Also from that link — these types of Voxton guitars were mentioned: : – two semi-hollow-bodies, one called "Model X-215", numbered 19700792, with an : inside label that reads, "Voxton / Product of Thomas Organ Co., Sepulveda, Calif." : – a SG-shaped Voxtron bass, hollow bodied with f-holes : – an acoustic : I guess my own Voxton guitar brings the ‘known types’ to Four — it’s a Les Paul copy, : also with a natural blond wood body and a bolt on neck. It doesn’t have an arched : ‘top,’ like a Gibson Les Paul would, and I don’t know if the Super Distortion pickups : that were in the guitar when I bought it are original or not. The plate that bolts the : neck on reads, "Made in Japan" "1970032" (one less ‘0’ than above?). : Things I’m really curious to find out are: : – are these considered "Vox" guitars? : – is the ‘1970’ in the serial number when they were made? : – were they made by a ‘known’ overseas guitar maker, for Thomas Organ? : – were they sold in other places besides the U.S.? : – is it possible that there are only a thousand?, five thousand? Could "Voxton" guitars : be odball rarities? : Thanks very much, : Greg : (I’ve sent emails to Vox, Voxshowroom.com and a handful of other people. And — : anybody have a copy of some books by a Michael Wright, a writer for Vintage Guitar? : I thought I’d found his email, but it came back.) : 02-24-2001 00:35:30 : RE:Voxton Guitars (Thomas Organ) : everheardofem? (modified 0 times) : ihor+boyko : Voxton guitars are featured in probably one of the last Vox catalogs printed around : 1969-1970. This is the catalog with the orange cover where the Beatles are playing : through solid state Vox amps with the amp heads turned around. The 1970 in the : serial # matches the time frame when these would have been made. : The electrics in the catalog include copies of the ES-330 (X-209), ES-175 (X-215), : EB2 Bass (X-212), and Les Paul (X-213). There are also several acoustic 6 and 12 : string Voxton models pictured as well as classic style. : 02-24-2001 16:03:41 : RE:Voxton Guitars (Thomas Organ) : everheardofem? (modified 0 times) : Greg : Profile | Email : ihor+boyko — : Thanks! I read your reply, then I leaned over to my left and said, "Well Konichi Wa, : X-213-san! Next, we’ll straighten out your good Vox name; hopefully." : I noticed Voxshowroom.com sells reprints of most of the 60’s Thomas Organ/Vox : catalogs, but not the now infamous Voxton years of 1969 or so. : 02-26-2001 02:43:07 : RE:Voxton Guitars (Thomas Organ) : everheardofem? (modified 0 times) : Greg : I’ve gotten some email replies since posting my first message. : — Dennis, owner of a Voxton acoustic, reported that his doesn’t say "Made in Japan", : just Thomas Organ and Voxton. : ** Maybe only the electrics and semi’s were Nippon made? Maybe the acoustics were : Italian Eko leftovers or ‘Merican? : 02-26-2001 02:54:25 : RE:Voxton Guitars (Thomas Organ) : everheardofem? (modified 0 times) : Greg : Jim Rhoads of http://www.rhoadsmusic.com replied: : — "Voxton guitars first appeared in the 1969 Vox catalog. These guitars and the : Thomas Organ Vox USA company lasted until about 1970. : Vox in England was aquired by The Royston Group, but Thomas Organ was a separate : company. Thomas had a distribution deal/licensing agreement with Vox UK." : ** Sounds right to me. But was Thomas Organ within their rights to sell copy guitars : under a VOX-TYPE NAME under their agreement in 1969? : ** Jim also commented on one of the posts on the ‘guitarsite’ thread, where a poster : was guessing Voxtons might have been Italian designed, Korean made, and made : earlier than 1967. Jim: : — "None of the info in this link/post is true." : ** Agreed. And I think this comes from the people thinking of the Eko guitar story. : Part of that history is excerpted from Michael Wright’s "Guitar Stories," Book One : here: : http://www.vguitar.com/gstories.htm#eko : ** About whether my Les Paul might have come with Super Distortions orignally, Jim : says: : — "No." : ** Yeah, probably not. : Jim also wrote: : — "Voxton guitars are cheap Japanese ‘Gibson’ style copies and are not considered : collectible Vox instruments." : ** Well, alright. : ** About the serial number / year connection: : — "Probably not, but I don’t know." : ** Thanks to the catalog info, I bet it’s pretty accurate. Unless these guitars were : made a couple years earlier? : ** Another of my questions, "were they made by a ‘known’ overseas guitar maker, for : Thomas Organ?" : — "There were many companies at the time who sold the exact same guitars with : their own names on them. They are called ‘house brands.’" : ** Hmm. Then these may or may not have been made solely for Thomas Organ. I bet : the headstock might help — mine has a darker wood strip in the center, about 3/4" : wide. The top of the headstock has a rounded inward ‘dip’ in the center, with two : inward, 1/4" deep ‘swoops’ to the edges. : ** About whether they might have been sold in England and the US: : — "They were for the US market as far as I know." : ** I don’t know, I’ve seen at least two British websites in which people recall buying : their first guitar, a "Vox copy of a Les Paul." Maybe Vox imported some from Thomas : Organ, or maybe they had their own house brand deal going on. : 02-26-2001 03:20:23 : RE:Voxton Guitars (Thomas Organ) : everheardofem? (modified 0 times) : Greg : Profile | Email : SonicGuy replied: : — "They were sold by Thomas Organ in 1969 and 1970. They were made in the : Orient." : ** Cool. More verification. : — "I do not consider them to be VOX as they do not say VOX. They were an attempt : by Thomas Organ to get cheaper guitars and make a higher profit margin on them. I : think they have negligible collector value, too." : ** It’s not about money of course. Personally I’m interested in the rarity, the oddity : and the story. : ** is the ‘1970’ of the serial number reflective of when they were made? : — "Yes." : ** were they made by a ‘known’ overseas guitar maker, for Thomas Organ? : "Nobody significant, say like an Ibanez." : ** Anybody knopw if 1969 pre-dates the whole Ibanez copy fiasco? : ** were they sold in England as well as America? : — "No they were not. In fact not too many were sold at all, these guitars, and Vox in : America after 1968, were both flops." : ** Again, (from admittedly completely anecdotal stuff that I’ve read) I’m not positive : that there Vox UK wasn’t selling these Voxtons too, or something similar. : 02-26-2001 03:36:19 : RE:Voxton Guitars (Thomas Organ) : everheardofem? (modified 1 times) : Greg : Profile | Email : Duane Wayne from Voxshowroom.com: : — "I have not heard the "Japan" stuff – but I suppose anything is possible. Since you : have a VOXton with Japan markings it could be true." : ** I am going to believe the "Made in Japan" marking on my guitar at least, and since : only it seems to have this marking, I suppose the different models of Voxtons could : have originally come from more than one maker. : — "My understanding is that VOXton guitars were simply left over EKO badged VOX : guitars that Thomas re-badged as VOXton to avoid VOX licensing which they no : longer owned after 1970." : ** This is the most interesting unknown so far, for two reasons: : ** First, is there an Eko connection or not? Reading the information in that "Guitar : Stories" book excerpt (URL above) didn’t shine much light on Eko past the mid-60’s. : WAS Eko making Japanese stuff in 1969, and shopping it to musical instrument : sellers? (And does anybody know if any books about Vox go into this?) : ** Second, let’s say Voxton’s ARE re-badged Eko’s (Eko guitars being middle of the : road products from what I’ve gathered). Well, if the 1969 catalog had them, it all : comes down to when the Thomas Organ licensing agreement ended — again, there’s : the technicality. : — "I don’t know any VOX collectors who consider VOXton guitars to be : "true" VOX guitars even though they technically are the same." : ** X-213-san, you Bastard! You bring shame upon the House of Vox! : "…technically the same", Duane wrote. I think he meant Voxtons are just another : Thomas Organ item that had a Vox-Type label. Reading the abbreviated chronological : history on the Vox website doesn’t clear up the technicality: : 1967 – With the Royston Groups take over of Vox and the Thomas Organ Company’s : control of Vox’s U.S. operation, Tom Jennings resigns. : 1969 – Royston Industries go into liquidation and are put into the hand of the : receiver. After nine mouths of uncertainty the Corinthian Bank becomes the new : owner of Vox. The name changes to Vox Sound Ltd. : 1970 – Vox Sound Ltd is sold to a consortium comprising of John Birch and George : Stowe of Stolec Electronics and the Schroder Bank. : ___________________________ : Thanks again for any replies from Vox Collectors and Vox History buffs. I don’t speak : for the hordes of other Voxton owners, 5 total that I know of, but I’m sure we’ll all be : interested in what anyone can tell us. : 02-26-2001 04:12:32 : RE:Voxton Guitars (Thomas Organ) : everheardofem? (modified 0 times) : Greg : Profile | Email : And, John, fellow Voxton owner, passed along this: : His 175 copy is labeled: : "Vox/Product of Thomas Organ Co.,Sepulvada, Calif. Model X 215, : Ser No 1805033" and, "On the border of the paper, is the following No: : 088-005527-01." : 02-26-2001 04:17:08 : : Post a New Message | Reply this Thread | Printer | Forward : All times are EST : Powered by UltraBoard v1.62 my grandpa bought his voxton in england its an x209 serial#1801166 :

Anonymous

All I can tell you is that 1970 is a good ballpark date. I bought A Voxton dreadnaught-style acoustic 12-string in 1970 (in a small music store in Springfield, Ohio) for about $120. Made in Japan, laminate construction, spruce-and-mahogany, bright tone, headstock like a Martin’s with a small notch in the center. I know Hoshino (aka Ibanez) was making a number of store brands and entry-level lines for other makers at that time. You might want to check with some Ibanez collectors.

Anonymous

: Over the last coupla days, I’ve sent emails to everyone in this thread, and to a bunch of people who know Vox Guitar information. And, I posted a new thread at the bulletin board at http://www.voxtalks.com : In the interest of hopefully getting some new replies here, as well as there, I’m going to cut and paste and keep both updated with each other’s information. : So, the link to the Voxtalks thread: : http://www.voxtalks.com/cgi-bin/UltraBoard/UltraBoard.pl?Action=ShowPost&Board=VT2&Post=16&Idle=0&Sort=0&Order=Descend&Page=0&Session= : And everything so far: : Voxton Guitars : (Thomas Organ) : everheardofem? : I have what.. I think.. may be, might sort of be a Vox guitar — it’s a Voxton. : I searched the net for "Voxton" (nope, it’s not "VoxtRon" on the headstock) and : there’s only one or two pieces of information on the web, anyway, – mostly in a : thread by someone else seeking information, on a different bulletin board (link below). : Here’s all I know so far, I hope someone reading this will be able to share more! : I’m sure most people reading this know a company in Sepulveda CA, Thomas Organ, : sold Vox products and licensed the name in the U.S. Voxton’s were made in Japan for : Thomas Organ — possibly shortly after Thomas Organ merged, or was bought by, : another company, Royston. : ( https://www.guitarsite.com/discussion/messages/3889.shtml ) : (After reading the abbreviated history of Vox on their website, I got the impression : that all kinds of things were going on under the name Vox in the U.S.) : Also from that link — these types of Voxton guitars were mentioned: : – two semi-hollow-bodies, one called "Model X-215", numbered 19700792, with an : inside label that reads, "Voxton / Product of Thomas Organ Co., Sepulveda, Calif." : – a SG-shaped Voxtron bass, hollow bodied with f-holes : – an acoustic : I guess my own Voxton guitar brings the ‘known types’ to Four — it’s a Les Paul copy, : also with a natural blond wood body and a bolt on neck. It doesn’t have an arched : ‘top,’ like a Gibson Les Paul would, and I don’t know if the Super Distortion pickups : that were in the guitar when I bought it are original or not. The plate that bolts the : neck on reads, "Made in Japan" "1970032" (one less ‘0’ than above?). : Things I’m really curious to find out are: : – are these considered "Vox" guitars? : – is the ‘1970’ in the serial number when they were made? : – were they made by a ‘known’ overseas guitar maker, for Thomas Organ? : – were they sold in other places besides the U.S.? : – is it possible that there are only a thousand?, five thousand? Could "Voxton" guitars : be odball rarities? : Thanks very much, : Greg : (I’ve sent emails to Vox, Voxshowroom.com and a handful of other people. And — : anybody have a copy of some books by a Michael Wright, a writer for Vintage Guitar? : I thought I’d found his email, but it came back.) : 02-24-2001 00:35:30 : RE:Voxton Guitars (Thomas Organ) : everheardofem? (modified 0 times) : ihor+boyko : Voxton guitars are featured in probably one of the last Vox catalogs printed around : 1969-1970. This is the catalog with the orange cover where the Beatles are playing : through solid state Vox amps with the amp heads turned around. The 1970 in the : serial # matches the time frame when these would have been made. : The electrics in the catalog include copies of the ES-330 (X-209), ES-175 (X-215), : EB2 Bass (X-212), and Les Paul (X-213). There are also several acoustic 6 and 12 : string Voxton models pictured as well as classic style. : 02-24-2001 16:03:41 : RE:Voxton Guitars (Thomas Organ) : everheardofem? (modified 0 times) : Greg : Profile | Email : ihor+boyko — : Thanks! I read your reply, then I leaned over to my left and said, "Well Konichi Wa, : X-213-san! Next, we’ll straighten out your good Vox name; hopefully." : I noticed Voxshowroom.com sells reprints of most of the 60’s Thomas Organ/Vox : catalogs, but not the now infamous Voxton years of 1969 or so. : 02-26-2001 02:43:07 : RE:Voxton Guitars (Thomas Organ) : everheardofem? (modified 0 times) : Greg : I’ve gotten some email replies since posting my first message. : — Dennis, owner of a Voxton acoustic, reported that his doesn’t say "Made in Japan", : just Thomas Organ and Voxton. : ** Maybe only the electrics and semi’s were Nippon made? Maybe the acoustics were : Italian Eko leftovers or ‘Merican? : 02-26-2001 02:54:25 : RE:Voxton Guitars (Thomas Organ) : everheardofem? (modified 0 times) : Greg : Jim Rhoads of http://www.rhoadsmusic.com replied: : — "Voxton guitars first appeared in the 1969 Vox catalog. These guitars and the : Thomas Organ Vox USA company lasted until about 1970. : Vox in England was aquired by The Royston Group, but Thomas Organ was a separate : company. Thomas had a distribution deal/licensing agreement with Vox UK." : ** Sounds right to me. But was Thomas Organ within their rights to sell copy guitars : under a VOX-TYPE NAME under their agreement in 1969? : ** Jim also commented on one of the posts on the ‘guitarsite’ thread, where a poster : was guessing Voxtons might have been Italian designed, Korean made, and made : earlier than 1967. Jim: : — "None of the info in this link/post is true." : ** Agreed. And I think this comes from the people thinking of the Eko guitar story. : Part of that history is excerpted from Michael Wright’s "Guitar Stories," Book One : here: : http://www.vguitar.com/gstories.htm#eko : ** About whether my Les Paul might have come with Super Distortions orignally, Jim : says: : — "No." : ** Yeah, probably not. : Jim also wrote: : — "Voxton guitars are cheap Japanese ‘Gibson’ style copies and are not considered : collectible Vox instruments." : ** Well, alright. : ** About the serial number / year connection: : — "Probably not, but I don’t know." : ** Thanks to the catalog info, I bet it’s pretty accurate. Unless these guitars were : made a couple years earlier? : ** Another of my questions, "were they made by a ‘known’ overseas guitar maker, for : Thomas Organ?" : — "There were many companies at the time who sold the exact same guitars with : their own names on them. They are called ‘house brands.’" : ** Hmm. Then these may or may not have been made solely for Thomas Organ. I bet : the headstock might help — mine has a darker wood strip in the center, about 3/4" : wide. The top of the headstock has a rounded inward ‘dip’ in the center, with two : inward, 1/4" deep ‘swoops’ to the edges. : ** About whether they might have been sold in England and the US: : — "They were for the US market as far as I know." : ** I don’t know, I’ve seen at least two British websites in which people recall buying : their first guitar, a "Vox copy of a Les Paul." Maybe Vox imported some from Thomas : Organ, or maybe they had their own house brand deal going on. : 02-26-2001 03:20:23 : RE:Voxton Guitars (Thomas Organ) : everheardofem? (modified 0 times) : Greg : Profile | Email : SonicGuy replied: : — "They were sold by Thomas Organ in 1969 and 1970. They were made in the : Orient." : ** Cool. More verification. : — "I do not consider them to be VOX as they do not say VOX. They were an attempt : by Thomas Organ to get cheaper guitars and make a higher profit margin on them. I : think they have negligible collector value, too." : ** It’s not about money of course. Personally I’m interested in the rarity, the oddity : and the story. : ** is the ‘1970’ of the serial number reflective of when they were made? : — "Yes." : ** were they made by a ‘known’ overseas guitar maker, for Thomas Organ? : "Nobody significant, say like an Ibanez." : ** Anybody knopw if 1969 pre-dates the whole Ibanez copy fiasco? : ** were they sold in England as well as America? : — "No they were not. In fact not too many were sold at all, these guitars, and Vox in : America after 1968, were both flops." : ** Again, (from admittedly completely anecdotal stuff that I’ve read) I’m not positive : that there Vox UK wasn’t selling these Voxtons too, or something similar. : 02-26-2001 03:36:19 : RE:Voxton Guitars (Thomas Organ) : everheardofem? (modified 1 times) : Greg : Profile | Email : Duane Wayne from Voxshowroom.com: : — "I have not heard the "Japan" stuff – but I suppose anything is possible. Since you : have a VOXton with Japan markings it could be true." : ** I am going to believe the "Made in Japan" marking on my guitar at least, and since : only it seems to have this marking, I suppose the different models of Voxtons could : have originally come from more than one maker. : — "My understanding is that VOXton guitars were simply left over EKO badged VOX : guitars that Thomas re-badged as VOXton to avoid VOX licensing which they no : longer owned after 1970." : ** This is the most interesting unknown so far, for two reasons: : ** First, is there an Eko connection or not? Reading the information in that "Guitar : Stories" book excerpt (URL above) didn’t shine much light on Eko past the mid-60’s. : WAS Eko making Japanese stuff in 1969, and shopping it to musical instrument : sellers? (And does anybody know if any books about Vox go into this?) : ** Second, let’s say Voxton’s ARE re-badged Eko’s (Eko guitars being middle of the : road products from what I’ve gathered). Well, if the 1969 catalog had them, it all : comes down to when the Thomas Organ licensing agreement ended — again, there’s : the technicality. : — "I don’t know any VOX collectors who consider VOXton guitars to be : "true" VOX guitars even though they technically are the same." : ** X-213-san, you Bastard! You bring shame upon the House of Vox! : "…technically the same", Duane wrote. I think he meant Voxtons are just another : Thomas Organ item that had a Vox-Type label. Reading the abbreviated chronological : history on the Vox website doesn’t clear up the technicality: : 1967 – With the Royston Groups take over of Vox and the Thomas Organ Company’s : control of Vox’s U.S. operation, Tom Jennings resigns. : 1969 – Royston Industries go into liquidation and are put into the hand of the : receiver. After nine mouths of uncertainty the Corinthian Bank becomes the new : owner of Vox. The name changes to Vox Sound Ltd. : 1970 – Vox Sound Ltd is sold to a consortium comprising of John Birch and George : Stowe of Stolec Electronics and the Schroder Bank. : ___________________________ : Thanks again for any replies from Vox Collectors and Vox History buffs. I don’t speak : for the hordes of other Voxton owners, 5 total that I know of, but I’m sure we’ll all be : interested in what anyone can tell us. : 02-26-2001 04:12:32 : RE:Voxton Guitars (Thomas Organ) : everheardofem? (modified 0 times) : Greg : Profile | Email : And, John, fellow Voxton owner, passed along this: : His 175 copy is labeled: : "Vox/Product of Thomas Organ Co.,Sepulvada, Calif. Model X 215, : Ser No 1805033" and, "On the border of the paper, is the following No: : 088-005527-01." : 02-26-2001 04:17:08 : : Post a New Message | Reply this Thread | Printer | Forward : All times are EST : Powered by UltraBoard v1.62 : I also own a VOXTON guitar I resintly got it from my father. The label reads Model: X-203 Serial#: 1798459 VOX/Produt of Thomas Organ Co., sepulveda,calif. but the #’s on the bottom of the label are 088-005524-01. It has one dip in the top center about 3/4ths inch deep, and there is a design around the center with matching shoulder strap. There are no markings of Made in Japan. How rare are these things. Anybody with other info please e-mail me, thanks.

Anonymous

I bought a used Voxton 12 string in 1976 while stationed in Iwakuni, Japan. I am having it repaired (age has taken a toll on the glue). the person who is repairing it said it was made right as it is designed to be adjusted. Brian : Over the last coupla days, I’ve sent emails to everyone in this thread, and to a bunch of people who know Vox Guitar information. And, I posted a new thread at the bulletin board at http://www.voxtalks.com : In the interest of hopefully getting some new replies here, as well as there, I’m going to cut and paste and keep both updated with each other’s information. : So, the link to the Voxtalks thread: : http://www.voxtalks.com/cgi-bin/UltraBoard/UltraBoard.pl?Action=ShowPost&Board=VT2&Post=16&Idle=0&Sort=0&Order=Descend&Page=0&Session= : And everything so far: : Voxton Guitars : (Thomas Organ) : everheardofem? : I have what.. I think.. may be, might sort of be a Vox guitar — it’s a Voxton. : I searched the net for "Voxton" (nope, it’s not "VoxtRon" on the headstock) and : there’s only one or two pieces of information on the web, anyway, – mostly in a : thread by someone else seeking information, on a different bulletin board (link below). : Here’s all I know so far, I hope someone reading this will be able to share more! : I’m sure most people reading this know a company in Sepulveda CA, Thomas Organ, : sold Vox products and licensed the name in the U.S. Voxton’s were made in Japan for : Thomas Organ — possibly shortly after Thomas Organ merged, or was bought by, : another company, Royston. : ( https://www.guitarsite.com/discussion/messages/3889.shtml ) : (After reading the abbreviated history of Vox on their website, I got the impression : that all kinds of things were going on under the name Vox in the U.S.) : Also from that link — these types of Voxton guitars were mentioned: : – two semi-hollow-bodies, one called "Model X-215", numbered 19700792, with an : inside label that reads, "Voxton / Product of Thomas Organ Co., Sepulveda, Calif." : – a SG-shaped Voxtron bass, hollow bodied with f-holes : – an acoustic : I guess my own Voxton guitar brings the ‘known types’ to Four — it’s a Les Paul copy, : also with a natural blond wood body and a bolt on neck. It doesn’t have an arched : ‘top,’ like a Gibson Les Paul would, and I don’t know if the Super Distortion pickups : that were in the guitar when I bought it are original or not. The plate that bolts the : neck on reads, "Made in Japan" "1970032" (one less ‘0’ than above?). : Things I’m really curious to find out are: : – are these considered "Vox" guitars? : – is the ‘1970’ in the serial number when they were made? : – were they made by a ‘known’ overseas guitar maker, for Thomas Organ? : – were they sold in other places besides the U.S.? : – is it possible that there are only a thousand?, five thousand? Could "Voxton" guitars : be odball rarities? : Thanks very much, : Greg : (I’ve sent emails to Vox, Voxshowroom.com and a handful of other people. And — : anybody have a copy of some books by a Michael Wright, a writer for Vintage Guitar? : I thought I’d found his email, but it came back.) : 02-24-2001 00:35:30 : RE:Voxton Guitars (Thomas Organ) : everheardofem? (modified 0 times) : ihor+boyko : Voxton guitars are featured in probably one of the last Vox catalogs printed around : 1969-1970. This is the catalog with the orange cover where the Beatles are playing : through solid state Vox amps with the amp heads turned around. The 1970 in the : serial # matches the time frame when these would have been made. : The electrics in the catalog include copies of the ES-330 (X-209), ES-175 (X-215), : EB2 Bass (X-212), and Les Paul (X-213). There are also several acoustic 6 and 12 : string Voxton models pictured as well as classic style. : 02-24-2001 16:03:41 : RE:Voxton Guitars (Thomas Organ) : everheardofem? (modified 0 times) : Greg : Profile | Email : ihor+boyko — : Thanks! I read your reply, then I leaned over to my left and said, "Well Konichi Wa, : X-213-san! Next, we’ll straighten out your good Vox name; hopefully." : I noticed Voxshowroom.com sells reprints of most of the 60’s Thomas Organ/Vox : catalogs, but not the now infamous Voxton years of 1969 or so. : 02-26-2001 02:43:07 : RE:Voxton Guitars (Thomas Organ) : everheardofem? (modified 0 times) : Greg : I’ve gotten some email replies since posting my first message. : — Dennis, owner of a Voxton acoustic, reported that his doesn’t say "Made in Japan", : just Thomas Organ and Voxton. : ** Maybe only the electrics and semi’s were Nippon made? Maybe the acoustics were : Italian Eko leftovers or ‘Merican? : 02-26-2001 02:54:25 : RE:Voxton Guitars (Thomas Organ) : everheardofem? (modified 0 times) : Greg : Jim Rhoads of http://www.rhoadsmusic.com replied: : — "Voxton guitars first appeared in the 1969 Vox catalog. These guitars and the : Thomas Organ Vox USA company lasted until about 1970. : Vox in England was aquired by The Royston Group, but Thomas Organ was a separate : company. Thomas had a distribution deal/licensing agreement with Vox UK." : ** Sounds right to me. But was Thomas Organ within their rights to sell copy guitars : under a VOX-TYPE NAME under their agreement in 1969? : ** Jim also commented on one of the posts on the ‘guitarsite’ thread, where a poster : was guessing Voxtons might have been Italian designed, Korean made, and made : earlier than 1967. Jim: : — "None of the info in this link/post is true." : ** Agreed. And I think this comes from the people thinking of the Eko guitar story. : Part of that history is excerpted from Michael Wright’s "Guitar Stories," Book One : here: : http://www.vguitar.com/gstories.htm#eko : ** About whether my Les Paul might have come with Super Distortions orignally, Jim : says: : — "No." : ** Yeah, probably not. : Jim also wrote: : — "Voxton guitars are cheap Japanese ‘Gibson’ style copies and are not considered : collectible Vox instruments." : ** Well, alright. : ** About the serial number / year connection: : — "Probably not, but I don’t know." : ** Thanks to the catalog info, I bet it’s pretty accurate. Unless these guitars were : made a couple years earlier? : ** Another of my questions, "were they made by a ‘known’ overseas guitar maker, for : Thomas Organ?" : — "There were many companies at the time who sold the exact same guitars with : their own names on them. They are called ‘house brands.’" : ** Hmm. Then these may or may not have been made solely for Thomas Organ. I bet : the headstock might help — mine has a darker wood strip in the center, about 3/4" : wide. The top of the headstock has a rounded inward ‘dip’ in the center, with two : inward, 1/4" deep ‘swoops’ to the edges. : ** About whether they might have been sold in England and the US: : — "They were for the US market as far as I know." : ** I don’t know, I’ve seen at least two British websites in which people recall buying : their first guitar, a "Vox copy of a Les Paul." Maybe Vox imported some from Thomas : Organ, or maybe they had their own house brand deal going on. : 02-26-2001 03:20:23 : RE:Voxton Guitars (Thomas Organ) : everheardofem? (modified 0 times) : Greg : Profile | Email : SonicGuy replied: : — "They were sold by Thomas Organ in 1969 and 1970. They were made in the : Orient." : ** Cool. More verification. : — "I do not consider them to be VOX as they do not say VOX. They were an attempt : by Thomas Organ to get cheaper guitars and make a higher profit margin on them. I : think they have negligible collector value, too." : ** It’s not about money of course. Personally I’m interested in the rarity, the oddity : and the story. : ** is the ‘1970’ of the serial number reflective of when they were made? : — "Yes." : ** were they made by a ‘known’ overseas guitar maker, for Thomas Organ? : "Nobody significant, say like an Ibanez." : ** Anybody knopw if 1969 pre-dates the whole Ibanez copy fiasco? : ** were they sold in England as well as America? : — "No they were not. In fact not too many were sold at all, these guitars, and Vox in : America after 1968, were both flops." : ** Again, (from admittedly completely anecdotal stuff that I’ve read) I’m not positive : that there Vox UK wasn’t selling these Voxtons too, or something similar. : 02-26-2001 03:36:19 : RE:Voxton Guitars (Thomas Organ) : everheardofem? (modified 1 times) : Greg : Profile | Email : Duane Wayne from Voxshowroom.com: : — "I have not heard the "Japan" stuff – but I suppose anything is possible. Since you : have a VOXton with Japan markings it could be true." : ** I am going to believe the "Made in Japan" marking on my guitar at least, and since : only it seems to have this marking, I suppose the different models of Voxtons could : have originally come from more than one maker. : — "My understanding is that VOXton guitars were simply left over EKO badged VOX : guitars that Thomas re-badged as VOXton to avoid VOX licensing which they no : longer owned after 1970." : ** This is the most interesting unknown so far, for two reasons: : ** First, is there an Eko connection or not? Reading the information in that "Guitar : Stories" book excerpt (URL above) didn’t shine much light on Eko past the mid-60’s. : WAS Eko making Japanese stuff in 1969, and shopping it to musical instrument : sellers? (And does anybody know if any books about Vox go into this?) : ** Second, let’s say Voxton’s ARE re-badged Eko’s (Eko guitars being middle of the : road products from what I’ve gathered). Well, if the 1969 catalog had them, it all : comes down to when the Thomas Organ licensing agreement ended — again, there’s : the technicality. : — "I don’t know any VOX collectors who consider VOXton guitars to be : "true" VOX guitars even though they technically are the same." : ** X-213-san, you Bastard! You bring shame upon the House of Vox! : "…technically the same", Duane wrote. I think he meant Voxtons are just another : Thomas Organ item that had a Vox-Type label. Reading the abbreviated chronological : history on the Vox website doesn’t clear up the technicality: : 1967 – With the Royston Groups take over of Vox and the Thomas Organ Company’s : control of Vox’s U.S. operation, Tom Jennings resigns. : 1969 – Royston Industries go into liquidation and are put into the hand of the : receiver. After nine mouths of uncertainty the Corinthian Bank becomes the new : owner of Vox. The name changes to Vox Sound Ltd. : 1970 – Vox Sound Ltd is sold to a consortium comprising of John Birch and George : Stowe of Stolec Electronics and the Schroder Bank. : ___________________________ : Thanks again for any replies from Vox Collectors and Vox History buffs. I don’t speak : for the hordes of other Voxton owners, 5 total that I know of, but I’m sure we’ll all be : interested in what anyone can tell us. : 02-26-2001 04:12:32 : RE:Voxton Guitars (Thomas Organ) : everheardofem? (modified 0 times) : Greg : Profile | Email : And, John, fellow Voxton owner, passed along this: : His 175 copy is labeled: : "Vox/Product of Thomas Organ Co.,Sepulvada, Calif. Model X 215, : Ser No 1805033" and, "On the border of the paper, is the following No: : 088-005527-01." : 02-26-2001 04:17:08 : : Post a New Message | Reply this Thread | Printer | Forward : All times are EST : Powered by UltraBoard v1.62 :

Anonymous

: Over the last coupla days, I’ve sent emails to everyone in this thread, and to a bunch of people who know Vox Guitar information. And, I posted a new thread at the bulletin board at http://www.voxtalks.com : In the interest of hopefully getting some new replies here, as well as there, I’m going to cut and paste and keep both updated with each other’s information. : So, the link to the Voxtalks thread: : http://www.voxtalks.com/cgi-bin/UltraBoard/UltraBoard.pl?Action=ShowPost&Board=VT2&Post=16&Idle=0&Sort=0&Order=Descend&Page=0&Session= : And everything so far: : Voxton Guitars : (Thomas Organ) : everheardofem? : I have what.. I think.. may be, might sort of be a Vox guitar — it’s a Voxton. : I searched the net for "Voxton" (nope, it’s not "VoxtRon" on the headstock) and : there’s only one or two pieces of information on the web, anyway, – mostly in a : thread by someone else seeking information, on a different bulletin board (link below). : Here’s all I know so far, I hope someone reading this will be able to share more! : I’m sure most people reading this know a company in Sepulveda CA, Thomas Organ, : sold Vox products and licensed the name in the U.S. Voxton’s were made in Japan for : Thomas Organ — possibly shortly after Thomas Organ merged, or was bought by, : another company, Royston. : ( https://www.guitarsite.com/discussion/messages/3889.shtml ) : (After reading the abbreviated history of Vox on their website, I got the impression : that all kinds of things were going on under the name Vox in the U.S.) : Also from that link — these types of Voxton guitars were mentioned: : – two semi-hollow-bodies, one called "Model X-215", numbered 19700792, with an : inside label that reads, "Voxton / Product of Thomas Organ Co., Sepulveda, Calif." : – a SG-shaped Voxtron bass, hollow bodied with f-holes : – an acoustic : I guess my own Voxton guitar brings the ‘known types’ to Four — it’s a Les Paul copy, : also with a natural blond wood body and a bolt on neck. It doesn’t have an arched : ‘top,’ like a Gibson Les Paul would, and I don’t know if the Super Distortion pickups : that were in the guitar when I bought it are original or not. The plate that bolts the : neck on reads, "Made in Japan" "1970032" (one less ‘0’ than above?). : Things I’m really curious to find out are: : – are these considered "Vox" guitars? : – is the ‘1970’ in the serial number when they were made? : – were they made by a ‘known’ overseas guitar maker, for Thomas Organ? : – were they sold in other places besides the U.S.? : – is it possible that there are only a thousand?, five thousand? Could "Voxton" guitars : be odball rarities? : Thanks very much, : Greg : (I’ve sent emails to Vox, Voxshowroom.com and a handful of other people. And — : anybody have a copy of some books by a Michael Wright, a writer for Vintage Guitar? : I thought I’d found his email, but it came back.) : 02-24-2001 00:35:30 : RE:Voxton Guitars (Thomas Organ) : everheardofem? (modified 0 times) : ihor+boyko : Voxton guitars are featured in probably one of the last Vox catalogs printed around : 1969-1970. This is the catalog with the orange cover where the Beatles are playing : through solid state Vox amps with the amp heads turned around. The 1970 in the : serial # matches the time frame when these would have been made. : The electrics in the catalog include copies of the ES-330 (X-209), ES-175 (X-215), : EB2 Bass (X-212), and Les Paul (X-213). There are also several acoustic 6 and 12 : string Voxton models pictured as well as classic style. : 02-24-2001 16:03:41 : RE:Voxton Guitars (Thomas Organ) : everheardofem? (modified 0 times) : Greg : Profile | Email : ihor+boyko — : Thanks! I read your reply, then I leaned over to my left and said, "Well Konichi Wa, : X-213-san! Next, we’ll straighten out your good Vox name; hopefully." : I noticed Voxshowroom.com sells reprints of most of the 60’s Thomas Organ/Vox : catalogs, but not the now infamous Voxton years of 1969 or so. : 02-26-2001 02:43:07 : RE:Voxton Guitars (Thomas Organ) : everheardofem? (modified 0 times) : Greg : I’ve gotten some email replies since posting my first message. : — Dennis, owner of a Voxton acoustic, reported that his doesn’t say "Made in Japan", : just Thomas Organ and Voxton. : ** Maybe only the electrics and semi’s were Nippon made? Maybe the acoustics were : Italian Eko leftovers or ‘Merican? : 02-26-2001 02:54:25 : RE:Voxton Guitars (Thomas Organ) : everheardofem? (modified 0 times) : Greg : Jim Rhoads of http://www.rhoadsmusic.com replied: : — "Voxton guitars first appeared in the 1969 Vox catalog. These guitars and the : Thomas Organ Vox USA company lasted until about 1970. : Vox in England was aquired by The Royston Group, but Thomas Organ was a separate : company. Thomas had a distribution deal/licensing agreement with Vox UK." : ** Sounds right to me. But was Thomas Organ within their rights to sell copy guitars : under a VOX-TYPE NAME under their agreement in 1969? : ** Jim also commented on one of the posts on the ‘guitarsite’ thread, where a poster : was guessing Voxtons might have been Italian designed, Korean made, and made : earlier than 1967. Jim: : — "None of the info in this link/post is true." : ** Agreed. And I think this comes from the people thinking of the Eko guitar story. : Part of that history is excerpted from Michael Wright’s "Guitar Stories," Book One : here: : http://www.vguitar.com/gstories.htm#eko : ** About whether my Les Paul might have come with Super Distortions orignally, Jim : says: : — "No." : ** Yeah, probably not. : Jim also wrote: : — "Voxton guitars are cheap Japanese ‘Gibson’ style copies and are not considered : collectible Vox instruments." : ** Well, alright. : ** About the serial number / year connection: : — "Probably not, but I don’t know." : ** Thanks to the catalog info, I bet it’s pretty accurate. Unless these guitars were : made a couple years earlier? : ** Another of my questions, "were they made by a ‘known’ overseas guitar maker, for : Thomas Organ?" : — "There were many companies at the time who sold the exact same guitars with : their own names on them. They are called ‘house brands.’" : ** Hmm. Then these may or may not have been made solely for Thomas Organ. I bet : the headstock might help — mine has a darker wood strip in the center, about 3/4" : wide. The top of the headstock has a rounded inward ‘dip’ in the center, with two : inward, 1/4" deep ‘swoops’ to the edges. : ** About whether they might have been sold in England and the US: : — "They were for the US market as far as I know." : ** I don’t know, I’ve seen at least two British websites in which people recall buying : their first guitar, a "Vox copy of a Les Paul." Maybe Vox imported some from Thomas : Organ, or maybe they had their own house brand deal going on. : 02-26-2001 03:20:23 : RE:Voxton Guitars (Thomas Organ) : everheardofem? (modified 0 times) : Greg : Profile | Email : SonicGuy replied: : — "They were sold by Thomas Organ in 1969 and 1970. They were made in the : Orient." : ** Cool. More verification. : — "I do not consider them to be VOX as they do not say VOX. They were an attempt : by Thomas Organ to get cheaper guitars and make a higher profit margin on them. I : think they have negligible collector value, too." : ** It’s not about money of course. Personally I’m interested in the rarity, the oddity : and the story. : ** is the ‘1970’ of the serial number reflective of when they were made? : — "Yes." : ** were they made by a ‘known’ overseas guitar maker, for Thomas Organ? : "Nobody significant, say like an Ibanez." : ** Anybody knopw if 1969 pre-dates the whole Ibanez copy fiasco? : ** were they sold in England as well as America? : — "No they were not. In fact not too many were sold at all, these guitars, and Vox in : America after 1968, were both flops." : ** Again, (from admittedly completely anecdotal stuff that I’ve read) I’m not positive : that there Vox UK wasn’t selling these Voxtons too, or something similar. : 02-26-2001 03:36:19 : RE:Voxton Guitars (Thomas Organ) : everheardofem? (modified 1 times) : Greg : Profile | Email : Duane Wayne from Voxshowroom.com: : — "I have not heard the "Japan" stuff – but I suppose anything is possible. Since you : have a VOXton with Japan markings it could be true." : ** I am going to believe the "Made in Japan" marking on my guitar at least, and since : only it seems to have this marking, I suppose the different models of Voxtons could : have originally come from more than one maker. : — "My understanding is that VOXton guitars were simply left over EKO badged VOX : guitars that Thomas re-badged as VOXton to avoid VOX licensing which they no : longer owned after 1970." : ** This is the most interesting unknown so far, for two reasons: : ** First, is there an Eko connection or not? Reading the information in that "Guitar : Stories" book excerpt (URL above) didn’t shine much light on Eko past the mid-60’s. : WAS Eko making Japanese stuff in 1969, and shopping it to musical instrument : sellers? (And does anybody know if any books about Vox go into this?) : ** Second, let’s say Voxton’s ARE re-badged Eko’s (Eko guitars being middle of the : road products from what I’ve gathered). Well, if the 1969 catalog had them, it all : comes down to when the Thomas Organ licensing agreement ended — again, there’s : the technicality. : — "I don’t know any VOX collectors who consider VOXton guitars to be : "true" VOX guitars even though they technically are the same." : ** X-213-san, you Bastard! You bring shame upon the House of Vox! : "…technically the same", Duane wrote. I think he meant Voxtons are just another : Thomas Organ item that had a Vox-Type label. Reading the abbreviated chronological : history on the Vox website doesn’t clear up the technicality: : 1967 – With the Royston Groups take over of Vox and the Thomas Organ Company’s : control of Vox’s U.S. operation, Tom Jennings resigns. : 1969 – Royston Industries go into liquidation and are put into the hand of the : receiver. After nine mouths of uncertainty the Corinthian Bank becomes the new : owner of Vox. The name changes to Vox Sound Ltd. : 1970 – Vox Sound Ltd is sold to a consortium comprising of John Birch and George : Stowe of Stolec Electronics and the Schroder Bank. : ___________________________ : Thanks again for any replies from Vox Collectors and Vox History buffs. I don’t speak : for the hordes of other Voxton owners, 5 total that I know of, but I’m sure we’ll all be : interested in what anyone can tell us. : 02-26-2001 04:12:32 : RE:Voxton Guitars (Thomas Organ) : everheardofem? (modified 0 times) : Greg : Profile | Email : And, John, fellow Voxton owner, passed along this: : His 175 copy is labeled: : "Vox/Product of Thomas Organ Co.,Sepulvada, Calif. Model X 215, : Ser No 1805033" and, "On the border of the paper, is the following No: : 088-005527-01." : 02-26-2001 04:17:08 : : Post a New Message | Reply this Thread | Printer | Forward : All times are EST : Powered by UltraBoard v1.62 : You can add my father as one more VOXTON acoustic owner to your list. He bought it, he says, 35 or maybe even 40 years ago brand new. He traded a good Gibson plus $300 for it back then. Model X203 serial number 1798237

Anonymous

I HAVE A VOXTON ELECTRIC GUITAR THAT IS HOLLOW, NO F HOLES, BUT SHAPED LIKE A LES PAUL. VERY LIGHT AND HAS A SUNBURST WITH TOBACCO OUTER. I RECONDITIONED IT AND SOUND REALLY COOL TO ME. BOTTOM IS GLASSIE AS TOP IS VERY FAT AND WARM. IT HAS 2 HUM. WITH WOOD SHIMS UNDER THE COILS.I LOOKED EVERYWHERE BUT NO INFO. IF SOME ONE COULD HELP WITH SOME HISTORY AND TYPE OF PICKS THEY USED. ALSO WHERE IT MAY HAVE BEEN MADE. THERE IS ONLY A SERIAL # ON IT. THE CONSTRUCTION ON IT IS VERY GOOD WITH A SOLID WOOD BEAM 3" WIDE RUNNING FROM NECK TO BRIDGE. ALL SEEMS ARE HIDDEN TOO. DATE TO ME SAYS 59 MAYBE 60 CAUSE OF THE PICK UPS. THE 2 T AND V KNOBS ARE ALUM. AND EVERYTHING ON THE GUITAR IS GOLD PLATED, COVER, BRIDGE, KNOBS EVEN FRETS. THE GOLD HAD ALOT OF WEAR SO I POLISHED IT ALL OF BACK TO THE CROME UNDERNETH. SHINES REAL GOOD. I PUT ALOT OF TIME INTO IT.WOULDBE FINISHED JUST NEED HISTORY, THANK YOU.

Anonymous

Hi John: I too have a Voxton guitar, just acoustic; It plays great and I have had it for over 20 years… it was used when I got it.

The Voxton, as near as I can figure, was made by the Thomas Organ company after they merged with Royston company. I believe they were designed by an Italian guitar maker, but do not have the proof. I was told by seberal guitar shops it is probably Korean made. I fail to agree as of yet. Sent a photo of yours if you have the equipment to do so. They seem to be a solid made guitar. Let me know if you get this mail. Dennis

Anonymous

HI i have a Voxton guitar model number X-209 it is an (electric) wondering if you might know how much it might be worth?? We were told it was bought as a used guitar in 1967 could you help us out???

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.