Homepage Forums Discussion Popular Topics Yamaha SF500 SuperFlighter

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

I’ve seen this 2nd hand guitar in my local shop for about £165. It’s a Yamaha SF500 SuperFlighter (or possibly Fighter); it’s beat up but looks cool, two humbuckers with indepenent vol and tone, a bit like a Les Paul but bigger and not as asymetrical. Only thing is I can’t tell the difference between a good guitar and bad, as far as sound’s concerned. Anyone know if this is/was an expensive model, or just a bottom-of-the-range Squier-type thing?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

i have a yamaha sf500 which i obtained brand new about 1977 as far as i know they were only made in 2 colours (wine my one ) or a creamy white colour.it probably cost then about £350.00 it is in great condition with original case but sadly i had a slight accident about 12 years ago wheras the neck was broken. i through a mate of mine got in touch with a guy called ray cooper who lived in hertfordshire. he used to build and repair guitars for the well known of artists including george harrison he built a custom kneck made of mahogany and rosewood and to this day it is as straight and true as they come. his trade mark was a dolphin inlaid at the top of the neck in mother of pearl. anybody interested in this great instrument i would be happy to hear from.

Anonymous

: I’ve seen this 2nd hand guitar in my local shop for
      : about £165. It’s a Yamaha SF500 SuperFlighter (or possibly
      : Fighter); it’s
      : beat up but looks cool, two humbuckers with indepenent
      : vol and tone, a bit like a Les Paul but bigger and
      : not as asymetrical. Only thing is I can’t tell
      : the difference between a good guitar and bad,
      : as far as sound’s concerned. Anyone know if this
      : is/was an expensive model, or just a bottom-of-the-range
      : Squier-type thing?

I’ve got one, I play and gig with it often, it’s a great guitar but unfortunately I can find out very little about it anywhere. If you get any feedback I’d love to hear about it. A really good 70’s (I think) guitar, Shoukd be a classic, but unfortunately being Japanese probably never will be

Anonymous

: : I’ve seen this 2nd hand guitar in my local shop for : : about £165. It’s a Yamaha SF500 SuperFlighter (or possibly : : Fighter); it’s : : beat up but looks cool, two humbuckers with indepenent : : vol and tone, a bit like a Les Paul but bigger and : : not as asymetrical. Only thing is I can’t tell : : the difference between a good guitar and bad, : : as far as sound’s concerned. Anyone know if this : : is/was an expensive model, or just a bottom-of-the-range : : Squier-type thing? : : I’ve got one, I play and gig with it often, it’s a great guitar but unfortunately I can find out very little about it anywhere. If you get any feedback I’d love to hear about it. A really good 70’s (I think) guitar, Shoukd be a classic, but unfortunately being Japanese probably never will be hey we’ve all got one/had one but how much do you reckon these babies are worth now? I heard one was posted on ebay for £101 but had gone by the time i looked.

Anonymous

Hi, has anyone any additional information on this guitar? It’s really difficult finding anything on the net.

Anonymous

Hi, i have a Sf700 which i presume is similiar (twin humbuckers) and weighs a ton and half (alder body), everybody who sees it says WOW and no its not for sale, Martyn………

Anonymous

:Purchased my sf500 in1982 for about 300 quid new.I didnt know anything about it but it was within my price range (just)and the salesman was good!However,it has proved to be one of the best guitars ive ever owned or played,with beautiful action and a cutting sound perfect for hard rock/metal etc.Incidentaly,after three years I was able at last to buy a Gibson SG (AC/DC being my favourite band at the time)thinking that the Yamaha would be retired to the back bedroom. It didnt take long to realise that I had made a mistake, and altho I still have both guitars I rarley play the Gibson!

Anonymous

: Hi, has anyone any additional information on this guitar? It’s really difficult finding anything on the net. reply I bought one of these guitars in about 1981 . It was one of a range of three fairly similar twin humbucker ed guitars from yamaha sf500 sf700 and sf1000. the main diference was that the sf500 did not have coil taps on the pick ups. when I bought mine it cost about £200 (uk), the body was made of mahogany and another wood something like luan( I can not remember exactly) the neck,which was bolted on, was mahogany with a rosewood finger board.it was built along Gibson lines ,that is if the yamaha sg2000 series was like a les paul the sf500 was similar to an SG,though the horns were more aesymetric. I traded mine in when I bought a telecaster,I thought I could not justify having both, but have regretted it ever since. It is not that the telecaster is in anyway bad,it was what I needed at the time, I just wished I had kept both. the sf500 was a good guitar and anyone that played mine was impressed with the build quality and playability. I had many hours playing inthe bedroom with it but never used for gigs which the tele was suited for but it would have been nice to have it as a back up sandy

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.