Homepage Forums Discussion Popular Topics Artificial Harmonics –DRIve Me NUtS!…i need help from pros!!!

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

Hey anyone who will help me out on this
    I was reading up on this site to learn how to do an artificial harmonic ,,,,,i understand you have to pick then slight pluck with your thumb….anymore tips to make it easier to come out….and when it does come out..what should i be listening for, from what i know it should be a Squealing type sound?…please anyone help me out!

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

: Hey anyone who will help me out on this : I was reading up on this site to learn how to do an artificial harmonic ,,,,,i understand you have to pick then slight pluck with your thumb….anymore tips to make it easier to come out….and when it does come out..what should i be listening for, from what i know it should be a Squealing type sound?…please anyone help me out!

Anonymous

artificial harmonics are basically created by holding the pick between your thumb and second finger and plucking the string with the pick while lightly touching the string one octive up from the fretted note with your first finger.

Anonymous

im not a pro by any means, but i have some tips on hitting those artificial harmonics. step one: crank up the gain or distortion step two: crank up the treble- also called highs, or prescence- on both the guitar and on your pedal/amp step three: what mike said is exactly right, but here is what i do exactly: When i pick regularly I hold my pick so my thumb is very close to the end of the pick but not so it hits the string when the pick hits the string, this is a sort of loose grip on the pick. then when i want an artificial harmonic i squeeze the pick and some of my thumb overlaps the end of the pick and it lightly brushes the string, making the guitar sing. of course it takes time to learn how to do that, so start off by playing the note with your pick and lightly brushing the string with your thumb. you should hear the actual note and then after you brush it you hear the harmonic. after a while you’ll be able to just play the harmonic. once you get the hang of artificial harmonics with the distortion, you can take it away and you’ll probably be able to make one on an acoustic step four: practice, practice, practice some more…and then when your tired of practicing practice for another thirty minutes thats all i got to offer. I had a lot of trouble with these at first but not i can throw one in whenever i want. dont forget that this is a more intermediate technique, beginners should try to master the basics of chords, scales, picking techniques, and natural harmonics before attempting to learn how to play artificial harmonics.

Anonymous

An artificial harmonic is a pretty high-pitched squealing sound – very cool if you can get it! Dave Gilmour uses them well on the 2nd ‘Comfortably Numb’ solo off ‘The Wall’. You usually only play them with lotsa distortion. I play them by holding the end of my pick close to the ends of my thumb and forefinger. Strike the string with your pick, but follow up with the end of your thumb. The trick is to brush your thumb past the string very lightly, and quickly. Don’t leave it on the string, and don’t dampen it with your thumb either! Practice makes perfect! Hope this helps

Anonymous

yup thats the easiest way to get em, another way is to use the pick or fleshy part of finger and let your nail lightly touch the string as it goes by. Listen to zack wylde for artifical/pinch harmonics. : An artificial harmonic is a pretty high-pitched squealing sound – very cool if you can get it! Dave Gilmour uses them well on the 2nd ‘Comfortably Numb’ solo off ‘The Wall’. : You usually only play them with lotsa distortion. : I play them by holding the end of my pick close to the ends of my thumb and forefinger. Strike the string with your pick, but follow up with the end of your thumb. The trick is to brush your thumb past the string very lightly, and quickly. Don’t leave it on the string, and don’t dampen it with your thumb either! : Practice makes perfect! : Hope this helps

Anonymous

What’s the difference b/n artifical and pinch harmonics?

Anonymous

: What’s the difference b/n artifical and pinch harmonics? There is no difference really. Pinch harmonics referes to a way of playing artificial harmonics by ‘pinching’ the string – they both produce artificial harmonics

Anonymous

yeah sorry to confuse ya, I pinch mainly cuz I don’t use a pick much and soundwise I consider the 2 techniques seperate, but both are artificial. : : What’s the difference b/n artifical and pinch harmonics? : There is no difference really. Pinch harmonics referes to a way of playing artificial harmonics by ‘pinching’ the string – they both produce artificial harmonics

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.