Homepage Forums Discussion Popular Topics Martin japanese copy

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

I have a Japanese copy of a 1970 Martin D-18 that I bought in 1972 for about $200. It’s labeled "Picador" and is a D-18 copy apparently made with solid spruce book-matched top and solid Rosewood back and sides. The seller said it was made for Martin in Japan before they had the Sigma line. Does anybody out there know anything about this? In 1973 I paid $225 for this and $275 for a matching 12-string (which I sold years ago). Thanks [email protected]

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

I have a sigma, bought new in 1983 at Finkelsteins Music Wilmington N.C., ($ around 200 w/ soft case) the neck says sigma guitars, established 1970 and the body sticker says Picador made in Korea. It sounds like the one mentioned a bit smaller D with slightly narrower fretboard and shorter scale. But it’s mahogany back/sides and a sunburst. with black/white/b/w/b/w binding on body it’s a great player. The neck is very thick. The body serial is 234015 and the serial on the neck heel is 061302. I also saw someone mention Picadors being sold in the Netherlands and said the company also had a hand in making Vega. I figure it could be a transition model from the time sigma was switching factories from Japan to Korea. All said it’s a nice playing and sounding guitar.

Anonymous

: I have a Japanese copy of a 1970 Martin D-18 that I bought in 1972 for about $200. It’s labeled "Picador" and is a D-18 copy apparently made with solid spruce book-matched top and solid Rosewood back and sides. The seller said it was made for Martin in Japan before they had the Sigma line. Does anybody out there know anything about this? In 1973 I paid $225 for this and $275 for a matching 12-string (which I sold years ago). : Thanks : [email protected] if you find out anything about this i would like to know myself ii have a picador the sticker from the inside was gone when i got it it looks like a d28 copy it sounds great. hope you find out something. RUSTY BROWN

Anonymous

: : I have a Japanese copy of a 1970 Martin D-18 that I bought in 1972 for about $200. It’s labeled "Picador" and is a D-18 copy apparently made with solid spruce book-matched top and solid Rosewood back and sides. The seller said it was made for Martin in Japan before they had the Sigma line. Does anybody out there know anything about this? In 1973 I paid $225 for this and $275 for a matching 12-string (which I sold years ago). : : Thanks : : [email protected] : if you find out anything about this i would like to know myself ii have a picador the sticker from the inside was gone when i got it it looks like a d28 copy it sounds great. hope you find out something. RUSTY BROWN I also have a Sigma guitar with the Picador sticker that looks like a downsized Martin D-18…..black binding, split rosewood back…..it sounds great, but I can’t find anything out about it. I gave $50.00 for it on eBay….If anybody knows anything about this brand send me an e-mail…..there are 0 reviews on Harmony Central.

Anonymous

: : : I have a Japanese copy of a 1970 Martin D-18 that I bought in 1972 for about $200. It’s labeled "Picador" and is a D-18 copy apparently made with solid spruce book-matched top and solid Rosewood back and sides. The seller said it was made for Martin in Japan before they had the Sigma line. Does anybody out there know anything about this? In 1973 I paid $225 for this and $275 for a matching 12-string (which I sold years ago). : : : Thanks : : : [email protected] : : if you find out anything about this i would like to know myself ii have a picador the sticker from the inside was gone when i got it it looks like a d28 copy it sounds great. hope you find out something. RUSTY BROWN : : I also have a Sigma guitar with the Picador sticker that looks like a downsized Martin D-18…..black binding, split rosewood back…..it sounds great, but I can’t find anything out about it. I gave $50.00 for it on eBay….If anybody knows anything about this brand send me an e-mail…..there are 0 reviews on Harmony Central. i have a guitar labeled picador also. it was purchased in 1981, model dm 19. it sounds and looks great. i hav been able to find little information about it. i have only seen pictures of a catolouge containing pictures of the dm 19 the d 18 and others. please notify wiht watever information u have.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.