Homepage Forums Discussion Popular Topics Gibson SG- Fake????

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

Does anyone know if gibson made a 87 SG with only 3 pot with the toggle swith above the middle pot. There is no scratch plate and the serial number seems legit. It looks like its been refinished and is now a dark metallic grey/green. The neck has 22 frets with dot inlay and SG written on the neck tension cover. Headstock is black with gibson gold inlay. Machine head have been changed but the original holes and outlines are still visible. It looks like a crass between a special and a gothic. Any ideas????
    Thanks

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

That is a late 1980s SG special. Check out http://www.everythingsg.com and follow the links "photos" and "1980s"; there’s pictures clearly showing it with three pots and no scratchplate.

Anonymous

: Does anyone know if gibson made a 87 SG with only 3 pot with the toggle swith above the middle pot. There is no scratch plate and the serial number seems legit. It looks like its been refinished and is now a dark metallic grey/green. The neck has 22 frets with dot inlay and SG written on the neck tension cover. Headstock is black with gibson gold inlay. Machine head have been changed but the original holes and outlines are still visible. It looks like a crass between a special and a gothic. Any ideas???? : Thanks it doesnt sound like a "fake", just sounds like an unusual model or one that someone did some alterations to. my Gibson SG is a slight oddball, doesnt look exactly like the new ones either. it walnut stain, the frets come right up to the pickup bezel. (no pickguard plastic in between.) also it has a bigger bridge, but Gibson said it came that way.

Anonymous

: : Does anyone know if gibson made a 87 SG with only 3 pot with the toggle swith above the middle pot. There is no scratch plate and the serial number seems legit. It looks like its been refinished and is now a dark metallic grey/green. The neck has 22 frets with dot inlay and SG written on the neck tension cover. Headstock is black with gibson gold inlay. Machine head have been changed but the original holes and outlines are still visible. It looks like a crass between a special and a gothic. Any ideas???? : : Thanks I’ve got pretty much the same thing, mine’s red, one piece body. I looked into it and after much research, I determined that mine was an ’83 SG Special II. They stopped making them in 87 so i think that might be it. I found a good site here: http://www.everythingsg.com/identify.htm

Anonymous

: : : Does anyone know if gibson made a 87 SG with only 3 pot with the toggle swith above the middle pot. There is no scratch plate and the serial number seems legit. It looks like its been refinished and is now a dark metallic grey/green. The neck has 22 frets with dot inlay and SG written on the neck tension cover. Headstock is black with gibson gold inlay. Machine head have been changed but the original holes and outlines are still visible. It looks like a crass between a special and a gothic. Any ideas???? : : : Thanks : I’ve got pretty much the same thing, mine’s red, one piece body. I looked into it and after much research, I determined that mine was an ’83 SG Special II. They stopped making them in 87 so i think that might be it. I found a good site here: http://www.everythingsg.com/identify.htm

Anonymous

I’ve got one piece, from ’83 too, and one Gibson’s costumer care service employer told me it’s ORIGINAL!!! Mine it’s cream, in great sound’s conditions, with hardshell case (not the one in "leather", obviously…). Do you have an idea about the value (in dollar it’s OK, even if I’m Italian.. :-)) )??? Thank you, mc.alone

Anonymous

Thanks for the info guys, I actually visited the site originally when I was sussing it out, but for some reason didn’t go to the right page. I’ve located it and it is definately an SG Special II. Just need to figure out how much I want to pay for it… needs a bit of work, mainly cosmetic. Thanks all for the help.

Anonymous

Its not a fake. I have one that I bought in 87. It is black with dot inlays. It only has 3 control knobs (2 for pickup volume and one for tone). I ordered it because I hated the look of the pick guard. I guess I paid around $700 back in 87 for it. I was curious too what the price would be today. I cant seem to find many if any on ebay. Thanks Ian

Anonymous

Thanks Dan, It’s been offered to me for sale, as it’s been refinished its hard to see whats underneath. I’m confident that the neck is genuine gibson but have never seen a 3 pot body on a "special". I might try and do a bit more net surfing and see if I can find a similar model for peace of mind.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.