Homepage Forums Discussion Popular Topics Anyone tried a Burns Marquee against Strat

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

Hello Ive just tried a Burns Marquee in a music shop and was very impressed with its Strat like sound for half the price of and American Standard Series. However, since I was playing the ‘can I help you’ riff, I didn’t have a chance to try a strat alongside it. What I’d like to know is, is the marquee up there with a strat, does it sound as refined, etc? Should I buy one of these?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

Yeh man, the marquee is good. It has loads of tone and the pickups are high quality. I bought one and I’m very pleased with it. It looks real good and is a fine example of a quality-finished guitar. Against a strat? well I dont really know as I havent had time to do a full blast on a strat on the same amp but it really depends which strat you are talking about. Against a squirer the marquee is above by many leagues. A lower ended american strat? Well I think the strat might be a little more comfortable to play but in terms of sound the marquee is probably just as good. Its your desicion but I reccomend the Marquee: its crazy how cheap it is (I got mine for £240) and if you are up for the best deal…..I’d say give the Marquee a try. It may be a ‘copy’ of a classic (marvin) but it sure does give across a warm sound. Let me know how you got on. Cheers. Jim

Anonymous

: : Hello

: : I own a Burns and a strat, and the main difference is when you use the punch on th secong tone pot. According to one of my mates it puts it out of phase, but from a sound perspective, it sounds really bluesy. The punch makes it sound more like a les paul or PRS than a strat.

James

Anonymous

: Hello

: Ive just tried a Burns Marquee in a music shop and was very impressed with its Strat like sound for half the price of and American Standard Series. However, since I was playing the ‘can I help you’ riff, I didn’t have a chance to try a strat alongside it. What I’d like to know is, is the marquee up there with a strat, does it sound as refined, etc?
      : Should I buy one of these?
      Yes they are damn good. I tried out a Mexican strat which I thought was good but this is much better. Have you tried the Aria MAC60? It’s the same money and feels good to play. I can’t decide between the two.

Anonymous

: : Hello : : Ive just tried a Burns Marquee in a music shop and was very impressed with its Strat like sound for half the price of and American Standard Series. However, since I was playing the ‘can I help you’ riff, I didn’t have a chance to try a strat alongside it. What I’d like to know is, is the marquee up there with a strat, does it sound as refined, etc? : : Should I buy one of these? : Yes they are damn good. I tried out a Mexican strat which I thought was good but this is much better. Have you tried the Aria MAC60? It’s the same money and feels good to play. I can’t decide between the two. ive just bought a mac60 but i havnt got it yet because i am left handed and i have to wait for it to be made! but i am hoping the mac60 is nice to play because i only played a right handed one, and that felt nice, but i could get a grip of what it felt like, because it was upside down.

Anonymous

: : Hello : : Ive just tried a Burns Marquee in a music shop and was very impressed with its Strat like sound—— I own a 2001 Burns Marquee so my reply is biased – (!) I bought mine in preference over everything in the shop at the same price (or twice as much) – love it to bits. If you play one again the rear tone pot lifts up to switch in the neck pick-up along with the bridge p/u – try it and see if you like it. Mine sounds more woody – and more rounded than my other guitars – (Yammy ‘strats’) and has that nice shimmering tone you don’t often get on cheaper guitars. Maybe the one piece neck is helping out here. See more reviews on Harmony-Central under Burns Marquee, all of which revel in the Burns. These gittars cost nearly twice as much in Louisiana as they do in London, by the way…… Burns neck is slightly fatter than my Yams, tone is much bigger and more harmonic. I play it through a Marshall AVT50 tube/hybrid combo, or an el cheapo 30 watt Torque keyboard amp. I just had the speaker in the Torque upgraded to a Celestion Vintage Eight and the combination of that and the Burns ( with no stomp boxes/FX) gives a deep clear blues tone to die for. Full range of bright and clear tones on the Burns too, as well as grunge/punk/metal. Cannot fault it – although it’s noticeably heavier than the Strats. Maybe that’s part of Burn’s Big-Big Tone secret. TRy it through a tube or true hybid amp if you can. best Suz(UK)

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.