Homepage Forums Discussion Popular Topics Washburn WP-50

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

I have a Washburn WP-50.It is an exact Les Paul copy to every detail (except headstock).I tried to find out more about this giutar since it had no serial# or "made in" screen.Washburn said the made this production guitar in the early 90’s.They sent me an old catalog with the picture and description of my guitar.It is not the same!!The WP-50 in the catalog had the toggle switch down by the volume knobs.And the single cytaway had a sharper point.My guitar is a perfect Les Paul Body w/m.o.p inlay on the neck.Washburn told me that this could be a prototype.It has a solid flame maple top,mohogany body and neck,rosewood fret board.The guitar weighs about 10 pounds.Can anyone shed some light on what I have and maybe a value??Thanks.

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

There’s one on sale on e-bay currently for £650! It looks ok apart from pic no. 2 which shows a later mk2 headstock ?. Mine was cheap and had a pup change which is a shame and control knobs are different but rest of guitar is original that’s why i know about the headstock being different on the mk 2.

Anonymous

Bought mine as a teenager with money from holiday and weekend jobs. Still have it. Serial number is on white stick on label. For people saying it was made in Japan let me just say, the gold made in Korea sticker? I peeled off soon after buying it. Yes its the ‘lawsuit’ model. Same body shape and everything except headstock. Mine was hung in window of Music shop in Birmingham UK for ages before I managed to save enough to buy it. The shop was near to Nostalgia Comics.

Anonymous

i just had my wp-50 serviced and the guy said it was a nice sounding guitar even though it has at some point had the original pups removed and probably chinese ones inserted which actually dont sound that bad at all. Bought mine 5 years ago on e-bay for £165.00 i bought around 15 guitars inc mij vintage tokai,greco,ibanez over 2 years and i think the washburn still sounds the best and is the easiest to play shame about the pups though …maybe i should replace then with gibson classics. I have the original mag advert for the wp guitar series i got it off google photos giving the specification for all the models and what they were made of wp50 and 80 were similar specs “select hardwood body” and rosewood fingerboard on the 80 having it also had gold hardware opposed to chrome for the 50. The 90 got a hand carved maple top. The 100 got a mahogany body and neck and ebony fingerboard,active electronics and coil tap switch (never read of anyone that actually owned a 100 think pretty rare.

Anonymous

similar story to some of you guys…..bought at a car boot sale for €30. she’s the black with gold hardware (nicely aged) with binding all round and the switch where it should be. has the wp 80 truss rod cover but no mop inlay on the headstock. some say that means it was a jap made prototype. took it to a lad to fix some raised frets and he admitted it was better than most lps he played..deffo a keeper. has anyone seen/have a similar as i only can find white ones….as i don’t think the 50 came with all the binding…

Anonymous

I have owned my WP50 from new having bought in 1990 in Ladbroke Grove. Made in Korea. they were never made in Japan. Top quality copy and I reckon with a pickup upgrade as good as any Gibson. mine has a lovely antiqueburst flame top with the slightly wider 59 looking neck. Stunner!!

Anonymous

hello.i bought a washburn wp50 back in the early 90’s.i saw it in a secondhand guitar shop and had to have it after playing it.
      i still have it today.served me well on gigs.great sound.always wanted to know where these were made ? japan maybe ?

start of serial number says 90,so im assuming its 1990 ?

[URL=http://www.imagebam.com/image/dff091316879390][IMG]http://thumbnails111.imagebam.com/31688/dff091316879390.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Anonymous

hi i bought one this year ive just realised how good it is only by what ive read i would have sold otherwise as i like strats but after doing some detective work on forums ive realised that this £150.00 guitar i bought on e-bay is much sought after in the u.s. ive seen one sold for $900!!!! perfect con …..well mine has had a pup chage to generic chinese? onesand control knobs are different the seller or whoever didnt realise what he had and its got plenty of marks on the back from a buckle and 2 circular dings but front is better with a couple of dings around the top pick-up switch……..no one seems to know about them here in the u.k. and one was for sale for a similar price last week but seller as usual wont communicate so i guess he sold it

Anonymous

Found an ebony standard style at a pawn shop for a little over $200. Does anyone know what pickups came on them? They are brass base with no markings, two wire. The guitar seems to be of japanese quality, any idea which factory produced them-Matsumoku maybe?

Anonymous

I just picked up one of these for 20 bucks. The guy said it was being played with in the dirt by some children at a yard sale. It has a small rectangular hole gouged out between the volume and tone knobs like some fool tried to install another switch or something. I’ll just fill it and put a sticker or something over to hide that. Got some chips and scratches here and there but looks to be quite playable. In this era of “relic” guitar taste she should fit in nicely. Gotta get a stop tailpiece and bridge to string her up and hear the tone and replace the non original cheap, junk tuning machines but I love the thing already. It just feels good and in spite of the abuse is absolutely beautiful. She’s in good hands now. I’ll probably never sell it.

Anonymous

I bought one of these babys about 1990/91 second hand for £25. The guy who sold it to me didnt have a clue about guitars, hence the price…lol. I have heard about gibson and a law suit over the likeness to the les paul. The prototypes, i think were only produced for a year….with the toggle switch at the top. After that period the switch was positoned near thje volume/tone controls. Great guitar. Plays and sounds just like a les paul. My mate has been after it for the past twenty years, but i eventually parted with it when i gave it to my son for his 18th birthday……so i can still play it every now and then. I dont know how many were made during that year, but the rarity value will only increase with age. Who knows what price you get in another 20 years. My advice is to keep hold of it…..Prob be worth some big bucks in years to come.

MrNeil

Anonymous

Bought mine for around £350 in 1990 in a Bristol shop.
        Fantastic guitar, original pickups, still looks beautiful . Set of DD 10`s, AC 30 a few pedals and you have a great guitar , easily as good as a `59 Les Paul Standard. Just need to spray the pots now and again, never let me down under fire!!!xx

Anonymous

do you still have your washburn p-50 ? how do you rate it ?

Anonymous

I just got my hands on one i seen it in a pawn shop thought it was nice was totally impressed with the quality. I put it on lay away and went home and found all the reviews and so much great stuff I jumped in.my car and went back and brought it home..I’ve had it for a week played it at rehearsal
          Blown away….just finished my 1st gig played it 1\2 of the sets….i love it and I agree with you about plays better than the standard i had in fact my 1988 std i purchased new I hated it…I sold it to a friend for 750
          You couldnt pay me twice that for this wp50
          I think gibson has gotten so full of themselves the true quality has fallen and this washburn was made to teach them pride in workmanship.
          Btw I paid 195 bucks total……what a steal

Anonymous

I just bought a wp 50 at a pawnshop and it is a beauty! I can’t seem to find much info on it either. I think the price is somewhere around 700- 1000 dollars. Mine has sunburst beautiful and sounds delightful. see you around

Anonymous

I have one, a tobacco sunburst one! Its pretty, and use to play really good, i loved it…then it just turned into crap..its still good…anyone wanna buy it? mine is also with the toggle switch at top.

Anonymous

: I have a Washburn WP-50.It is an exact Les Paul copy to every detail (except headstock).I tried to find out more about this giutar since it had no serial# or "made in" screen.Washburn said the made this production guitar in the early 90’s.They sent me an old catalog with the picture and description of my guitar.It is not the same!!The WP-50 in the catalog had the toggle switch down by the volume knobs.And the single cytaway had a sharper point.My guitar is a perfect Les Paul Body w/m.o.p inlay on the neck.Washburn told me that this could be a prototype.It has a solid flame maple top,mohogany body and neck,rosewood fret board.The guitar weighs about 10 pounds.Can anyone shed some light on what I have and maybe a value??Thanks. I bought one in great shape with a cherry sunburst finish, mohogany body and neck, and rosewood fretboard in 1998 for about $400 at a guitar shop. I figure that is about what one is worth.

Anonymous

hi, a friend of mine has two of these. yes they are prototype models. for some reason most of them that we have found are located in the southern portion of the united states. gibson threatened to file a lawsuit against washburn because its so similar to a les paul , and in all honesty the constuction really is better than a gibson the blue book value states this instrument is valued at over 3,000 dollars, but somehow i really doubt you could get that. hope this helps. : I have a Washburn WP-50.It is an exact Les Paul copy to every detail (except headstock).I tried to find out more about this giutar since it had no serial# or "made in" screen.Washburn said the made this production guitar in the early 90’s.They sent me an old catalog with the picture and description of my guitar.It is not the same!!The WP-50 in the catalog had the toggle switch down by the volume knobs.And the single cytaway had a sharper point.My guitar is a perfect Les Paul Body w/m.o.p inlay on the neck.Washburn told me that this could be a prototype.It has a solid flame maple top,mohogany body and neck,rosewood fret board.The guitar weighs about 10 pounds.Can anyone shed some light on what I have and maybe a value??Thanks.

Anonymous

: : hi, a friend of mine has two of these. yes they are prototype models. for some reason most of them that we have found are located in the southern portion of the united states. gibson threatened to file a lawsuit against washburn because its so similar to a les paul , and in all honesty the constuction really is better than a gibson the blue book value states this instrument is valued at over 3,000 dollars, but somehow i really doubt you could get that. hope this helps. : : I have a Washburn WP-50.It is an exact Les Paul copy to every detail (except headstock).I tried to find out more about this giutar since it had no serial# or "made in" screen.Washburn said the made this production guitar in the early 90’s.They sent me an old catalog with the picture and description of my guitar.It is not the same!!The WP-50 in the catalog had the toggle switch down by the volume knobs.And the single cytaway had a sharper point.My guitar is a perfect Les Paul Body w/m.o.p inlay on the neck.Washburn told me that this could be a prototype.It has a solid flame maple top,mohogany body and neck,rosewood fret board.The guitar weighs about 10 pounds.Can anyone shed some light on what I have and maybe a value??Thanks. DAMN! I had one of these and LOVED it. Exactly like the one you describe…it was an exact copy of the Les Paul, including toggle switch location. I bought mine in 1993 or so in Fort Worth, TX while station there in the Air Force. I sold it (desperately needed the money) about 4 years later in North Dakota. I am still kicking myself today. I have been through several Epiphone Les Pauls, but none of them came close to matching the tone and sustain that the WP-50 had. I only paid about $450 for it. Despite their quality, I can’t beleive they’d actually be worth more than that, unless it’s because of the rarity. Damn, I’m an idiot, I KNEW I hsould have kept that guitar…. 🙂

Anonymous

: : : : hi, a friend of mine has two of these. yes they are prototype models. for some reason most of them that we have found are located in the southern portion of the united states. gibson threatened to file a lawsuit against washburn because its so similar to a les paul , and in all honesty the constuction really is better than a gibson the blue book value states this instrument is valued at over 3,000 dollars, but somehow i really doubt you could get that. hope this helps. : : : : I have a Washburn WP-50.It is an exact Les Paul copy to every detail (except headstock).I tried to find out more about this giutar since it had no serial# or "made in" screen.Washburn said the made this production guitar in the early 90’s.They sent me an old catalog with the picture and description of my guitar.It is not the same!!The WP-50 in the catalog had the toggle switch down by the volume knobs.And the single cytaway had a sharper point.My guitar is a perfect Les Paul Body w/m.o.p inlay on the neck.Washburn told me that this could be a prototype.It has a solid flame maple top,mohogany body and neck,rosewood fret board.The guitar weighs about 10 pounds.Can anyone shed some light on what I have and maybe a value??Thanks. : DAMN! I had one of these and LOVED it. Exactly like the one you describe…it was an exact copy of the Les Paul, including toggle switch location. I bought mine in 1993 or so in Fort Worth, TX while station there in the Air Force. I sold it (desperately needed the money) about 4 years later in North Dakota. I am still kicking myself today. I have been through several Epiphone Les Pauls, but none of them came close to matching the tone and sustain that the WP-50 had. I only paid about $450 for it. Despite their quality, I can’t beleive they’d actually be worth more than that, unless it’s because of the rarity. Damn, I’m an idiot, I KNEW I hsould have kept that guitar…. 🙂 Yes, I have one as well–mine is a honeyburst color with the smaller flame stripes in it–Bought it used–someone did me a huge favor and stuck a Gibson 57 Classic hb in the neck–through either my Fenders ao the marshall jmp 50, it goes from Duane Allman to Freddie King to Billy Gibbons!!! I love it and yes, would buy another if the price is right!!! I’m a bluesman myself–love the maple/mahogany tone—e-mail me if either of you guys wants to sell for a good price or knows someone with a Fender Deluxe Reverb II for a good price—Thanx

Anonymous

I have a beautiful tobacco sunburst WP-50. I bought it for a bargain price of $400 (Australian) and have to say it totally kicks butt. It plays really well and sounds even better – mine still has the original Washburn humbuckers and they are VERY loud pickups – some of the best I’ve ever heard. This plays better than almost all Gibson Les Pauls I’ve played, even those upwards of $3000. If you find one, buy it. They’re not worth a whole lot in the marketplace (you’d be lucky to get more than a grand for it) but they play like they’re worth five times that.

Anonymous

: : : Great to find out the history of this marvelous guitar. I bought mine in 1992 from Sounds Great in Stockport, England. A year later I replaced the Washburn humbuckers with PRS HFS and Vintage Bass pickups. Looks just like a Gibson, but with a thinner neck. Now it sounds like a cross between a Les Paul and a PRS. New it cost me £255, and the pickups were another £100. If it was not for this guitar I would have bought a PRS by now, and that would have cost me £1,500 to £2,500 at UK prices. To answer the original question: Serial number was on a gold sticky label. There were two of them, one on the heel, which has worn right off, the other is inside the control cavity. : : : hi, a friend of mine has two of these. yes they are prototype models. for some reason most of them that we have found are located in the southern portion of the united states. gibson threatened to file a lawsuit against washburn because its so similar to a les paul , and in all honesty the constuction really is better than a gibson the blue book value states this instrument is valued at over 3,000 dollars, but somehow i really doubt you could get that. hope this helps. : : : : : : I have a Washburn WP-50.It is an exact Les Paul copy to every detail (except headstock).I tried to find out more about this giutar since it had no serial# or "made in" screen.Washburn said the made this production guitar in the early 90’s.They sent me an old catalog with the picture and description of my guitar.It is not the same!!The WP-50 in the catalog had the toggle switch down by the volume knobs.And the single cytaway had a sharper point.My guitar is a perfect Les Paul Body w/m.o.p inlay on the neck.Washburn told me that this could be a prototype.It has a solid flame maple top,mohogany body and neck,rosewood fret board.The guitar weighs about 10 pounds.Can anyone shed some light on what I have and maybe a value??Thanks. : : DAMN! I had one of these and LOVED it. Exactly like the one you describe…it was an exact copy of the Les Paul, including toggle switch location. I bought mine in 1993 or so in Fort Worth, TX while station there in the Air Force. I sold it (desperately needed the money) about 4 years later in North Dakota. I am still kicking myself today. I have been through several Epiphone Les Pauls, but none of them came close to matching the tone and sustain that the WP-50 had. I only paid about $450 for it. Despite their quality, I can’t beleive they’d actually be worth more than that, unless it’s because of the rarity. Damn, I’m an idiot, I KNEW I hsould have kept that guitar…. 🙂 : Yes, I have one as well–mine is a honeyburst color with the smaller flame stripes in it–Bought it used–someone did me a huge favor and stuck a Gibson 57 Classic hb in the neck–through either my Fenders ao the marshall jmp 50, it goes from Duane Allman to Freddie King to Billy Gibbons!!! I love it and yes, would buy another if the price is right!!! I’m a bluesman myself–love the maple/mahogany tone—e-mail me if either of you guys wants to sell for a good price or knows someone with a Fender Deluxe Reverb II for a good price—Thanx

Anonymous

hi steve i had a wp 50 washburn they are the exact dupe of a 59 custom les paul i`ve heard more than one story on the guitar but i believe thwy were lawsuit guitars as were the ibanez` lp`s it was a nice piece but it sure didnt weigh 10 lbs!! i have sen them on ebay rarely-sold mine because i had a chance to buy up to a vintage es335&did so it was a nice guitar though better than some gibson les pauls i`ve played but not as nice as my 68 custom which was also a exact dupe of the 59 custom-i miss that one-cya john

Anonymous

I have one too. I do not have the e-mail anymore, but I wrote Washburn and they were able to give me the history of
      the guitar. It has a mahogony body with a flamed maple top and has a set neck. The president of Washburn claimed it was one of the better guitars they made. I believe he said it was made in Japan if I am not mistaken. They are really great sounding and look great too. Mine still has the serial number if it is any help to you. Take care now.

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.