Home Forums Discussion Popular Topics Neck shim in a Telecaster

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

I’ve got a mid to late 80s rosewood Telecaster – Japanese reissue. A while ago it started buzzing a bit so I took it to get set up. I’d moved so I couldn’t take it to the place that’s dealt with it i nthe past. Anywya the reccomendation from this place was to put a shim in the neck joint, angling the neck back very slightly. This has eliminated the buzzing, but the action feels a touch higher, and the feel of the guitar seems to have changed (though I’d accept there’s a possibility I’m imagining that. Anyway, has anyone heard of this treatment for Fenders, and/or have any opinions on it? I could understand angling the neck of a Gibson, as they’re made that way to start with, but it sounded strange on a Fender.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

: I’ve got a mid to late 80s rosewood Telecaster – Japanese reissue. A while ago it started buzzing a bit so I took it to get set up. I’d moved so I couldn’t take it to the place that’s dealt with it i nthe past. Anywya the reccomendation from this place was to put a shim in the neck joint, angling the neck back very slightly. This has eliminated the buzzing, but the action feels a touch higher, and the feel of the guitar seems to have changed (though I’d accept there’s a possibility I’m imagining that. Anyway, has anyone heard of this treatment for Fenders, and/or have any opinions on it? I could understand angling the neck of a Gibson, as they’re made that way to start with, but it sounded strange on a Fender.

most fenders have a tilt adjustment at the neck plate. which is the same thing. I would think yours would have this anyway, but maybe im wrong, i dont pay attention to new stuff these days. anyway i often found shims in bolt on neck guitars, keep in mind it creates a gap at your neck joint, therefore decreases the sustain the guitar will have.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.