Wide neck guitars

Posted by Tim on Mon, 03/29/04 - 02:13:48.

Need help..I am a senior beginner trying to learn guitar. The strings on the guitar I bought are very close together. I am about to give up. Are all guitars this way. I have been playing for about 2 monthe and I can't play chords because the strings are very narrow. Any help would be appreciated...TIA

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: Wide neck guitars

wider necks tend to be on classical nylon strung guitars, i played a collings steel string the other day, it had awide neck but costs, there must be a lot of wider neck guitars out there.

You didn't say what kind of guitar you are playing: acoustic? electric? classical? Classical (nylon string) guitars are the widest necks you are going to find. If you want a wide neck steel string acoustic you could try the Seagull line. I have one and I love it. The red Cedar top is very responsive for fingerpicking and blues.
As far as electrics go, you can buy a new, wider neck for an existing Fender. And some brands can be custom ordered with a wider neck.
Another option would be to buy a 12-string guitar in a brand you like, and have a guitar shop fit it with a 6-string nut and possibly rework the bridge. Or you could simply play the guitar minus the smaller strings.

Don't give up on such a rewarding instrument. There is a way to find a comfortable fit for your hands. I have very wide fingertips and the Seagull worked for me.
RogerPerrin

Check out Marc Silber's guitars, assuming you are playing steel string. His guitars have a neck pretty much as wide as a classical guitar.

http://www.marcsilbermusic.com

Cheers,
J

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2021 , All Rights Reserved.

Affiliate Notice: As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.