Homepage Forums Discussion Popular Topics Desising which to choose Yamaha FG450SC or FG461S

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

Greetings,

Can anyone shed some light on my issue, I’m trying to decide which Yamaha Guitar to choose: 1985 FG450SC in mint condition, would the back and sides of this guitar be solid? would the cutaway sound as good as the full body? (less bottom) or an 1994 FG461S in very good condition they are both 00.00. Does anyone have these model and how do you like them?

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

I have an FG461S that I got in1996. She is a great guitar and has only been played 10 times. I love my Washburn.

Anonymous

Just purchased a fg461s a few weeks ago. Couldn’t bear to be seperated from it! I’ve eventually gave it to the luthier to set up so I’m back on the newer fg720s for the next 7 days and counting, it’s ok but I miss the voluptuous tones of the 461. Can’t wait to hear her with a bone nut and saddle and a set of new elixers. Ahhh! heaven I expect.

Anonymous

Hi Mike, I have a FG461-S. Comparing it to the other acoustic I have (Guild D4) I have to say that the FG461 is geared towards rhythm guitar playing. The fretboard is a tiny bit narrower (but makes a huge difference) when you’re trying to finger pick. The neck is also thicker. However, the Yamaha has a very bright sound and it’s louder than the Guild D4 Dreadnought guitar. I put in a K&K Pure Western pickup into the Yamaha and it sounds great amplified. The back and sides of the FG-461s is NOT solid wood however. If you got thick fingers, don’t even try to finger pick on this FG461…your fingers will get tangled up.. Other than that, I love the FG461…power strumming works great on this… : Greetings, : Can anyone shed some light on my issue, I’m trying to decide which Yamaha Guitar to choose: 1985 FG450SC in mint condition, would the back and sides of this guitar be solid? would the cutaway sound as good as the full body? (less bottom) or an 1994 FG461S in very good condition they are both $300.00. Does anyone have these model and how do you like them?

Anonymous

: Greetings, : Can anyone shed some light on my issue, I’m trying to decide which Yamaha Guitar to choose: 1985 FG450SC in mint condition, would the back and sides of this guitar be solid? would the cutaway sound as good as the full body? (less bottom) or an 1994 FG461S in very good condition they are both $300.00. Does anyone have these model and how do you like them?

Anonymous

I have a Yamaha FG461S. It is fully ACOUSTIC in the true sense of the word. No holes have been drilled or attempted upon(except the soundhole or maybe that little button that is factory installed) And there is no need for built-in pickup electronics, this thing is loud! The word ‘SOLID’ always come to mind when I try to describe what this axe feel/look/sounded like. Funny enough, the yamaha folks named it FG-461S with a "S" for solid top, but for me, that’s really the whole git fiddle, but just the top. This is rare among especially imported acoustic, most of those feel and sound like soft wet bread with a boom box kind of effect. The lows on this axe is best described as tight and solid, but could be mistaken for ‘boominess’ if you’ve never test drive those true acoustic boom boxes.. When I got to play on this instrument, it was setup in stable and highly-playable condition, much like the new Taylors, Larivees, or high-end Martins that came fresh right out o’ box. Action seemed a tid bit higher for my then smaller, untrained hands (btw, i’m now a guitar tinkerer with a pair of ‘better’ hands, so i change gauge, action, etc as needed). String tension’s nice&tight, projecting volumes of classic acoustic tones when strumming chords; crisp balance notes are released easily when finger picking/bending or feather harmonic touches. No buzz that I know of on this straight neck. Frets are clean, shiny and most importantly, properly leveled and balance in height. No popping saddle buttons and such; nut is plastic but they’re cut right and work just fine. The stock Yamaha gold tuners proved themselves in numerous occasions in hard (!) jam sessions. The strings never fly out of those pegholes and even the gold hadn’t peel off yet; I only need to tweek lightly to stay in tune between sets. So no, don’t remember there’s a single flaw right out of that sturdy SKB ‘luggage’ case =-) Live? The FG is amazingly loud and proud in live. Never had pickups installed in it. Only need to mic it up and the sounds will be truthfully reproduced out of speakers or PA. All parts still going on strong, it’s approaching its 6th birthday. Button (only on the bottom end of the axe) is more solid than the ones I see in guitars in the same price range as this one. Planning to get another strap button on back of dovetail heel. But seemed like tying shoelaces is fine for me since I don’t usually wear it (liked to strum on good old stool), at least for now. Plus, i’m afraid drilling holes near that neck will affect the sound, yeah, i’m a naturalist. The guitar seemed to last as long as no fire’s set upon it or heavy stuff crashing on it with full force from the 10th floor. Finish is tough to unearth (if you even try), however it neither look or feel like a high gloss plastic box with a stick. Back of the neck finish is applied lightly and evenly, making it a joy to go up and down that fretted highway (try one of those lower common yamaha models or no namer classical, you’ll know what a thick gloss neck feel, eww..) Couple dings and bums are normal, man, it’s definitely a player, not a behind-the-glass museum sitter. I don’t play out yet, so the FG-461S is to jamming with buddies (acoustic or electric), ‘pickup’ playing with guest strummers and pickers, teaching friends that are interested in starting guitar, or pick n’ practise for personal enjoyment in the leisure. I can depend on it, using it live or at home. At my fellowship nights, I would borrow my friend’s guitar if something really bad happen to it. Happened only once or twice because I forgot to bring the guitar! =-p Usual if I break strings (mostly the high E), I’ll strum on and do octave stuff. However, won’t do gig without a backup (with this one or my LP), it is very unprofessional to tell audience to wait while guy fix his ‘only’ guitar on stage =-p No shit on this, this is the guitar to get no question. It is an absolute steeeeeeeeeeel.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.