Home Forums Discussion Popular Topics run my guitar in stereo

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

i want to run my guitar in stereo on stage using 2 amps, but im not sure on the best way to go about it with what i have. i play a wolfgang in to a vox wah > keeley compressor > keeley modified boss ds-1 distortion > boss acoustic simulator > peavey 5150 head and 4-12 cab. im not sure what i should use for a second amp. and then i have a memory man deluxe delay pedal in the effects loop, although i will be adding a fulltone fat boost, a fuzz face and a reverb pedal shortly but im not sure where i should incorporate these ( i also have a boss delay pedal and a chorus(stereo) pedal with which i may replace the memory man.

also im not sure how to get the best sound out of the ds-1 its supposed to have a good tone but im finding that i can get the distortion on the 5150 head to sound clearer and fuller than the ds-1 .but i still want to find a way to use this pedal. im thinking im not using the right set up for it since it has such a good rep (particularly the keeley mod) why else would satriani and vai use it on stage?

anyone got any ideas?
    i would appreciate any other tips as well.

thanks,
    chad

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

Andrew makes a good point here, it does matter what order your effects are connected up in. Placing a wah pedal in front of a delay allows the delay to effect the articulation of the wah pedal and placing it behind the delay allows the wah to effect the articulation of the delay. Try it each way and I’m sure you will see what we mean. You could use a mono "Y" cable and a couple of graphic equalizers to change the sound of the signals going to each amp, thereby giving the impression of a stereo sound. Cut the low end of one EQ and the high end of the other one. I have a Carvin DC 150 that’s set up for stereo output, two humbuckers w/two volumes and two tones connected to two output jacks. Also, two single coil tap/split switches for the pups, an out of phase switch and the selector switch. It can all be ran through one jack in mono. With stereo use, the selector switch does not function, but everything else does. I have eight of the Morley A/B foot switches that Andrew mentioned (four for each output from the guitar) and several each of the effects you listed and a few others you didn’t. These A/B switches can be used to split one signal into two or combine two signals into one. The first A/B switch on each side: A-goes to the "A" of the 4th A/B switch, B-goes to the "IN" of the second A/B switch. The 2nd switch: A-goes through several effects, (ie. Wah-Delay-Compressor-Distortion-Pitch Shift) then to the "A" of the 3rd switch, B-goes through the same effects as A, but in a different order (ie. Delay-Distortion-Wah-Pitch Shift-Compressor) then to the "B" of the 3rd switch. The 3rd switch combines the two effect set ups back to one signal and is connected to the B of the 4th switch which is in turn connected to the input of the amps. How it works: With "A" selected on the 1st and 4th switches, the signal from the guitar is sent straight to the amps for a clean tone. When "B" is selected on the 1st and 4th switches the signal is sent through either of the effect set ups between the 2nd and 3rd switches. Thus, giving me two effect set ups for each pup without having to stop and reconfigure them. I use two Crate FXT120 amps which set on top of 4-10 cabs with Celestion Vintage 30’s that I custom built. I have a Marshall 8008 stereo (80 watts per side) power amp between the Crates and the 4-10 cabs, also, two 12" Carvin British Series extension speakers in custom built cabs as monitors. I use a 1/4" stereo (tip, ring, sleeve) jack to tap the effects loop of the 120’s like a line out for the Marshall 8008. With a total combined power of 400 watts, I don’t have to worry about volume hogs with full stack Marshalls walking on me. I know it seems like a lot to keep up with and use, but I find it quite simple actually.

Anonymous

Thanks! Andrew & Dwight Listmayer

Anonymous

: i want to run my guitar in stereo on stage using 2 amps, but im not sure on the best way to go about it with what i have. i play a wolfgang in to a vox wah > keeley compressor > keeley modified boss ds-1 distortion > boss acoustic simulator > peavey 5150 head and 4-12 cab. im not sure what i should use for a second amp. and then i have a memory man deluxe delay pedal in the effects loop, although i will be adding a fulltone fat boost, a fuzz face and a reverb pedal shortly but im not sure where i should incorporate these ( i also have a boss delay pedal and a chorus(stereo) pedal with which i may replace the memory man. : also im not sure how to get the best sound out of the ds-1 its supposed to have a good tone but im finding that i can get the distortion on the 5150 head to sound clearer and fuller than the ds-1 .but i still want to find a way to use this pedal. im thinking im not using the right set up for it since it has such a good rep (particularly the keeley mod) why else would satriani and vai use it on stage? : : anyone got any ideas? : i would appreciate any other tips as well. : thanks, : chad Hey Chad, I love your guitar and setup, but whoaaaa – been waiting for somebody else to answer. This is one of them loaded questions where we can show everyone what we DONT know, also called sticking your foot in it. My opinion and question is "Where’s the beef?" sorry, I mean where’s the stereo signal coming from? Right now you don’t have a stereo signal-producing guitar. It would require 2 outputs on the guiatr, with all the stereo wiring inside. So maybe you mean to run 2 amps, but not in true stereo which is where elements of the signal (specific strings, tones or frequencies) are sent to left and right sides. Don’t fret. Contact soundlab pioneers at http://www.moultonlabs.com, also check http://www.elderly.com for any simple inexpensive product that could split your signal and mimic stereo sound – possibly. Lastly regarding choice of amp. Anything that balances or matches what you have, and doesn’t change the overall tone pallette from side to side. Strat man Dwight

Anonymous

You do NOT need a stereo guitar to run a stereo rig. I’ve been doing it for years running a les paul into my effects pedals, the last in the chain having stereo outputs. My current rig is a Reverend Warhawk II 390 into a pigtronix philosopher’s tone -> GIG FX Frampton signature wah -> JHS Muffaletto -> EHX Mel 9 which splits. The dry signal from the Mel9 feeds into a Boss SY-300 -> Digitech Jamman Delay -> the bright channels of dual Bugera 50 watt combos. The wet signal from the Mel9 goes into a Mooer Mod Factory Pro => Digitech Obscura delay => Mooer Ocean Machine => Digitech Polara reverb => the normal channels of the Bugera amps. So, if I had the resources, I could actually be running 2 stereo setups. I will be adding a center amp which will just run dry, coming out of the through output of the SY-300 for a total of 5 distinct channels. I may modify that by running out of the Muffaletto into an ABY, then into the rest of the system.

Anonymous

thanks dwight, i appreciate the feedback. i see what your saying about treue stereo, i guess ill just settle for doing the 2 amp thing. ive actually already tried it, sort of . with everything set the way i first mentioned, i used the memory man delay pedal in the effects loop with the echo out going to the return of the fx loop on the 5150 and the direct out( on the memory man) going to another head and cab. ( note: no delay came through the second amp ( is this what you would would want or is delay coming through both amps better?) this is just somethikng i dedcided to try and i really enjoyed the sound of it. again, not true stereo, but it still added a lot of fullness and dimension to my sound thanks chad

Anonymous

: thanks dwight, i appreciate the feedback. i see what your saying about treue stereo, i guess ill just settle for doing the 2 amp thing. ive actually already tried it, sort of . with everything set the way i first mentioned, i used the memory man delay pedal in the effects loop with the echo out going to the return of the fx loop on the 5150 and the direct out( on the memory man) going to another head and cab. : ( note: no delay came through the second amp ( is this what you would would want or is delay coming through both amps better?) this is just somethikng i dedcided to try and i really enjoyed the sound of it. again, not true stereo, but it still added a lot of fullness and dimension to my sound : thanks : chad That sounds good Chad. I agree that a different sound from each of the amps will get the most sound and fullness from your set up. Kind of like a multi-layered thing. Nice going. Strat Man Dwight

Anonymous

I think my dad wants you to ask a free question at moulton labs if possible, not spend the thousands in fees. But Moulton is the most experienced man for sound advice. Also the referral to http://www.elderly.com is right on, if you can find their 15 pages of nearly 300 effects. The one and only box you need to find is the Morley AB-Y for 2 amps, and next one up for 3. A $50 – 60 trick. For sounds on different sides, I recommend a different tone pallette, not the same. Normally you would place your compressor and all effects befor the splitter, but you could experiment with diff fx on different sides, and try to produce a stereo effect, without being in true stereo. A new product by Dunlop called the brick is a good power supply for so many pedals. About Vai & Satriani – I do that. Will look into this and crank on the Ibanez to get some ideas. Interesting you mentioned the Keeley mod. Do YOU have it? Andrew Listmayer – RockItSciencelabs – Advanced Guitar & Sound technology

Anonymous

thanks for the response. yes i do have the keeley mod, the ultra which has two distinct tone selections(via a small toggle switch) i will look into all of the things you said , thanks again chad

Anonymous

I should have paid more attention to your question & gear, instead of what my dad was saying. You DO have the Keely mod on your DS-1. And you want to use the DS-1 although your 5150 sounds better already. No problem. Set the 5150 to where you like it, or "nearly" where it sounds best. Use the DS-1 with conservative settings, except for the output to provide a muscle boost which will be noticeable, but not change the fundamentals of the 5150 distortion. Play around with it, to emphasize what’s good about the 5150. I’d like to see somebody else like Pookster & others suggest an order for all your effects pedals. Yes, it matters, but gonna give others some opportunity – comment on the whole thing n more if anyone has the time. Andrew

Anonymous

thanks andrew, i appreciate the feedback chad

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.