Homepage Forums Discussion Popular Topics Mexican Straocaster Phoney ?

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

I recently purchased, what was described as a 1995 Mexican made Fender Stratocaster. The serial # is MN578036. My concern is the Fender decal, it is black instead of the silver or gold metalic on other strats, also the tuning keys are similar to those on a friends’ Squire. Can any one confirm this is a Strat and not a Squire-Strat for me?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

i just purchased a new strat. so i started to identify the serial # mine starts with MX i can’t seem to find any serial #’s starting with those letters. is this a fake?

Anonymous

: I recently purchased, what was described as a 1995 Mexican made Fender Stratocaster. The serial # is MN578036. My concern is the Fender decal, it is black instead of the silver or gold metalic on other strats, also the tuning keys are similar to those on a friends’ Squire. Can any one confirm this is a Strat and not a Squire-Strat for me? I only see this as a positive. Perhaps you got a Deluxe series, or one of their "Classics". That would account for the tuners being different, as in vintage-style Kluson, which to some look cheap, but they are not quite like Squier. Do they have split posts? Any other info you can describe would help I.D. your guitar and could provide an opportunity for others to get involved, or make discoveries from this forum. All Made In Mexico Stratocasters are not alike. Strat Man Dwight

Anonymous

: : I appreciate your positive spin Strat-Man. However, I am a pessimist of sorts. The guitar does not have split posts on the tuners and the housing of same is shaped like a hipped-roof house. The color is off-white or cream with a maple neck. My concern is the black decal, didn’t some 1995 +/- Mexican Squires have the large "Fender" logo and in small print (only) on the round part of the neck, indicate "Squire Series" ? I recently purchased, what was described as a 1995 Mexican made Fender Stratocaster. The serial # is MN578036. My concern is the Fender decal, it is black instead of the silver or gold metalic on other strats, also the tuning keys are similar to those on a friends’ Squire. Can any one confirm this is a Strat and not a Squire-Strat for me? : I only see this as a positive. Perhaps you got a Deluxe series, or one of their "Classics". That would account for the tuners being different, as in vintage-style Kluson, which to some look cheap, but they are not quite like Squier. Do they have split posts? Any other info you can describe would help I.D. your guitar and could provide an opportunity for others to get involved, or make discoveries from this forum. All Made In Mexico Stratocasters are not alike. Strat Man Dwight

Anonymous

I guess you’re right, and thanks for being so polite. Maybe the Squier Series decal was removed, somehow, skilfully? The tuners that you describe then, have covers on the back, with 2 screws in each. One thing you can do perhaps is slacken the strings, remove the neck and look in the neck pocket. If it’s a Squier series, there is a high probability that the unpainted area in the neck pocket will have a ink stamp that says SQUIER. The Teles are so much easier to tell. Mexican Squier series were strings thru bridge, instead of body. Sorry for your trouble, Strat man Dwight

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.