Home Forums Discussion Popular Topics licensed floy rose springs

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

I cant find any useful info on internet about spring configuration for a floyd rose. I recently bought a used guitar equipped wih a licensed floyd rose. After putting some new .010 gauge strings on it and tuning up, the bridge lifted up way high (must have had .009’s previously). So I bought some new springs and added one to three it already had. That leveled out the bridge. I believe that stretching the three springs it had at an angle would create more tension but I’m wanting to learn more about common spring set-ups relative to string gauges. Any info would help.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

Well i can tell you about all the configurations since i am labeled a master at most floyds in this room and alot of people seek my opinion about them. But it takes alot of understanding and pictures and setup configurations, are you sure you want to go through with it? Trevor : I cant find any useful info on internet about spring configuration for a floyd rose. I recently bought a used guitar equipped wih a licensed floyd rose. After putting some new .010 gauge strings on it and tuning up, the bridge lifted up way high (must have had .009’s previously). So I bought some new springs and added one to three it already had. That leveled out the bridge. I believe that stretching the three springs it had at an angle would create more tension but I’m wanting to learn more about common spring set-ups relative to string gauges. Any info would help.

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply. Yes I’m game. Absolutely!

Anonymous

Well first of all spring diferations depend on the type of guitar (the setting of the action differs between each company) Like for example a bc rich and jackson , bcrich has higher action but just slightly higher than jacksons because its a heavy metal guitar, jacksons are for solos therefore they are closer to the board. Another thing is, what type of trem. Strat trems can have the usual 3 spring configuration which goes one side one very middle and one other side both sides being on the edge, you can do any spring configuration you want to with a standard strat trem because of how it doesnt bend backwards and it wont make a differnce, but remember the more springs the harder the whammy on. With a floyd however things are delicate expensive and vastly confuzing and touchy. The standard placement of the trem alone cannot be off by the nearest of a fraction otherwise the whole guitar is f*cked. So pbasically everything on these is precise. Now beleive it or not tremolo springs are made to make your whammy easier or stiffer. but too easy and the trem is sloppy, too hard and its a friggin hardtail itself. the configuration for floyds is usually such as a strats. NOTE the following goes for all tremolos. If you want your trem to be super easy, dont be a retard and take off the two sides and leave the middle, think harder, if you take out the middle you will realize how much easier it is to bend with the strength so that its not sloppy. If you leave the middle itll be so sloppy that youll go out of tune everytime you touch a fret because a finger being pressed on the string alone will bend the tremolo (little exxagerated but think about if your playing and you go to bend, your gunna throw that string off the side) now if you want heavy but not super heavy simply add a spring to either side of the center spring, no matter what try your best to keep the two outside springs where they are and dont remove them, they are the balancing springs, move em and you moved the tension on that side of the trem, WOBBLY. if this isnt enough ive got shitloads i can tell you, just say so and ill send more your way. Hope i helped and good luck. Trevor : Thanks for the reply. Yes I’m game. Absolutely!

Anonymous

The guitars in question are two, black, flawless (in appearance anyway) B.C. Rich N.J. Series Warlocks (Widow headstocks) with licensed Floyd Rose tremelos. They are almost identical upon first glance. The first one I found at a pawn shop recently for $225 total. I couldn’t pass it up. It has black hardware and a wood-grain (non-painted) neck and headstock (back of). Serial number is located on a metal plate on back of the guitar (where neck and body meet). It had .010 gauge strings on it and 4 springs (2 on each side with middle empty). About a month later I see this other one at a different pawnshop. I haggled with the guy and got it for $150 total. It has chrome hardware, a black (painted) neck and headstock (back of). It has a "fast-back heel" meaning it has no metal plate on back like the previous and this one is rounded where the other is square (back of guitar where top and neck meet). serial # located on back of neck. It had the smaller gauge strings which (after restringing with .010’s) required the additional spring (3 to 4). It had one on each side and one in the middle. I arranged the springs the same as the other one. Someone had mentioned using 3 springs at an angle and I’d seen pictures of such but couldn’t find much at all on the internet about this topic specifically. That’s probably way more info than you care for but thanks alot for your help earlier and/or in the possible future.

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.