Help - Stringing a Wilkinson Bridge

Hi - I just bought a guitar (2nd hand) with a Wilkinson Bridge. The guitar has no strings and I can't figure out how to string it! Do the strings feed in from the back like Fender or do they lock in like a Floyd Rose? I tried pushing the strings through from the back, but they only go so far and then stick. I can clamp the string in using the top screw and back screw, but then I can't change the intonation as it is clamped in at longest possible scale length. Can anyone help me out here? Thanks

More info:

It is odd. I'm sure it is a back feeder like a Fender. However the string wouldn't go all the way through the hole. I couldn't even see light through the hole. On the bottom of the tremlo (where the springs are) there is a threaded insert that sits in the hole itself (leaving a tiny gap for the string). When I took that out, a long narrow length of metal came out with a wedged shaped end. Without this piece of metal, I could get the string through and then wedged the metal in behind the string (a bit like an acoustic bridge pin). I then re-attached the threaded insert behind the piece of metal. It seems to be functional, but I'm sure something is not right. It shouldn't be this difficult - you are supposed to be able to change strings without tools.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

Copyright © 1999 - 2023 , All Rights Reserved.

Affiliate Notice: As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.