Guitarsite Homepage Forums Discussion Popular Topics Takamine F-349 (Martin D-17, lawsuit model)

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

I have recently purchased an old Takamine F-349 guitar. The seller said that the top, sides, and back were made of solid mahogany. Does anyone know if that is correct or is the top only solid? Thanks.

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

To all of you who have the f-349. They are not solid wood. They are not even solid top. They are all laminate construction. All and I repeat all takamine guitars from that era that had solid tops have an s after the model number. If it doesn’t it is an all laminate guitar. Do the research and you can see this is true. Takamine did not start making solid wood guitars till the late 90,s. The lawsuit guitars aren’t great guitars but none of them are solid wood.

Anonymous

There was only one lawsuit, and it was filed in 1977 — Gibson vs. Ibanez/Hoshino Corp.

https://flypaper.soundfly.com/discover/truth-lawsuit-era-guitars/

Anonymous

Definitely laminated. Mine is a 1992 F 349. If you take off the plastic strap pin you can clearly see the mahogany, white wood, mahogany sandwich used for the sides. I have to admit that it sounds surprisingly nice and loud for a plywood guitar.

Anonymous

I own a Takamine F-349 Serial Number 80060905
      How do I figure what year it was made?

Anonymous

905th guitar made during June of 1980

Anonymous

My Takamine guitar is a F349 Serial #80060905Q

Anonymous

like new. It is solid mahogany. curious the value???

Anonymous

Bought a Takamine guitar at a pawn shop for $140, the dealer said it was an f340. Was a 1992 f349. He misread the number. So are they solid top, back, and sides? Also I saw a few on eBay for around $500 is that an accurate value? It is a great guitar, very full tone and great projection, it’s a keeper for sure.

Anonymous

According to a earlier post on this site (about the Takamine model number conventions) on Tue, 05/29/2012 – 05:28 by “Jeff”:

“- only F + 3 digit (XXX) model number (eg, 360) = non-solid top and non-solid sides and back
        – add letter E before the F and model number (eg, EF XXX) = built-in onboard electronics at factory
        – add letter m after the number (eg, XXXm) = maple wood sides and back
        – add letter k after the number (eg, XXXk) = koa wood sides and back
        – add 1 letter s after the number (eg, XXXs) = solid top and non-solid sides and back
        – add 2 letter s after the number (eg, XXXss) = solid top and solid sides and back (quite rare to find)

it is possible to combine the letters (F 370sk, EF 375ss)

Jeff

I own a Takamine F349, purchased for me by my father in 1978 (new); it is all mahogany (top, back, sides), with rosewood fingerboard and bridge (Takamine’s website gives specifications, including discontinued models, if you search by model number.) The 1978 F349 is one of the “lawsuit models”; but as earlier posts have stated, Martin didn’t actually file a lawsuit, they sent a cease and desist letter, and Takamine changed the headstock lettering to be less “Martin-like” in appearance. That may make the 1978 and other “lawsuit model” years fetch a bit more than later models like yours (after the headstock change), if someone’s a collector.

My guitar still sounds and looks as good as it did in its youth. I’ve changed the strings, replaced a couple of bridge pins; and in 2015 while living in Austin, I had it evaluated. The technician offered to buy it if I planned to sell. 🙂 I’ve seen the vintage F349 models priced from $300 – $475 and recently from $650 – $800 – but as always, it depends on who’s interested and the guitar’s condition. (One of the higher-priced models is almost as clean as the one I own, so the 1978 may fetch the $699.99 they’re asking if the right buyer appears. They’re getting hard to find.

It sounds like the 1992 you purchased was great deal; and if it performs the way mine has all these years, your investment is a good one. Enjoy!

Cyndi

Anonymous

Hi I have a family guitar that we’ve had its whole life. I’m interested in saling it. I’m from Northern California. Email me if anyone is interested

Anonymous

hey all, i’m in melbourne australia and have a f-389 12 string sounds amazing, does anyone know how much i could get for it as i have too many guitars and unfortunately
      have to part with a few.
      Cheers

Anonymous

I just bought use Takamine F – 349 1962 est ,is this mean it’s make 1962 or is when the company start?
      The company not make this model any more…why??
      When is the last time they make this model?

Anonymous

1962 is when takamine was established. To determine when it was made look inside towards the neck and you’ll see the serial number. The first two digits are the year made the next two digits are the month the next two digits are the day of that month and the last digits is the number of the guitar made on that particular day. So, for example, my F-349 has serial number 84050898. So it was the 98th one made on may 8th, 1984. This is for al l F model guitars. G model guitars are different.

Anonymous

8405 is May of 1984.

0898 means it was the 898th guitar made for that month.

So, your Takamine was the 898th guitar made during the month of May in 1984.

I went to looking at serial numbers, and the day was never included– only the month and the year.

I have an F-349 with a serial number 79020586, so it was the 586th guitar made during the month of February in 1979. Just clearing up the serial number for you so you can spread the knowledge. Thumbs up to you for owning this fantastic guitar all the same!

Anonymous

I ve bought a Takamine . Mod nr is f 349 ss. and serial number is 86050246. I have the new type headstock. Its a very good sound in it. i love it.
      What is a good fair price for that gitar?

Anonymous

That is an all solid wood guitar. As with almost any guitar it’s worth what someone will pay. I wouldn’t take less than $1,000 but holding on to it is best as it will continue to rise in value and is a good investment. Assuming it’s in excellent condition. 9R

Anonymous

here are the model number conventions for the Takamine F series lawsuit guitars

– only F + 3 digit (XXX) model number (eg, 360) = non-solid top and non-solid sides and back
      – add letter E before the F and model number (eg, EF XXX) = built-in onboard electronics at factory
      – add letter m after the number (eg, XXXm) = maple wood sides and back
      – add letter k after the number (eg, XXXk) = koa wood sides and back
      – add 1 letter s after the number (eg, XXXs) = solid top and non-solid sides and back
      – add 2 letter s after the number (eg, XXXss) = solid top and solid sides and back (quite rare to find)

it is possible to combine the letters (F 370sk, EF 375ss)

Jeff

Anonymous

: I have recently purchased a 1979 Takamine F-349 guitar. The seller said that the top, sides, and back were made of solid mahogany. Does anyone know if that is correct or is the top only solid? Thanks. I just recently bought a 1979 Takamine F349 on ebay & noticed that it has an ornamental strip of darb binding covering the inner perimeter of the soundhole, so to discover if the top is solid or not would be difficult, if not impossible, without removing this strip of binding. I assume all the 349s have this strip in the soundhole, it definitely is original to the instrument. It is bit hard to see this strip as it blends it so well with the mahogany color of the top. The tone of the guitar is nice, not a lot of bass, but very clear & balanced with good sustain. I would not say it is a an exceptional instrument, but it’s a good sounding guitar; I have an Alvarez 5059 with a solid spruce top that sounds similar with more bass response than the Tak. Comparing it to my other acoustics (I have 7) my particular 349 stood up pretty well, I have 2 Ibanez J-200 copys, a Takamine F360S, the Alvarez 5059, A Mountain D-42 copy & a Ventura V231S. The 349 while it could not compare with the big sound of the Jumbos, my Jumbos having more volume & a deeper warm bass response, it does hold up well compared to the F360S & the Mountain, which is a solid wood guitar. I would say the tone of this 349 is very well balanced, the notes very clear & bright, less warm than I thought a mahogany bodied guitar would be, & not muddy at all, with less bass response than a rosewood guitar. It’s a fairly loud guitar, very cutting. I am pretty pleased with the instrument overall, though I wish it had a bit more bass in the lower strings. The action is very good, it is extremely easy to play; the action is actually a tad too low as the lower E buzzes slightly when strummed hard, but this is easily remedied. A nice guitar though & very pleasing to the eye.

Anonymous

I would be doubtful that a takamine would be all solid wood constructed, but I’m no authority. If you will look at the edges of the wood around the soundhole, you will be able to see if the grain runs all the way through the thickness of the wood or whether the top is a laminate. It’s quite likely a solid top. To check up on the back and sides is more difficult. You’ll have to study the grain of each piece from the inside of the guitar, to find unusual grain patterns and markings. If they match what is on the outside of the guitar then you’ve got solid woods. But remember that the outside of the guitar is stained and finished, so don’t expect to see exactly the same thing.
      I’m curious about the "lawsuit model" that you mentioned.
      Sincerely, Silky John

Anonymous

I know this is 2 decades after your post but if you go to Takamine’s website, even though the F349 has been discontinued due to the Martin copyright issue, they have the specs for this guitar. The top, sides, back, and neck are all listed as Mahogany. It’s solid wood not veneer.

Anonymous

Hi. I bought one at a swap meet about 6 months ago. It needed new strings and a brace re-glued. I put a similar notice to yours on before and so far there has been no follow-up. I’m curious about the lawsuit model. What was that about? Pat.

Anonymous

: Hi. I bought one at a swap meet about 6 months ago. It needed new strings and a brace re-glued. I put a similar notice to yours on before and so far there has been no follow-up. I’m curious about the lawsuit model. What was that about? : Pat.

Anonymous

Yeah I also bought a F-349 at a giutar show.Other than changing the strings I’ve done nothing else to it.From what I understand,there was a lawsuit brought on by Martin,and I can see why.Takamine got it right,it’s top,back,and sides are solid mahogany.Not only does this guitar play fantastic it sounds great.If you come across one ,buy it,it’s one of the best player giutars I’ve seen. Yeah,I also bought a F-349 at a guitar show.Other than changing strings,I’ve done nothing else to this guitar.It plays and sounds fantastic.As far as the lawsuit,from what I’ve been told,yes there was one,and I can understand why,Takamine got it right.While it’s not a Martin by name,it sure is one by sound and playability.It was only made for one year 1979.If you find one in good condition,buy it.

Anonymous

i have an EF-349 (built 8-92) and a rare F-389 12-string that looks identical to the 349, both are constructed from solid mahogany, top, back, neck, and sides. The 389 was built 4-88 but not shipped to a dealer until early 1992 when I got it. Perhaps it had to sit around while the lawsuit got sorted out? From what I understand, Takamine was served an injunction to cease making such close copies of the D17. This is probably why they changed the headstock design. I have examined a D-17 (identical to a 349) and found that the bracing underneath the top is identical. I’m guessing that this was the source of the lawsuit, since it’s very difficult to construct a mahogany-top guitar with good tonal balance. Both my mahogany taks are superb-sounding. However, i don’t think Takamine makes mahogany-topped guitars anymore. It would be interesting to know more about the lawsuit.

Anonymous

Hi there guys, I am looking for one of these and will pay top dollar for one! My uncle had one of these 12 strings for years (and he still does) and the sound that he could get from this thing on Gordon Lightfoot stuff was unbeatable (unfortunately the guitar itself wasn’t and the crap has literally been beat out of it over many years). I live in La Tabatiere, Quebec, Canada and I want to get one of these, with or without electronics (preferably without).If you have one and you’d be willing to part with it, I’d love to have it. The only condition is that the action and condition of this guitar must be of top quality. I have a Tak EF-381 which is about 6 years old and I would be happy to trade with you if you have one that plays great, sounds great, looks great and stays in tune great. Let me know what you think and maybe we can make a deal

Anonymous

: i have an EF-349 (built 8-92) and a rare F-389 12-string that looks identical to the 349, both are constructed from solid mahogany, top, back, neck, and sides. The 389 was built 4-88 but not shipped to a dealer until early 1992 when I got it. Perhaps it had to sit around while the lawsuit got sorted out? From what I understand, Takamine was served an injunction to cease making such close copies of the D17. This is probably why they changed the headstock design. I have examined a D-17 (identical to a 349) and found that the bracing underneath the top is identical. I’m guessing that this was the source of the lawsuit, since it’s very difficult to construct a mahogany-top guitar with good tonal balance. Both my mahogany taks are superb-sounding. However, i don’t think Takamine makes mahogany-topped guitars anymore. It would be interesting to know more about the lawsuit.

Anonymous

hey joel, ya wouldn’t think about considering trading axes with me? I need your 12 string man! well, it is your decision, it’s not like I’m "pressuring" you now, am I? hey….it was worth a try! hehe take it easy…darc

Anonymous

The lawsuit was launched by Martin against Takamine because they were copying a little too closely the Martin D models (D-17 it would seem).

Anonymous

: The lawsuit was launched by Martin against Takamine because they were copying a little too closely the Martin D models (D-17 it would seem). Actually, there was NO lawsuit by Martin or even a threat of one…another urban myth. If you go to Takamine’s own website you will find that the F-349 is not listed as a solid top or solid back/sides. Here is the link: http://www.takamine.com/index.cfm?fa=detail&mid=1065&sid=351 Jeff

Anonymous

All the old takamines with the simple martin like headstock and martin style headstock text and logo were designed to appear martin like and the copy was so similar and the intent to compete directly with Martin Model by model so obvious that Martin sued takamine for infringement of protected design and unfair competition. Martin won and takamine changed its headstock design and its logotype style to an origional style. (rather ugly but there you are.) iii

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.