Guitarsite Homepage Forums Discussion Popular Topics Fender Sunn Mustang

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

I was given this guitar in good condition last year. It is a black Fender Mustang (Sunn written on the neck by the machine heads). Does anyone have any idea of it’s value as I have never seen another. Is this a rare guitar? Is it worth anything?

Related Article:
    Fender Multi-Effects Pedal

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

“If you got an early one with made in India on headstock – truss rod access again on headstock and stripe on back of neck and double humbucker in the bridge position- you’ve got the best one. I’m told the neck and body are Fender, as for the pickups the humbucker is allegedly a di marzio and the middle and neck I was told were Lace but having took one apart there is no manufacturer’s logo on them. They were quality guitars back then and made under licence.”

I have all of the above except for the neck spec – my adjustment point in the heel of the neck. As for the Di Marzio humbucker I couldn’t say … I do however have Aug 76 stamped on the heel of the neck which I’m led to believe isn’t possible. If anyone can confirm this I’d be grateful as I I’m only stating what I see. History is sketchy at best on these models – the original came in 3 colours – red, black & white, all of which sported the humbucker in the bridge and that’s about all I can find.

Anonymous

Looking for a good straight Sunn Mustang Bass neck, snapped the truss rod in mine, beyond economical repair.

Message me should you have one for a reasonable price. UK based.

Mat

Anonymous

Ref the Trevor Smith Q, is he asking about the cream semi-glittery finish, one of the 3 standard finishes on the early models, others being black and red.
      David Jackson

Anonymous

Hi did the indian sunn mustang come in a mottled finish ?? or it could be called stardust i suppose

Anonymous

If you got an early one with made in India on headstock – truss rod access again on headstock and stripe on back of neck and double humbucker in the bridge position- you’ve got the best one. I’m told the neck and body are Fender, as for the pickups the humbucker is allegedly a di marzio and the middle and neck I was told were Lace but having took one apart there is no manufacturers logo on them. They were quality guitars back then and made under licence.
      The difference between a true 70s Strat and one of these is the slightly different pick guard shape and the Sunn only has 10 screw holes compared to Fenders 11 so you can’t put a fully loaded Fender scratch plate onto it, change machine heads, neck bolt plate and hey presto have a full on Fender which is a shame as it would be better than a late model Mexican in my opinion.
      If you need to know the pick up make to replace them like for like I don’t think it’s important on what they were as long as you get the right size to fit and there’s so much choice now I wouldn’t know where to start.

Anonymous

I own a sunn Mustang made in india. its was bought by my grandpa during 1982. I need to know the pickups used my sunn mustang. Its a stock guitar

Anonymous

I learnt to play on a all black one that I got for my sixteenth birthday about 18 years ago. No longer have it unfortunately but it was a great starter guitar, nice sound, but the body split around the tremlo as I whammied it a bit too hard. Managed to fix it though luckily. It had a nice feeling on the neck which was made of maple. Loved it, wish I still had it. I ended up doing a swap with it for a cheap b.c.rich warlock copy which looked good but sounded terrible. I would recommend a sunn to anyone.

Anonymous

I have my Sunn Mustang (by Fender) already for 10 (!!!) years and I still love this guitar. I play it every day and; lately I’m planning to buy a real fender strat; I hope this would feel the same… it ‘s a lovely guitar for a lovely price. I think now the sunn mustang is replaced by the entire Squier range…

Anonymous

Heh,Got a sunn mustang about 2months ago….for free found it lying about in my school principles office.Its a copy of fender but made in India.Brought it to expert said it was a great guitar,durable and had got good sustain.Even though they are relatively cheap,they are becomiung rare enough,so I,ve decided to keep mine and do it up,because its a bit different than todays guitars.You gotta have something unique!I certainly aint got no probs with it anyway.

Anonymous

The Sunn mustang plays like a dream. I was given it by my sister and i have never wanted another guitar since. The pick ups are brill, the slim neck design and finish make it smashing. Fender should be proud cos i am. Mike

Anonymous

i’ve borrowed one off a mate of mine and frankly it’s a top guitar! clearly though it ain’t worth much and sounds like a bag of nails when plugged in. But it plays great and is top for twanging away all day. It’s all black and looks pretty good.

Anonymous

I’m about to buy a second hand sunn mustang strat (sunburn) with an amp and other equipment for like 200 euro’s… I don’t think it’s value is comparable with an original strat…

Anonymous

I got an all black one 2 years ago, great starter guitar, £60 with amp + equipment, I’ve never seen another one though

Anonymous

I use mine every day. it hasn’t messed up on me too much. it is a good starter guitar but it just doesn’t look the best.

Anonymous

I got a red and white sunn mustang bout a year ago, second hand like. for £40

Anonymous

I rather doubt that it’s worth anything much. I just picked one up for £40 (approx $60)and I would think that’s about right

Anonymous

yeah man i got a black and white fender sunn mustang and i bought mine 2nd hand for £45

Anonymous

where can i find a black and white Fender Mustang like the one used in the movie "Eddie and the Cruisers II: Eddie Lives!"??

Anonymous

: yeah man i got a black and black fender sunn mustang and i bought mine 2nd hand for 60 euro

Anonymous

i have a sunnmustang bass and i have no idea of the value but i just want to know what u think of ures?

Anonymous

i say it would be about $1000-$3000 even though i dont have one or seen this specific one

Anonymous

Hi, i’m a beginning guitar student and i bought the guitar you’re talking about 2nd hand for a 100 euros… prices were lower than usual that week, so the combination of second hand and that reduction did the trick (and yes: as far as i have experienced the guitar is in good shape 😉

Anonymous

Hi! i’m from germany so please don’t look at my bad english. I have a red and white Fender sunn mustang..it’s my first and i love it! I bought it in a shop in the netherlands for about 300 euro with equipement…thats not too bad..and i’m so happy with it!

Anonymous

Are you mental? $1000-$3000? u must be crazy i own this guitar as my brother passed it down to me. Its alright.

Anonymous

Are we taliking about the same guitars here…there’s the Sunn Mustang with the classic Fender headstock and there’s models that have a variation of headstock…mine have been upgraded and resprayed in Fiesta Red and apart from the fact it has 22 frets they now look like ’62 Strats

Anonymous

Hi. I have a Sunn Mustang in black and in very good condition. I took it to a Fender dealer to be set up and the owner is a Fender collector – there’s little he doesn’t know about them. I asked about mine and he said it’s a good guitar – better than the Sqier. I paid £100 for it a couple of years ago, and I’m now told it’s worth £200! Good eh!

Anonymous

hey…I have a red sunn mustang, i paid aroung £50 for it. Does anyone know how much it would be worth?

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.