Guitarsite Homepage Forums Discussion Popular Topics Roost Valve Amps – any info?!

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

Is there anybody around that has any information about Roost valve amps (British made). I have one, which I believe to be an ST22 100W, and I’ve played it for the past 10 years – it’s ok, but I’ve never heard of Roost before!
    Can anyone shed any light on this for me (i.e. History of Roost – Roost’s general ranking etc.)
    Thanks,
    Aaron.

Related Article:
    Best Cheap Tube Amps

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

Hi I’ve got one of these cabinets. Reckon it’s worth anything? It’s too loud for me these days. No amp.

Anonymous

High can anyone tell me if this is a good amp I was a little disappointed to find it was not a valve amp.i did pay a lot for it thinking it was a valve one. Any info date of manufacturing… Desirability .. Value… Cheers Hugh

Anonymous

http://www.dream-tool.net/tools/messages.mv?index+roostmessageboard Apparently Andy Duke, the chap that put the excellent Roost website together (www.renton-world.com/roost/) has also sorted out a message board. A link to it will soon be added to the Roost website (Andy emailed me about this) but, in the mean time, you can use the direct link above. Roost-o-phile

Anonymous

It looks like Terry Bateman and Andy Duke have updated their website AND Roost now has its own domain. http://www.roostamps.com Bring it on! The secret it out. Brilliant site too. Roost-o-phile : http://www.dream-tool.net/tools/messages.mv?index+roostmessageboard : Apparently Andy Duke, the chap that put the excellent Roost website together (www.renton-world.com/roost/) has also sorted out a message board. : A link to it will soon be added to the Roost website (Andy emailed me about this) but, in the mean time, you can use the direct link above. : Roost-o-phile

Anonymous

we own a roost amp it has only one volume knob no further controls. on the label it say’s is 200 watts it has 6 el 34 tubes 2 ecc83 i beleve its a rare amp and we like to biuld it to an bassguitar amp. as origional as possible doed annyone have schematics of an roost bassamp preamp section and i’m looking for the origional logo the amp looks like a roost 120 guitar amp . thanks thanks thanks .

Anonymous

Hi All, I worked at Roost between 1975 & 1980; in fact it was my first job from leaving school. I built amps and did a bit of R+D, if you still want more info I can post quite a bit of information on the range etc. Terry Bateman.

Anonymous

What do you know about the MTM Session Combo? Looks exactly the same as the Roost Session Master, and is made by Roost Sound Equipment LTD.

Anonymous

do you have access to a wiring diagram for a roost sr 100 serial no approx 13000 and odd? it has been completely serviced but we need to know output values for transformers as it has been previously replaced with a part of unknown and untraceable origin!! >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> : Hi All, : I worked at Roost between 1975 & 1980; in fact it was my first job from leaving school. I built amps and did a bit of R+D, if you still want more info I can post quite a bit of information on the range etc. : Terry Bateman.

Anonymous

There is a new website that I’ve come across that deals exclusively with Roost amps. They’ve got schematics and loads of photos on the site. It’s about time! http://www.renton-world.com/roost/

Anonymous

: Is there anybody around that has any information about Roost valve amps (British made). I have one, which I believe to be an ST22 100W, and I’ve played it for the past 10 years – it’s ok, but I’ve never heard of Roost before! : Can anyone shed any light on this for me (i.e. History of Roost – Roost’s general ranking etc.) : Thanks, : Aaron. I had one, long time ago. It had, I think, something to do with fane, the speaker manufacture. Not sure. This is what I found: "English brand, the Roost ST22 is from 1976. A design reminiscent of the right-on Hiwatt and a Marshall-oriented tone, throws us into the rock style of the 70’s. Roost wanted to go further Marshall-like in its saturation and this amp is probably a precursor of the hi gain amps like Soldano or Mesa. Ease of use of the commands, no reverb, the top Roost is intended for grinding rhythmics and Metal followers seeking big sound on stage or in rehearsal. The pre-amp has two inputs with separated volume controls and a general volume. This one does not react like a master volume: to take advantage of the amp saturation, you have to play loud. The output stage is equipped with an EL34 quartet, which easily delivers 120W under 8 Ohms.The circuitery is implanted on a printed circuit board inside the chassis. This one is pre drilled and can receive 6 output tubes, probably for a bass head.The cabling is badly designed and creates a buzz. I struggled to modify it, in particular ground distribution, to make the amp quiet. Earplugs required! This amp is not designed for choir-boys. Heavy metal before its time, the well compressed tone of the Roost will keep sustain amateurs happy. Playing rhythm, the clean and poweful bass changes radically the Marshall-like tone. Playing lead, the low buzz saturation is not agressive. A real joy" Yes, I remembered they sounded more like a Hi Watt than Marshall and hookep up on a 4×12 you’re pants would flabber. If you could stand the volume you got rewarded with a very very smooth sustain and nice feedbacking guitar. Unfortunately, it was usseless in small clubs.

Anonymous

Hi, I owned one in the early 80s, it was a 50W top with corresponding 2×12 cabinet. I bought it new around 1979/1980. The sound was not so similar to a Marshall, it was smoother somehow and the Roost was more affordable for a poor student. I played Rock music and plugged my guitars straight into the amp, with prevolume full and master at 3 I could get a fine saturated sustainful tone, yet already quite loud. I played an Ibanez Flying V corina and a Washburn A10 (great metal axe!) through it and was quite happy how it sounded. Later I sold it to get a Music Man combo which was smaller and more versatile. Yet I still have the cabinet, it contains 2 Celestion 50W speakers. Cheers, Klaus

Anonymous

Hi All, I sort of forgot about the oginal postings I did on the guitar site com, but since posting the original I’ve had a steady flow of e-mails from up to 11 Roost users who have seen the original posting – amazing stuff! It’s the first time in eighteen moths since I’ve looked at the guitar site com site and noticed some new postings have appeared. I’ll try and answer them but if you do not hear anything or need some more info e-mail me on [email protected] I’ll try and help but Roost was part of my life 24 to 28 years ago and the old memory is flagging a bit – to muck rock ‘n’ roll etc… Regards. Terry.

Anonymous

My name is Dejan and I’m from Slovenija. I own Roost Sesion Master 60W combo with reverb. I bought it from my brother long ago. He bought it new in London aprox. 20-25 years ago, so it was always in the family. I own Marshall and Peavy amps but Roost have a special place in my heart. I’d like to renew my Roost but I can’t without amp shematic. Can you help me? Can you give me some tip to renew my Roost regularly? I would be very hapy if you can help me. Dejan Markoviè

Anonymous

Hi All, Roost sound equipment was started back in 1972 by Brian Roost (hence the name) and Ron bailey, who were both local musicians based in Southend-On-Sea, Essex, they were also at the time fixing amps for the local music shops and bands. The Roost amp is similar to the Hi Watt amplifier with a little bit of the early 100W Sound City amp throwen for good mesure. The early amps also used Sound City transformers, as Sound City were also built in Southend at the same time. The Early amps had a black engraved front panel similar to the Hi Watt amplifier; the circuitry was built on tag panels, whilst the later amplifiers had black screen-printed metal front panel; and the circuitry was then built on a Printed Circuit Board. The range consisted of 50, 100 & 150 Watt amp heads with the option of reverb, the later units had a master volume control, there was also a range of 2×12 50 & 100 Watt combo amplifiers, both available with reverb, there was also a range of speakers to go with the amplifiers 2×12, 4×12, 1×15 & 2×15 early units had Fane speakers but the later units had Celestion speakers, there was also the option of EV as well. The amplifiers were of a rugged construction with a hefty steel chassis and large transformers, the 50 and 100W amplifiers gave a good 50 & 100 Watts RMS output, whilst the 150 Watt gave 125 Watts but it did have six EL34’s (viz Sound City 120 head). The circuit was well engineered and gave the typical British valve sound. The driver and output stage gave a lot of grunt, typical of the Hi Watt and Sound City circuits. I remember the 120 Watt amp with its six EL34’s making a good Bass amp, whilst the 50 watt really “sung” I first got involved in Roost in 1975, whilst at school, and looking for bits (transformers chassis etc) to build my own guitar amplifier, I went on to spent that summer working at Roost, and in exchange they gave me parts to build my own amplifiers, I went on to join Roost full time the next year when I left school, the experience I gained working at Roost building Roost amplifiers & fixing + hotting up other makes of amplifiers is invaluable even to this day, Roost never had more than eight employees, in fact when I joined there were only four employees including me. Roost was sold in 1980 to FAL who were based in Leeds, I was also made redundant when Roost was sold, and so I moved on, I now work for a local Hi-fi company as a design engineer, but I still fix and work on valve amplifiers for local musicians. Sadly I do not have a Roost amplifier and I would love to see one or even own one again. If you want more info or just want to ask questions don’t hesitate to contact me

Anonymous

hi,, I have a FAL 120 watt amp, (it also has the word MERLIN written on it).. I’m trying to sell it as my parents are moving home and its too bulky to move around with them… any ideas what kind of price I should ask?? and where I might find a buyer? marc [email protected] 07940 800 835 ——————————— ——————————— : Hi All, : Roost sound equipment was started back in 1972 by Brian Roost (hence the name) and Ron bailey, who were both local musicians based in Southend-On-Sea, Essex, they were also at the time fixing amps for the local music shops and bands. The Roost amp is similar to the Hi Watt amplifier with a little bit of the early 100W Sound City amp throwen for good mesure. The early amps also used Sound City transformers, as Sound City were also built in Southend at the same time. The Early amps had a black engraved front panel similar to the Hi Watt amplifier; the circuitry was built on tag panels, whilst the later amplifiers had black screen-printed metal front panel; and the circuitry was then built on a Printed Circuit Board. : The range consisted of 50, 100 & 150 Watt amp heads with the option of reverb, the later units had a master volume control, there was also a range of 2×12 50 & 100 Watt combo amplifiers, both available with reverb, there was also a range of speakers to go with the amplifiers 2×12, 4×12, 1×15 & 2×15 early units had Fane speakers but the later units had Celestion speakers, there was also the option of EV as well. : The amplifiers were of a rugged construction with a hefty steel chassis and large transformers, the 50 and 100W amplifiers gave a good 50 & 100 Watts RMS output, whilst the 150 Watt gave 125 Watts but it did have six EL34’s (viz Sound City 120 head). The circuit was well engineered and gave the typical British valve sound. The driver and output stage gave a lot of grunt, typical of the Hi Watt and Sound City circuits. I remember the 120 Watt amp with its six EL34’s making a good Bass amp, whilst the 50 watt really “sung” : : I first got involved in Roost in 1975, whilst at school, and looking for bits (transformers chassis etc) to build my own guitar amplifier, I went on to spent that summer working at Roost, and in exchange they gave me parts to build my own amplifiers, I went on to join Roost full time the next year when I left school, the experience I gained working at Roost building Roost amplifiers & fixing + hotting up other makes of amplifiers is invaluable even to this day, Roost never had more than eight employees, in fact when I joined there were only four employees including me. : Roost was sold in 1980 to FAL who were based in Leeds, I was also made redundant when Roost was sold, and so I moved on, I now work for a local Hi-fi company as a design engineer, but I still fix and work on valve amplifiers for local musicians. : Sadly I do not have a Roost amplifier and I would love to see one or even own one again. If you want more info or just want to ask questions don’t hesitate to contact me : : :

Anonymous

: Hi All, : I have a Roost Session Master that has the screen printed control panel and the circuit on tag strips. It was origonally built as a 4by12" combo with 25watt Fane speakers, but I have removed the head from the speakers for ease of transport and also removed two power tubes to tame the beast; it sounds amazing! This amp lives in australia, although I am currently working in the U.K. and would love to track down one to use over here, anyone have one for sale? These follow ups are little awkward to send, so sorry if I have put my name to other peoples words-woops; my mistake. : : :

Anonymous

: Hi All, : Roost sound equipment was started back in 1972 by Brian Roost (hence the name) and Ron bailey, who were both local musicians based in Southend-On-Sea, Essex, they were also at the time fixing amps for the local music shops and bands. The Roost amp is similar to the Hi Watt amplifier with a little bit of the early 100W Sound City amp throwen for good mesure. The early amps also used Sound City transformers, as Sound City were also built in Southend at the same time. The Early amps had a black engraved front panel similar to the Hi Watt amplifier; the circuitry was built on tag panels, whilst the later amplifiers had black screen-printed metal front panel; and the circuitry was then built on a Printed Circuit Board. : The range consisted of 50, 100 & 150 Watt amp heads with the option of reverb, the later units had a master volume control, there was also a range of 2×12 50 & 100 Watt combo amplifiers, both available with reverb, there was also a range of speakers to go with the amplifiers 2×12, 4×12, 1×15 & 2×15 early units had Fane speakers but the later units had Celestion speakers, there was also the option of EV as well. : The amplifiers were of a rugged construction with a hefty steel chassis and large transformers, the 50 and 100W amplifiers gave a good 50 & 100 Watts RMS output, whilst the 150 Watt gave 125 Watts but it did have six EL34’s (viz Sound City 120 head). The circuit was well engineered and gave the typical British valve sound. The driver and output stage gave a lot of grunt, typical of the Hi Watt and Sound City circuits. I remember the 120 Watt amp with its six EL34’s making a good Bass amp, whilst the 50 watt really “sung” : : I first got involved in Roost in 1975, whilst at school, and looking for bits (transformers chassis etc) to build my own guitar amplifier, I went on to spent that summer working at Roost, and in exchange they gave me parts to build my own amplifiers, I went on to join Roost full time the next year when I left school, the experience I gained working at Roost building Roost amplifiers & fixing + hotting up other makes of amplifiers is invaluable even to this day, Roost never had more than eight employees, in fact when I joined there were only four employees including me. : Roost was sold in 1980 to FAL who were based in Leeds, I was also made redundant when Roost was sold, and so I moved on, I now work for a local Hi-fi company as a design engineer, but I still fix and work on valve amplifiers for local musicians. : Sadly I do not have a Roost amplifier and I would love to see one or even own one again. If you want more info or just want to ask questions don’t hesitate to contact me : : :

Anonymous

: : Hi All, : : Roost sound equipment was started back in 1972 by Brian Roost (hence the name) and Ron bailey, who were both local musicians based in Southend-On-Sea, Essex, they were also at the time fixing amps for the local music shops and bands. The Roost amp is similar to the Hi Watt amplifier with a little bit of the early 100W Sound City amp throwen for good mesure. The early amps also used Sound City transformers, as Sound City were also built in Southend at the same time. The Early amps had a black engraved front panel similar to the Hi Watt amplifier; the circuitry was built on tag panels, whilst the later amplifiers had black screen-printed metal front panel; and the circuitry was then built on a Printed Circuit Board. : : The range consisted of 50, 100 & 150 Watt amp heads with the option of reverb, the later units had a master volume control, there was also a range of 2×12 50 & 100 Watt combo amplifiers, both available with reverb, there was also a range of speakers to go with the amplifiers 2×12, 4×12, 1×15 & 2×15 early units had Fane speakers but the later units had Celestion speakers, there was also the option of EV as well. : : The amplifiers were of a rugged construction with a hefty steel chassis and large transformers, the 50 and 100W amplifiers gave a good 50 & 100 Watts RMS output, whilst the 150 Watt gave 125 Watts but it did have six EL34’s (viz Sound City 120 head). The circuit was well engineered and gave the typical British valve sound. The driver and output stage gave a lot of grunt, typical of the Hi Watt and Sound City circuits. I remember the 120 Watt amp with its six EL34’s making a good Bass amp, whilst the 50 watt really “sung” : : : : I first got involved in Roost in 1975, whilst at school, and looking for bits (transformers chassis etc) to build my own guitar amplifier, I went on to spent that summer working at Roost, and in exchange they gave me parts to build my own amplifiers, I went on to join Roost full time the next year when I left school, the experience I gained working at Roost building Roost amplifiers & fixing + hotting up other makes of amplifiers is invaluable even to this day, Roost never had more than eight employees, in fact when I joined there were only four employees including me. : : Roost was sold in 1980 to FAL who were based in Leeds, I was also made redundant when Roost was sold, and so I moved on, I now work for a local Hi-fi company as a design engineer, but I still fix and work on valve amplifiers for local musicians. : : Sadly I do not have a Roost amplifier and I would love to see one or even own one again. If you want more info or just want to ask questions don’t hesitate to contact me Hello Terry; I live in Canada. I purchased one of the first 100 watt tops. I still use. Although it has been heavily modified over the years. I was in the UK in ’89 and had a chance to pick up several used ROOST amps for next to nothing, but I had no where to store them while I stayed in London. I’ve seen a used ROOST for auction on Ebay USA and another on Ebay UK. No one bid on either one. These amps had great potential. I’d love another one but I can’t seem to find one that’s priced fairly. I kept the original bill of sale and I’ll add here that I’ve owned Hi-Watts and these are two different designs. Similar in appearance…yes! Which is better? Neither! Both are different from each other. Having worked on the ROOST I’d say ROOST’s yield a warmer softer sound once they have been worked over. Some of a "sixties vibe" are in these amps, but as they were built in the 70’s they have a "bright edge" Mine would blow up often untill I had it "done up" in Winnipeg by Gar Gillis "Mr. Garnet Amplifier " today we can buy used re-issue Plexi tops and the like, not to suggest these are better than ROOST, but they are more or less "plug in and play" units, whereas ROOST was a more geared for the pro player of the day. Keep the faith Tim : : : : : :

Anonymous

Dear Tim, Have a look at the following website: http://www.roostamps.com It’s a brilliant ‘Roost Themed’ website of which Terry Bateman is a regular contributor and I reckon that some of your input would be much appreciated. Keep Roosting, Dan

Anonymous

i have the cance to buy a roost amp for 30 punds sterling,but i dont know what model it is it has 2*12" speakers and is 100 watts is it woth it and what are they worth. cheers fromn dave hope to hear from u soon.

Anonymous

:i have been using my roost 50 watt combo for 12-14 years and will die in posession of it! I know this reply is a bit late but I hope you bought it. If you did, your ears are telling you how much it is worth (presuming you tried it loud) – amazing!

Anonymous

The only information I have on ROOST is that I worked in a band during the 70’s with Mike Ward who I beleive was had the USA distribution rights for ROOST.

Anonymous

: Hi All, : I have just come about a mint condition 2×12 Roost speaker cab fitted with McKenzie speaker cones for 15 quid. Does anyone have any info on McKenzie, how do they rate with Fane Cressendo etc. I was under the impression that Roost used Fanes , they obviously didn’t with there 2×12 cabs. This is a really nic cab with funky silver grill cloth and great Hiwatt esque Roost logo. Top!!!

Anonymous

I’ve just bought a Roost amplifier. It says ‘session master’ on the front and is in 2×12 combo format, with Celestions. It has four input sockets, two normal and two brilliant. It weighs a ton but looks really cool. I’m having difficulty getting a good clean sound though. I think it’s been left in a garage for some time so it may need some TLC. Any advice?

Anonymous

HI , i ve got an Roost 150 w with 6 EL 34 s, but my 50 W hiwatt is louder! Look also for info & schem: http://persoweb.francenet.fr/~liegeois/roost.html Anyone got other roosts?there was also tube combos…

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.