Tatay Guitars

Posted by Bob on Wed, 02/27/02 - 08:30:40.
Advertisement

Anybody have any information on Tatay guitars?

V. Tatay was a luthier in New York in the '50s and '60s.

Bob

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: Tatay Guitars

They are manafactured in Spain and the shop is still open and manufactuing guitars, I have heard about the Tatay in NY, and the 'stories' about him, but don't know anything solid about his work. If you contact the factory they can probally give you some history and model info.

: Anybody have any information on Tatay guitars?

: V. Tatay was a luthier in New York in the '50s and '60s.

: Bob

estimados amigos desde venezuela les escribo ya que estoy interesada en adquirir varios modelos de guitarra y quisera me enviaran la informacion de ustedes, yo tengo una tienda grande en venezuela y me interesa..
yeni rojas

hello, im from spain an vicente tatay was the granfather of my father (Emilio Tatay Marti). The guitars factory was open in 1899 in Paterna Valencia, but many time ago was sold to a Japoness´s company.I know that i have family (uncles) in NY but i never meet they, and i like do it so much. i didnt know that the factory followed in NY... iwill ask to my father.i enjoy to know someting from my family of there, and that stories that somebody say(gt). thanks and sorry for my english.Saludos desde España.

: hello, im from spain an vicente tatay was the granfather of my father (Emilio Tatay Marti). The guitars factory was open in 1899 in Paterna Valencia, but many time ago was sold to a Japoness´s company.I know that i have family (uncles) in NY but i never meet they, and i like do it so much. i didnt know that the factory followed in NY... iwill ask to my father.i enjoy to know someting from my family of there, and that stories that somebody say(gt). thanks and sorry for my english.Saludos desde España.

: : hello, im from spain an vicente tatay was the granfather of my father (Emilio Tatay Marti). The guitars factory was open in 1899 in Paterna Valencia, but many time ago was sold to a Japoness´s company.I know that i have family (uncles) in NY but i never meet they, and i like do it so much. i didnt know that the factory followed in NY... iwill ask to my father.i enjoy to know someting from my family of there, and that stories that somebody say(gt). thanks and sorry for my english.Saludos desde España.

I have a Vicente Tatay guitar and I am trying to locate more information about them . It was made in Barcelona, Spain and is numbered. Could the above person contact me by email? Thanks

Tatay Guitar Puerto Rico

I traded some work in Remodeling for a Tatay Guitar about twenty years ago in a City called Caguas in Puerto Rico. The guitar has Pressed in the wood the name Vicente Tatay. I fixed it up and am very fond of it,

Tatay Guitar - Caguas

Saludos:Amigo de Caguas, si vendes la Tatay, avisame..Soy tambien de Caguas 787-318-0318 Gracias

I have a tatay grand concert made 1959(had for 20 years. Brazillian rosewood etc. Lots of inlay. I bought it privately with original sales tag and address of retailer. There was a shop in the Belvedere Hotel NYC. I talked to the old fellow there about it and he told me the the tatays were on Long Island somewhere making these guitars.It was a long time ago and I really don't remember that well. I know very little about guitars(don't play)but showed it to a local guitar repair fellow who seemed knowledgable and he said it was an extremely fine guitar with beautiful tone with exceptional woods. Very tight grain spruce top with Brazilian rosewood sides and back. do you know anything about this type of guitar?

My father William L Bonyun now deceased had several Tatay guitars he taught American History then became an educational folk singer he made educational records though his company Heirloom records back in the late 50s to early 60,s. Tatay had his shop in farmingdale Ny on the southshore of Long island Tatay had come over from spain in the early part of the century. His sons continued to make them unkown if still doing so.

Tatay guitars

I have a tatay guitar dated 1964. tatays' shop was in Farmingville, not Farmingdale. Small south shore town Long Island N.Y. The shop is no longer in business. My guitar needs some minor repair so I was sorry to see that the shop is gone seemingly without a trace.

Vicente Tatay Guitars

Actually Vicente Tatay father was a luthier in the late 1800s and early 1900s. He manufactured the original guitars by hand and from entire pieces of wood. He sold his interest to a Japanese conglomerate I believe in 1909 or 1910. His sons moved to the US in the 40s and established a factory of Vicente Tatay guitars in the 50s in New Jersey. Those guitars were cheaply made and are not worth much today. I own an original B102t model made in Spain that my father gave me. The guitar is probably close to 70 years old and it is in mint condition.

I had a Tatay guitar in late 50's it was hand
made in Valencia Spain all wood binding on edges
nothing fancy to look at but what a tone good luck
with the research Iain.

It does have a nice tone, mine may have lost some of it's tone, though it WAS made in the 40's. Mine was my grandfather's, so I don't know how much they're worth.
If anyone knows, E-mail me.

I stilll have one. Anyone have any idea on the value of it? It was my husbands.

: I stilll have one. Anyone have any idea on the value of it? It was my husbands.
:

I have one also - it was my dad's. Has to be at least 40 years old. In perfect condition.

My dad owns Tatay and Sons in Farmingville, New York. He's getting ready to sell the business and retire. You can e-mail me if you want more info.

Hi,
I'm writing from Australia .. and have - by chance - just been given and old nylon string accoustic guitar (with case) made by V Tatay in 1962 (according to the label inside the body of the instrument). The guitar is in fair condition and I'm about to take it to my local guitar repair shop for them to check it out and put new strings and a bit of a clean up. Is there any info at all you can give me on the guitars? Were they popular? Are they really worth keeping etc? It has a white 'split' pick guard between the sound hole and the bridge. If you can reply at all please send to <stever.smith@state.sa.gov.au)

regards

Steve Smith
South Australia

: My dad owns Tatay and Sons in Farmingville, New York. He's getting ready to sell the business and retire. You can e-mail me if you want more info.

is in fair condition and I'm about to take it to my local guitar repair shop for them to check it new a bit of a clean up. Is there any info at all you can give me on the guitars? Were they popular? Are they really worth keeping etc? It has a white 'split' pick guard between the sound hole and the bridge. If you can reply at all please send to <stever.smith@state.sa.gov.au)

: regards

:
: Steve Smith
: South Australia

: : My dad owns Tatay and Sons in Farmingville, New York. He's getting ready to sell the business and retire. You can e-mail me if you want more info.

I saw your reply. Mr Tatay did some fine work for me on various occasions and he did tell me he was going to retire. He also mentioned that he would keep some customers. If that is true, I certainly would like to contact him.

I just took out my custom-made Tatay for the first time since '99. My classical guitar was buit by the Farmingvile, NY branch of the family in 1973 or so. I found an article from the NY Times dated May 28, 1978 folded up in the guitar case which describes the family buisiness and has a picture of Andrew Tatay working on an archtop with his son James. I'm lining in the area again after may years, and I've noticed that the Tatay & Sons shop has a for-sale sign on it.

: My dad owns Tatay and Sons in Farmingville, New York. He's getting ready to sell the business and retire. You can e-mail me if you want more info.

: I just took out my custom-made Tatay for the first time since '99. My classical guitar was buit by the Farmingvile, NY branch of the family in 1973 or so. I found an article from the NY Times dated May 28, 1978 folded up in the guitar case which describes the family buisiness and has a picture of Andrew Tatay working on an archtop with his son James. I'm lining in the area again after may years, and I've noticed that the Tatay & Sons shop has a for-sale sign on it.

:
: : My dad owns Tatay and Sons in Farmingville, New York. He's getting ready to sell the business and retire. You can e-mail me if you want more info.

I own a Tatay guitar that was handmade for my father by Mr. Tatay many many years ago. If anyone is interested in this item, please contact me at ejmuller@yahoo.com. I have other guitars for sale as well.

Would be interested in knowing more about the guitar. Thanks.: : I just took out my custom-made Tatay for the first time since '99. My classical guitar was buit by the Farmingvile, NY branch of the family in 1973 or so. I found an article from the NY Times dated May 28, 1978 folded up in the guitar case which describes the family buisiness and has a picture of Andrew Tatay working on an archtop with his son James. I'm lining in the area again after may years, and I've noticed that the Tatay & Sons shop has a for-sale sign on it.

: :
: : : My dad owns Tatay and Sons in Farmingville, New York. He's getting ready to sell the business and retire. You can e-mail me if you want more info.

: I own a Tatay guitar that was handmade for my father by Mr. Tatay many many years ago. If anyone is interested in this item, please contact me at ejmuller@yahoo.com. I have other guitars for sale as well.

and '60s.
.....The Tatay family crafted some of the finest acoustic guitars.Their craft was passed on from generation to generation.The family shop was on Horseblock Rd. in Farmingville,N.Y..I have a custom-made acoustic made by Tatay that I am looking to sell.

:if it is a classical i might be interested.
brian

Anybody have any information on Tatay guitars?
: and '60s.
: .....The Tatay family crafted some of the finest acoustic guitars.Their craft was passed on from generation to generation.The family shop was on Horseblock Rd. in Farmingville,N.Y..I have a custom-made acoustic made by Tatay that I am looking to sell.

I have the pleasure to own and play daily a guitar by V. Tatay (New York). This is as much as I know. I may be misinformed in places. Lou Kleinsmith, my "male role model" growing up in New York, owned the Tatay. It was given to me by his son Bill. Lou died years ago, but I believe he told me that the Tatays were ex-pat Spaniards who hung out with the ex-pat guitar community at the end of 14th street in a little coffeeshop on the North side of the street just East of 8th Ave. This group included on occasion Segovia and Augustin (the 'inventor' of the nylon string.) I know of no other connection between Tatay and the group. Augustin's widow would seem the person to ask.

I was told that Tatay was the source of the "Pallet Guitar" legend. I heard this first around 1962. My guitar is a 1956. It is made from terrible mahagony and has a crack the length of its back since my earliest memory. The month and year of manufacture is stamped with an office date stamp on the soundboard cross bar just to the neck end of the soundhole. Other Tatays I have seen were stamped the same.

My guitar seems to be finished with shellac or some shellac based finish. It is now heavily checked with age. The guitar has a wonderful precision in that it seems to have been made face down on a workboard. There is an unbroken straight line from the bottom of the nut going under the rosewood fingerboard and under the rosewood bridge. So the soundboard and neck must have been butted on the workboard and everything else done from there. Simple. Precise.

There is no binding or purfling at the edge. Just good clean perfect joinery of the sides to the soundboard and back. After 50 years the neck is straight as an arrow, the joints are all still perfect, and there is no perceivable sinking or cracks in the soundboard. The crack in the back is not on any joint of the maker. Just cheap wood. I would suspect the wood came from Wild or Constantine back then.

The fingerboard oils have dried, dishing the board and making the frets protrude slightly. Not enough for me to refret it yet. The neck is ever so slightly narrow by today's standards. It's a 652 on the 1st string.

I play well. Tuned to my Peterson strobe tuner, the guitar is in tune to the highest frets. I am suprised by this. Bach at lightening tempos voices very well. I play a folk piece from Normandie that has four distinct voices for quite a number of measures. The guitar delivers them distinctly without any distortions of the bass to treble present or wanted.

Mahagony guitars have always recorded well analog. In a good studio this guitar gave me many superb recordings twenty years ago. In today's digital age, the voice is a little thin. As a parlor instrument it is just fine though not with all the voice of a contemporary rosewood instrument. More "delicate."

I was told that the same family tried to make a go of it out in Farmingdale Long Island. The instruments I saw were not classicals as I remember.

My Tatay is not for sale. Make my wife a nice offer after I'm gone. Then enjoy it as much as I do now.

Just wanted to say Hello

I hope all is well with you. Email me.

Just wanted to say Hello to Ken Sribnick

I hope all is well with you.

I visited the Tatay studio out east, past Farmingvile (at least), in 1976 or 77, with a friend who was having a 1920's acoustic Gibson restored. I met Mr. Tatay, the maestro himself, and even then I knew I was in the presence of greatness. (Vincent Bruno: Do you remember our visit???) Ah,. youth...

V. Tatay was a luthier in New York in the '50s and '60s.

: Bob

How much is worth a Vicente

How much is worth a Vicente tatay 1975 classical gutar in inmaculated conditions

Tatay guitars/ Marco Francisco Tarrega Modelo 1-M, 12-26-74

I have a guitar that I purchased from The Spanish Music Center in New York City in 1975. I am an amateur player, who has not played at all for years. The label is a Spanish Music Center label pasted over another label which I can't read. It reads Marco Francisco Tarrega, with Modelo 1-M and the number 12-26-74. Another, smaller label reads Tatay Spanish Guitars.
Anyone have any info? It has a great sound still, even with the old strings.

Tatay guitars

I'm wondering if the style of the label is an indicator of the age of the guitar. I've seen the white label with the blue and red drawing and lettering, the round black label with gold lettering, and the round gold label with black lettering (one with New York and an identical one that reads Valencia). If those of you who have a Tatay and are 100% certain of the date and place it was made we may be able to make a rough estimate of the age of other Tatay guitars based on the type of label used. Feel free to email me and if any of the information I receive demonstrates any relevance I will post the results. If you're not certain of the date, don't guess. One wrong guess could negate the results. Thank You.

Tatay guitar

I just noticed a couple of nights ago that my Tatay guitar had the date July 1959 stamped on the foot of the neck inside the guitar. I'm in the process of trying to find out where it was made and every indication is that it was in Farmingville, New York. The label has those two figures dancing and the #13 street address. Any information would be helpful. Thankyou.

Vicente tatay guitar

Yo tenia una guitarra vicente tatay y me la rompieron y estoy comprando una quien la venda favor de enviarme email rolpesa@yahoo.com

manuel tatay

hola tengo un manuel tatay blasco y quiero saber cuanto puedo venderlo

Tatay Guitars Farmingville, NY

I have lived in Farmingville, NY for over 40 years and frequented the small Taytay shop on Horseblock road many times since it was two blocks from my residence. I never bought any of the guitars they hand made though I often wish that I had. He did repairs and custom changes on a couple of Guild steel string acoustics I had and the work was top drawer. The shop was closed years ago and I really miss them.

tatay guitar

i have a vincente tatay tomas guitar. the label is round, multi colored with a guitar in the middle and the word vivato.
it is a small guitar. tenor, i think. bigger that a ukelele but not as big as a regular guitar.
can you tell me something about its age, history, value etc.
thanks

Vincente Tatay Guitars and Davie Graham

Just watching a documentary on TV in the UK called 'Led Zeppelin And The Music That Influenced Them'. It seems Jimmy Page was influenced by Davey Graham the British fingerstyle guitarist probably most famous for writing 'Angie', as recorded by Paul Simon and many others. In the programme there is a close up of Davey Graham playing a classical guitar and the label can clearly be seen. It is a Vincente Tatay, made in Valencia.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2014 , All Rights Reserved.