Dan Armstrong Pick-Up

Posted by Geoff on Mon, 03/04/02 - 11:43:10.

I have an original Dan Armstrong Lucite electric guitar but it's missing the original pick-up. Does anyone have a pick-up for this guitar for sale?

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: Dan Armstrong Pick-Up

I know that Dan is still around. His son (I can't remember his name) is known world wide for his pickups, but I believe that he lives somewhere in Britain. The Dan Armstrong pickup basically slides into that grove you see there and then a small bolt from the back of the guitar holds it in place. At least two types of pickups were available - two different types of tones, I imagine.

The pickups were a dark brown kind of ceramic/plastic looking things. I've owned both a DA bass and a DA guitar. On the bass, the PU was chipped and lost a lot of it's "oomph". The guitar PU was okay (certainly not as good as a humbucker though), but it wouldn't stay in tune for anything. That's one of the drawbacks to the DA lucite guitars. They seem to be known for dropping out of tune. I have heard of people who modified their DAs to hold a humbucker, but I wouldn't suggest you go that route. It's a HUGE pain in the butt and it really doesn't sound all that great. Besides, you'd ruin what value there is in the guitar if you modified in any way.

I would be interested in your Armstrong if you are thinking of selling it. I'm not a dealer or anything like that. Just a normal average guy. But I have been lookking for another one for a couple of years now. Let me know if you are interested.

Good luck on finding a pickup. Finding a specific pickup that was made from 69 to 72 (or so) will probably be like finding a needle in a haystack. If you need any other info, I can probably find it for you - just ask.

DALE ( MAYUIERS@Yahoo.com )

: I know Dan's so Kent will respomd to e-Mail..I own a proto type Bass as well as a P001 proto guitar. He has pickups for replacement.. just go to google and type KENT ARMSTRONG he has a site.
good luck,
Keith

: I know that Dan is still around. His son (I can't remember his name) is known world wide for his pickups, but I believe that he lives somewhere in Britain. The Dan Armstrong pickup basically slides into that grove you see there and then a small bolt from the back of the guitar holds it in place. At least two types of pickups were available - two different types of tones, I imagine.

: The pickups were a dark brown kind of ceramic/plastic looking things. I've owned both a DA bass and a DA guitar. On the bass, the PU was chipped and lost a lot of it's "oomph". The guitar PU was okay (certainly not as good as a humbucker though), but it wouldn't stay in tune for anything. That's one of the drawbacks to the DA lucite guitars. They seem to be known for dropping out of tune. I have heard of people who modified their DAs to hold a humbucker, but I wouldn't suggest you go that route. It's a HUGE pain in the butt and it really doesn't sound all that great. Besides, you'd ruin what value there is in the guitar if you modified in any way.

: I would be interested in your Armstrong if you are thinking of selling it. I'm not a dealer or anything like that. Just a normal average guy. But I have been lookking for another one for a couple of years now. Let me know if you are interested.

: Good luck on finding a pickup. Finding a specific pickup that was made from 69 to 72 (or so) will probably be like finding a needle in a haystack. If you need any other info, I can probably find it for you - just ask.

: DALE ( MAYUIERS@Yahoo.com )

From John,

There were 7 original pick ups
Rock Treble & Bass
Countru Treble & Bass
Jazz Treble & Bass
& double coli humbucker

I have 5 of the 7.

I had some chassis made so fender & gibson
pick could be installed.

What do you guys think?

I Believe I have one!

: I have an original Dan Armstrong electric Bass in Plexi glass but it's missing the original pick-up. Does anyone have a pick-up for this guitar for sale?

: I have an original Dan Armstrong Lucite electric guitar but it's missing the original pick-up. Does anyone have a pick-up for this guitar for sale?

No, But there is a chassis made to put any pick up in it

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2018 , All Rights Reserved.