dummy coil in series or parallel

Posted by christian on Fri, 05/24/02 - 19:31:47.

I wonder if it will make a change if I connect the dummy coil in my Gibson Nighthawk in parallel with the P 90-soupbars instead of the original setting, which is in series? The point is I don't like the series setting in the middle position with both pick ups on and think of changing the whole setting to parallel.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: dummy coil in series or parallel

I would add a switch to select between series/parallel, I find the ability to switch between series and parallel wiring is one of the most tonally useful modifications you can make... much more useful than pickup phasing, in most cases (though combining series and out-of-phase wiring produces very interesting results in some cases).

: I wonder if it will make a change if I connect the dummy coil in my Gibson Nighthawk in parallel with the P 90-soupbars instead of the original setting, which is in series? The point is I don't like the series setting in the middle position with both pick ups on and think of changing the whole setting to parallel.

well you will get a noticeable decrease in output. and a much clearer Singlecoil like tone.

The original configuration is two P-90's and a noise cancelling dummy coil without magnets in the middle wich is used in series when only one pick up is selected. The middle position of the pick up selector is just the two normal P-90's in series. Will I loose output in the one P-90 + dummy-coil postions if I connect them in parallel?

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2018 , All Rights Reserved.