Yamaki Guitars

Posted by Vas on Tue, 10/10/00 - 01:26:43.

Can anyone tell me if this company is still going or how/where i would find out more about the guitars they made.
I have an acoutstic "Yamaki custom" made in Japan circa 1975 but thats all I know.

It sounds excellent and is finished well.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: Yamaki Guitars

: Can anyone tell me if this company is still going or how/where i would find out more about the guitars they made.
: I have an acoutstic "Yamaki custom" made in Japan circa 1975 but thats all I know.

: It sounds excellent and is finished well.

Well Roger, the story goes, that in Japan, both Susuki and Yamaha guitar companies were making Martin copies in the early seventies. "Susuki Threes" by Susuki and "Yamaki" by Yamaha. Susuki was very good and Martin sued them for copywrite violations and flooding the US market with the cheep copies. When Martin won the suit (I beleve in 1975)Yamaha cut and run, by stopping production and sales, they were not as productive as Susuki and avoided a law suit. So to sum up, Yamaki is a Japaneze copy of the 1969 to 1974 Vintage Martins. Same woods, inside bracing and style. As for the sound well most people can't tell the difference in the dark.
Susuki Three's are considered a great find as well, but I still like my Yamaki Custom.
I got this story from a guy that worked at Martin during the 70's and 80's so you can take it for what it's worth, personaly I believed the guy, it's a good story.
Now You tell me why a guitar that looks and sounds so good and is rare, and is prized by there owners...only sells for about $200.00 to $300.00 dollars when it does come up for sale???
Keep on pickin
Jordan

I recently bought a Yamaki Concierto 600 classical guitar for 110 USD. It has a surprising clear and clean sound.

Is there anybody who knows more about their classical guitars, since people are only talking about Yamaki "Martin" copies from the 70s. I know Yamaki was "swallowed" by Yamaha, but it would be nice to hear from other users about the classical guitar line.

I found a GS 200 today (5-25-01) at a pawn shop, picked it up for $50.00. I put new machine heads on, strings, cleaned it up a bit and much to my surprise...It sounds great! I have never seen one b4 nor heard the name. I too would like more info. This particular model was made in '74. I wonder if it's worth anything??

:OOPs.....Anyways I bought a Yamaki 6 string back in 89 for $250 It has the pick up on it to plug it in to amps. I would like to find out what year this was made.It don't have the big label on the inside. It is stamped Enchanting Harmony then under that Yamaki then under that Since 1954.Besides enchanting harmony it has either a 6 or a B inside a circle stamped there. It also has these numbers on the back of the neck mount in the inside 190505 If someone knows anything about when this guitar was made, I would appreciate your response..It plays great except the first,second,and third fret has wear..

I have a Yamaki 1975 Heritage. It is an excellent guitar and i would say looks and sounds better that Martin's that i have tried!

I am currently looking for a Yamaki guitar. If you have one for sale please email the info on the guitar. Thanks

: I have a Yamaki 1975 Heritage. It is an excellent guitar and i would say looks and sounds better that Martin's that i have tried!
I own a Yamaki 12 string guitar bought second hand just before last Xmas. It has a greast tone and is well built. Comments please.
Regards Norman

I have a Yamaki Custom Folk M-125 that I purchased in 1972 brand new. It cost $200.00 at that time including the case. I believe it is a Martin New Yorker copy. The guitar has always had great timber and smooth base. About twenty years ago I replaced the tuners with Ovation gearhead tuners. The tuners and the plastic pegs in the bridge were always the weak points. The Ovation tuners allowed for tighter tuneing and I would not trade off this guitar for newer instruments that cost in excess of $1200. At the time that I purchased the guitar from Portland Music Company I was told that the construction of body is Rosewood, the sound board Spruce, the neck Mahogony, and the fret board is Rosewood. It's a beauty!

I used to have a Yamaki 12 string, which was the best guitar I ever had or ever played. I bought mine new in 1975 for about $230, now I would like to get another and I am also tying to find if the company still exists. No one seems to know anything about it.

Information about Yamaki guitar

I have a very nice Yamaki classical guitar Model GC25. I can't seem to find any info on this model number. This guitar is in great shape for its age (30 t0 40 yrs?) and could be a collector item. Please help me learn more about this instrument. I have photos if needed.

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.