Memphis guitars?

Posted by Slightly confused on Sat, 04/03/04 - 15:48:15.
Advertisement

Alright, about a year and a half ago, my girlfriend at the time bought me a guitar that some friend of her dad's had sitting around for years and hadn't touched. It looks like it's a Les Paul replica, it looks old, and it plays pretty well through a decent amp. On the tag between the machineheads it says "Memphis." I've been trying to figure out how old this guitar might be. Or what the hell Memphis guitars is. Or anything, really.

Realistically, it makes no difference to me knowing any information. I love the way the guitar plays, so I'm not selling it anytime soon, but if anyone has any info, help me out!

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Re: Memphis guitars?

Sort of an off brand distributed by Kaman Music

:

i have a memphis! i thought maybe it was one of a kind. i bought it off some kid for 20 bucks, and its better than my ibanez haha

Hey,
I am in the same boat! My DAD had Memphis guitar and mine looks like a les Paul except its wooden (light) color with to stripes running down in and 24 frets!! Its also HEAVY as hell and the dude at the local guitar shop says its a Korean import brand and said its not all that bad!! I am having a jack replaced so I have not played it yet but I am loving your posts in that you guys are liking them!

i bought a memphis guitar a couple of months ago. I have been looking for someone who knows where its from. i recently replaced the tuning pegs and its now the goods. mine also has the 24 fret neck.

ok guys heres the scoop from my friend robert who is a luthier at my local guitar and audio repair shop (docelectro.com) Yamaha was making dead up knock offs of gibson guitars and they got sued so to get rid of what they had left in stock they put memphis on the head stock and sold them like that.mine is basically a copy of the les paul classic with sort of vintage sunburst, i got mine from a friend had been given the guitar.mine is kind of beat but i love it.i'm putting two custom wound 57 style pickups in it and getting new machine heads and its good to go.i love how distressed mine is from the years gone by, it gives it character.

Memphis guitars

Actually it was made by a Japanese company for import to the U.S. in the the late 70s early 80s. Not a bad guitar for what it is.

ok. My dad baught me a memphis guitar from a pawn shop when i was 8 years old. i am 20 now. the guitar looks like a fender replica, it a is gloos black electric guitar. i was just wondering how old it might be or how much its worth. thank you

Umm?

I have a black Memphis which is definitely made in Korea (as it says so on the back of the neck) but it doesn't sound like anything you guys are describing... My grandpa bought it forever ago.. It has 21 frets. It's a 6-string and in awesome shape. It says the serial number is 109754 but there's another number under it (903266) anyone know anything about this particular guitar???

Memphis

I bought a black Memphis in great condition, from a local pawn shop. It looks like Lucille" Sounds great and just seems 'bluesy/soulful'. Yeah, it is heavy. I think the parts are all original. Two days ago, I bought a Memphis bass for $20.00 at yard sale. It needs work, but once I resore it, I know it too will be a delightful instrument to play. The thing is: I never played bass but, what the funk.

MEMPHIS GUITAR

WHAT IS THIS THING WORTH.GOOD SHAPE SOUNDS GOOD

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2014 , All Rights Reserved.