Japanese Made? Fender? Please help identify

Aloha from Hawai'i!

Noob here.... 1st post:

I have a guitar but I am trying to figure out what kind it is. Someone suggested that it might have been a Japanese made Galante? Someone else said it might be a fender?

I thought I'd ask the pro's... (YOU ALL! ;o)

Please advise if anyone can be of any help! Any help is much appreciated!

Mahalo nui loa! (Thank you very much!)


[img][/img]

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Who said it might be a Fender? Did this person have a white walking stick and a guide dog?

glw wrote:
Who said it might be a Fender? Did this person have a white walking stick and a guide dog?

:P :P

Even the blind can feel there are 4 pickups, It's not a Fender, it could be Japanese, there are some oddites about, i would pin any hope on it being worth a lot of money.

Hi wika,

Your guitar was built in Japan by Kawai sometime in the late 1960's - early 1970's. Given that yours has the floral style pickguard, I'd say yours was built in the early 1970's. They were frequently sold under the Apollo or Kimberly brandnames.

I've owned several of these over the years and they are suprisingly nice players that produce a variety of useful tones.

You can see a picture of one of mine here:
http://www.vintaxe.com/cgi-bin/vintaxe_viewer.pl?guitar_teiscodelray_4pu&japanese_guitar_teiscodelray_4pu

I also recognize that bridge and pickup style from my first electric guitar (MIJ), branded "Satellite" in England . Expect the body to be plywood and I found those bridge wheels gave me the action of an egg slicer. I removed the wheels and rested the strings directly on the bolt thread for an improvement.

70s Japanese guitars, even the cheaper end which this is, are attracting increasing attention. With the floral guard and Tufnelesque number of pickups, I wouldn't be surprised if you got comfortably over $100 in bids (a fresh set of strings would help).

1bassleft wrote:
I removed the wheels and rested the strings directly on the bolt thread for an improvement.

Classic stuff, i have a Sattelite Bass, its a Japanese made one from the late 70's, looks like a P bass copy and has quite a nice tone, it's very usable, im looking to change the pickup to improve the tone. But it is quite nice.
That 4 pickup model looks OK, surely it must be worth more than $100??

Sure, I said "comfortably" over $100, but I'm not so sure that over $200 would happen. The vagaries of the market; if two people both want it then the bids increase. I do see them listed with crazy prices, but that's dealer BINs that no-one ever clicks on. This Kingston 4-pup, with a starting price of $200 and a BIN of $275, will give a good indication of what to expect:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Kingston-or-Kawai-Blues-Guitar-4-Pickups-plays-great_W0QQitemZ350023969455QQihZ022QQcategoryZ2384QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

SB wrote:
Hi wika,

Your guitar was built in Japan by Kawai sometime in the late 1960's - early 1970's. Given that yours has the floral style pickguard, I'd say yours was built in the early 1970's. They were frequently sold under the Apollo or Kimberly brandnames.

I've owned several of these over the years and they are suprisingly nice players that produce a variety of useful tones.

You can see a picture of one of mine here:
http://www.vintaxe.com/cgi-bin/vintaxe_viewer.pl?guitar_teiscodelray_4pu&japanese_guitar_teiscodelray_4pu

SB, Just thought you might be interested in this 'Brace' of beauties..
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ELECTRIC-GUITARS-60S-JAPANVINTAGE-JOB-LOT-STRATS-AND-SG_W0QQitemZ300197903340QQihZ020QQcategoryZ2384QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.