Guitarists to be put in to Room 101

who remembers Dave Hill? from Slade? need a memory nudge??
http://www.photofeaturesint.com/slade/ppages/ppage14.html

who can forget that fringe and that goofy grin, for the sheer haircut and one off custom guitars he has to be relegated to room 101 never to be let out.

Anyone else??

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

heck thats one hell of a mop... and the get-up, priceless. I know who i'm going to my next fancy dress party as. Or maybe Halloween.

:lol: great idea for a thread

http://www.angelo.com/

I have it on very good authority that this is a WIG. Not that anybody would doubt it :lol: . But this is the guy who plays with 2 hands on 2 necks at the same time! shredding, a truely humbling expierience, but after the first song it starts to sound a bit like corned beef,( one song is the same as the other ) and all you find yourself concentrating on is the Ferret on his head, so he goes in room 101 for his davey crocket and not his guitar playing, he is a true Class A shredder on the fretboard.

lee_UK wrote:
http://www.angelo.com/

I have it on very good authority that this is a WIG. Not that anybody would doubt it :lol: . But this is the guy who plays with 2 hands on 2 necks at the same time! shredding, a truely humbling expierience, but after the first song it starts to sound a bit like corned beef,( one song is the same as the other ) and all you find yourself concentrating on is the Ferret on his head, so he goes in room 101 for his davey crocket and not his guitar playing, he is a true Class A shredder on the fretboard.



Having listened to the audio clip my assesment is.. "very impressive but devoid of anything that would have me engage". As a fellow student said to me back in the 70's.. "I'd rather a guitarist play one note and mean it".
(Well he was the sort of person that was always feeling "hasseled, man" though he was actually English!)

Even as a massive fan of McLaughlin and Fripp, my two favorite guitar solo's are Amos Garratt on "Midnight at the Oasis" (by Maria Muldur (sp?) and Ron Wood on "Maggie May" (Rod stewert). My favorite keyboard solo is by Dave Stewert on the Hatfield's track "Share It" from The Rotters Club

Guitarists that need to go into room 101...

Al DiMiola
for playing total bollocks with Return To Forever. ("He was just a kid who couldn't play the music.." Stanley Clark) And that classical/baroque guitar piece on his first solo album that was played so badly

Steve Hackett
for lying about why he sat down to play (early Genesis Melody Maker interview) as he was just copying Fripp. No one had asked him why, he just interjected..

Steve Howe
for his solo appearance and total crap acoustic guitar playing on the James Whale Radio Show one Sunday afternoon ages ago. And for playing the same descending and ascending riff from "Yours is No Disgrace" as the guitar line for the opening of "Close to the Edge"

Lee Jackson
for the total nonsense spoken towards the end of "America" by The Nice and for attending my school fete as the "celebrity" when I was the only one who'd heard of him (Jolly nice chap, though) Oh, and for wearing a cream suit jacket plus tie (at the Fairfield Halls with Patrick Moraz) whilst employing a large on-stage fan blowing to keep him cool.

And Bill Bruford (yeah I know..)
for (aledgedly) bursting into tears and not getting over it when Jamie Muir told him his drumming was boring... as Bruford still says "well I might not be the best technician but you can't say that my drumming is boring" ...Might be an idea to come from playing interesting drums rather than not playing boring drums. Ah yes, and for blowing cigarette smoke over me at the Crimson "playback" at a hotel in London some years ago. (Jolly funny chap though.. author of the phrase "Bra-less and Slightly Slack. )

Brian May
for wearing Anita Dobson's hair and for only playing guitar solos that only constitute ascending scales and arpeggios. (Damned decent sort though, with celebrated and much praised restraint on the use of wha-wha on "Killer Queen".. first class).

Dave

Brian May wearing Ange (Anita Dobson) hair??? surely not!! he hasnt changed his hair since tha last time he changed his cloggs, about 35 years, some say he was born with that mop, under a full moon under the fireplace which was later to become 'the red lady' , oh and did i mention the howling wolf in the woods? he sold his soul to the devil for that hairstyle, he had his hair way before Anita Dobson... you cant stick a guy in room 101 just for a haircut and unimaginative solo's can you? did i mention Michael Angelo?? what i said about him was tongue in cheek, i can appreiciate his style for it's cleverness and circus appeal but like you a 3 note solo from the heart is on another level and much more enjoyable.

Dave, that cracked me up. Anybody keen on the 'other' Dave Stewart and Hatfield and the North has got to be alright - "Down on the Farm" is going round my head now :D . Another reason for putting Steve Hackett in is that "Defector" album. "All songs by Steve Hackett", bit of a shafting of Nick Magnus, IMO. To some extent, ditto "Spectral Mornings"

:oops: Skidding ahead in time. "DotF" was Camel, not Hatfield. Memories, must get a vinyl player going again.

1bassleft wrote:
Dave, that cracked me up. Anybody keen on the 'other' Dave Stewart and Hatfield and the North has got to be alright - "Down on the Farm" is going round my head now :D . Another reason for putting Steve Hackett in is that "Defector" album. "All songs by Steve Hackett", bit of a shafting of Nick Magnus, IMO. To some extent, ditto "Spectral Mornings"

I know yet another Dave Stewert.. a bass trombonist in the LPO.

The Hatfield's Dave Stewert once sang to me down the phone at work. I'd requested the score for one of his tunes as I was working it out on Stick (from the record) and just couldn't get one of the chord progressions. He phones me at work and says "Yeah, I know the bit you mean, the bit that goes Da Da Da Da Da". We had a nice chat and he sent me the score including the piano, female vocal, and lead line. A strange day that was!

Listen to the prophetic "Two Towers Struck Down" from Voyage of the Acolyte, by Steve Hackett. Lark's Tongues in Aspic slowed down. But ALS0.. I'd forgotten.. he SANG on one of the tracks AND had Sally Oldfield sing on another. Sally is now known as..

...................................... Natasha!..............................................

I used to see her wandering around Higate Cemetary looking for inspiration.

Can't compete with that! You mentioned another ivory-tinkler I think is hugely underrated - Pat Moraz. I remember he had an album with a "symbol" title, pre-dating TAFKAP (NKAPA) by a good decade. Much as Wakeman's a key-whizz (and great taste in comedy), I think "Relayer" is Yes' best album because Moraz' restraint rubbed off on the others a little. Slotted into The Moody Blues nicely, too.

Oh, just thought of another reason for "Room 101"ing Steve Howe. That obnoxious, arms-spread "look at all my gear!" photo he had done. For anyone swimming against the tide of student grant, mortgage, wives with clothing catalogues, that kind of smugness does make the fists clench :) .

1bassleft wrote:
Can't compete with that! You mentioned another ivory-tinkler I think is hugely underrated - Pat Moraz. I remember he had an album with a "symbol" title, pre-dating TAFKAP (NKAPA) by a good decade. Much as Wakeman's a key-whizz (and great taste in comedy), I think "Relayer" is Yes' best album because Moraz' restraint rubbed off on the others a little. Slotted into The Moody Blues nicely, too.

Oh, just thought of another reason for "Room 101"ing Steve Howe. That obnoxious, arms-spread "look at all my gear!" photo he had done. For anyone swimming against the tide of student grant, mortgage, wives with clothing catalogues, that kind of smugness does make the fists clench :) .

Don't really know much about Patrick Moraz (he's not a guitarist after all) but he should also join the others in room 101 for describing Close To The Edge as a "meenie seenphonie".

And Steve Hackett should be released.... then put back in for saying that he wore a T-shirt and jeans on stage as it made him "...closer to 'the kids'.."
But he still tucked his jeans in to his shiny, leather boots.
(Damned fine chap though... he went to see my mates Genesis tribute band ReGenesis in the back room of a small pub {The Grey Horse} in Kingston-upon-Thames).

I took Richard Macphail to see them in the back room of a pub in Putney (The Half Moon). The next day he said to me that he'd closed his eyes during Supper's Ready and when he opened them, he couldn't believe that it wasn't his mates up there on stage.... Praise indeed!! Steve the (original guitarist with ReGenesis) modified a Strat with a small piece of curved wood under the strings near the bridge to make a very passable electric sitar (for I Know What I like...) They were a bloody good band and one reviewer described them as "... a living, breathing experience.." and after thier first gig at The Astoria in London, a friend said it was the best gig he'd seen since Frank Zappa.

Dave

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions. Do not include any spaces in your answer.
Image CAPTCHA
Copy the characters (respecting upper/lower case) from the image.

Contact | Advertise | Contents | Privacy Policy | Forum

This site is published by Hitsquad Pty Ltd. Copyright © 1999 - 2017 , All Rights Reserved.