Guitarsite Homepage Forums Discussion Popular Topics my sada yairi acoustic guitar

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

i bought this guitar in the late 70’s it has rosewood back and sides not laminated. a solid spruce top , rosewood finger board over maghony neck lots of binding and inlay. very nice plays nice too. i cannot find anyone who know anything about this guitar at all
    if anyone knows anything about this guitar will ya let me know

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

I can pick one of these up for $450.00. It is in great shape and is from 1969.

No brainer?

Anonymous

Hello Cees,

I have a 1976 S. Yairi 730 which was his D-28 copy. It is a solid spruce top
      And solid rosewood back/sides. I bought it New in 1978 in Bryn Mwar Pa and play d it even today.
      It’s a fantastic guitar. Came in a brown hard shell case. He was the nephew of Sadao Yairi and cousin to
      K Yairi who also was a luthier.

Anonymous

I bought my first guitar at the Dirk Witte-music store in Amstrerdam in ‘75 or ‘76. It is a Sada Yairi dreadnought but there is no serial number to be found anywhere on it. Inside there is a small cork kind of label with ‘Yairi Sada’ on it as well as ‘Made in Nagoya, Japan’. I bought it for 720 Dutch guilders and yesterday July 1 2019 I brought it to the guitar store in Dedemsvaart http://www.tfoa.eu for an intensive check and some small repairs, nothing really difficult.
      I still love this guitar very much, the sounds is the same as a Martin D-28 and it plays wunderful. Still very happy with it.

Anonymous

Like others I have no clue when my guitar was made… Stamped inside on the headstock is S180… It is a parlor style and I found it about 30 years ago in a pawn shop for $40… It seemed to play nice and the action was nice… At the time I was playing my 1966 Martin D-18 and I kinda played it a little and then gave it to my son who was living with his mother and got it back with the top badly cracked and warped so I stuck it in my storage barn and would half play it (LOL) when I’d go out there in the barn and then pone day I said to myself, “Hey, take this poor thing to your lutherer Joe Lathum at Pickers Supply in Fredricksburg, Va. who brought it back to life and put a pickup in it and I brought it home and discovered that I was playing it a lot more and my Martin a lot less… Then I found myself leaving my Martin at home while performing with the Yairi??? Then I noticed that my Martin had been behind the couch for a year so I gave it to my great niece who was about 16 and an up and coming player and I have been playing this Yiari guitar ever since… I love it… I play blues these days and it stays in open tunings and I play a lot of slide on it… One crack has reappeared and I know that I’m going to have to get it re-glued but, hey… I love this guitar…Best $40 I ever spent…

Anonymous

I have an acoustic guitar which has S.Yairi inlaid in mother of pearl on the head and a badge which also says S.Yairi in the sound hole. The same badge says “Made in Korea” and “Jeong Eun Industrial Corporation” on it. The serial number (both on the badge and stamped inside) is 0306002 – model JM-102. There is also a logo on the head inlaid in mother of pearl (a stylized V in a circle). The intonation at the 12th fret (vs open) on all strings is near perfect – much better than my other guitars. The edges (around the top, bottom neck) seem to be a separate layer (not just paint). This makes me think as a lay-person that the guitar is of reasonable quality. However, the S.Yairi’s that I see online on ebay have different ways of writing S.Yairi and none have the same logo. Does anyone have any ideas?

Anonymous

Anyone have links or info on this model? S. Yairi [headstock] Model 730. Rosewood b/s spruce top typical d-28 like construct. I’ve had a number of Alvarez/Yairi DY models [currently have a ’71 vintage DY57] and wondering how this model 730 compares? anyone know what the neck is like? it is 43mm, 1 11/16″ at nut but that’s about all I can tell.
      what I have loved about the DY’s [of the past… I think the youngest one I ever had was early 80’s] is their playability. uncanny how they keep the quality control so well… the neck geometry has always been as strong point and they change very slowly over time. don’t have to chase saddles and relief and such every year

thank you

Anonymous

I bought, used, an Aria dreadnought with inner label reading “Aria by Sada Yairi” model 740 and it is a stunning copy of a D-18, and made of all solid tonewoods–mahogany back and sides; spruce top. The bass and mid tones are amazing, and strung with custom lights, it has a touch of ringiness on the B and E strings that I love.
      It set up beautifully, with a 5/64ths measure on the bass E at 12, and at the same time, saddle height above the bridge at 5/64. It has the thick rosewood headstock cap like a Martin, but has no logo–instead only a small “Aria” logo on the trussrod cover plate. I paid what I think is a ridiculous $300 with hard shell case, and after playing it with full setup, I would expect to get no less than $750 out of it if I were willing to sell it, which I’m not. I have an Aria Pro II PW-40, a 1970’s Matsumoku build of some renown, which was my regular player, but this Sada Yairi blows it away. The apparent difference is that the PW has laminated back and sides; however the internal bracing on the Sada Yairi is very light and the guitar itself is much lighter than the PW-40.

Anonymous

I bought, used, an Aria dreadnought with inner label reading “Aria by Sada Yairi” model 740 and it is a stunning copy of a D-18, and made of all solid tonewoods–mahogany back and sides; spruce top. The bass and mid tones are amazing, and strung with custom lights, it has a touch of ringiness on the B and E strings that I love.
      It set up beautifully, with a 5/64ths measure on the bass E at 12, and at the same time, saddle height above the bridge at 5/64. It has the thick rosewood headstock cap like a Martin, but has no logo–instead only a small “Aria” logo on the trussrod cover plate. I paid what I think is a ridiculous $300 with hard shell case, and after playing it with full setup, I would expect to get no less than $750 out of it if I were willing to sell it, which I’m not. I have an Aria Pro II PW-40, a 1970’s Matsumoku build of some renown, which was my regular player, but this Sada Yairi blows it away. The apparent difference is that the PW has laminated back and sides; however the internal bracing on the Sada Yairi is very light and the guitar itself is much lighter than the PW-40.

Anonymous

Head stock serial number 6055. Bought new in 1976. Lover the guitar. Exact copy of Martin D-35 3 piece back. Anyone have any info on current value? Or further background? This was B- stock due to ding on top that has not expanded since new. Sound is great. Has had a few set ups over the years and action is superb.

Anonymous

I have a beautiful SADA (Nagoya, Japan) model G10 that I love but know nothing about. I’ve had it maybe 28 years and would love to find out more details. Anyone know anything?

Anonymous

:around 1971 or 1972 i worked for a musical instrument distributor in needham Mass. We received a Sada Yairi model 750 from a japaneese distributor as a dealers sample. The instrument was damaged in shipping and i bought it for 125 dollars. i had the guitar repaired and have played it ever since. At times it was my only guitar. It is an amazing guitar especially for the money

Anonymous

I too am looking for info on my Sada Yairi model S301. I bought it downtown Toronto around 1974. Really was looking for a Martin but, being a student didn’t have the money. This guitar was damaged as well but, it played beautifully side by side with a D28 and actually out performed it on the high notes. I paid 250 Canadian at the time. 30 years later it is still my favourite guitar and sounds absolutely fantastic now that it has aged. I also have a Guild, Fender, Takamine and a Seagull. This guitar outperforms them all. Does anyone know how much this thing is worth. I’d like to insure it because it is very rare… not replaceable for sure. Keith

Anonymous

: I have recently acquired an old Sada Yairi Classical guitar model 680 with solid cedar top and what looks to be solid rosewood back and sides. The woods used on this guitar are absolutely beautiful. I paid a bit less than 1000 but I would imagine based upon its tonal qualities and handmade construction of aged tonewoods it would be worth in the neighborhood of 1500. Comparable features on a new guitar would be well above that price adn This one could or should be worht even more than that. It is very well made and beats the pants off my Ramirez. I love it and i also have acquired a K. Yairi Bozo P. Copy of the Bell western which is an absolute amazing guitar for an unbeievalbe price. It has solid rosewood back and sides and is built with great attention to detail and the sound you can’t describe. I have sold 2 other great dreanoughts to keep this one. Yair family makes some great instruments at a great price.

Anonymous

I have a Yari Guitar No. 680 made in 1980. I have played it since 1985. The sound is getting better and better. In other words, the older the guitar, the better the sound. It’s definitely worth than $1500 now.

Anonymous

i have a guitar my dad bought almost 25 years ago and the label in the hole says Sada Luthier Nagoya Japan Anno 1981 #G10 im not sure if this is the same as yours but no one can seem to tell me anything about it either. i love it to death cause it has an amazing sound but i would like to no who made it?

Anonymous

I actually bought a Sada Yairi Dreadnaught acoustic in Singapore in 1974 [when I was 19!]. The inside plate has SADA Yairi -Nagoya- Made in Japan engraved on a small timber plate attached just below the soundhole. Further up is a "No. 740 & 8902. I think therefore that there might be some link to the Family based on the Nagoya label. I had it converted to left handed 10 15 years ago and it is still the best guitar I’ve ever or will ever play. Beautiful sound with perfect action even at 12th to 15th fret.

Anonymous

: I actually bought a Sada Yairi Dreadnaught acoustic in Singapore in 1974 [when I was 19!]. : The inside plate has SADA Yairi -Nagoya- Made in Japan engraved on a small timber plate attached just below the soundhole. Further up is a "No. 740 & 8902. : I think therefore that there might be some link to the Family based on the Nagoya label. I had it converted to left handed 10 15 years ago and it is still the best guitar I’ve ever or will ever play. Beautiful sound with perfect action even at 12th to 15th fret.

Anonymous

In 1974 I purchased a Sada Yairi guitar that was distributed by Aria. The lable inside says Aria by Sada Yairi, Model 760. The top is spruce. The neck is rosewood, with a three part back of rosewood and mahogany. The guitar is similar to a Martin D35, and plays wonderfully. I have no idea what the guitar is worth, but I wouldn’t sell or trade it for anything. I have used it continuously for thirty years and it just gets better.

Anonymous

I have the same Guitar

Anonymous

I bought mine from my Blues Picking teacher. He was a 1 hit wonder in Australia with the song “The One I Love”. His name is Mike McClelland. He showed me the room where he had all these brown guitar cases. He had imported the guitars en-masse from Japan and had gone there to personally buy them. He might have bought them directly off Sadao Yairi in Nagoya at the workshop. Anyway he had two models. The 760 with the 3 piece back Price $270 aud, and the others had 2 piece back, Price $210 aud (I think). But I don’t know what the model number was of those ones. He said it was basically a Martin made under license. Martins at the time were about $1200 aud. This was about November 1973 when I purchased it. The build year was Anno. 1973 so the paint must have been still drying. A friend borrowed it last week to perform a song. He loves it. So much easier to play. And with an awesome tone.

Anonymous

I’ve been looking for info for years about my S Yairi guitar and then …… I see your post and it is a mirror of my experience with the SADA guitar. I bought mine from Mike McClellan as well (still got the original receipt for $270) and have played it since I bought it in 1973; the brown case is a bit battered but the guitar is in great condition with excellent tone and action. Many memories of Mike patiently teaching me ‘Windy and Warm’, ‘Angie’, etc, in the music room of his home at West Pennant Hills surrounded by thousands of LPs. The number on the guitar is S 3555 which must mean something? Hope you enjoy yours as much as I have enjoyed mine!

Anonymous

i also have a Sada Yairi Model 750 made in japan which was given to me as a gift from a nice greek lady who i met at a concert in hopkins, minnesota, USA . . . whose daughter was 14 and spoiled at the time and did not want to learn guitar – i put it into storage for 11 years and pulled it out the other day ~ it sounds better than my alvarez… when played side by side – one after the other . incredible tone . i do not know what these are worth . i use it LIVE . very sweet with alternate tunings of most recently low Eb, Bb, Eb, Ab, C, and high Eb . . . . a tuning i use for originals . . .

Anonymous

: i bought this guitar in the late 70’s it has rosewood back and sides not laminated. a solid spruce top , rosewood finger board over maghony neck lots of binding and inlay. very nice plays nice too. i cannot find anyone who know anything about this guitar at all : if anyone knows anything about this guitar will ya let me know I have a Sada Yairi that appears the same, with a three piece rosewood back, and rosewood sides. With a solid spruce top and also more than likely a rosewood fingerboard. Manufactured in Japan 1976, with a 1932 date apparently when first one was made. Head stock reads S. Yairi. This instrument plays and sounds great. Comparable to a top quality product.

Anonymous

: i bought this guitar in the late 70’s it has rosewood back and sides not laminated. a solid spruce top , rosewood finger board over maghony neck lots of binding and inlay. very nice plays nice too. i cannot find anyone who know anything about this guitar at all : if anyone knows anything about this guitar will ya let me know I have a Sada Yairi that appears the same, with a three piece rosewood back, and rosewood sides. With a solid spruce top and also more than likely a rosewood fingerboard. Manufactured in Japan 1976, with a 1932 date apparently when first one was made. Head stock reads S. Yairi.

Anonymous

I also have a Sada Yairi that I bought 5 years ago I have heard alot of things about it but I also do not know too muc I have #255 if you hear anything please keep me posted

Anonymous

I also have a Sada guitar – model 750,1969, #30 – and I too love the sound, the size, the fretboard… It looks like a previous owner scrubbed off a logo from the head and so I wonder if anyone out there could tell me what the logo looks like. (ideally send an digital image) It would be nice to put one back on – clearly someone was trying to make it look like it’s mentor, the Martin folk (D35?) of that era – which it does but for the sculpting at the top of the headstock. Thanks,

Anonymous

Hello Heather, I was wondering about your guitar.Did someone put another Logo on your guitar from the original.My Sada Yairi was stolen from me in Livermore ,California back in 1976. It was a like a Martin D28 copy. I remember
          putting a Logo on the head stock. I think it might have been my second name. I’m very interested to know about this guitar.One never knows when a guitar will show up. I bought my guitar in Rose Morris in London around 1970.I would appreciate a reply.Thankyou.Eddy Wilkinson

Anonymous

I came across your old post and wanted to let you know I have one of the older siblings of your instrument – 1969 A750 S/N 23, that I began learning guitar on at age 9.

If you get this note, and you are still interested, I can certainly send you a photo of the headstock.

Anonymous

I have a signed(don’t know if they all were or not) 750 circa 1975 I purchased new. I can try and get you an image and spec’s on the logo. Is your ’69 a 3 pc back? And… does it have the trangular neck-to-pegboard carving on the back of the neck? This has been a truly wonderful instrument throughout the years. I can’t imagine parting with it. Better email me since I stumbled across this site while doing some research on my 750. (btw.. anyone know the relationship between Sada Yairi and Sadao Yairi?)

Anonymous

: I have a signed(don’t know if they all were or not) 750 circa 1975 I purchased new. I can try and get you an image and spec’s on the logo. Is your ’69 a 3 pc back? And… does it have the trangular neck-to-pegboard carving on the back of the neck? : This has been a truly wonderful instrument throughout the years. I can’t imagine parting with it. : Better email me since I stumbled across this site while doing some research on my 750. : (btw.. anyone know the relationship between Sada Yairi and Sadao Yairi?) I believe that they are the same person but different phonetic translations of the original Japanese name. My Japanese friend says Sadao is closest to the original but Sada is easier for us to say. I have both a 1968 S Yairi and a 1981 Sada Luthier. I prefer to play the 68 Yairi to my Ramarez E4. It’s lighter in weight and there is nothing missing in the sound.

Anonymous

My model is a 740 Dreadnaught Martin style Sada Yairi I bought in 1974 in Singapore. It was distributed under the name of Morris which appears on the headstock Still sounds great afer all these years.

Anonymous

I have number 820. Made in 1975. I also think it’s modelled on the Martin D-35. It is an amazing guitar in looks and sound quality. Mine has a few dings in it now which I am thinking of getting repaired and possibly a re-laquer, has anyone done this, has it affected the tone etc. I would be interested in hearing from other owners.

Anonymous

I bought my S.Yairi new 25 years ago. It recieved a hole in the back (speaker on stage fell on it) and the finish cracked after opening the case too soon after bringing it in from -30 degree weather. It still is one of the best acoustics I’ve used. Don’t change it unless you have to!

Anonymous

(I’m french, and my english is not perfect :-))) My Sada Yairi is a second hand : I bought it in 1985. This is #700, a Martin D35 copy. When i bought it, it was not very beautifull because the front had receaved many hurts. But it sounds very good!!! I wanted to change this guitar, but i’ve never found a guitar as comfortable as this one… I’m very happy to see that other owner of Sada Yairi’s guitar are existing: i didn’t know Sada Yairi was a famous luthier! I’ll never sale this guitar!

Anonymous

I have number 810. Made in 1975. A copy of Martin D-35. It is an amazing guitar in both workmanship, looks and sound quality. It plays beautilfully. I would be interested in hearing from other owners.

Anonymous

: I purchased a SADA YAIRI "Luthier" No.650 back in the early 70’s. I’ve e-mailed a couple of manufacture for info. If they respond I’ll let you Know. If you find out any info on SADA’s koud you let me know, Thanks

Anonymous

Hi, I’ve got a SADA Yairi Luthier No.650 that I bought in the early 70’s. I’ve e-mailed a few people to see if I can get more info.. If you find anything out let me know. I’ll do the same.

Anonymous

Just found this post… I own a Sada Yairi Folk Guitar (# 730 -built in 1976) that I bought in 1979 in Paris. It was sold to me by Marcel Dadi himself (famous French guitar player who died in the New-york-Paris airplane crash). I love this guitar …. Louis

Anonymous

I haven’t play mine in a long time. It is a Yairi and inside it states "Sada Serial 36 Model 750 1970" There is also a stamp that I can’t quite make out. I’d appreciate any info and I was considering letting my daughter take it as a loaner. Gary

Anonymous

I also own a sada yairi #730 made in 1976. I love this guitar. Please keep up the search . Z

Anonymous

My Sada Yairi is a 740 that was made in 1975. I dearly love it. It has a three piece back like a D-45, and has aged beautifully. Incredible tone! I would like more info on S Yairi and the value of his guitars. Any help? Unc

Anonymous

: My Sada Yairi is a 740 that was made in 1975. I dearly love it. It has a three piece back like a D-45, and has aged beautifully. Incredible tone! I would like more info on S Yairi and the value of his guitars. Any help? : Unc I have a Sada Yairi model #737 made in 1976. I purchased the guitar in Springfield IL in ’76. This model has maple sides and back with a solid spruce top. I still play it all the time. I’ve never seen another like it. I finally got curious enough to see if anyone else had ever heard of these. It’s good to see I’m not alone.

Anonymous

: My Sada Yairi is a 740 that was made in 1975. I dearly love it. It has a three piece back like a D-45, and has aged beautifully. Incredible tone! I would like more info on S Yairi and the value of his guitars. Any help? : Unc I have a 1976 730 Dreadnaught Sada Yairi, I haven’t a clue as to it’s value but then I doubt if I could ever be talked into selling it. Yes they do get better with age, my advice is if you ever find a guitar you like, keep it! Cheers, Simon B.

Anonymous

I have a 1981 which I bought new w/hardshell SYairi case for $500. The model is S22 It is a jumbo shape. It has mahogany sides and back (2piece) and cedar top. It has a warm tone with a very deep bass. I love the guitar, and try to play it everyday.

Anonymous

: i bought this guitar in the late 70’s it has rosewood back and sides not laminated. a solid spruce top , rosewood finger board over maghony neck lots of binding and inlay. very nice plays nice too. i cannot find anyone who know anything about this guitar at all : if anyone knows anything about this guitar will ya let me know

Anonymous

Sorry about the double post, I have a classical Sada Yairi model 9100, can’t see a serial anywhere.Beatiful Beautiful guitar, I always thought it had false tortise shell binding but perhaps it’s real!

Viewing 20 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.