Guitarsite Homepage Forums Discussion Popular Topics Goya G-17 guitars

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

Hello-

I still have a Goya G-17 that I purchased new in the mid-late 60’s (date unsure). The
    serial number is #4095118. The sticker inside states that it is from Goya Music in
    New York, N.Y.,10010. The Goya inscription on the head is white lettering. It is still
    in excellent condition and plays beautifully. It has numerous small hairline "checks" in
    the finish on the spruce top, but none on the sides, back or neck. No dents, no
    scratches, no neck wear, and all original. The neck is "dead straight" with no
    "buzzing". Very nice indeed. I can’t even express how beautiful the tone is.

Also, recently, I purchased a considerably older G-17. The serial number is
    #101722. The sticker reads Goya Guitars Inc., New York 10, N.Y.. The Goya
    inscription on the head is gold lettering. This instrument is not in as good of condition,
    but it is still in very good condition, and it plays beautifully also. It has numerous
    "checks" on the top and back. In the very rear where the two side pieces join, it
    appears that one piece has swollen and the other shrunk and the two pieces have
    tried to separate, although they haven’t done so. If you run your finger over the joint,
    there is about a 1/2 mm difference in level of the two pieces of wood, and there are
    numerous stress marks in the finish here also. The fingerboard has 6 areas where the
    rosewood has been worn from playing the "E" and "Am" chords. The neck is "dead
    straight" with no "buzzing". Everything is original and the tone is outstanding.

I would like your opinion on each of these two instruments. Please give me your
    guess as to the time of manufacture and the approximate worth of each guitar. I have
    noticed one difference between them, even though they are both model G-17’s. The
    rosewood fingerboard of the older guitar (#101722) is rounded to match the shape
    of the sound hole, whereas my original G-17 has an artistic curve added under the
    1st and 2nd strings. Also, as mentioned above, the Goya inlay at the top of the head
    is gold on the older guitar, and white on my original instrument. Any information you
    can shed on these two guitars, would be much appreciated, since I am a long-term
    collector and very long-term player. I started playing the guitar 47 years ago, and
    have played seriously for about 40 years. I own a two Martin guitars as well. A
    1973, D-12-28, and a 1975 D-45.

I thank you for your time and opinion.

Dr. Courtland Cottrell

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

: Hello- please send quotations and dealer export price and catalogue to mr marcel rouillon victoria,mahe,seychelles

Anonymous

I think they sound like decent guitars, too old for me, but thats just my opinion. : Hello- : I still have a Goya G-17 that I purchased new in the mid-late 60’s (date unsure). The : serial number is #4095118. The sticker inside states that it is from Goya Music in : New York, N.Y.,10010. The Goya inscription on the head is white lettering. It is still : in excellent condition and plays beautifully. It has numerous small hairline "checks" in : the finish on the spruce top, but none on the sides, back or neck. No dents, no : scratches, no neck wear, and all original. The neck is "dead straight" with no : "buzzing". Very nice indeed. I can’t even express how beautiful the tone is. : Also, recently, I purchased a considerably older G-17. The serial number is : #101722. The sticker reads Goya Guitars Inc., New York 10, N.Y.. The Goya : inscription on the head is gold lettering. This instrument is not in as good of condition, : but it is still in very good condition, and it plays beautifully also. It has numerous : "checks" on the top and back. In the very rear where the two side pieces join, it : appears that one piece has swollen and the other shrunk and the two pieces have : tried to separate, although they haven’t done so. If you run your finger over the joint, : there is about a 1/2 mm difference in level of the two pieces of wood, and there are : numerous stress marks in the finish here also. The fingerboard has 6 areas where the : rosewood has been worn from playing the "E" and "Am" chords. The neck is "dead : straight" with no "buzzing". Everything is original and the tone is outstanding. : I would like your opinion on each of these two instruments. Please give me your : guess as to the time of manufacture and the approximate worth of each guitar. I have : noticed one difference between them, even though they are both model G-17’s. The : rosewood fingerboard of the older guitar (#101722) is rounded to match the shape : of the sound hole, whereas my original G-17 has an artistic curve added under the : 1st and 2nd strings. Also, as mentioned above, the Goya inlay at the top of the head : is gold on the older guitar, and white on my original instrument. Any information you : can shed on these two guitars, would be much appreciated, since I am a long-term : collector and very long-term player. I started playing the guitar 47 years ago, and : have played seriously for about 40 years. I own a two Martin guitars as well. A : 1973, D-12-28, and a 1975 D-45. : I thank you for your time and opinion. : Dr. Courtland Cottrell

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.