Guitarsite Homepage Forums Discussion Popular Topics crazy 60’s Japanese Teisco guitars

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

anybody know anything about these? i know they’re good for surf at least. there’s this big 3 single coil hollowbody with a tremolo that’s in great shape that’s beckoning me, but i’m not sure if it’s going to have the right sound. i usually set my amp to a good crunch sound and then switch between that and an ibanez tube screamer. i usually play punk, rockabilly, or reggae/ska. i know the pickups on this guitar are gonna be pretty microphonic and low output, but i’m not sure how much that should matter or not.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

: anybody know anything about these? i know they’re good for surf at least. there’s this big 3 single coil hollowbody with a tremolo that’s in great shape that’s beckoning me, but i’m not sure if it’s going to have the right sound. i usually set my amp to a good crunch sound and then switch between that and an ibanez tube screamer. i usually play punk, rockabilly, or reggae/ska. i know the pickups on this guitar are gonna be pretty microphonic and low output, but i’m not sure how much that should matter or not. I have had my Teisico for about 13 years, it was my first guitar and my favorite to play, it was 4 pu’s and has an awsome sound after a little rewireing it sounded like new its a great guitar but dont take my word for it try one.

Anonymous

Most Teiscos from the 60s had a REAL thin sound, no punch at all, very good for rockabilly, not much else. My first new electric was a Teisco, I have either it or one just like it waiting for me to do the work on it to play it. They were well made, and like most Japanese products, pretty precisely machined. Of course, nothing as good as the best guitars ever made, the Japanese guitars of the 70s, and 80s. But, for the price, they were hard to beat

Anonymous

Checkout http://www.teiscotwangers.com Its got it all…. : anybody know anything about these? i know they’re good for surf at least. there’s this big 3 single coil hollowbody with a tremolo that’s in great shape that’s beckoning me, but i’m not sure if it’s going to have the right sound. i usually set my amp to a good crunch sound and then switch between that and an ibanez tube screamer. i usually play punk, rockabilly, or reggae/ska. i know the pickups on this guitar are gonna be pretty microphonic and low output, but i’m not sure how much that should matter or not.

Anonymous

i have one

Anonymous

Hi, yeah, Teisco guitars are by far my favourite guitars, here’s what I know… in the 60s, everyone and their uncle had a band thanks to the success of the Strawberry Alarm Clock, the Velvet Underground and others, but the dominant models of the time (Les Paul, Stratocaster) were very expensive. Thus to fill the gap you had budget guitar companies, the equivalent of Jay Turser or NRG today. The difference is the budget axes back then were as good or better as their more expensive counterparts. Some of the companies in America were Supro, Harmony, Kay, Silvertone, and of course Airline which made the Res-o-glas that Jack White of the White Stripes plays today. The Japanese answer to these was Teisco, which made the coolest looking, playing guitars around. There were great inovations in apperance and design. For example, check out the sleek look of the most coveted model, the Spectrum 5. The TRE-100 (which I own) had a great built-in amp, one of the first travel guitars. Some featured 4 pickups, others looked like teardrops, stars or even tulips! These guitars were basically designed for surf music (Dick Dale/Beach Boys) and rockabilly but were reapropriated in the 90s by Nirvana and other such groups. Today they are primarily used by bands like The White Stripes. Teiscos are a collector’s dream basically because they look so cool! They play super well too and distort well. I say for rockabilly and ska the guitar you described should be good depending on the condition of the pickups & wiring. And there you go!

Anonymous

Also, forgot to add that any guitars made by Teisco under the "Del Ray" sub brand are very worthy indeed. These are the very angular, spiny looking bright blue or red ones with the 3-D aluminium pickguard, 4 pickups, a toggle switch that has 3 options: bass, rhythm or solo, and a big fat silver whammy bar. I’m not sure of the serial numbers but you can find them on eBay all the time (they usually go for about $225 US).

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.