Click to visit Sweetwater Click to visit Gearank

Home Forums Discussion Popular Topics Marwin Guitar

• Creator
    Topic
    Anonymous

[The body of this post has been reconstituted from replies so it may differ from what was originally written.] Is anyone familiar with "Marwin" guitars? I have one and am stumped about the maker, origin, history, etc. Please reply. (I have a pictures if that will help) Thanks, Len

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
    Replies
      Anonymous

Hi all! Marwin is the ancestral predecessor to my last name. My son is a guitarist, and I would love to find one to pass on to him. Anyone know of a good player for sale?

Anonymous

Hello Dave. I have 1 I’d be interested in selling. What’s your email?

Anonymous

Thanks for the very helpful info peeps. Anyone ever start a table of serial numbers like the Ludwig archives for drums? All this 4 string Marwin has is a SN, no dates, no model info, no origin. Mine is 494-970

Anonymous

I have a Marwin that displays a sticker inside saying it was made by KAY. See reverb for pics.

Anonymous

Marwin guitars were made by Harmony guitars for the Tonk Bro’s Co. in Chicago. Tonk Bro’s was a local music store. I have a Marwin No. 1. It appears to be all Birch, with a nice checkered binding and the art deco headstock. It had already had a neck reset when I got it on ebay. I took it to a local luthier and had the following work done: re-fret, couple of cracks cleated, new floating bridge, new tuners and a pick up installed. Has a great old time blues sound and is a killer slide guitar. I would probably never get back what I put into it financially but I don’t care. I have an almost 100 year old guitar that’s plays and sounds fantastic – old time blues to the max! I’ll try to post some pics.

Anonymous

I have a 1940’s Marwin 4 star guitar that I am selling for $250 if anyone is interested.

Anonymous

Hi, I may be interested, let me know if your Marwin 4 Star Archtop is still available,
        Thanks, Mike

Anonymous

I have a cpl marwin guitars. Both were made around 1933. Both are archtop. There marwin 4stars. Yes I believe they were made by harmony. The marwins seem to be a higher quality then a normal harmony. They are sought after and depending on there condition can sell for $250 or more. They have a sound that many of us prefer. I collect kay guitars and can say for certain the marwins are a little higher quality.

Anonymous

I too came into possession of a Marwin Ultra. It is in beautiful condition except for a deteriorated pick guard and the neck slightly pulled. I’m wondering if expending the money to recondition would be worth the investment.

Anonymous

I recently found a Marwin guitar while cleaning out a house. It appears to be in excellent condition. The only thing written on the whole guitar is the name Marwin on the head. On the inside it just says “Made in USA”. It appears old. Can anyone help give me an idea of what its worth or its origin?
      Thanks in advance.
      Jason

Anonymous

i picked up a marwin 4 star archtop what little i found out is that marwin made guitars in the same plant as harmony from 1935-1940

Anonymous

Actually, Harmony made their instruments under a wide variety of different names for various distributors and store brands, and Marwin was one of these. Practically all of the older Airline and Silvertone brands (Monkey Wards and Sears)were made by Harmony and Harmony’s main competitor, Kay, for example. There’s an old Silvertone archtop presently on eBay that’s identical to Marwins I’ve seen.

Anonymous

: Is anyone familiar with "Marwin" guitars? I have one and am stumped about the maker, origin, history, etc. : Please reply. (I have a pictures if that will help) : Thanks, Len

Anonymous

len,i have a marwin "super" that belonged to my father and my grandfather. i have never found out anything about it either. all i can tell you is that it is from before the 50’s.

Anonymous

: Is anyone familiar with "Marwin" guitars? I have one and am stumped about the maker, origin, history, etc. : Please reply. (I have a pictures if that will help) : Thanks, Len I have a Marwin Clef, archtop and have the same questions as you

Anonymous

Hey…im asking the same thing. I just got my hands on one from the 40’s

Anonymous

Hi Len,

Like you I have a Marwin and no one else has heard of them.Mine is an arch-top acoustic With 2 f-holes.It says Marwin Ultra on the Headstock. The body is sound but the neck and finger board are off and I have no hardware.I wanted to get some history before I spent anything rebuilding it.I have posted on another site and have had no luck.Good luck to you and let us know what you hear. Thanks, Joe

Anonymous

:Hi Len, I too have a Marvin Guitar. It is a beautiful arch top. I have unable to find out anything at this time. I will keep looking and E you if get anything.
      : Is anyone familiar with "Marwin" guitars? I have one and am stumped about the maker, origin, history, etc.
      : : Please reply. (I have a pictures if that will help)
      : : Thanks, Len

Anonymous

: Is anyone familiar with "Marwin" guitars? I have one and am stumped about the maker, origin, history, etc.
      : Please reply. (I have a pictures if that will help)
      : Thanks, Len

Anonymous

I have a Marwin Electone, I have found it was made in 1940. I recieved this as a give several years ago and it still plays and is in good shape.

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.